• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Street Fighter V

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 5:30 PM
-->
Anyone playing SFV?
I was pretty glad when M. Bison was shown to be included in the roster because for some reason I always liked his moves. He wasn't in SF3 either so I was worried. I mained him in SFIV, which was fucking terrible, but still playable for some reason.
They removed the fucking retarded jab combos but now I miss them. Instead combos are easier to do.
It took SFIV 5-6 years to attain classic status and seeing as how SFV just came out, people are already complaining. It does feel incomplete though. DLC characters are already announced but in 5 or so years the game should be as crazy and ridiculous as IV was, balance changes included.
Only worry is there's a chance they'll keep the roster as small as possible. IV started with 16 and ended up with 44.
As an added bonus you can play on PS4 or PC with cross compatibility. If anyone plays we can spar together.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Yesterday 8:30 PM
-->
I haven't played it, but I saw it just came out, and I spent about an hour the other night watching demo videos on YouTube for the game (where I guess they were showing the head-to-head competition players at the expo using a variety of characters). It was really cool. I thought Karin looked really interesting, play style wise; and her costume was neat. It looks like they really have perfected Vega as well, who I remember as a boss in SF2. I wanted to bitch-slap F.A.N.G, though, arggg.....

I saw Bison being played; yes, I think he fills a niche in the roster. Birdie looked pretty bad-ass. I was watching Nash and recognized a number of his moves as being similar to Guile's; I confirmed later the characters were related.

I really only played SF2 a decent amount (I beat the arcade version on all eight main characters) but didn't really play much after.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I haven't played it, but I saw it just came out, and I spent about an hour the other night watching demo videos on YouTube for the game (where I guess they were showing the head-to-head competition players at the expo using a variety of characters). It was really cool. I thought Karin looked really interesting, play style wise; and her costume was neat. It looks like they really have perfected Vega as well, who I remember as a boss in SF2. I wanted to bitch-slap F.A.N.G, though, arggg.....

Yeah, if I'm bored enough and can't find anything on Netflix; etc I'll play those off youtube for background noise for a little.
Karin is from the SF Zero series, she's apparently a fan favorite that we haven't seen in a while. They were asking for her to be put in IV but it didn't happen.. A lot of characters that fans wanted in IV and didn't make it might end up in V, I have a feeling. Karin is looking to be one of the better characters in the game so far, so to speak. I tried her out but wasn't my style.
Have been playing against a lot of decent Karin users though.
Played Vega a bit, he was fun. I liked stabbing people with the claws. He wasn't that popular in IV until late in it's lifespan. He isn't a charge character anymore, so there's that. I think some of the professional players will use him. F.A.N.G. doesn't seem to be too popular as of yet; also might be one of the joke characters that end up being really good ala Rufus.
Apparently, he replaces Sagat as one of Bison's henchmen. They say Sagat isn't included this time around to keep the game balanced - he's always really cheap in any game he's in. Storywise, I never really though of Sagat as evil (have read some manga depicting this notion) but more so brainwashed or what have you. Storyline takes place before SFIII (in which the "Illuminati" replaces Shadaloo) but that doesn't really matter I would hope as far as characters included. Some SFIII characters are already announced to be included eventually. For example Alex, the main character of SFIII, will be included and he apparently looks younger than he does in SFIII. Bison has white hair in here (and looks suspiciously like Neal McDonough..) and was possibly dead in SFIII. And since they're trying to make the game easier they're removing a lot of the charge inputs which people say are difficult to execute for some reason. Guile and Balrog will most likely retain their charge motions but I wonder about Urien.

I saw Bison being played; yes, I think he fills a niche in the roster. Birdie looked pretty bad-ass. I was watching Nash and recognized a number of his moves as being similar to Guile's; I confirmed later the characters were related.

Yeah, arguably he fits. He's cool but his quotes are always generically dictatorial especially at this point. No more psycho crusher but his replacement moves keep him more safe. Would have been interesting to see how that move operates in this one though. PC was really bad in vanilla IV and by the time I figured out how to use it more confidently and properly in Ultra it was too late. Actually it's still alive but much focus already seems to be shifting to V...
Birdie and Nash are also from the SF Zero series. I had Zero 3 on GBA, which was really cool. Birdie is all old and fat in this one and developed a fetish for food for some reason. In Zero 3 he was more of a British rocker guy so I'm not sure where the food thing came from. He's still pretty badass and has all his original moves but is no longer a charge character. Also, his command grabs are easier to do. The 360 doesn't exist in V, in accordance with making the game easier to play to newcomers...
Yeah, Charlie is Guile's partner and who he is always searching for. They were both in Marvel vs Capcom 2. Charlie is half zombie in this one and no longer a charge character. Will be amusing to see how it's all tied together. The story has for the most part always sucked and it's usually about the gameplay.
Bison also is more modeled after his Zero 3 (or MvC2) counterpart via his lack of PC and a new projectile attack. There were quite a few Zero 3 characters in IV but even though they got their shine I hope to see them return. Characters such as Cody, Guy, Rose, and Rolento. It's hard to say though, since Birdie, Nash, Mika, and Karin weren't in IV...
Also missing from the original roster is Honda and Blanka. Usually when the original 8 returned they all did. Whether they will eventually return remains to be known but I don't really miss them.

I really only played SF2 a decent amount (I beat the arcade version on all eight main characters) but didn't really play much after.

