• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The art of an INTP

Creative INTP? Assuming you are an INTP, answer the following...

• I do not consider myself creative.

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • I haven't gotten around to producing any finished pieces, really...

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I've produced some art, but it's not available for viewing.

Votes: 44 33.6%
  • I have art that I could point you to right now.

Votes: 44 33.6%

• Total voters

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 10:07 PM
-->
I remember when I was about 20, and I went to see the optician. He turned out to be from my old school. He asked me if I was left-handed or right-handed. I told him that I was left-handed, because I was. Then he asked me what subjects I was into. I said that I was into things like science, mathematics and computing, because I was. He then asked me how I did things in those subjects. I explained that I read ideas, and then consider the evidence, and if it doesn't add up, then I make my own ideas, that do add up. He said that I was being creative, but in subjects that are normally considered uncreative, and that's because I am left-handed. Up till then, I didn't know that lefties were supposed to be more ceative than righties, being right-brain-dominant.

Up till then, I also never thought of if I might take a creative approach to science or not. On reflection, I always have.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 11:07 PM
-->
My art/pictures isn't typically INTP. Most of it is lacking Ti at least I think. More like ISFP perhaps?

5995337631_c1e83431a0_b.jpg
6115954748_0ef4b0efab_b.jpg
5995333295_0ef82186be_b.jpg

Perhaps this one?
4681603385_190758565d_z.jpg

naama

Local time
Tomorrow 12:07 AM
-->
Musical: used to play guitar when i was like 10-11.
started playing bass about a year ago, also i have ukulele and occasionally play guitar(but i suck at it since i have forgotten most of it and cba to train actively). i dont really care to learn other peoples songs much, instead creating my own.

Visual: used to do graffiti from age of 12, or never really stopped but i havent painted in like 2 years and last time i did i painted legal, i still like to draw schetches on paper from time to time.
Have been photographing for almost 4 years; http://www.flickr.com/photos/27398184@N08/ + my avatar is my own hand, naturally took the pic myself.

Draw this a while ago:
zJAzt.jpg

its an illustration of INTP mind

tepellian

Local time
Today 3:07 PM
-->
I write.

I guess it's not quite accurate that I don't have any finished pieces, so maybe I should've chosen option 3, not 2. I have written pieces that I finished, short ones, but none on hand to share. I exercise my writing ability for some assignments and other things, also, and I generally finish those.

But I don't end up finishing the works I really want to. I have all these half/partly-written long stories, and starts of ideas in my head. It's okay, I guess, but one of these days, when life stops getting in the way...

When I'm painting or writing music, It's very automatic. I'll be thinking about someting completely different while my hand just goes at it, it just kind of knows what will work, because of what has worked in the past.

I also do this to a good extent when writing creatively. It comes out okay, but seeing as I want my writing as precise and clear as possible, I'll usually go back and do restructuring when done.

downsowf

Local time
Today 5:07 PM
-->
I've written some short stories. I've also written 50 beginnings to 50 novels I'll probably never finish. Generally, I think myself as creative compared to other people. However, I am jealous of people who are extremely artistic. I never had a natural artistic ability where I can just pick up a paint brush or musical instrument. Also, when I read Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Kafka, Hemingway, I quit trying to pretend that I will write my "great American novel" one day.

Powder-Monkey

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I can visualize how I want to draw or paint something but my hands never do what I tell them. I'm hardly capable of underlining text without crashing into the sentence below.

I'll stick to writing & photography.

^^This. Exactly.

Maybe it comes with the territory of being a photographer, but I can picture exactly what I want in my head. It gets just lost in translation on it's way to the paper.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
Today 11:07 PM
-->
I have the opposite.

It's hard for me to visualize what I want to draw. I just draw and let my hands to the work on auto-pilot usually.

Whenever I do visualize what I want to draw, it's something I'm very proud of in the end though.

Late2theParty

Local time
-->
I'm digging all the talent here! I like your paintings Moocow. Dimensional Transition, you have a really neat vibe especially in your flash animations. And your Bill Cosby photoshop can't be beat. I also dig your photos crippli!

I used to draw when I was younger, but now I mainly focus on music. I especially love composition. I had lessons on guitar, and it's my main instruments but now I dabble with bass, piano, drums and voice and synthesizers.... because I find the interaction so interesting.

I played / recorded / programmed all the instruments below myself:

Music

I feel like the music helps me get in touch with my F side. I have a horrible time finishing pieces and it drives me crazy.

Melody, I think, is really what makes any music engaging. (There are no famous classical composers that I'm aware of that just made mood music--they all focused on melody within a created contextual soundscape designed to compliment the melody

my favorite aspect of music is melody... however I found people's love for it isn't necessarily very universal. Especially nowadays with access to music all over... a lot of ppl love electronic stuff... which is all rhythm and timbre.

