• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

General catch all for new forum software.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:15 AM
-->
Many would have noticed that visitor/profile messages are visible to the public. There is an option to remove this widget from this space, but not sure if anyone else cares or is bothered by it.

As far as I am concerned, visitor messages reside closer to the domain of private conversation, and I therefore wouldn't want to encourage just anyone to interact with these. In these days of public surveillance and people watching from just about anywhere (paranoid much?) I have become somewhat sensitised to attention - don't know about anyone else.

Not that I've got anything to hide - if that was the case, I'd obviously use PM, but sometimes you just cannot be bothered with PMs as they are kind of, err...committed to a higher level of interaction.

Also, green smilies - yay :bats:

Last edited:

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
Today 11:15 AM
-->
I was wondering if you could make it so that the place where it shows text extends to form fitting with the width of the screen for PC.

I can't, not being a CSS Wizard, but Auburn/Kuu may if they think it suitable.

I really like the new quieter pale straw colour on the Post Reply button, replacing a dull orange I think. Maybe the astoundingly unattractive orange balloons which spoil the Forums listing on the front page could also go that way ?

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
I think Profile Messages were always public on vBulletin. I would need more input before messing around with that.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
XenForo automatically associates with StopForumSpam, but to be on the safe side I made a new API Key there and added that here ( maybe the old one was linked to the vBulletin structure in some way ).

There was also a slot for a Project Honey Pot key, so I dug out my old account ( from 2012 for another site ) updated and am looking to insert a Honey Pot on a subdomain if permitted, and to donate an MX Entry. Go thou and do likewise.

Checked with Tapatalk after re-inserting it here and they couldn't find the account. They issued a verification text, and should sort it soon.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I think Profile Messages were always public on vBulletin. I would need more input before messing around with that.

I am referring to the fact that new visitor messages are now highly visible on the forum home page. Apologies if that wasn’t clear.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Ah, I dislike that sort of thing myself. And forum portals generally.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 7:15 AM
-->
It’s a green triangle on the avatar (or at least it is on mobile)

Yeah, I could see a green triangle on the upper left corner of the avatars, on my PC.

The funny thing is, I had turned that option off (to show others my online status) but could still see a green marking for my own account. I am looking now and I can still see a green marking (because I'm obviously online) and I can see Anime's being on, but some others are off. So I don't know why my light is still on, if I chose to disable that in my Privacy selections.

Anyway, yeah, that's where the light is.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
So are we going to discuss the “like” feature or will we all just pretend it’s not there

I’m scared to use it because it feels uncool lol

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 12:15 PM
-->
Similar to AK I see like button only on profile's msg. As for me it can be everywhere and nowhere I don't have preferences here. Don't care I guess.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yes. The problem I have with that widget is that even if your profile details are set to members view only, your latest VM will of course be publicly visible on the home page when it is posted on member’s profiles that have not disabled public visibility. I am not sure if it would show up if both were disabled - I’d have to post on a profile that has disabled public view to find out.

Anyway, I’m perhaps just being a bit nit-picky.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
So far... The wretched sidebar seems mandatory, at least until I figure out a way to put it a Footer block and move all those elements ( as in WordPress, called Widgets ) therein.

However I eliminated profile posts widgets... And Share This Page. Who's gonna go on Twitter and share the forum front page with Trumpertino the Magnificent ?

Also we still have to get back more navigation bars and the horde of unasked for links --- the list exists.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
I think it can go. There are no angsty teens in INTPForum.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Obviously the personal editing of posts time allowance will have to go down eventually, but in the mean time:

SELECT Silent Edit each time, to prevent that annoying 'Last Edited' addition.

vBull did have an off switch to disable the stupid thing, but here it's a fee-paying add-on.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 5:15 AM
-->

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
I think it can go. There are no angsty teens in INTPForum.

No angsty teens lol.

I would have “liked” this post. :horseshit:

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
I was wondering if you could make it so that the place where it shows text extends to form fitting with the width of the screen for PC.