SF2 is still one of the best. In terms of gameplay Super Turbo is arguably more fun than IV.
No matter how much I played V I still suck. What's new here is that sweeps (usually crouching roundhouse) are too good and that's all you have to do. It makes you wait to get a good hit in because if someone blocks your move your character takes too long to recover, then they usually just sweep you. Granted, that's not the best thing to do (just like constant grabbing) as you want to score a big combo, but so far everyone online just sweeps like crazy. Have played a few good people though. I was hoping to enter some tournaments and dramatically improve.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
So an update:

Have been playing and performing on the higher end of the average spectrum, give or take. Have been using Bison and learning how to maneuver with him day by day. I was initially bored by him so I tried out some other characters as backup. Here's a fun fact:
I remember playing SF II at my grandparent's house and I used Ken. I also found him fun in CvS II and Super Turbo HD Remix and vanilla IV before eventually deciding to stick with Bison (irrespective of CvS II's team system).
My most difficult matchups (not considering any gaps in player skill) have been mostly with Necalli and good Birdie players. Have also played a good Nash. Necalli is some kind of Blanka/Akuma replacement - his wild man demeanor is reminiscent of Blanka but his role and character design should appeal to Akuma players. Unlike SFIII Akuma is nowhere to be seen (besides Tekken 7) although I find it likely he will eventually be included.
Some people are still complaining about the netcode. And rightfully so. The only modes I’ve been able to do is casual and ranked, which are similar (except one is ranked). I don’t like casual that much because it’s just like a quick fix and go and repeat if so desired. I can lose a match due to bullshit when it’s clear if we ran it back I probably wouldn’t lose. It’s common to win or lose a round only to take the next two or to win one round each resulting in a close or even match for either player. I kept getting disconnected from the battle network, the other mode, in which you can set up a lobby for multiple players and play however long you want, which can be good for learning. Most people, though, either win or lose one match then leave so it’s nice to be able to play with a sparring partner, especially if you need to work on matches.
People keep jumping, which can be easily punished. Once you get past that point it doesn’t feel like you’re doing anything remarkable. Pretty soon people should stop falling for the gimmicks. I wonder what that would be like.
How dare Capcom to release an unfinished product such as this. At least with IV it wasn’t really announced they would be adding DLC although subsequent editions are to generally be expected. However, even before the game came out they promised extra characters! Oh the nerve. The response has been positive that they won’t rerelease it. However, I at least hope they do and change the name a little (SSFV would be nice) so we can get a different menu. It’s fine now but let’s see it dismantled, scrapped, and revisited.
The music is alright so far. I would have, like in IV, complained that it doesn’t suit the series anymore but the style is pretty much alright for this day and age.
One annoying thing is in these online modes only the character themes play during matches, which get tiresome. On the battle lounge do the stage themes actually play. I suppose so.
Over the weekend I learned some Vega. He’s just doing his thing. Too late to main him but will be an extra fun character to use here and there. Might be best to just stick with what I know at this point, especially since I tried out two other characters before him. Only if I decided to have that much time on my hands would I go down that route. And, I don’t really see why not either. But still, I lost to a decent Vega player the other day using Bison so that preparation didn’t really help much. I think you find more skilled players in the lounge.
Have been using a controller so far and I hope to get a PS4/PC stick soon. At this point though I’m probably fair off with a controller considering this performance so far. It would just help activating certain things. I should just go ahead and set the two buttons to one of the shoulder ones just cause.
So whatever the case I can't wait for the next edition. I never liked Juri so that will be painful. She had a lot of fans though for some reason. Balrog was a difficult matchup for Bison in IV but I enjoyed the challenge so we'll see how that goes this time around. I miss Sagat because of this. I'm only excited to add Urien to my repertoire although that would require a considerable amount of time sunk in. Probably best to hit the circuits now while we're still in the early stages.

BarelyHuman

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:30 AM
-->
Not enough INTPs are into fighting games.

Shortly after sf4 ultra came i was ranked 2nd in the world with ryu for quite a while on the srk rankings (ryu is a pretty popular character btw). So i would consider my opinion pretty well informed.

Street fighter is an excellent game for INTPs imo. For anyone thinking about investing time into it just look up frame data, its pretty much an INTP's wet dream. Also here's a controversial opinion: -- you can rather accurately guess peoples types based on how they play. eg- their idea of risk/reward, how much they prefer set play and the amount of time spent practicing fundamentals all say a lot about someone. + a lot of other things but i won't bore you with the details.

This new version looks overly simplified compared to sf4 but i havent invested too much time into it yet.

tldr - more intps should play streetfighter and go to tournaments

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Not enough INTPs are into fighting games.
Maybe. Kind of a dodgy claim but they might be best for Pe oriented individuals. I have probably met some INTPs at Smash Bros tournaments though. There can maybe be some potential there.

Shortly after sf4 ultra came i was ranked 2nd in the world with ryu for quite a while on the srk rankings (ryu is a pretty popular character btw). So i would consider my opinion pretty well informed.
Ryu is usually a viable option in any game, besides MvC. He's decent in Smash Bros. as well.
I had a decent ranking in IV with my main but everytime they updated the game the rankings were reset. Now, after the third or fourth time I'm around where I was before. Recently I can't tell if I've gotten better or the community opposition has fallen out.

