• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What movies are you looking forward to?

Czech Yes or No

Personality is only a small part of your person.
Local time
Yesterday 11:08 PM
-->
Mine:
Prometheus
The Hobbit

Local time
-->
Skyfall, The Hobbit, Men in Black 3, Bourne Legacy, the eventual Arrested Development movie, and the new Pixar film, Brave.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 12:08 AM
-->
Going off the IMDB release list for this year:

#1 choice, hands down: Prometheus. (that looks awesome!)

Others that I've got good vibes about:
Brave
Bourne Legacy
The Dark Knight Rises
Looper
Skyfall

Others I'm interested in but could end up being real dogs:
The Avengers [don't hate me]
Chernobyl Diaries [yes, it's stupid, but it looks fun]
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter [again, looks fun]
The Amazing Spiderman
Total Recall (remake)
The Expendables 2
Wreck-It Ralph
Gravity
The Great Gatsby (Baz Luhrmann)

...Meanwhile, I just saw The Cabin in the Woods. That was fun. :)

Mello

Gone.
Local time
Yesterday 9:08 PM
-->
Going off the IMDB release list for this year:

#1 choice, hands down: Prometheus. (that looks awesome!)

Others that I've got good vibes about:
Brave
Bourne Legacy
The Dark Knight Rises
Looper
Skyfall

Others I'm interested in but could end up being real dogs:
The Avengers [don't hate me]
Chernobyl Diaries [yes, it's stupid, but it looks fun]
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter [again, looks fun]
The Amazing Spiderman
Total Recall (remake)
The Expendables 2
Wreck-It Ralph
Gravity
The Great Gatsby (Baz Luhrmann)

...Meanwhile, I just saw The Cabin in the Woods. That was fun. :)

I kind of want to see all of those movies also.

We should go together.

I'll pay.

psion

used to fly like Peter Pan
Local time
-->
Went to see The Cabin in the Woods on opening day (Joss Whedon fan) and I recommend it. It pokes fun at most other horror movies while also being funny and gory.

In no particular order:

The Hobbit
The Avengers
Skyfall
The Amazing Spiderman
Dark Shadows (It makes fun of vampire movies and has Johnny Depp so I may watch it)
The Bourne Legacy
Prometheus
The Expendables 2
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (I am not ashamed)
The Dark Knight Rises
Resident Evil: Retribution
Looper (Looks damn interesting)
Elysium sounds like it might be interesting (from rumours).

warryer

and Heimdal's horn sounds
Local time
-->
Iron Sky - It's a comedy/action/sci-fi about nazis who set up a base on the darkside of the moon and come back in 2018. The state side release date is currently in the works.

Local time
-->
Iron Sky - It's a comedy/action/sci-fi about nazis who set up a base on the darkside of the moon and come back in 2018. The state side release date is currently in the works.

Oh, I heard about that one, but couldn't find much information about it. Isn't it German, or from somewhere else in Central Europe? Looks interesting, to say the least.

Wasp

Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a serious
Local time
-->
In no particular order:

The Hobbit
The Counselor
Prometheus
The Avengers
The Amazing Spider-Man
Paranorman
Life of Pi

travelnjones

Local time
-->
my friend recently said i have bad taste in movies. But I want to see The Hobbit, The Raven, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, and maybe Batman and Prometheus.

Shadowrunner

Misanthrope
Local time
Today 5:08 AM
-->
Prometheus
The Dark Knight Rises
The Hobbit.

Nothing else really grabs my interest this year, I might watch The Avengers if I feel like switching my brain off.

Also, hi.

SR

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 10:08 PM
-->
I never look forward to movies, and hate going to shows. I will watch a movie usually about a year after it's been released and I've had a chance to determine whether it's worth watching.

'The Hobbit' is coming out - I recall that now. My gods that will surely be dreadful. The recent LOTR was a good movie on it's own right (I could only stand the first one) but should be divorced from the books.

EDIT: I checked out Prometheus as the title intrigued me. Looks like some good dirty Sci Fi, which is the only type of movie I like to watch. Maybe I'll break my habit and actually go see it in the theaters.

cerebedlam

Local time
-->
I heard that they were remaking the 1976 Sci-Fi cult classic, LOGAN'S RUN...If this is true, then that's the one I'm all amped up to see...

MizKodomo

Local time
-->
Brave (It's pretty. And Celtic. And Pixar. There's very little there that I could hate)
The Hobbit (there may have been screaming when the trailer was released)

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Prometheus sucked. Too many story elements.