I looked into the settings, it seemed to be using fixed pixel setups for working out the responsive size tiers, so I just set it to a narrow width almost identical to the older forum style, but I'll look where / if I can tweak it to be based on window res or %.

But from a typography/readability standpoint, you shouldn't have huge line lengths. :beatyou:

Maybe the astoundingly unattractive orange balloons which spoil the Forums listing on the front page could also go that way ?

I'm still doing some changes to the styles, unfortunately a lot of the buttons and icons seem to have uniquely set colors hidden somewhere in the templates so they can't just be fixed in the global styles settings (though even the global styles settings are rather unwieldy to navigate). I think some of the green ones are fine since they match the overall palette decently, as well as our green smileys...

I'm thinking about maybe removing the colored border on the left of all quote blocks, it looks a bit distracting, but perhaps it's just the unfamiliarity. Maybe also increase the padding and margin, they're a bit tight as is.

So far... The wretched sidebar seems mandatory, at least until I figure out a way to put it a Footer block and move all those elements ( as in WordPress, called Widgets ) therein.

I'm pretty sure it can be done, just need to find them in the damned templates. That's how I fixed the avatar size and usernames from the hideous defaults.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 6:15 AM
-->
I looked into the settings, it seemed to be using fixed pixel setups for working out the responsive size tiers, so I just set it to a narrow width almost identical to the older forum style, but I'll look where / if I can tweak it to be based on window res or %.

But from a typography/readability standpoint, you shouldn't have huge line lengths. :smiley-emoticons-aufsmaul:

Thanks. I think there might be a way to have differences in the width through different skins, but I am not sure on this. I think that might be a viable option???

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Thanks. I think there might be a way to have differences in the width through different skins, but I am not sure on this. I think that might be a viable option???

Yes, there could be a child style with a more full size width I suppose.

Also I figured out that moving the sidebar was very easy, just needed to edit the widgets!

EDIT:

You can now use the Full Width or Wide style variants. The styles button is at the lower left.

Last edited:

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Yes, there could be a child style with a more full size width I suppose.

Also I figured out that moving the sidebar was very easy, just needed to edit the widgets!

EDIT:

You can now use the Full Width or Wide style variants. The styles button is at the lower left.

Perfect. Thank you.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
I'm gonna think one can do that old school.

Close the gaps in brackets:

[ quote=Jon ] [ quote=Verney ] [ quote=Basil ] [ quote=Jon ] I downloaded 25GB of Metropolitan Museum of Art publications for free yesterday [ /quote ] Over 500 pdfs ? [ /quote ] Can you give the link ? [ /quote ] Sure [ /quote ]

Jon said:
Verney said:
Basil said:
Jon said:
I downloaded 25GB of Metropolitan Museum of Art publications for free yesterday
Over 500 pdfs ?
Can you give the link ?
Sure

There's some culture for you !

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Could the admins (IDK which one) change the color of the spoiler button? Blue seems like it doesn't quite fit. Would prefer the gold/yellow color that has become so much apart of this forum.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
That's marvellous ! Now the front page looks like a decent forum.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
No more pointless bubbles!

[Edit] Oh, bubbles are still there. I was looking at the new posts section. Would be nifty if the home page looked like the new page.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 10:15 PM
-->
I kinda dig the vertical line down the side of quotes and spoilers

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
I've spent quite some time fixing the buttons, it's been such a pain because of hidden css / .js dependencies that caused errors, but I think I finally managed to get them those annoying ones fixed.

No more pointless bubbles!

[Edit] Oh, bubbles are still there. I was looking at the new posts section. Would be nifty if the home page looked like the new page.

They're not useless, they mark the forums / threads that you haven't seen. Since the forum is slow at the moment you're not likely to notice them if you are in it all the time. I have, however, reduced the brightness when they're marked as read, as well as made the icons slightly smaller.