Street fighter is an excellent game for INTPs imo. For anyone thinking about investing time into it just look up frame data, its pretty much an INTP's wet dream. Also here's a controversial opinion: -- you can rather accurately guess peoples types based on how they play. eg- their idea of risk/reward, how much they prefer set play and the amount of time spent practicing fundamentals all say a lot about someone. + a lot of other things but i won't bore you with the details.
There's potential for anyone looking for something to learn.
That would be an interesting idea. Small sample sizes aside, I know an Fe guy who tends to be pretty good at the games. Also as I've said before, EXFP can probably be devoted. But ultimately there are unique individuals out there. See: Daigo, Wong, gootecks; etc

This new version looks overly simplified compared to sf4 but i havent invested too much time into it yet.

tldr - more intps should play streetfighter and go to tournaments
It kind of is but I fired up SFIV a few days ago and did not like it. Wouldn't really play it much anymore besides special events. It's still cool though.
The combo system is just different because it isn't based off jabs anymore. But it can be really fun. My only complaint so far is there's too few characters to choose from.
Ultimately what does over simplified mean? They said IV was simple compared to III but it's actually fairly complex in it's own right. Hopefully, I see a similar case happening with V in a few years. I need to practice everyday.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Will update this post soon - stay tuned!

BarelyHuman

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:30 AM
-->
It kind of is but I fired up SFIV a few days ago and did not like it. Wouldn't really play it much anymore besides special events. It's still cool though.
The combo system is just different because it isn't based off jabs anymore. But it can be really fun. My only complaint so far is there's too few characters to choose from.
Ultimately what does over simplified mean? They said IV was simple compared to III but it's actually fairly complex in it's own right. Hopefully, I see a similar case happening with V in a few years. I need to practice everyday.

I've found that the lax link timing removes the need to plink which is incredibly depressing since I like the plinks/double plinks in sf4. The block stun on normals seems longer so more time to input reversals. Whiff punishing seems diminished by stubby hitboxes which is arguably the most difficult part of footsies. You cant jab tech or crouch tech anymore from what i'v found so there's less defensive techniques. Back dashes are no longer invincible no need to learn option selects to cover those things. Hard knockdowns seem pretty much removed so safe jumps and blocking ambiguous crossups isn't as emphasized. The damage on throws is terrible and with no real setups afterwards its takes away from the frame trap/ throw game.

Removing all these would be fine if they added new systems but they haven't put much back from what i've seen.

imo if stripped down too much the mixup game at is core is just rock paper scissors and the ground game is reaction speed / judging of distance / risk management.

I hope more depth is found as time goes on but my initial impressions of it aren't great.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I've found that the lax link timing removes the need to plink which is incredibly depressing since I like the plinks/double plinks in sf4.
A lot of people liked them, some said they didn't even work, but altogether made the game that much more complex and exciting. True in here that combos are almost too easier to do given that you don't hesitate.
The block stun on normals seems longer so more time to input reversals.
Only partially true. They made it so every move is more punishable but certain category of move always have long start up or long recovery. This has been an interesting topic for a while now. How fair is too fair? Given that you have different classes of characters, their approach must be somewhat different. If it was all equal then no one would do anything and just wait for the other person to do something first but you have to get in the right spot to hit them. It would make boring gameplay. Certain characters also have good frame traps in an almost unequal way... Giving them an easier time to get reversals and counter attacks. For example, shoryuken is now -5 on block every time, but it didn't really change mechanics that much. If need be you can look at it as progression story wise, as their fighting techniques change, which I'm sure is semi intentional.
Whiff punishing seems diminished by stubby hitboxes which is arguably the most difficult part of footsies. You cant jab tech or crouch tech anymore from what i've found so there's less defensive techniques.
That has been an issue but I suspect more so with certain characters. In particular I have notice a, to affect gameplay, shortening of certain characters pokes. You just have to readjust spacing. The grab game is a bit different now, it's basically 50/50. If you jab you get grabbed but if you grab you eat a nasty crush combo. It's basically a reward system for putting the opponent in that situation but to make it fair, it's a 50/50 guess game.
Back dashes are no longer invincible no need to learn option selects to cover those things.
Yes but other utilizations for dashing are currently being discovered as we speak and assimilated into practice. So it isn't the same game yet I would totally love to see more USFIV. I feel it can be appreciated more a la CvS2. However, back dashes are invincible against command grabs but crush punishable. So again it's the new guessing game adjustment system they put in.
Hard knockdowns seem pretty much removed so safe jumps and blocking ambiguous crossups isn't as emphasized. The damage on throws is terrible and with no real setups afterwards its takes away from the frame trap/ throw game.
True and there are many new get up techniques available now. You only get hard knocks on crush counters which can actually be pretty common. Someone's string can be too repetitive so you can easily get out of those, plus they added v reversal to sacrifice a meter for a white damage free knockdown (not hard), but those can easily be grabbed. The same ol characters have the same cross up approach so it's actually looking a very similar game to SFIV in some respects. Only difference is characters have different moves and you mostly can't link jab into mediums for regular combos.
Removing all these would be fine if they added new systems but they haven't put much back from what i've seen.

imo if stripped down too much the mixup game at is core is just rock paper scissors and the ground game is reaction speed / judging of distance / risk management.

I hope more depth is found as time goes on but my initial impressions of it aren't great.

There definitely will be more depth either way, whether it's appealing or similar to previous SF games is another issue. They added some new stuff, looks like they mostly want to focus on the v trigger system with a lesser emphasis on their v skill. Using all the meter you can basically do a FADC like maneuver once per full, and since meters regenerate quickly in this one there's basically no point in not using the super or v meters.

Almost forgot about this thread, I haven't been playing much lately and still suck but not as bad as I would have thought, with a little training I should be good in no time. Got my TE2 S+ in the mail recently so I've been using that instead of pad. Difference is the same, just gotta adjust and hopefully more practice will bring more preparedness because in the heat of matches, it could smoke all the difference. Even though I still suck, these experiences can make all the difference and lead to surprising wins. But it never really ends.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Will update this post soon - stay tuned!