MizKodomo

Local time
-->
'The Hobbit' is coming out - I recall that now. My gods that will surely be dreadful. The recent LOTR was a good movie on it's own right (I could only stand the first one) but should be divorced from the books.
Apologies in advance for grammar!fail and semi- incoherent/ has zero depth.

A/w, I find your initial assessment of the upcoming Hobbit films unnecessarily harsh and condescending

Of course you'd have to divorce your understanding of the books from the movies. They are two very different mediums, and should be treated accordingly. That being said, Perter Jackson and his fellow writers did take creative liberties with the original story to aid in their creation of a movie that would sell well, yet they still remained incredibly faithful to the text and ideas of Professor Tolkien- most of the dialogue is lifted straight from the source material.

They also wouldn't have gotten the original O.K. from the Tolkien estate if they hadn't felt confident about the work. The initial slow down on the Hobbit in regards to that area, was over money disputes between New Line and the Estate

I personally believe Peter Jackson and Weta have proven themselves more than adept at handeling the mythos of Middle Earth- I'm looking forward to them

MsAnthropy_Indefatigably

The Black One
Local time
-->
I recently gave in and decided to go see Men in Black III with my son and for some reason was eerily interested in the person who played the character Boris (the Animal). The accent, the character himself, etc. Anyhoo, come to find out he was half of the duo, Flight of the Conchords, Jemaine Clement, which I had never seen or listened to, but remembered there being a TV show. I mentioned it to my boyfriend who got excited at the mention of FotC and the movies, because apparently they're supposed to be making one soon!
I can't even say whether it's in production yet, but I am going to hold on to the hope that the movie is coming soon.
Shortly after seeing MIB III, my BF bought me the season collection (there were only two and an HBO special) and I LOVED it! Can't wait to see a movie if they come out with one.

Ah, and supposed to finally go see Prometheus this weekend. :)

RedN

Local time
-->
I already saw ted soooo right now its magic mike and bourne. and that movie about this older guy and a young girl who went on a crime rampage of sorts, i cant remember the title.

oh and i havent seen brave too so id love to see it.

ObliviousGenius

Life is a side scroller, keep moving.
Local time
-->
The new Spider-Man movie comes out tomorrow. I like both Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone should be a good watch. I'm also waiting for Skyfall the new James Bond movie with Daniel Craig, who plays a good Bond. Can't forget the Dark Knight Rises either.

Edit: I use this site a lot. www.1channel.ch

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
Star Trek, Killing Them Softly and Promised Land.

SW

typus

is resting down in Cornwall
Local time
Today 6:08 AM
-->
The Arrested Development movie and the Magic Mike sequel.

TriflinThomas

Bitch, don't kill my vibe...
Local time
-->
The Hobbit II & III. The rest of the Avatars (blue people ones), and Identity Theft (not sure if that's the name, but it has this cute little fat lady in it)

typus

is resting down in Cornwall
Local time
-->
Magic Mike? Are you playing for the pink team typus? Are you a chick?
Yes, no and no, respectively, but I do have proper respect for the fact that Tatum's exquisitely chiseled body turns Michelangelo's cheeks into convincing imitations of the dead sea, and would without hesitation further add that Channing was soullessly robbed by Time and Obama.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
None. I've given up on movies, for the most part. The economic incentive is for the lowest common denominator, i.e. Sensor types, and so they hold little interest for me. I saw The Hobbit last night and it was entirely a sensory experience. There is no dialogue, little acting in the special effects were tiresome.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I would like to see Les Mis and Django on home video.
Also looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty.

joal0503

Psychedelic INTP
Local time
-->
Magic Mike? Are you playing for the pink team typus? Are you a chick?

UMMM...ive been informed that olivia munn's boobies are in one of the first few scenes... that would be plenty enough to keep me dreaming throughout the rest of the film.

I would like to see Les Mis and Django on home video.
Also looking forward to Zero Dark Thirty.

absolutely Django - tarentino is amazingly entertaining.

i hate theaters (minus the popcorn) and it sucks to wait so long for the releases...but id agree cant wait for those (anne hathaway...nommy), sound like really really good films to catch. I feel like Ive passed up a lot of quality films this year...

damn you ISP warnings of piracy, damn you to hell. arrrr

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
absolutely Django - tarentino is amazingly entertaining.

Yeah, I honestly haven't seen a Tarantino film I did not like, although some resonate more with me. And the thing is, they are so darn fun! The guy just knows how to write witty revealing dialogue, as well as how to toss disparate objects into the same movie and make it all work somehow. He's so audacious.

i hate theaters (minus the popcorn) and it sucks to wait so long for the releases...but id agree cant wait for those (anne hathaway...nommy), sound like really really good films to catch. I feel like Ive passed up a lot of quality films this year...

