• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

how would you describe your personnality, yourself without MBTI ? what would be the etiology of t

WALKYRIA

Local time
Today 12:04 PM
-->
OK guys, this post has for purpose to find patterns in our lives ; patterns who might explain our personality type INTP. Hopefully this will lead to uncover the possibly environnemental/ genetical etiology(ies) of our behaviour/ cognition/ socially akwardness/INTPness/..Etc
Many people think that we born with our MBTI, but I believe that it's actually a subtile mix of genes and environnement...like a lot of thingz.

What I'd like is us to explain how we'd describe ourselves IF UNAWARE OF MBTI OR BEFORE MBTI(i'll give an example later).
I'd like us to explain :
-why we think we behave like we are?
-why we think we have our fears?
-why we think love and friendship is difficult?
-Why we think we have our quirks ?
-why we think we have our shortcomings?
-... basically how you'd describe yourself/difficulties/behaviour + what is the possible cause of this behaviour?

This can go very intimate, SO you can realy explain why you think you are like that.
If we find patterns, that's bingo !

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
Today 8:04 AM
-->
-why I think I behave like I do?
I think I was born this way for the most part. I was always curious and wanted to know why things happened and how they came to be. Also my introverted temperament caused be to be a little distant as a kid.

-why I think I have my fears?
I think I fear people knowing too much about me because of an experience where that knowledge has been used against me and failing because of the whippings and the consequences came with it.

-why I think love and friendships are difficult?
I see relationships as too much work sometimes, and as of late I've been at war with the idea that they aren't important. This may be again because of the experiences I've had in the past where my feelings have been neglected and deemed as unimportant by parents and myself.

-Why I think I have my quirks ?
While this is just a theory, I think my quirks (which are talking to myself, twirling writing utensils or pacing while thinking) originated from being by myself too long and having no one to talk to. I could be wrong and could be an INTJ "extroverting my thinking", or just auditory learner.

Genetics tailored by Environment/Family. I mentioned I was curious from the start but the fact that I was surrounded by S-types who couldn't really tell me why they did what they did, caused me to reject doing somethings. They had no reason to do them and I wasn't taught how to do them. When comes to my interest I always loved complex systems/ theories and ideas thanks to the books and games that my parents gave me to keep me busy and out of there hair.

-... basically how you'd describe yourself/difficulties/behavior + what is the possible cause of this behavior?
Curious - Genetics
Lazy- Environment maybe genetics
Not in tune with emotions- Environment may be genetics ( They killed my dog, beat me, basically they didn't care what I thought or felt as long as I didn't disobey)
Social Status - Environment ( I started as Introvert but liked talking to people but then people started neglecting me so I started staying in my corner longer causing awkward or weird behavior. Plus my interest were different)
Low self esteem- Not INTP trait but caused heavily by my environment.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
OK guys, this post has for purpose to find patterns in our lives ; patterns who might explain our personality type INTP. Hopefully this will lead to uncover the possibly environnemental/ genetical etiology(ies) of our behaviour/ cognition/ socially akwardness/INTPness/..Etc
Many people think that we born with our MBTI, but I believe that it's actually a subtile mix of genes and environnement...like a lot of thingz.

What I'd like is us to explain how we'd describe ourselves IF UNAWARE OF MBTI OR BEFORE MBTI(i'll give an example later).
I'd like us to explain :
-... basically how you'd describe yourself/difficulties/behaviour + what is the possible cause of this behaviour?

This can go very intimate, SO you can realy explain why you think you are like that.

I am going to respond to this personally as I don't believe I can honestly respond to us as a group.

-Why do I think I behave like I do?
I am only about 50% sure I actually understand myself enough to answer this question. I think my behavior comes form many different factors. When a situation fist happens I have a choice.

React
Think
Ignore
or procrastinate

At least this is my list to choose form it may be different for everyone.
Generally if I am presented with new value neutral information or action I ponder it and think about it. I try to adapt as much information as I can form any information I learn. Its not a perfect science but my system has reviled many secretes to me so far.

Sudden none neutral information or action I generally react to quite ADD actually. Basically if I find my self in a situation that I enjoy or dislike suddenly without warning I will react impulsively first then think about it secondly. generally my initial impulse is to do or see more. Even things I don't like can fascinate me just because I don't like them.

If the none neutral/value neutral information is repetitive or seems repetitive to me. I generally tune out and ignore it. This gets me in trouble because not all information that starts are repetitive ends that way. I am very much in my head most of the time so ignore information has been a problem for me when I believe incorrectly that I already know or understand the information.