Alex revealed!
pP8FxNB
pP8FxNB.jpg

pP8FxNB

08_Critical_Art.png

alex-sfv-screenshot11.jpg

sfv-alex-4gamer-03.jpg

alex-sfv-screenshot12.png

alex-sfv-screenshot14.png

alex-sfv-screenshot16.png

sfv-alex-9.jpg

alex-sfv.png

Very exciting stuff.

There are more characters in the game now which makes for quite the crazy mix!It's always interesting seeing how your guy compares to the new ones, given that the newer characters usually get small advantages and being more able to take advantage of the mechanics. Also, when people online start using them they either suck or are amazingly skillful given how short it had been released. Usually they go to live events or are official and so get some early hands on play.

For some history, he became the main character in SFIII, replacing the shotos and Chun-li even though they were still present. He's a wrestler and comes equipped with grappler style moves, quite the departure from the usual shoto shtick. I still fail to see why this guy is so popular - I never understood the hype, although I was small when 3S first came out. Maybe people were just tired of Ryu generally and wanted a fresh young face, American or not. He's from New York. He's both charge and not. Obviously, I can tend to have trouble with this match up. It's pretty much like the same thing all over again. He wasn't in SFIV so they put him in here, although he was in TvC. He has a headstomp like Bison, although faster, and a dash chop, plus when he's close in he can frame trap and command grab. Plus he has an anti-air CG, basically everything except fire ball. But I still don't get why this guy has a huge fan base.
He made a cameo at the end of the 3S manga, representing his entrance and providing reason as to how he became protagonist.
He was originally in the background of that stage working on his truck, when you select him and go there he's gone. In SFIV Hugo could be seen at the construction stage then when you choose him and go there he's just replaced by a generic guy.
Similarly Balrog is in the airplane at the airway stage, if you choose him Vega is in it, if both are chosen Bison is in the plane watching. So there was that.

Oh yeah Guile is out too now!
CgVX10sVAAAuFIA.jpg

Guile-Street-Fighter-V-criticsight-im%C3%A1genes-5.jpg

chara_guile2_pop.jpg

Very exciting stuff. They all seem ready and like they're being hurried out to please the audiences and the game as complete as can be before evo. They can be figured out relatively soon but can take years to master, it's hard and takes loads of time.

They even already previewed Juri and Balrog! Juri was very popular in IV but I didn't see the appeal, but from what I've seen so far she is sexier in this one. Balrog is pretty much the same, and was very popular before so they brought him back. Now all we really need is Sagat, who makes no appearance for story related reasons. I believe he'll be back.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Yesterday 8:30 PM
-->
Damn, Alex is huge (!)

Guile -- old fave, oh he with the impossibly long leg sweep.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Damn, Alex is huge (!)

Guile -- old fave, oh he with the impossibly long leg sweep.
Yeah he's a big man. I like this fan art with him and Chun-Li, it isn't canon though.

commission__chun_li_and_alex_by_danusko-d765sxi.jpg

But I still don't get the appeal? I think people were happy to get a new protagonist for SFIII but his character design isn't that cool, really. It's just different.
Guile still has the double leg sweep, which is like impossible to do in real life. Also the upside down reverse kick, which is a fan favorite. Thankfully, he stayed the same and only has two moves, plus his command normals. His only new thing is vskill, which is the sonic saw, and allows you to shoot it then throw a sonic boom after for two fireballs. His trigger makes it so he can throw many in a row.

Remy is another char we haven't seen since S3. He was the Guile replacement and had his moves for some reason, being a frenchman. He had a sonic boom, called light of virtue, and could also throw a low one unlike Guile or Nash. When Juri came along they gave her a low fireball, which are rare in SF. I wonder if they'll add Remy in this one, especially because the aforementioned three are included... There might not be space for another sonic character, let alone adding two with a low fb. But, they might be different dimensions because Juri's travels along the floor like a KoF fb whereas Remy's low sonic was more above ground, kind of middle-ish.
Like in IV you could hurricane kick through hadokens and Guile's sonic but couldn't go through Seth's, since he was so tall.

So I think I've been improving except the game gets repetitive since you're doing the same moves over (SF tends to have a low amount of moves mapped compared to 3D fighters like Tekken; etc) and sometimes the only strategy is to actually do the same move two or three times in a row just to get a decent frame trap. I can't recall much of that ever previously, besides using Bison in which that is basically necessary for the type of char he is, but in this one, everyone does that, even while you're blocking. But, I feel my time with USFIV paid off because I mostly know what I'm doing and don't fall for many cheap tricks, especially during matchups from IV.

Well, a perfect example of this is Bison vs Balrog (dictator vs boxer). Boxer was one of the best characters in IV. Bison was very middle; even though both had no fireballs Balrog seemed to have an advantage which was very difficult to figure out.

They are both charge but Balrog was able to stay boxed in and block everything only to easily mash out a counter.

Bison sucked in there because he was all combat. His ultra sucked and he had no real setups; it was good but just inconvenient to land ever so you had to rely on his other tools. He had a fast walk speed and dash but a floaty jump - you could never jump in to anything unless expertly predicted. The game got crazy once they started adding a bunch of characters and changing things around but it still didn't help much. It's interesting to see how young he is in that one compared to in V. His walk speed is much slower, like Sagat's, but his dash is kind of fast.

In V his roundhouse is reduced to a knee, sacrificing tons of range. Instead of using his body as a projectile via PC he now has PB, psycho blast, which is just a hand orb fireball, actually pretty useful and something to stop Boxer's rush, a tool he didn't have in IV. Now the match seems more even but individual player skill is still a huge part of it.