I'm glad I have never seen nor read Les Mis, although I know the basic plot of the story. I think some people were upset by departures from the story/musical. I also heard they do waaaay too many closeups in the movie, especially for the big screen. hasn't he ever heard of the wide pan?

joal0503

Psychedelic INTP
Local time
-->
Yeah, I honestly haven't seen a Tarantino film I did not like, although some resonate more with me. And the thing is, they are so darn fun! The guy just knows how to write witty revealing dialogue, as well as how to toss disparate objects into the same movie and make it all work somehow. He's so audacious.

I'm glad I have never seen nor read Les Mis, although I know the basic plot of the story. I think some people were upset by departures from the story/musical. I also heard they do waaaay too many closeups in the movie, especially for the big screen. hasn't he ever heard of the wide pan?

its the dialogue, the characters, the cinematography...its just all so unique and fresh compared to a lot of the cookie cutter, make a quick buck, hollywood dribble that has sort of infested the market the past decade. id have to agree, i cant remember a tarentino film i disliked.

im not usually a musical fan, but yea that film looks pretty inspiring. i heard they made the actors perform live singing within their scenes, usually its just dubbed over in most movies, but to me that might make it a lot more i dunno...real i suppose. quality cast, a classic plot, and some good ol rebellion, sounds like a good time.

Mxx

Local time
-->
Blade Runner, 2049. I liked Blade Runner enough, but not enough to be worried about the upcoming film.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Since the thread was resurrected, I guess I'll provide closure on my Les Mis experience (the Jackman version).

While some people prefer more operatic voices, I actually like rawer voices... as long as they're "spot on". Also, cinematic musicals are different than stage musicals, where there's a greater need to project and over do... this is why trained screen actors with a decent singing might offer a better performance than a highly trained singer with little screen experience and who is used to large movements and losing subtlety of voice and expression.

Long story short, I liked the screen Les Mis. Jackman delivered damn well vocally for someone primarily known as an actor; Hathaway wasn't quite as musically accomplished but was more than sufficient for the role and evoked a lot of pathos. The real bomb of the film was Crowe, who can't sing worth crap and should have never been allowed near such an important part... like, he did not even come close to meeting the minimum for the part. Surely there had to be someone else with decent acting ability and a bit more vocal prowess? Anyway, the film was enjoyable -- I think Sasha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter (was that her? Can't remember) were also a pleasant surprise.

For other "musical movies":

I actually liked "Into the Woods" on the screen as well, aside from the miscasting of Jack (age-wise), due to reasons noted above about the importance of pathos and the ability to show more nuance on a screen.

There's a movie version of a musical called "The Last Five Years" too... Storywise it's based on a contrivance (you are watching the female lead's side of the story from the end back to the beginning, interspersed with the male lead's side from the beginning to the end.... so you're seeing both sides of their failing relationship) and is virtually all just music, no dialogue. It's more emotive, with a lot of pathos and wit; the main part of intellectual curiosity is just seeing how the pieces sync up; but I just mention it because of the musical quality of the performances by Kendrick and Jordan, who are both great apart and together. It actually WAS all sung live and on camera, aside from the car scene (which wouldn't have been safe); it's so freaking raw and devastating because of this, nothing is canned. In that aspect, it excels.

I did see La-La Land last year and I thought it nailed the ending; but it was a rather huge miscast in terms of singing ability. Emma Stone barely squeaks by in terms of her singing voice (although she did get the Oscar for Actress), and Ryan Gosling does great on the piano but just sucks vocally, it really wasn't acceptable in a movie where there's duets and singing by the leads. They are both good actors, but average dancers and should probably not veer too far into more singing roles.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Deep Throat 2

LMAO. The sequels are always better.

TBH, I don't look forward to any movies. I experience zero "hype" for movies now days. I am in general against hype via principle.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Looking forward to the first movie in the "IT" series in a few weeks.

The director at least grasps the material, initial trailers and comments are decent, and it can't possibly be more disappointing than "The Dark Tower" so I guess that is something.

LMAO. The sequels are always better.

TBH, I don't look forward to any movies. I experience zero "hype" for movies now days. I am in general against hype via principle.

Why not just be interested/excited about a movie possibility that you're interested in just because you are interested personally?