When given a dead line to research or absorb some information or preform some action I generally wait until I no longer have the option of waiting any longer. Yet another one of my faults.

And Why? Because it is second nature to me. Its very much like breathing I really don't even consider it most of the time.

-Why do I think I have my fears?

Well what are my Fears?
I am afraid of death
I am afraid of "Nothing" (well actually the philosophical recognition of the therm nothing)
I am afraid of not living up to what I can be.

So Why.

Death - I don't honesty have a full understanding of the process of death and this lack of understanding scars me.

Nothing/nothingness- For something to be completely absent of any value or form is scary if you think about it too much and I do.

Personal expectations- My goals are to reach the stars and I have accepted that landing on the moon is still a worthy accomplishment, however sometimes I still feel grounded on earth. I don't completely understand mistakes lead me to this point in my life and it scars me that maybe I will never move past the bottom.

-Why do I think love and friendship is difficult?
I don't think love and friendship is difficult as much as they are uncontrollable forces. Its is nice to be in love with someone and having others around that you can be yourself with and they actually appreciate you is nice. However, life is never so simple. Love and friendship get emotionally sticky over time and this guey is hard to move through. However keeping this completely beneficial or analytical will mean that the friendship/love will not last. This can be just as painful as dealing with the feelings in the first place.

--Why do I think I have our quirks?
This is like asking a zebra why he has spots. My quirks define me and make me the person I am. I would be lost with out my uniqueness. Or in other words I wouldn't recognize myself with my many quirks.

-Why do you think you have your shortcomings?
I see the world as a place full of untapped potential. However, I am very poor at unlocking this potential or communicating it to others.

First my communication skills are lacking because I speak in a abstract way that many people seem to be unable to grasp. I try to speak in ways that others will understand however this often comes across as demeaning/ insulting/ or arrogant. I don't believe that I know more than the next person however, I understand it in ways that most people over look. This doesn't make me better however it does make me different.

On one side being different is a badge of honor for me. It shows that I am looking out side the box and not inside the frame that most people live in. However, its also my greatest weakness. I have a very hard time relating to others even other people who claim to be like me.

Mostly because being an out of the box thinker is great but there is far more outside the box then inside it. Therefore even when I meet another out of the box thinker they are still often very different then myself.

My other major fault is that I care very little for any rules and structure. I fallow principles and value but these are my own and not created or manufacture to keep me inside the box. This leads to mistakes in my spelling and language due the the extreme nature of my beliefs. This is why English was always my worst subject in school. On the other hand my mind worked wonders in history and science were my questioning and insight helped me surpass most of the insight my peer gained.

So basically I believe I have gifts. Not exactly super powers and nothing that society honestly appreciates. However, I draw my identity form these gifts and my greatest fear is that I will never be able to use them to improve my personal standing in life. Like superpowers however, my gifts of analysis, insights, and creative thinking ofter leave directly to my weaknesses. Being unrelatable, over complicating my communication, being overly reserved with my emotions, and not falling the rules that soceity and even these forums believe are socially acceptable.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:04 AM
-->

For the sake of knowledge, and to avoid boredom. My imagination is more interesting than the real world, but I still want to know what the real world is.

An evolutionary trait. Those who ran from scary things lived to breed another day. We may find more things scary because of our vivid imaginations. We deal with this imagination our whole lives, so nobody else can tell when we're scared... because we're used to being scared.

Friendship is not difficult, empathy is difficult. Others care about things we do not care about, so we cannot empathize, so we cannot consider them friends. When we find people we can empathize with, we forge strong friendship.

Love is difficult because it's not rational.

-Why we think we have our quirks?

Everybody has quirks. Our quirks are different from common quirks.

Because we focus too much on our strengths.

Myself; Simple, thirsty for information, hungry for entertainment.
Difficulties; People who do not care about truth, reality, or reason.
Behavior; Predictable. I avoid the things I dislike, and I seek the things I like.

Cause; I'm a living being.

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
-->
I believe I completely agree with what SpaceYeti said. It can be said that most of us seek understanding and to be understood. Also, we want to do things that are entertaining to us and make sense to us. I do wish to know what SpaceYeti means by focusing on our strengths to much as I am only somewhat a masterful person.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->

Some behaviors give pleasure, or least aren't taxing such as reading or playing on the computer. Others are, such as socializing in groups.

I suspect most fear stems from fear of loss of control.

Friendship is difficult because either what most people want is not what I want from friendship. They just want fuzzy comfort. I want challenge and insight.