Another weird move they gave him to make up for no PC is inferno, which has interesting properties but is a kind of lackluster, generic move honestly. Still has headstomp and DR but they're the same move now. DR is different in everygame, terrible in IV, people said it was a ripoff of his CvS2 version which is the fan favorite, but we all know the move was best in Super Turbo. But it will never be like that again because mechanics. Luckily, with v trigger activated it somewhat could resemble it.
So instead of pressing punch twice you just press punch before headstomp ends. A different move but it can surprise. But it's still just as punishable as ever and the timing has to be really right. It also resets so you can hit them after it, just another quick subtle tool that helps increase his damage output.

In fact, the reason I've been having a decent win streak is because his super (ultra) is actually plausible and can be landed at least once around. In IV, every character had good ultra setups besides Bison, incidentally, and you can really feel the change.

Also he has no command teleport but instead, his dash animation is a teleport, how it should be. His warp was good at first in vanilla IV but after all the updates it was rendered unusable for some reason, by adding extra recovery to the end of it and even reducing the range it went! There was no point, but in here you can just dash and it's like a teleport. A neat little thing. It can go through fireballs but the timing is hard.

There are still a couple neat combos I need to get before I can fully be confident such as ex inferno into ex headstomp, but the inferno generally requires a cr. medium punch canceled into blast, which is canceled into the inferno, which takes practice and luck to find yourself in that situation, mess up once and you lost a chance to land a stylish combo! The hardest part about SFIV to me was getting in close to begin a jab sequence because the other player oddly enough just jabs you first. Where does it begin and end?

So every character is good but player skill is the real gap. There are tier lists so basically if one person is copied so as to have two individuals of identical skill level, one clone using the best character and the other clone using the worst, the one using the best will more often than not win. If the best player using the worst char goes against the worst player using the best char, the best player will still probably win.

Rashid is a pretty good character, being one of the newcomers.
t9fnv3y8tqezmpj6niqk.png

His playstyle is something never seen before although he takes the tornado animations from Cody; etc. He has a dash kick that goes across the screen and does lots of damage but if you block it can easily get a punish. Good players just hit you. He's kind of fast and his gimmick seems to be not relenting and giving you a chance to hit him. Of course they'll add a middle eastern guy in today. There weren't really any before besides large gypsy wrestlers or Shaheen from Tekken 7, also recently inducted.

I thought I wouldn't have trouble against him but have played a few good ones. Figuring out the best strategy for this matchup since he's new and it isn't familiar yet like say Ryu vs Bison.

Dhalsim is supposed to be really good in this one as well, and has a beard.
SFV-Dhalsim-1.jpg

One of my pals used him in SFIV so I thought I had a handle on it but have still played against some good ones. He's pretty much the same but has new float and teleport gimmicks as well as a fire spill, which does damage while you stand in it. I've beaten some really bad as well... The matchup can be fun and can go either way. Bison tends to have the unique ability to get in from faraway using headstomp or scissors. But against Dhalsim, he can easily be stuffed by the limbs or knocked out the air, plus the no hand DR jump in gimmick is gone because it's a part of headstomp now. But usually both chars are jumping over the place, teleporting here and there until one goes down. It's no joke.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
It's exciting because "season two" is coming out soon, which is the typical balance changes Capcom makes to the game after observing it in tournaments. They used to just release separate, new games but now they can just update it. A lot of people were mad at them for releasing an unfinished game with all the paid downloadable content but they seemingly had to release it early in order to actually make a finished product. So with the balance changes there are obviously more characters coming soon, rumored to be brand new.

Since I'm maining M. Bison I mostly checked out his updates, the majority of which were adjustments similar to the rest of the cast and a couple frame adjustments that made people suggest they're changing him into a more rushdown oriented character. But Bison has always sucked and while they added a useful combo, which was previously only a combo on CH for some reason, I think it may make little difference once again.

And you know what? Ever since Super Turbo (Super Street Fighter II) I feel they really had to tone M. Bison down a bunch for competitive player play, seeing as how he was the original boss and had a bunch of cool looking filler moves, that are actually useless once you sit down and play him. Vega (Claw) pretty much sucked in IV but Balrog was one of the best characters although he sucks in this one, mainly due to the different mechanics the system runs on.

But Vega is good and fun in this one and Bison is still so-so, average. Look at SFIV. At first lk. double knee press was 0 on block but then they changed it to -1 in the final build, but gave him the ability to combo moves from medium punch - if you add you have to subtract. So they are doing something similar here too.

But when SFII first came out everyone was trying to learn Bison. Akuma ended up being a secret boss and had an air hadouken which made him hard. I think Bison's coolness distracted everyone from who they wanted people to focus on. If you look at another thing it's all the alternate colors for costumes they have. Bison's hands originally changed with his outfit. The original red (I prefer the blue outfit from ST with subsequent orange hands) had green hands and PC was yellow. His other popular outfit was the white and red one with purple hands. However this is no longer so. Now since IV his hands and the psycho power are purple all over which makes for a kind of boring effect. This plus some influenced character design from various manga and media for all the characters probably had them tone it down. PC was always a fun move but a curious pattern arose, and it isn't even in V besides in the form of a super. Take instance: whenever PC is fast, his forward and roundhouse are slow, and vice versa. In IV those were some of his best normals while PC was sluggish compared to in II, which was the fun move everyone loved to blindly spam. They lost and it never worked. In IV, he still sucked, but you had to concentrate in order for it to actually be effective and to hit with it at all. It was good. It was similar in CvS but they changed it in IV.