One famous composer I can think of who didn't focus on melody that much was Philip Glass. Maybe Hanz Zimmer... I haven't listened to enough of his catalogue but i noticed a lot of his movie scores especially the more recent ones don't have much melody or hooks... it's mainly atmosphere.

C.J_Finn

Local time
Today 4:07 PM
-->
I play guitar and write poetry.

I used to dabble in drawing, but I haven't done much in visual art in quite a while though.

Sanctum

Local time
-->
Im pretty well rounded when it comes to the arts. I can draw/paint, write (both poetry and creative writtings), I can dance a bit, and have a decent voice. I'm pretty mediocre at most of this except visual arts as well as too lazy to perfect any of them.

NinjaSurfer

Banned
Local time
Today 2:07 PM
-->
this thread just makes me feel like a failure

:elephant:

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I have photography I'll readily point you towards, as well as some (certain) videos. As far as music goes, I can show you some but you may not enjoy it. I can sketch too, mainly on notes in class because I haven't really took the time to produce an actual drawing in a sketch pad in a while, however, I do have a few sketch pads filled with some drawings from like middle & high school.

cadeparade

Redshirt
Local time
-->
An interesting thing I've noticed from all of the visual posts on this thread is that they're all abstract or made up, not too many are from life or references. Going through art school most of what you're trained with is drawing from life but this was all too boring for me because the reason I wanted to draw in the first place was that I wanted to bring to life the strange things that were in my head. I understand now, though, that a good foundation is important and necessary...but still, landscapes and still lifes--no thank you.

I used to be in to drawing BIG TIME and went through school for that. Then changed my mind to science and tried that for awhile. Now I'm somewhere in between, caught wanting autonomy and a fulfilling job purpose when I only know how to draw and pipet...sigh.

Some pieces from school:
Still_life__by_athena394.jpg

Pepsi_High_by_athena394.jpg

Some of my recent photography, tending towards the abstract:
7570650852_7abd3428a1.jpg

7570649674_5cbd65ec82_z.jpg

6817376576_49397c4644_z.jpg

Manic

Local time
-->
I write and paint and consider myself creative. Many years ago I completed two novels, most of a third, and have started several others over the years. I'm about to complete an English Lit BA, then going for an MFA in Creative Writing. Can't decide whether to concentrate on fiction or non-fiction; I want to do both. I struggle with the whole problem of perfection and with starting projects I don't finish, of course, but seem to have largely overcome it. Writing is what I was always best at and the only "work" I find satisfying. I have been published by proxy, having ghost written articles and publications for several bosses, but not yet my own work under my own name.

Art was my first love. I painted as a kid, mostly in oils, and won my high school art award. I put it away for about the next 30 years, though, and only picked it up again in any serious way about 10 years ago. I have since put it aside again to concentrate on writing. Painting has always frustrated me and rarely do I get close to realizing the ideal of beauty in my head. The perfection thing gets in the way, of course, and I often ruin something that started out fine through overwork. I have had some success, even was the featured artist at one exhibit, but rarely have I come close to what I'm trying to achieve. I see painting as visual analysis of a motif from nature. I try to create an artful arrangement of color and form, the purpose of which is to create beauty. My taste seems to be different from most of INTPs; my work has mostly been in a neo-post-impressionistic style, sometimes going more abstract. But I appreciate a wide variety of styles and see a lot of good work posted here. I don’t have anything handy to post but will when I can get around to it.

shortbuss

Local time
-->
I am drawn to art, but I don't think I have the skills to make anything I'd be happy with at the moment. I love drawing, but only in a very limited capacity. I can draw people, and that's pretty much it. I've become pretty good at it when I'm "in the zone". I also LOVE writing. I am close to being an INFP so I derive great pleasure in analyzing my emotions, and trying to make sense of them.

http://i.imgur.com/yoyWP.jpg

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:07 PM
-->
I am drawn to art, but I don't think I have the skills to make anything I'd be happy with at the moment. I love drawing, but only in a very limited capacity. I can draw people, and that's pretty much it. I've become pretty good at it when I'm "in the zone". I also LOVE writing. I am close to being an INFP so I derive great pleasure in analyzing my emotions, and trying to make sense of them.

Here's a drawing I did a few hours ago. Pretty simple, but super enjoyable. Unfortunately my motivation sucks and so I quit at the slightest frustration. Anyway, you can click the link below if you care.

http://i.imgur.com/yoyWP.jpg
http://imgur.com/yoyWP

Intentional pun? :confused:

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
So, here we go: are you an INTP? Do you consider yourself creative? Do you have fruits of your labors?

Post them. Let's analyze together.

I draw a lot, and I'm pretty good. But what are you calling "creative"? Just art? There are other forms of creativity...

P.S. You do know that Emek Refa'im isn't the center of the world, right?

Top Bottom