• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What do you think make you INTP?

Procinogen

Devil's Advocate
Local time
Yesterday 11:46 PM
-->
Well, what do you think made you INTP?

I think that it was my dad that really made me INTP. He would always tell me to ask questions, and he would always question things that my mom watched, like soap operas celebrity stuff. So I guess I just kept doing what he told me to- ask questions. That's probably what fueled my INTP thirst for knowledge.

Cogitant

Fiducial Observer
Local time
Today 4:46 AM
-->
Think it was my dad too.
A mixture of genetics and conditioning / behavioural reinforcement during upbringing likely resulted in this outcome.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
I must say I was different in some ways when young. BUt some personality traits were always present since day one.

My father is EnTJ and my mother is ESFp.
They thought I was an alien. That may or may not have to do something with being INTP.
They always asked whos kid I was in a joking way.
What influence they had on me as opposed to what I was like from inside I have not a single clue.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 6:46 AM
-->
Genetic and/or the way my brain was constructed in the womb.
I know for sure I was like that in age 4-5, before that I don't remember, but I am different at some things or many things from my brothers , so I can rule out after womb influence.

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
-->
I have thought about this. My father might be an INTP, but I've never tested him and I don't see him much. He might even be INFP, actually. My mother's an ISFP, brother and sister ISTP and INFP respectively. Given that my ex-wife was an INFJ, I've analysed my kids and they intriguingly fit ENTP, INFJ and ESFP. Where did the two of the them get their extroversion from?

I'd note that while I was always quite strange, I was far more extroverted as a young child - as much as my youngest (the ESFP). But if you know my story, I spent a lot of time alone growing up and especially in my teens where I think my introverted nature was created. Possibly learned to be alone and it just became nature. I know a couple of people have suggested I'm actually ENTP anyway, just an unhealthy and unsociable one (comparatively speaking). My theory is that I may have once been, but developed as an INTP instead.

I know some people think type is set at birth, but I don't believe it is. I think we all have a few options based on the paths we take growing up, and certain things can alter how you develop.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 10:46 PM
-->
There is only one correct answer for the question: I took a test and it said I am INTP OR I did research that pointed my to the fact that I am INTP. Any other answer supposes that MBTI is fact, when it is not; it is a construct made by others which you believe in, but that doesn't make it more true necessarily.

Cogitant

Fiducial Observer
Local time
-->
There is only one correct answer for the question: I took a test and it said I am INTP OR I did research that pointed my to the fact that I am INTP. Any other answer supposes that MBTI is fact, when it is not; it is a construct made by others which you believe in, but that doesn't make it more true necessarily.

Carl Linneus pretty much invented the binominal nomenclature system.
It explains how Panthera Tigris and Pantera Leo differ.

This difference preceded the categorization, just as the difference between people's personalities preceded MBTI categorization.

People can be grouped according to similar preferences or ways of being.
A test is simply a type indicator, it will tell you your likely type based only on the answers to a questionnaire.
-You will need to truly understand what the differences between types are and compare and contrast with others to explore your true type.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Jung said few things about this stuff. First he was convinced that man is born into this world a certain way. And I think most evidence points to this. However nature shows that there must be something about us that has to change in order to adapt. IN other words the mind has its own bones and muscle. Some moving parts and some hard parts same as our body.

If we discount the genes from our personality then why are we born human and not bacteria. There is a reason we are born the way we are and that is the genetic code.

So we must be rigid in a way. Some things simply have to work from birth and develope quickly for us to survive.

On the other hand our developement stage is long and our personality probably has to be influenced by enviroment.

The whole question is how do we find out to what degree.

For example as young people we often have present personalities. As early as four years old we can see a clear pattern in behaviour and distinct different behaviours between children. I used to baby sit my two cousins who were twins as early as 4 years old and it was always fun seeing how they responded and behaved differently.
There was simply wealth of behaviours pointing to differing personalities.
For example one was more patient than the other. Guess which one is in college now and which one works in a factory.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Carl Linneus pretty much invented the binominal nomenclature system.
It explains how Panthera Tigris and Pantera Leo differ.

This difference preceded the categorization, just as the difference between people's personalities preceded MBTI categorization.

People can be grouped according to similar preferences or ways of being.
A test is simply a type indicator, it will tell you your likely type based only on the answers to a questionnaire.
-You will need to truly understand what the differences between types are and compare and contrast with others to explore your true type.

Ahh, but the fact that there are differences in people doesn't mean that MBTI is accurate, it only implies that people are different as well, which is the same premise, but it may have a different conclusion on what those differences actually are.

IDK what the tigris vs leo thing is tho. Link or explanation could help me see where you are coming from.

Cogitant

Fiducial Observer
Local time
-->
Ahh, but the fact that there are differences in people doesn't mean that MBTI is accurate, it only implies that people are different as well, which is the same premise, but it may have a different conclusion on what those differences actually are.