So with all that also came his psychic looking powers, levitation and all the rest. Headstomp may be due to that, as well as the mandatory somersault skull diver, which never really works. The only time it works is if they jump and you headstomp at the same time, then it wins. But otherwise you can sometimes headstomp over a fireball. The other jump move is DR, which also never really works. Like Guile, if you were fighting the AI they can pull the moves out at anytime but in reality you have to charge. So they were good for a boss tactic but don't really translate into actual play.

Furthermore you did that move by pressing up and punch but now you press punch before headstomp and can't control it, which makes it way different. Before you could fake out but now have to judge the distance via which punch, fierce going the furthest, plus you can time it before it's too late. Cool game, but different, sort of as fun. The reason is, the ex version is the old school one except he doesn't jump to the other side of the screen. Similar to PC in IV, the ex version went as fast as it used to exclusively, which is why that mainly happened. The trade off wasn't worth it because as a reversal it still had hittable invincible frames on start up.

I liked the references though like how in HD Remix they gave DR invincible frames so he could escape the corner, and they did that with the ex version. In here though like in Turbo his only reversal is super. I don't know what PB or inferno are supposed to be but generic attacks, PB being an infantile version of his fireball he had in Zero, and which is the ex version of it.

One other thing I can't get over is how asian Bison always looked in the series, like a Korean dictator. People weren't sure what he was supposed to be, even going so far as to suggest a pilot of some sort. Obviously, as you fought him in Thailand, some military connection or source was implied (or militia, as he was the last guy). You fought Sagat there too. And PC always looked like a missile of some sort for that, given all the stereotypes the series encompasses. DR looks like an airplane of some sort, with his hand being a wing. And double knee press? Perhaps some brute force maneuver, it almost resembles a tank for some reason. So M. Bison was a pure military man, maybe with some pilot connection involved. His flaming hands were just for cool extra effect. And the pun? Why is it psycho? Well, I'll tell you. There's always some crazy power obsessed quality to these guys as is well known. In Japanese, there are two words "saikyou" and "saikou", 最強 & 最高 respectively. One means the strongest and the other the highest, or most supreme. As you can see it has nothing to do with insanity. I wonder if it was lost in translation or a deliberate pun. Either way something to sort of think about.

Now traditionally the JPN voice dubbing has always been better than ENG but this time around most people will admit the USA dub is of considerable quality and the Japanese one lacking a bit. He even says "Ultimate psycho crusher" in full English, as well as "blast". Kind of odd, wonder if it was deliberate. But we will see as the game progresses. Ryu & Ken still sound decent though if not hampered by saying cheesy things, so it's a little balanced out. Anyway Akuma was actually revealed so that's something to look forward to. The game actually sucks but there isn't much else to play at the moment. I've been in the mood to play it the past few days. If anyone wants to get a set going let me know!

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
So it turns out what Bison's hand is doing during Devil's Reverse is slapping you while it flames. It doesn't look like it'll hurt but in terms of the animation it's also a chop or a quick smack, and sometimes even a poke. It doesn't look like the poke would be effective in an actual combat situation at all, so I find that less believable. He doesn't really practice a real martial art so it can't be found there. However, chops have been integrated in combat so as to be effective and despite his mysteriousness I doubt he's a real zen enough master to do a light finger poke attack and have the heart stop. The only difference is during devil's reverse his hand is aflame so it could do more damage, otherwise, I wouldn't think it would hurt that much, so it must be something like that. The move is almost pathetic but they had to give him something to work with in order to flesh out his repertoire and provide more fake outs.

Most suggest the moves aren't worth it because you want to stay out the air. Even though it works sometimes that automatically disqualifies two moves that you should do if you want to survive, so it isn't recommended to use them but in a design sense, they are interesting attacks. It just depends on how much they wanted to point out his levitation or floating abilities, as everyone knows, he's based off a 90's anime villain who used similar telekinetic like devices.

During double knee press he also uses some of it for extra thrust, even though it's just a drop kick like technique. The biggest change is in previous games you would get a knockdown but in here it leads to a stalemate like Ken's hurricane kick so you're liable to receive damage after if you aren't careful. It can still be a useful move but it's obvious. They changed his lk so it doesn't combo twice and his punch too. His light punch has always had a chop/poke animation too, although here it looks like it could be an effective slap too now. I wouldn't doubt it. Because another change they did is get rid of near/far moves, and they only have one variation now. In IV his far lp was a poke. Also during somersault skull bash he does the same thing but it's a slam so there was always a pattern with those kinds of hand techniques.

But it's because he has a made up martial art. Only thing is the devil's reverse animation could be a flaming poke but what would the jabs be? I suppose we'd have to make due with them also being finger pokes instead of a punch but the DR depends on which angle he comes from; he can drop straight down or come from diagonal so wherein it can be a poke. But it's a useless move and using it is pathetic in the first place. The ex version is pretty good and can surprise opponents but you can't spam it. It must be zero on recovery or block but you can't always get a free grab afterwards. It depends on when you push the button too. Press it soon enough and it can get you out of sticky situations so you don't always have to wait the full animation to do it. Pretty soon the technique will be picked up on and won't surprise people as much or work, so one of the few attacks he has with combo potential will be put on the back burner.

There's just a strange yellow glow highlight they have when they do ex moves. There weren't any ex versions of moves until the Street Fighter: The Movie game. In IV the ex version of it had invincibility frames on startup so he could escape fireball situations, something he didn't have in super turbo until they released HD remix. Unless they removed it he'll have it in Ultra II. But he doesn't have that here and the ex version doesn't have those essential frames so that thing has become diminished.