It's not an either/or thing, you know. Framing yourself as unequivocally "against hype" is on par with falling for a movie just "because of hype" -- it's just another reaction to something else, rather than an internally driven choice.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
could be a textbook demonstration of jungian Fi. a movie can not BE a personal choice, a subject serving core value, for it is at best somebody else's vision. better to not get too wrapped up into it or else you forget about your own dreams. we could heed the advice, if we had dreams of our own, but instead our lives are just all about waiting for the next episode of blade runner (in my case), meanwhile dressing up as some anime character, hoping it will get us laid (i never went that far though, stitched my own clothing, yes, wore them in public, yes, went to a convention, no way there are other crazy people, i can't handle the approval seeking)

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
i think he demonstrates textbook jungian Fi. a movie can not BE a personal choice, for it is at best somebody else's vision. better to not get too wrapped up into it or else you forget about your own dreams. we could heed the advice, if we had dreams of our own, but instead our lives are just all about waiting for the next episode of xyz, meanwhile dressing up as some anime character, hoping it will get us laid

Not exactly the angle I was taking.

Hype is something that "promises" without a guarantee that it will deliver.

That said, I don't mean to belittle Jenny's perspective on things. If phrased as "I think this will be good, so I am looking forward to it, but I am not under the assumption that I KNOW it will be good" I think that's a perfectly reasonable expectation. If the evidence dictates that it will most likely be good, then there is nothing wrong with that. However, it is not until one actually experiences such phenomenon as watching a movie for the criteria to be judged on whether it met expectations. That said, "expectations" are generally just that.. they don't prove their worth until after the fact making them somewhat fallacious. But to be sure, one could argue "how does one plan without expectations?" To that I would say the best plans can and do go arie. Basically, the emphasis I want to make is to curb your enthusiasm.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
i agree. i don't dare to cultivate high hopes for movies either. am at most anxiously waiting for the next fix for real life. i know how to not hate bad movies, so i know i will get my fix. the sad fact that i am almost certain that blade runner 2 cant beat 1 does not take much away from this.

also fear of disappointment is probably in the shallow spectrum of Fe and i retracted (edited) what i suggested about your type because i dont really believe it

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
i agree. i don't dare to cultivate high hopes for movies either. am at most anxiously waiting for the next fix for real life. i know how to not hate bad movies, so i know i will get my fix. the sad fact that i am almost certain that blade runner 2 cant beat 1 does not take much away from this.

also fear of disappointment is probably in the shallow spectrum of Fe and i retracted (edited) what i suggested about your type because i dont really believe it

Yeah. Noted you edited your post.

I also don't believe in things like choice, so to those ends, you were correct.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
That said, I don't mean to belittle Jenny's perspective on things. If phrased as "I think this will be good, so I am looking forward to it, but I am not under the assumption that I KNOW it will be good" I think that's a perfectly reasonable expectation. If the evidence dictates that it will most likely be good, then there is nothing wrong with that. However, it is not until one actually experiences such phenomenon as watching a movie for the criteria to be judged on whether it met expectations. That said, "expectations" are generally just that.. they don't prove their worth until after the fact making them somewhat fallacious. But to be sure, one could argue "how does one plan without expectations?" To that I would say the best plans can and do go arie. Basically, the emphasis I want to make is to curb your enthusiasm.

I think you are taking this far more seriously than I am. or at least laboriously.

Look around in life. Get an idea of what might look good, feel good, taste good, be worth your while, etc. We do this all day, all the time. It's what allows us to make basic choices. I am sure you do it too, if you make any choices on a daily basis. ("Gee, that food looks good. Maybe I'll try that for lunch, it could be of interest.") Then again, people who have trouble making basic decisions on a daily basis / aren't typically sure what they "like" might actually have trouble with this.

And yeah, don't buy into hype, and also know the quality of the input you receive. Some stuff is advertising hype, but if you're dealing with people who actually have experience to comment, you can weight their assessment a little more strongly. Just don't get too attached to a particular outcome.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Avengers 4

toki

ıʞoʇ
Local time
-->
hereditary

edit after ---
1:30 for me, great acting but overall it didn't deserve the hype.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Hereditary (June 8)
Incredibles 2 (June 15)

I already have my tickets for both (I usually go Sat mornings to the movies).

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Hereditary (June 8)
Incredibles 2 (June 15)

I already have my tickets for both (I usually go Sat mornings to the movies).
Boy, this is old.

As followup: Hereditary (and Midsommar later) is just great. It was a shame Toni Collette did not get the notice she deserved.

