• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why MBTI? A rebuttal.

LOGICZOMBIE

welcome to thought club
Local time
Today 12:12 AM
-->
If your MBTI type can change from day to day, what's the point?

Individual results may vary less. Some will consistently show INTP, other's may oscillate between INTP and INTJ or INTP and ENTP for example.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 5:12 AM
-->
If your MBTI type can change from day to day, what's the point?

Individual results may vary less. Some will consistently show INTP, other's may oscillate between INTP and INTJ or INTP and ENTP for example.
It sounds as if you're of the view that I/E, J/P and NT/ST/NF/SF are independent of each other.

LOGICZOMBIE

welcome to thought club
Local time
-->
It sounds as if you're of the view that I/E, J/P and NT/ST/NF/SF are independent of each other.

Yes.

Many INTPs have reported they function as INTJs "at work".

I've noticed that I effortlessly shift to an ENTP stance when I'm around INTP friends.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 5:12 AM
-->

Yes.

Many INTPs have reported they function as INTJs "at work".

I've noticed that I effortlessly shift to an ENTP stance when I'm around INTP friends.
If INTP and INTJ were different personality types, then they would have 2 different personalities, and would be 2 different people.

So if these people show both the traits of INTPs and INTJs, they would have multiple personalities in the same person, and thus would have Multiple Personality Disorder.

If they had MPD, then other people would see and react to the same symptoms as those of people with MPD. When their friends and family rang them at work, they would experience them as having a different personality and thus as a different person.

So more than likely, you're saying that some people have a personality that behaves like the stereotype of an INTJ at work and the stereotype of an INTP at home. Those people have the same personality, and thus the same personality type.

Ergo, the online descriptions of INTPs and INTJs that people read online and often assume are the nature of what it means to be an INTP or an INTJ, describe roles.

"Reciprocal roles" are the typical roles we use to decide how to behave in real life situations, e.g. student and teacher, parent and child, employer and employee, etc.

An absent-minded professor that works at a university and who is married, and whose wife and university take care of most of their basic needs so they can think about the big ideas and advance humanity, would be this sort of a role.

But this doesn't describe the personality, rather the way different types of people behave in different types of situations.

A person is the totality of set of the different ways they behave in different situations, e.g. when stressed, you behave one way, and when relaxed, you behave in another.

E.G. if someone is an INTJ at work when it matters and an INTP at home when it doesn't, that person is a person with a personality, and thus with a type of personality.

LOGICZOMBIE

welcome to thought club
Local time
-->
So more than likely, you're saying that some people have a personality that behaves like the stereotype of an INTJ at work and the stereotype of an INTP at home. Those people have the same personality, and thus the same personality type.

Yeah, MBTI is more of a "general problem solving strategy" and not really a "static and unchanging immutable core identity".

LOGICZOMBIE

welcome to thought club
Local time
-->
if someone is an INTJ at work when it matters and an INTP at home when it doesn't

You seem to be one of those "live to work" types.

I personally prefer to "work to live".

My personal life is significantly more meaningful than my job.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:12 PM
-->

Have you reached self-actualization?

Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

LOGICZOMBIE

welcome to thought club
Local time
-->

Have you reached self-actualization?

Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

It's not so much of a "hierarchy". It can be thought of as four primary locations,

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:12 PM
-->
pinky pie is ENFP
sonny is INFJ

NeFi vs NiFe (can you tell the difference?)

uRrcSLm.png

Local time
Today 6:12 AM
-->
Your MBTI is a general problem-solving-strategy, NOT a "personality".
MBTI tries to transcend beyond neuroscience and psychology altogether. Notwithstanding the fact that there are tomes of literature lying around that talk about how difficult it is to measure even a single personality trait and its phenotypic expressions, MBTI happily lumps people into categories as if it has successfully integrated psychology with neuroscience. MBTI should be restricted to TV Show character analyses. It lacks all the theoretical moorings required to be even called a science.

Despite being an 'INTP', I show traits of various personality types across the MBTI - INTJ, INFJ, INFP and all of them apply equally likely to me. My sensory perception is also strong enough to get me deemed as a Sensor. In fact, I kept receiving ISTP for a long time until I realized that the sadass questionnaire tries to implement a zero-sum strategy that can be better applied to microorganisms' rudimentary functions.

MBTI should be represented with caricatures. For example - An INTP has a big brain and an ISTP has big hands and an ESTP has a big dick and an ENFP has big lips, etc
I'm a ESTP thanks for the compliment dude

Top Bottom