• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why do we like online tests?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 12:23 PM
-->
I was recently called out for being a bit of a stick in the mud about a test:
Yes because I take these tests seriously and know that their accuracy is superb.

It was a fun test, I put it in the tests subform, negative reactions so far, this will be added to my mental notes.

I guess in my mind, people can say they're not taking the tests seriously, but at some level I think they might be? Not because they're necessarily completely ignorant of the goals of the test maker, though a lot of people do seem clueless about it (elsewhere). I expect most of our residents understand the insidious nature of these tests. But somehow they're still worth doing, and not just once. We have some seriously serial test takers here.

To be clear, by 'serious' I mean that the test is in some way meaningful to the user. Not that they trust results 100% or anything like that. If it's not meaningful, why do it?

So if you don't take the affirmation seriously, what's the joy? Why do you want to be tested? Why do you want to share your results? Why do you want others to share theirs?

I've taken my fair share of these tests too. My reasoning for doing so is unclear even to myself. I think I probably like the comparisons? When a test only gives a raw score I'm disappointed. I want that comparative statistic so I get a better idea of where I'm at. I want the feedback.

What about you?

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 11:53 AM
-->
It speaks to you, basically.

I haven't taken one in a while, though :o

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 8:53 PM
-->
The results of an online quiz have no consequences. When you take real tests like college entrance exams then there are serious consequences. When doing an online quiz you can feel challenged and focused in a less strenuous setting. It is fun because you put your best effort into it and you get rewarded with results that reflect that effort. This is a joke I once heard that reflects when people take tests too seriously: Animekitty is so dumb he called the doctor 5 time to check if he passed or failed his blood test. (blood tests do not go by grades but by levels of substances in the body, there is no pass or fail)

People like tests because people like putting in mental effort. When I have no mental energy I cannot do quizzes. Also, I find some tests to be boring or not well put together. Fun tests have levels of mental effort so a person can go up to the point things get too hard but the rest was a good challenge. People like to see how well others can do because it is a sign of some kind of mental ability. It is not a measure of everything but a subset of a very small domain. MBTI tests are popular and that is not even a linear scale. The test should make differences distinct so a person can get the cognitive processes behind actions, not that the actions show specific functions manifesting. MBTI tests are not so serious either. It is just a way to imperfectly see how you operate mentally.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 10:53 AM
-->
I just see online tests as a very simple game with certain conditions that gets a win (test result). In a sense, it is a form of play that helps you relax and give you somewhat useful experience in handling real ones.

Of course IRL tests are another story entirely.

Local time
Today 3:53 AM
-->
we like authority figures to tell us which little boxes we belong in so we can know who we "are"

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:53 AM
-->
It's kinda like monogamous relationships - it makes the run-off-the-mill person out there feel special and relevant.

That's how you shit on monogamous relationships, tests, and most people out there -- in a single sentence. Pretty neat, huh?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Yesterday 10:53 PM
-->
I think people hope they will learn something new and insightful about themselves... or at least "feel known" if they can use the test as a mirror to reflect things they already believe about themselves. And since it's a test, it justifies their self-impression.

That can also be another reason why typology took off in the last two decades.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 4:53 AM
-->
yeah, sure. everyone soooo insecure :cat:
like noone can be bored and do this to entertain him/herself
you guys sucks in this reading between lines.
That all reaction "OH WTF PHD" its telling volume though ;););)
and who is virtue signaler now?
Hado when bored = 4chan spawn for lulz old style

Deleted member 1424

Well.... it's pretty much a given that everyone here has at least taken some version of the mbti, multiple times, in an effort to understand themselves. So idk what my point is, but it's funny to me.

There was a time in the early internet when many these tests were mostly for legitimate fun rather than the ad exploits they are today. I don't use facebook myself, but I know it's chalk full of similar clickbait nonsense that even gets people to hand over private information. The Phd test was considerably less insidious than that at least.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 12:23 PM
-->
@washti
Boredom is not a driving motivator, it's simply a lack of stimulation. Even if you are bored, you still have agency over the things you choose to do. Therefore, I don't think boredom is sufficient justification for any action. It's only one element of the function, but people treat is like it's sufficient reasoning for the actions they took.

Boredom only drives you to take an action. There are still forces (whether conscious or not) that dictate what action you end up choosing.

So when people say they do stuff because they're bored, it feels like an evasion. Like they don't want to question their motives too closely. And that's fine too, if people don't want to say, they don't have to answer. I'm just curious is all.

I can understand why anyone would take issue with me deciding what motivates them when people profess to be driven by boredom. That's why I'm asking the question. I have a tendency to be cynical about the intentions myself and others, so I thought I'd give people a chance to speak for themselves.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 4:53 AM
-->
"The real force behind me is agency I dont want to know.
Though I know what drives other, I will ask them. My cynical self always knew deep down they serious about this tests. Afterall whatever people do - its meaningful for them. I see that intricate structure of their motives. But if its about me I cannot see. "
- HADO the Sage

VS
I project my discomfort when someone take credit for something undeserved. Like serious title for silly online test. Its unpleasant anyone can have positive vibes about such a occurrence.

Also it helps sometimes when you add in your head several emoticones to AK posts. <pensive face>

0neKiwi

Unstable
Local time
Yesterday 8:53 PM
-->
One might take tests to categorize themselves-> but that later becomes an effort to stick to the actions one thinks is reasonable according to the test results

One might take tests to find a reason to explain something about themselves-> after all, humans made up reasons if they couldn't explore the unknown

One might also take tests to know what others would think of them: I think that a reason why people would rather take subjective tests than tests on what people know is because they can personalize the results and relate to society in a way that isn't always "above average" or "below average."

Basically, it is a psychological thing. I don't know too much about it.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 9:53 PM
-->
I have taken very few tests that I felt like "Yes, this is who I am." That includes MBTI. I think my prefered typology is DISC actually. That nails me pretty well.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Yesterday 10:53 PM
-->
I have taken very few tests that I felt like "Yes, this is who I am." That includes MBTI. I think my prefered typology is DISC actually. That nails me pretty well.

What was your DISC outcome? (I'm mainly an SC.)

One thing about why DISC isn't more popular is that it's a test you typically have to pay for while MBTI has proliferated all over the net and simplified greatly.

Also, the two systems aren't the same thing. DISC was designed to look at your worklife facet and personality can be different outside of the workplace; it's just looking at certain aspects of personality. MBTI is supposed to identify preferences that overlap the various life spaces, broader and more comprehensive.

I think the four interaction/working styles sometimes used in conjunction with MBTI are more similar to DISC... (Get Things Going, Behind the Scenes, Chart the Course, In Charge)

http://www.bestfittype.com/Models/InteractionStyles.cfm

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 9:53 PM
-->
I'm CDS

Top Bottom