Incredibles 2 was kind of eh. Not bad, some great action/animation sequences, but overall kind of disappointing, rather like how Pixar in general has been getting more and more average overall over time. The story really wasn't up to par with the original film.

----

Movies I am now looking forward to? Not many. It's been kind of disappointing this year.
  • The Northman (Eggers) was decent but not as good as his first two films.
  • Nope (Peele) was not as good as earlier Peele but had some great ideas in it.
  • Prey (Hulu) was a decent Predator spinoff, I'm happy with the thought of multiple cultural settings for the future
  • The Gray Man (Netflix) should have been better, although not bad -- Russos have made better films.
  • Jurassic World (as expected) was fairly disappointing, although mildly enjoyable if you want to see dinosaurs. Again, plotting was odd (in terms of the plot focus) and a recon of the prior film's backstory for the young woman.
  • Men (Garland) was not Garland's best film but still mentally provocative if you view it through less modern political lens and more focused on the older religious/cultural forces.
  • Secrets of Dumbledore (Gates) -- only made it about 30 minutes into this thing... David Gates once he got out of the Harry Potter books has made really boring Potter films. I blame Rowling because she's a terrible scripter, she's a novelist.
  • Spiderhead (Netflix) -- the short story is really hard to adapt, the movie is okay but kind of unmemorable.
  • Lightyear (Pixar) -- The movie no one asked for, with no real reason to be told, and just not really well conceived. It's pretty forgettable and Pixar has already handled similar themes better in other films. It really felt like a failed cash grab on an old favorite property.
  • Turning Red (Pixar) -- actually maybe the best Pixar film in recent time.
  • Dr Strange 2: Multiverse of Madness (MCU) -- Okay execution, just terribly conceptually and in terms of continuity. This ground was trod in Wandavision already, Raimi said he didn't watch the series, and it shows. Totally screwed up Scarlet Witch storyline and added nothing at the end to the MCU, does anything matter anymore? Even the fan service was just a snub to fans (and I didn't even want the service). This film is where I decided I no longer had faith in the MCU after a terrible Phase 4.

The BEST movie I saw this year might have been Everything Everywhere All At Once. That was a delightful viewing experience. Just remarkable and intuitively grand.

The WORST movie I think I saw this year was the Firestarter remake. Holy f*ck, was that a !@#&* adaptation of the book. I don't know what they were thinking. I even had trouble laughing at how bad some of it was, it wasn't even fun. Gloria Rueben got a really raw deal, miscast as a gender-swapped Cap; her dialogue was ridiculously bad.

Old Things

I am unworthy of His grace
Local time
-->
Not looking forward to the "Barbie" movie, which is basically about plastic people.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Not sure about Barbie either, but it's got a good cast, and a great director and cowriters ... so... i'm ... curious? I mean, how can you possibly turn this into an interesting film? But if anyone could, it's Gerwig and Baumbach.

Old Things

I am unworthy of His grace
Local time
-->
I think the way you make this film a success is to make it NOT about plastic people. If there's some metaphysical or otherworldly quality to the movie, it might make for a decent film. But my presupposition at this point is that it's a cash grab to boost barbie sales and create a sort of contagion that we saw in the 80s with Cabbage Patch Kids. If that is all it is... I think it will bomb.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
I've got a bunch of Westerns lined up:

Shane:

Hot Lead, Cold Feet:

Return to Snowy River:

Westward Ho, the Wagons!

Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin

Apple Dumpling Gang and Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again. (Tim Conway, Don Knotts, Harry Morgan and Bill Bixby can be amusing).

Allegheny Uprising:

Not a Western, but I like hearing Harry Morgans voice:

Snowball Express: Harry Morgan, Dean Jones:

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I think the way you make this film a success is to make it NOT about plastic people. If there's some metaphysical or otherworldly quality to the movie, it might make for a decent film. But my presupposition at this point is that it's a cash grab to boost barbie sales and create a sort of contagion that we saw in the 80s with Cabbage Patch Kids. If that is all it is... I think it will bomb.
Despite the title, it's being written by two award-winning indie writers/directors, so yes I'd expect it to be more nuanced and complex.

(Have you ever heard of or seen some of these films:
- The Squid & The Whale
- Marriage Story
- Ladybird
- Frances Ha
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
- Little Women)

So yes, it's confusing. They're not the people who I would expect to be making this film if it is simply a cash grab.
TBH, there's probably more chance for it to "bomb" because it won't be a shitty cash grab film and the studio will mis-market the film.

But hey, there's always "The Apple Dumpling Gang" as an alternative viewing selection...

Top Bottom