• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Bill gates announced a divorce

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:59 AM
-->
After 27 years of marraige,bill gates is getting a divorce.

What is your view of this subject and the idea of marriage

Deleted member 1424

I always thought it was super creepy. I find it difficult to see the appeal of a sex/possession contract signed in blood and semen, all while regulated by the goddamn government and the church. Still though, if I turn my head and squint I can see the point of certain legal and medical protections and as an archaic economic structure.

High entertainment value though, I'll give it that. The tradition makes fools of a lot of fools and there is no finer drama than a messy divorce.

Deleted member 1424

Word on the vine is she's divorcing him over Epstein. So that's fun.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:59 PM
-->
I find it difficult to see the appeal of a sex/possession contract signed in blood and semen
I wish to believe people capable of having genuine affection for one another, that love is something real and committing to a monogamous relationship for the sake of stability and raising a family can be something beautiful.

And if not, if humanity is nothing more than its constituent elements then those resources could be put to better use and nothing of value would be lost.

I'm not saying everyone has to do the monogamy thing, or even that your observations are inaccurate, just that you're pressing my "kill all humans" button and could you kindly not do that?

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 7:59 AM
-->
I'm with Bill during these challenging times
He need us all.

Deleted member 1424

I wish to believe people capable of having genuine affection for one another, that love is something real and committing to a monogamous relationship for the sake of stability and raising a family can be something beautiful.

The former is not contingent on the latter. You may be surprised to find, that it is the lofty esteem in which I hold human connection and affection that leads me to such a perspective in the first place. I recognize that not everyone sees marriage as a perverse cultural artifact that twists the bonds between people into something ugly. Sometimes they may even be right. Regardless, marriage is not the be-all end-all of human relational virtue. If it's the only relationship in their life that someone values, then that is an empty, shallow life, that I shudder to imagine. I'd suggest they treat the other people in their life better and value them as well.

And if not, if humanity is nothing more than its constituent elements then those resources could be put to better use and nothing of value would be lost.
Well I do rather think humans are just the same as rocks. Myself too; I'm not a solipsist. We're all just bits of matter reacting to that which it encounters. Why should this be horrifying? I rather like the paradoxes it invites when analyzing humans behavoir and systems. It's good fun.

I'm not saying everyone has to do the monogamy thing, or even that your observations are inaccurate, just that you're pressing my "kill all humans" button and could you kindly not do that?

Here, I'll try to unpress it with a catch-22. Violence is undeniably the recourse of the stupid. To resort to omnicide is simply the self-admission that you aren't clever enough to make efficient use of human resources. If you are not clever, you shouldn't be the deciding factor on the question of human eradication.

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
Today 1:59 AM
-->
I guess this really shouldn't be a surprise. Rich and powerful -> power corrupts -> not angels. Gates is and still is a cut-throat businessman ready to do what needs to be done to succeed. And I'm sure that pours over into his dominance as a person in everything he does. It's almost a personality trait that one needs to have in order to get rich and powerful. It's like an extension of their DNA/soul.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm getting married to get a 50% tax deduction and cheaper healthcare. Also we're doing it to pretend that we are a super normal heteronormative couple so that people of my sick country don't burn us at the stake.

With no plans to have kids, the works of art that I create are my children and I devote my whole life to productivity and to my partner, but I sure am going to pretend that I'm planning a child next week so that everyone gets off my case.

Having a child is a 12 hour a day job with overtime and minimal social payout. To have a child I would have to spend less time with my partner, less time with my cats, my friends and other family and less time on doing interesting things.

It would be cool to interact with a smart kid that's developing into a healthy adult that's also your good friend with similar interests, but there's a mountain of responsibilities that don't make it remotely reasonable.

Divorce after 27 years for a couple with no financial interdependence seems odd. Like it must have been motivated by something recent otherwise it would have lasted for another 50 years. One side must have decided they've had enough of the compounding annoyances and the kids are old enough to survive it, or the other side must have done something despicable.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 2:59 PM
-->
I'm sort of suprised. But I guess money can tend to corrupt. Im more interested in how their kids think, not about the couple themselves. The era certainly is one of postmodernism, for the nuclear family. Weird and changing times. Imagine how many people's perspectives changed because of this. Bill Gates influenced a lot in the developed world. Lots of kids perceptions are going to change. Also screw paragraphs cause Im lazy.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
fuck, why doesnt it happen earlier

why does it happen after 27 years

when did things start to go south

maybe man and women should just live together and not marry, and go seperate ways when they feel like it. Or have 2 marriages to seal a pact. one first, and then a 2nd one after 10 years. but it still doesnt guareentee a crisis and sudden breakup.

Top Bottom