I kinda dig the vertical line down the side of quotes and spoilers

I like it too, now that I've reduced it to just 1px instead of 3.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Spoiler looks much better now.

@Kuu I see what you are saying. I just don't like what they look like. *shrug*

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
How about now? The icons are just fontawesome icons, so any from there should mostly work. I put a much nicer message icon, I think it's much better. Though the triangles also looked ok...

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
WAY better.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Ok so after many hours I think nearly everything should be decently working. There might be some unusual window or button with odd colors hiding somewhere that I missed, please report them so they can get fixed...

:cthulhu:

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Is it just me or is the search just completely disfunctional?

Also I managed to find and enable the multi-quote feature. Yes I know the colors are still mesed up. Indeed I discovered some really annoying colors I missed on some of the mod/admin stuff too :ahh:

Besides that, noticed some of the smileys got broken in the transition (new names aren't the same as old), will have to check if it can be resolved. And speaking of smileys, there surely must be a way to make the smiley container into a pop-up, it's completely unacceptable as-is.

By the way, we have user mentions now! Just @ (username)... I really missed that feature when it got removed.

Last edited:

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Yeah, there were two : ninja:, I renamed one of them to the old ( and strange ) name of : phear:
And seeing the : storks: didn't come up, renamed the confused birds to that.

The Search doesn't work at all. Then the vBulletin Search is always a crap-shoot on any website.

:ninja:

Many thanks for all your hard work.

:phear:

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Note: 'Friendly Urls' has been enabled as is only right and proper.

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Update: still wrestling with Tapatalk. Although installed, they need to enable, and they didn't recognise my old Tapatalk password --- making a new account didn't work. Emailed and they sent a verification txt to go in the root; but they haven't replied yet.

And this place needs a key in the options only accessible from that account.

However disabled all ads in Tapatalk in the options here.

On a similar note, I added the site to my own Project Honey Pot account, [ Spammer Catchers ] but they can't see the php file they provide for the root. URLJet is looking into this.

Added a Project HP key here easily [ apparently one's own key is purely singular and can be added to as many sites as one wants ]; there wasn't this option under the old vbull.

Project Honey Pot is rather complicated at the best of times, but apart from it working here I would like several Honey Pots added, and to donate an MX Entry in the DNS.

Thirdly I should like to announce my irrevocable distrust of CloudFlare. Also of any place where data is held separately to the integral website, leading to disruption when the other sites fail.

And fail they will, just as will this one day, and Google etc.; websites are like hard disks, not meant for immortality.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
-->
SELECT Silent Edit each time, to prevent that annoying 'Last Edited' addition.
Um. And where is button for this? I edited two posts and this addition is there. :skeptical:

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Dunno. It appeared yesterday when I edited a post of mine.

There no permission option in any user group ( I rather think it was a time setting in vBulletin ) other vBull forums I joined had the utterly absurd time of 5 minutes, giving the unpleasant choice between not editing or editing and having your post spoilt. They are very stupid people,

XenForo not providing this, I found an add-on for ver 2, but it costs cash.

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/remove-last-edited.5621/

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
-->
$25 /year + more additions. i don't know if this is good deal or not and if removing 'last edited' is even important for others. :confused:
tho irritating to see every time . :slash: Sigh. I don't like it! Maybe i will learn to fix posts in 5 minutes...:yuk:
(using greenies feels so good !!!:hearts::inlove::D)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 7:15 AM
-->

Profile Messages are typically public on vBull, so members anywhere typically grasp that anyone can see the messages on their profile wall.

What I did notice that is different here is that there is a feed for Profile Messages on the right hand side to actively show all profile wall activity even if it's not your wall or your messages. I didn't read the whole thread so this might have been answered already, I just wonder if the feed can be turned off. the messages themselves were fine. (if this has been resolved, just ignore me and my lazy ass posting)

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
The feed was turned off yesterday, even before Kuu's marvellous reworking that sent the sidebar way down south where it should be.