IDK what the tigris vs leo thing is tho. Link or explanation could help me see where you are coming from.

OK, basically you have a lion and a tiger. What my point is that they are different species and always were even before Linneus created a system to categorise them.

MBTI is a method of grouping people according to their preferences. There are many ways of doing this. Enneagram is another tool for example, but you can group people in as many ways as you find common themes between people.

-It's also the herd mentality in humans. We tend to want to identify with other humans with whom we perceive to share characteristics in common.

+Yes, we're all different.
If you look at it from an MBTI perspective, there are likely subtypes, just as there are subspecies of lions and tigers.
There are probably hybrid types too just like there can be ligers and tigons.

MBTI is simply an identification tool. Like a 'Wild Birds of Scotland' book might be.
It doesn't explain the individual lives of any of the birds, or how certain colonies might have certain nesting techniques in comparison with other colonies of the same species, but it can identify with a high probability the species.
From knowing the species, you can predict a lot of habits and how they relate to other species.

MBTI is based on a psychological preference for an order of identified functions (we all have every function) as opposed to the binomial nomenclature system which is based on biological preference for certain genes to be switched on or off between species. Same principle.

#Fractal geometry

JR_IsP

Overthinker in Chief
Local time
Yesterday 11:46 PM
-->
Regarding the debate above.... I'm just like :walkout:

Now, the original post, instead... hmm.... I think it's a mix between genetics, my inmediate family being reserved and academic, a lot of documentaries to satisfact my knowledge thirst, social rejection for being always the new (I never stayed too much in one school)...

But I'm proud to be an INTP and to have discovered the whole MBTI thing :D

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
OK, basically you have a lion and a tiger. What my point is that they are different species and always were even before Linneus created a system to categorise them.

MBTI is a method of grouping people according to their preferences. There are many ways of doing this. Enneagram is another tool for example, but you can group people in as many ways as you find common themes between people.

-It's also the herd mentality in humans. We tend to want to identify with other humans with whom we perceive to share characteristics in common.

+Yes, we're all different.
If you look at it from an MBTI perspective, there are likely subtypes, just as there are subspecies of lions and tigers.
There are probably hybrid types too just like there can be ligers and tigons.

MBTI is simply an identification tool. Like a 'Wild Birds of Scotland' book might be.
It doesn't explain the individual lives of any of the birds, or how certain colonies might have certain nesting techniques in comparison with other colonies of the same species, but it can identify with a high probability the species.
From knowing the species, you can predict a lot of habits and how they relate to other species.

MBTI is based on a psychological preference for an order of identified functions (we all have every function) as opposed to the binomial nomenclature system which is based on biological preference for certain genes to be switched on or off between species. Same principle.

#Fractal geometry

Fair enough.

I don't wish to argue with you. I could, but that is not a worthwhile part of my time. I will just say that I understand your perspective and it is a valid one.

Cogitant

Fiducial Observer
Local time
-->
Fair enough.

I don't wish to argue with you. I could, but that is not a worthwhile part of my time. I will just say that I understand your perspective and it is a valid one.

Understood.
And I see your perspective too, MBTI = confirmation bias/Barnum effect?
(I don't like to argue either, I'm interested in how others think vs me though, and, to be brutally honest, I just <3 writing walls of text).

:)

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 1:46 PM
-->
Well, what do you think made you INTP?

I think that it was my dad that really made me INTP. He would always tell me to ask questions, and he would always question things that my mom watched, like soap operas celebrity stuff. So I guess I just kept doing what he told me to- ask questions. That's probably what fueled my INTP thirst for knowledge.

You're talking about personality type like it's something that can change. That's not how it works, it's something ingrained, but let's suppose we change the definitions around so that type is malleable, by associating it with how you would score on an MBTI test.

So, I'm an INFJ, but in an MBTI test I could easily score as INTP because I'm so Ti heavy. So then the question is what made me Ti-heavy.

Well, my father is an INTJ, so there's probably a genetic bias towards me being more Thinker-like as well as an upbringing that would have rewarded the use of Thinker behaviour/cognition.

There's also the pressures of the world at large, for example schooling probably emphasises T traits rather than F, and so does the workforce. Being heavy in Ti means that energy is taken away from Ni and Fe. So the environment is going to essentially punish the use of those functions by how it is set up. There's probably a bias towards seeing Ni as crazy, and there's pressure on males at least to hide one's emotions and put on a calm persona.

Then there's life events which have so badly affected me that I have shut out emotional expression and imagination, whether these are big events or a succession of smaller ones.

Last, I have to take some of the blame myself, I can't just blame my circumstances on my environment. The fact is that I have put more effort into trying to remain calm and doing logical analysis on things, and not enough time feeding my natural inclinations. I didn't understand what I was doing, and I still don't quite understand why I use Ti so heavily when I know I should be focusing on Ni and Fe. But the key to getting out of it is to make the changes myself.

So answer: I'm an INFJ, but I may score as INTP because life.

Top Bottom