And there's not as much control as there used to be, after the New Challengers where it was sort of automatic. Even in IV after the initial jump and flip and move forward you could control it a little bit, for whatever effect it had. But in this one you can't, so you have to time it and choose your strength accordingly. Still doesn't seem good for much but can be surprisingly effective when people don't know what to do. The v-trigger version can disappear and go to the other side but it isn't the same as how it used be and seems more predictable than before.

And so I stand by what I said when I said he was a military person. He's aka Dictator. The home console version had a cool effect on his hand where it would change color but in the arcade version it was just a uniformly colored flame.

sf2ce-box2.jpg

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
There's a strange peanut butter jelly effect you get when you do EX DR for someone reason, I wonder if it was a deliberate design decision. It's just when the yellow ex frames mix with the purple psycho power and it looks like a sandwich. Also not sure why it's +13 on block, this means you have a few options after it hits with a 50% chance or so of them working, You might be able to get a grab but that antic is getting phased out already. Ex scissors is +1 on block which reminds of ultra when light double knee press was zero before they changed it to -1, which made a big difference. So scissors is pretty safe either way until they catch on and notice the pattern. You can combo after v-trigger ex dr, which gives it some use but you still don't want to spam it out, even though it's an apparently good move with decent damage. You can't really do much with the advantages but lay on more pressure for chip or grey damage, it's all going to be blocked anyway. No longer are the invincibility frames on the jump start up, now they are on the flip when he's in the air. A pretty good example of references to past games while changing it up a bit. The move was performed by charging down then pressing up and punch, instead of kick like with headstomp, so it looked like headstomp, but can be used for trickery if done right, hence the reverse part. It doesn't always work especially in high level play, so it must be used accordingly. The move has seen much evolution in each iteration. In this one the charge and punch doesn't exist, so you have to do headstomp but press punch before it lands to actually do the flip and hand stab attack. It's really slow and animated so I don't know how anyone would get hit by it but it actually sometimes works. This was when they were rounding off his moveset as they gave characters new ones (Chun-Li didn't originally have a fireball until it was added in Hyper Fighting) in the New Challengers. He only had headstomp at first. So I'm firmly convinced, while it being all they had to work with, the move was designed to look like a fighter plane to further round off his quasi military regime moveset. You only had to press punch once when the move first came out. This was the only video I could find of it, and the V iteration besides not being able to jump to the other side of the screen resembles it somewhat (should be at 22 minutes and 2 seconds. It starts with Bison doing a headstomp but missing since Ryu moved, then the second leap he does is devil's reverse). They added quite a few new animations.
https://youtu.be/SKIsxuy4IAg?t=22m2s

Bonus video. Here's a clip of the console version which had different sprite animations and his hand was more colorful instead of a uniform like plasma. Once again it should start at 34 minutes and 51 seconds:
https://youtu.be/sgOs6bgSBJY?t=34m51s

But I don't know why I'm even posting this, let alone here. Since I typed this post over a few days ago I may as well post it though. There is a further note about the boxart above, however. Like Guile up there, when certain characters activate their v-trigger they get energy bands around their hands, like bracelets. It looks kind of silly because if they die or win a match with it activate they just disappear instantly (or 'dissipate') after a few seconds at the designated time. I suppose it's suppose to look "old school". This happens with Guile and Chun-Li, and I'm guessing they are supposed to be symbols that the character is powered up, a trope in and of itself. Bison has psycho power flowing around his body. Ryu gets his denjin renki, so gets denjin hadouken and has electricity flowing around his hands in addition to the lighting based attacks. Then once the meter depletes, the symbols disappear. It just looks kind of silly when it's still activated as a round ends, for this day and age of high powered electronics and digital media. The same kind of thing is Bison has an alternate costume with no hat. His normal victory animation has him take his hat off and smooth his hair before putting it back on. With the alternate costume he does the same thing even though he has no hat. Street Fighter (Capcom) has always done this. Of course, this became a problem when they switched from single screen victory animations and intros to CGI based movies. Only single screens are used for round victories but once you win a match it switches to the mini movie animation, in which they only have one. So gone are the CvS II days of special character interactions, now every character just does the same thing everytime.

But he does have yet another costume with a goatee wherein he looks more like Neal McDonough, who played Bison in the Chun-li movie. This was ridiculous at the time but in a retrograde fashion more people will accept it because his appearance in this movie. You originally fought Bison in Thailand. This suggested some ties or else he was just some scumbag (reference to one of his endings) making business deals over there, but he always looks Asian especially in IV. He always had black or brown hair. I'm not sure if he's supposed to be old in this one but he has white hair. They take it to mean his body is degrading at a faster rate because of the unstable power. But he also looks more Caucasian as a result; it is unclear whether this is the same body as the one in IV but recent information suggest that Bison is actually a bodiless demon that preys on the strong and inhabits different beings from generation to generation, so in a sense he is invincible.