Quite a few options have been made privater. Can't see why we should be intrusive.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
While the new profile posts feed was removed from the sidebar, it still exists, and annoyingly there is no simple way to disable it.

Both What's New and Members tabs at the top had a link to a New Profile Posts page that can be removed from the dropdown menu, as I've done, but if you go to new posts or any of the other stuff in what's new, the damned New Profile Posts is still there. This probably requires removing it from the templates.

EDIT: It has now been banished for good.

Last edited:

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
Maybe i will learn to fix posts in 5 minutes..

No need, for the next month or so editing time is unlimited, then to 2 days. A when editing just watch out at the base of the post for two boxes, one of which says 'Edit Silently' with an explanation.

I saw it today as well.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
I spent some time categorizing the smileys and reverting them to their older codes, but its been tedious and I honestly don't remember some of the codes and there's several i'm just conflicted about. Probably about half of the green smileys still have wrong codes.

If i could use search that would be easier, but its not functional yet...

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
-->
I just rebuilt the Search Index, and deleted the old one, maybe that will newly improve it.

Took about and hour and a half for 571,532 posts. Or more: to the number reported on the front page add a couple of thousand; and also to profile posts and threads as well...

Best to watch out for Search add-ons for ver 02; XenForo itself sells an Enhanced Search *, at $50, says better for VPS or higher rather than Shared. They charge $250 to remove the tiny XenForo copyright notice below. We can probably live with it.

There's also an add-on for using Google Search Engine, and though I've used something similar elsewhere, I'm getting wary of giving Google more over-reach.

Both vBull and Invision have blogging suites, but I can't find any suitable add-on for now.

* 'It is important that the files on the server and what you're uploading are "merged". Otherwise you may break your XenForo installation.'

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Thanks to google cache I've been able to locate the former codes of all (or most) of the smileys. There are some that strangely I can't seem to locate, perhaps they were in the server but unused? In any case they are added now, though their codes are likely subject to change soon, so try to not use the green ones in uncategorized or any from OLD. They're also now conveniently categorized which makes the interface mildly less annoying.

I also took the time to rename the codes of some of the most obscurely or annoyingly named ones. Worry not old farts, the former codes will still work :smoker:, Xenforo allows us to have multiple codes per smiley. But on the editor only the newer codes will show up on the tool tips.

Some were simplified, removing extraneous numbers and text like:
borg0 > borg
viking0 > viking
angel01 > angel
ahh04 > ahh
Emotifin2-1 > dolphin
delphin20 > happydolphin
smiley-emoticons-mr > bats
icon_tinykitball > tinykitball
icon_starwars > starwars
ninjahidewhite > ninjahide
and so on...

Others were translated (as well as simplified):
hertzen02 > hearts,
icon_pferdehaufen > horseshit
schweinegrippe > pigs
segen > rip
ritterarmbrust > knightcrossbow
omasesselkatze > grandma
brautpaar > newlyweds
aufsmaul > beatyou
fipsaufsmaul > beatyoukitty
gottwor > worship

The hoplites got more descriptive instead, because the numbers made no sense:
hoplit03 > hoplite_spear_kill
hoplite > hoplite_army

I trust it will make it easier for people to remember and use. :musketeers:

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 10:15 PM
-->
Can latest posts be longer than three? I feel like having latest threads and posts is kinda pointless because if you have a latest post it's the most recently updated thread. Might just be me but if I come home after working I want to be able to see what's been updated quickly and if it's just three I'm probably missing out on most of it. (because I'm clearly to lazy to set my home page to latest posts) Hmm maybe I should just do that.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
I feel like having latest threads and posts is kinda pointless because if you have a latest post it's the most recently updated thread.
Not so, under periods of high activity a new, unknown thread could easily get buried under the barrage of posts on older, hot threads. I suggest you use the new posts button at the top or what's new section, it's easier to get to with the floating navigation bar. You lazy bastard. :mad:

Top Bottom