Love is similar, too many differences with most people.

Because our characteristics are unique.

same

Take introversion as an example. There is good reason to believe that introversion relates how much stimulation a person can handle. I can't do roller coaster rides or loud movies. For whatever reason my brain is wired up such that I have a low threshold for stimulation. So therefore I don't form friendships with highly extroverted people. I can be around them for short periods of time however.

And so on, I'm not much attuned to the immediate physical world, which leads to other things, likewise I'm not attuned much to Feelings and emotions, so much so that I can be quite affected by them when they sneak up on me.

I'm not sure what you are driving at.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I believe I completely agree with what SpaceYeti said. It can be said that most of us seek understanding and to be understood. Also, we want to do things that are entertaining to us and make sense to us. I do wish to know what SpaceYeti means by focusing on our strengths to much as I am only somewhat a masterful person.
We do what we like and which is not difficult, and they become easier yet. We tend not to do things which we dislike and which are difficult. The difficult things remain difficult because we do not practice them, thus we call them our weaknesses... as they are. They started out our weaknesses, and we kept it that way.

I don't blame us. It's better to get better at what you're good at than to get better at what you're bad at. A small, smart child has his head, and he uses it, and he gets better with it. A large boy uses his size and strength, and he gets better at it. A good looking, pleasant boy gets more and more charming. The smart boy might make a good fighter, the large boy might make a good socialite, and the charming boy could make a good thinker, but they'll never be as good at those things as they could have gotten with their talent, because it simply doesn't come as naturally.

There's nothing wrong with having weaknesses. Everyone has them. There's even virtue in trying to reduce them inasfar as possible, but what you're good at is easier for you to use. There's nothing wrong with refining what's already your strength at the expense of your weakness, because your strength is already more useful to you anyhow.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 9:34 PM
-->
Good thread idea.

Depression mostly. Real things don't appeal, and society's values are largely arbitrary. I'd prefer to get lost with the faeries.

-why we think we have our fears

This question could be more specific. I have my fears through conditioning.

If I can't help but see the shortcomings of the people around me, why would I want to be around them. Even those few whom I deem worthy, why would they want to be around someone who treats them as if they're not perfect?

-Why we think we have our quirks?

Because I'm not entirely integrated with mainstream society. While I'm highly chameleonic, I cannot mimic their values and motives.

As above, depression is a massive impact.

It's interesting to me how much this exercise highlights the perspective that MBTI has lent me. Before coming here I would have attributed all of my differences to depression, but now the possession of a rational temperament is high in explanatory power.

Void

oblivious
Local time
Today 1:04 PM
-->

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
BAP wo MBTI

The etiology of my personality? This is difficult to describe whole. Where to start?

Other people's interests didn't interest me. What they did seemed dull and arbitrary. Furthermore they lied about the truth. I was frightened in an uncertain and unfriendly world. So I wanted certainty. Numbers seemed certain. So I liked them. What you could do with them was reliable and true. Here was a place to be confident in a world of fear and unshared self-interest.

Family: my mom cared about me but I didn't share her interests. My dad was distant and offered no explanations. My sister was a pain.

No one explained anything to me as I saw arbitrariness and lies everywhere. I wanted explanations so I could deal with an uncertain life. People were unreliable. Psychology had answers. Philosophy had answers. Even philosophers would disagree so I had to think for myself how to reconcile the impossible and ridiculous differences. I was fascinated by the answers. Everything was a problem and there were clues on how to deal with these problems.

My emotions and others' emotions were a problem. They refused to stay put. I didn't like them and strove to use reason to get away from their uncontrollable uncertainty. I became good at finding some answers and this gave me a persona I could place in the world.

This can be illustrated today. Today economics and quantum theory are problems for me.*

I kept looking at what others had to say about economics. One person seemed to be saying one thing and another another thing. This means one of them must be lying. If economics is too complicated for me to understand in detail, I can still shoot for an intuition about what the truth is. Today I have that intuition. Not so with quantum theory. Experts are saying it is true but give no explanation I can understand. This leaves me feeling one of us is stupid and that one of us could very well be me. But no one is helping me out of this dilemma. That leaves me very upset. I can't trust others and have to rely only on a self (myself) who so far has failed in intuition.

There you have at least something. Have I successfully avoided MBTI?

*How much are they for YOU?:D

DelusiveNinja

Falsifier of Reality
Local time
-->
Nah, I know I'm talking to myself, instead of some imaginary character or inanimate object believed to be real. That's funny though never knew about that.

Top Bottom