He wasn't in III and this is a prequel to that (just like IV was) so it's presumed he dies. I haven't finished the second story mode yet so that would be a good project for the weekend, to see how they handled his failure exactly. That's where there are rumors that he's actually Q in Third Strike, a mysterious robot showing up at crime scenes all over the world. It probably isn't intentional but he has Balrog's moves. Bison vs Balrog has always been a troublesome match up, made a little easier in this one of course (since he doesn't have headbutt except as a v-reversal) so couldn't it make a little sense he would be modeled after him? Even though he was probably only made to fill in the space of that niche. I don't know. Whoever is in charge of the story can make those decisions. Characters have moves here that they don't have in the story based sequel, even though it takes place at a later date. The gameplay isn't really that canon. And the characters just decide to make those changes to their fighting style. For example, in III, which takes place after, one character doesn't have a crossup. This game comes out and he doesn't have one, presumably since he didn't in the sequel. But season two comes out and they patch it and give him a crossup, which when it comes around, he doesn't have that hitbox anymore, in the sequel. Trivial details yes but still, if they are going to bother making a story and all that how would they just do that? It's like any number of other things.

So I also think the entire continuity is one big alternate reality. Each fight, each game. Realistically they should only fight once or twice otherwise the entire series turns into G.I. Joe. There are different colors for outfits which plays into it. One match they wear regular outfits, another match Ken decides to fight wearing blue clothes instead of red. And what if that match is canon? Silly remark after it and all. Well, there is no canon. Initially Bison throws the tournament to seek out strong fighters so he can take their body. It was always interesting that you go to Thailand twice in a row. But Sagat is no longer around, having his statue in the Lair replaced with F.A.N.G.'s. No one can make up their mind who beats who. Is it Ryu? Or does Guile kill Bison? Or Charlie? How about Karin or Chun-li? It all happens infinitely over and over again, and depends on player skill.

So for the life of me this game is hard. Not sure why I still play it. A tradition carried over from childhood in which the newest game merely piques my interest. I can only ever beat players I'm better than. Otherwise it's a hopeless scenario. But it's the only way to improve. I saw a fact once that said, in the canon, Ryu actually loses most of his fights. Well, I don't know. It's too late. I was at Ultra Silver ranking before getting bumped back down to Super. I kept getting paired up with Gold and losing, although I won a few. At this rate it will take forever to get to Gold and actually be good. It tricks you because I started off winning matches until I got to a certain point where I was being paired with similarly skilled players and better, to see what the skill gap actually is. There's just something about the way you move. It's like playing a really fast game of pong, scrambling to try and find it, pressing buttons unnecessarily. But all the knowledge and philosophy in the world doesn't help. What helps is knowing the matchup, so you have to know how every character works. And they just keep pumping them out. Every character has his or her own catalogue of good stuff. Some only have one unsafe move and others can just score big damage from the smallest instances of crouching medium kick or what have you. It's unfair. But life is.

This isn't the Street Fighter game you've been hoping for. There will never be another CvS II.

I like some of the other canon like box art though:
latest

latest

Makes me wonder if we'll ever see characters like Blanka, E. Honda, or Sagat, who are missing. Hopefully not for most, as that will introduce more stress. I'm considering going back to IV, even though I should be playing them simultaneously. I wish I had nothing to do but play games. Hope Sagat gets revealed because that will introduce much missed challenge from the IV days.

But it's clear no one is playing this, so it's time to move on and look for new games to play, anyone have recommendations? Looking for strategy/adventure/rpg stuff. May be particularly interested in rts.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I don't like SFV. The combo system is dumb and some characters just have it too easy. I miss the cool looking combos from IV, where you had to jab multiple times and connect it to another move to cancel into a special attack.

I don't understand how the game is supposed to work. You hit someone and their HP goes down. How does anyone ever get hit? Can't you just press back and block the whole time? Why doesn't that ever happen? Yet players insist on moving and trying to press buttons. Eventually someone gets hit and it isn't funny anymore; they can lose by time out. So the fight begins. People try to hit the other one but they have to press the button at the right time.

It'll do a small amount of damage so you have to go for the big, fierce combos which are harder to execute but more worth it.

It's too stressful. It doesn't make sense. You just have to press the right buttons. But there's a priority system. Press the wrong button and you already lost. Plus it's dummy easy to make comebacks... With every character except Bison. I tried to learn some others and have had some decent luck, actually. I just need to memorize the more complex combos.

Just switch a character with cheaper win potential. The biggest difference is you can't kill by chipping now. Unless you use a super, the final health won't deplete. Also, supers don't contribute to stun, which is interesting. It's also cool how you pick the stage first instead of after you choose your characters.

So I'm done. This game isn't fun anymore. I don't understand how people get hit and I don't understand how I win matches. Why do these people get hit by me and lose? What are they doing? I suck. It must come from muscle memory during the fun CvSII days and whatever super turbo knowledge I have from X-Box. Then I got to play IV with some pretty decent people. But still. What is the basis behind all these footies, walk ins and jumps? It doesn't make sense besides someone trying to hit me but I press a faster button at the same time or a split second before and win that out. But repeat that for an average of a minute and you got yourself a won match.

I need to work on grabs. That's all people do but you can tech them. It's all the same principles from before. You can tell when they're going to grab so you have to grab too. Only problem is if they punch or kick you lose, eat a nasty combo, and lose a chunk of health. Since no one grabs, as a rule, you might have a tendency to repeat that loop. It's a massive learning scale as you adjust to the pace.

I'm done. Looking to play a game like Magic the Gathering, Hearthstone or something similar to Supreme Commander 2. Someone recommend something.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I got my systems running again so I can play. It's one of the few, or only, games I've been playing recently. Vega (Claw, Balrog in JP) was fun when I picked him up earlier, though I dropped him to focus on my mains. I might go back and main him, incidentally, as he's pretty good. I only used him some in other games because his style wasn't that appealing to me then as it wasn't really that fun.

He could however be the best example of "guy wearing a mask to prevent damage", as I've said in the past and that's noted elsewhere.

Top Bottom