• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The Secret World (MMORPG)

Patch

Illuminaughty
Local time
Today 5:45 AM
-->
http://www.thesecretworld.com/gameplay

I thought this MMO might be something for your average INTP. It's not the typical fantasy MMO like Warcraft. The Secret World is actually set in the modern day world, the only twist is that every urban legend, myth, spooky story and conspiracy theory is actually true. A monster living in the NY sewers, Illuminaty controlling the underworld, vampires in Transylvania, mummies in Egypt, ancient native american burial grounds, communist dwarfs (wtf) etc...
The entire game is heavily inspired by Lovecraftian horror, so frequent references to his stories can be found all the time (Innsmouth academy, large Cthulhu-like bosses, talismans of the elder gods...).
Story-wise, the game is so far excellent. 90% of the content is free right away, there several extra missions that you can pay a small amount to get, but they are in no way crucial to the story or the game. You also pay no monthly fees (though subscribers have certain benefits) and it's certainly not pay-2-win, as you actually cannot buy any gear for real money that would help you in the game.
You can join 3 factions at the start of the game (Illuminaty, Templars, Dragons) and you can progress with the story solo or with friends. It take around 80-100 hours to beat every mission and the whole story but I am sure it can be done faster.
The end game content is very rich. The game is mostly PvE oriented, but there are many PvP playgrounds for players. There are currently 11 end game dungeons, 3 normal raids and 3 hardcore raids (which almost no one beat until this day) that keep you occupied even after you geared up to the max. There are no levels in the game, the only way to improve your character is earn ability points to get new abilites (525 available) that you can freely combine and grinding gear.
The only downside of the game is the shitty engine. Be ready for constant FPS drops and UI reloading. No amount of graphics power will help you. But IMHO, the story and gameplay makes up for it quite well, so I am willing to put up with it.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/215280/
I certainly recommend buying the Ultimate edition as that gives you access to most of the extra content for a lot less cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4mBS0SQfp8

If there are some players here already, you can add me in game unde the nick ThePatcher

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 4:45 PM
-->
Yeah add me my nick is TheTheGopherer (Kidding) I actually heard about it on launch and it sounded interesting from the limited information I heard. Is there any reason to pick one or another faction?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:45 PM
-->
Sounds like a great way to make an entire game without ever having to come up with original content. Wish I'd thought of it.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:45 AM
-->
I played it for a few months maybe 18-24 months ago?

The graphics were outdated; but I liked the setting/ambiance, and I also liked the "create your character as you go" skill wheel. Very much a skills-based system versus leveling, I felt like I had control over the kind of character I wanted to play.

Also, you were expected to use the Internet to solve some puzzles. It was rather neat in that regard. Much more a sandbox than other MMOs.

Patch

Illuminaughty
Local time
-->
Yeah add me my nick is TheTheGopherer (Kidding) I actually heard about it on launch and it sounded interesting from the limited information I heard. Is there any reason to pick one or another faction?

Not really, you get some slightly different cutscenes and a different hub city (Templars->London, Illuminaty -> NY, Dragon -> Seoul), but apart from that it's pretty much the same.

I played it for a few months maybe 18-24 months ago?

The graphics were outdated; but I liked the setting/ambiance, and I also liked the "create your character as you go" skill wheel. Very much a skills-based system versus leveling, I felt like I had control over the kind of character I wanted to play.

Also, you were expected to use the Internet to solve some puzzles. It was rather neat in that regard. Much more a sandbox than other MMOs.

Yeah, the investigation missions are really hard but very entertaining, you really have to rack your brains to solve them. I mean which other game makes you actually pickup the Bible to lookup shit in it?

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 7:45 PM
-->
I liked it. But I had no one to play with and the game started to get too hard for soloing. If you need someone to play with, I'll try and get back into it.

Patch

Illuminaughty
Local time
-->
I liked it. But I had no one to play with and the game started to get too hard for soloing. If you need someone to play with, I'll try and get back into it.

They actually made a total revamp of the first zones recently and they made them much easier to get through now. I remember I had a massively hard time getting through the first 3 zones, but with the update it's a piece of cake now.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
That's...awesome. I'm definitely coming back then.

I'm on Daemon though; guessing we're on different servers? Always happens...then I pay money to move and they always get me. >.<

Patch

Illuminaughty
Local time
-->
Well, I got three chars actually, one of them is fully end-game geared on Daemon and two chars where I am still at the beginning on other servers :)

But here it actually doesn't matter what server you play on, you can freely meetup with players from other servers.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
My bad, I know I said I would play, but Dark Souls 3 came out and it's actually fun and I had other stuff going on too. >.<

Patch

Illuminaughty
Local time
-->
Np, I was kinda busy myself these days and am away on holiday and will only be able to play again starting next month :)

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:45 AM
-->
They just started Free to Play in a visually updated version called The Secret World Legends.

So there's that.

Top Bottom