• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Thinking in General

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 7:22 AM
-->
There are two ways to think, internally and externally. The common denominator is that thinking is about what effect one thing will have on another. Thinking is not necessarily about planning but what happens when things interact. So interactions can happen in the real world or a hypothetical world. A person with Ti is, in general, thinking about things that could be and a Te person is, in general, thinking about how to do something. There are many alternatives to what could happen to bring about anything and Ti thinks of all of them. Te thinks in terms of contingencies for what would prevent something from happening. Te is fixated on a single outcome.

If there is a problem to be solved: Ti will think of every solution noting that what needs to be done is already known beforehand. Te will asses a situation knowing all the resources at hand and implement a set of actions. The difference is that Ti has constructed a multilevel understanding of all problems it has not seen well Te has practiced solving multiple problems it came across. One is the cross-correlation of all data one has with itself, the other is the reverse engineering of a system in real-time.

In how this expresses itself in real people: A Ti person will find it convenient to just sit and think with no external input until necessary. They explore ideas in quiet contemplation. A Te person will need real-time feedback on what they are doing. They want to see progressive results at each step of the process.

Intelligence plays a key role in that thinking must have an understanding of what happens given some number of variables. What matters is where one is directing thinking, either in generating solutions in the head or experimenting in the real world. Both have a process of elimination and require information on what is happening, holding all the information and manipulating it to find what works and does not work. This is called working memory and is an internal and external process.

Control theory allows us to understand what working memory does. It is about hypothesis formation and hypothesis testing. Ti can do this by building inside itself many structures or relationships by rules it knows. Ti does so by confirming or denying any piece of knowledge it has by the set of all rules it knows and adding that to long-term memory. Te would do so in the real world by learning a set of rules it knows works and applying them to physical things to see where they are applicable learning new rules along the way.

The number of rules that can be tested at any point in time would be allowed by the control one has in the brain wiring to hold them. This would be the input/output and cross-connections of the working memory module. The module is connected to itself or external perception in the case of extraverted thinking.

Thinking at its simplest is working out something in one's head, "what must be done for x to happen?".

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 2:22 PM
-->
Just what I think as well, but might I add Ti likes to experiment by trial by error, Te likes to do that as well, but Te stops when its working, Ti continues even if its working.
So Te is extrovert pragmatic, Ti is introvert (has to be internally consistent) model matches external model.

So Ti likes to fuck things up even just to see what happens like if principal is true, can I contradict a principal and see if the model I have of the principal applies when shit does not work.

So lets say someone says what comes up must come down. Well Ikarus would be like yeah lets go as high up as possible.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 7:22 AM
-->
So Ti likes to fuck things up even just to see what happens like if principal is true, can I contradict a principal and see if the model I have of the principal applies when shit does not work.

So lets say someone says what comes up must come down. Well Ikarus would be like yeah lets go as high up as possible.

That might be more about iNtuition than thinking though.

Because thinking is about how things work practically not about possibility.

Ni and Ne is more the extension of what could be attainable.
Ti and Te supplement what happens after the idea arises.
N is the leap and T is the means.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 2:22 PM
-->
Ok Ti Ne then. I often conflate the two I guess.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Today 9:22 AM
-->
Not all of us Ti 's are good at knowing what will happen like that. Even if you have a world of experience, interpersonal skills and responses vary every day because ego's and situations change all the time.

You can reflect on things that happened before, but every single time something happens it is a brand new situation that can turn out differently each time. No two days are ever the same and I can go up to one person and say hello, and get one response and the next day, a different response.

If a dog bites a child when they are young and they are afraid of dogs ever after, its because they assumed all dogs bite. The child needs to learn more about different dogs to find out some are friendly and won't bite. Same with people, they can't assume they already know something, they need to learn each time there is a new interaction. Thinking is not necessarily about planning but seeing that every day is different and learning that its never the same. Flexibility is part of the process.

The brain is a receiver, broadcaster, empty vessel, solver and observer, projector, creator, dreamer, its everything and its the bridge between inner and outer. Sometimes its better to inquire each day and not assume your own thinking is always the right answer. Getting input directly is part of the process and staying flexible.

Off topic but anxiety is caused when you can’t orient yourself to your situation.

Top Bottom