• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How does someone survive middle-high school?

Child

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:34 AM
-->
Im probably one of the younger people on this website. I start high school in a year. How exactly am I supposed to survive another year with the idiots in my grade? I live in a city where I might get accepted into this really good highschool that might have kids like me, but if not, then how am I supposed to survive that?

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
-->
Im pretty fkn smart, so I will share secret.
I had 40% attendance.
if you miss over half the days, for 4 years, you save yourself 2 years.
Then if you are really next level genius, make sure you are late every single day. If you are a smart boi, keeping up with the workload will be ez.
this started as a joke, but the math adds up.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Yesterday 10:34 PM
-->
Back in the day when school seemed like the rest of your life... Now it seems like I just blinked and it was done.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
Maybe just think of it like prison. Hope that helps

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 6:34 AM
-->
What I did was to copy. And try yo do good.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
What I did was to copy. And try yo do good.

Yeah but then you have to sit next to smart people instead of fun people or you won't have good tests to copy from!

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 5:34 AM
-->
You just have to trudge through it I'm afraid. Get up, eat, go out the door. Do enough work that it doesn't become more stressful than it should be. Relax. Be authentic, don't judge other people too harshly either, many of them are struggling in one way or another with insecurities, even if they're absolute dickheads or superficial idiots.

moody

Local time
-->
Try not to let your peers influence you too much. I'm someone who was never bullied because I never had reactions if someone tried. (That, and my schools were decent at managing that).
If you aren't someone who thrives in the high school environment, my best advice is to look at school like a tool to get what you want. There was a few times I absolutely hated school, but I didn't let it affect my grades and conduct.

(I'm neither agreeing of disagreeing with @peoplesuck about attendance...some people really aren't good at keeping up work loads independent from the classroom. I don't know if you're one of those people, but if you are, don't miss school. Though, I don't want to be a hypocrite; I missed a lot of school my junior and senior years, but mainly because of health issues).

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
confidence
dress well,
dealing with friendenemies

dealing with bullies

thats pretty much it

anyway i was an outcast, due to not dressing well, which is 50%. I really didnt think it matter much in my school back then but people are shallow fucks. appearance matter alot in high school.

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
-->
It's all mental. Unless any oppressive regimes are bombing your country I wouldn't worry about much. Then again, I've always been taller than most of my peers. Closest I got to physical violence was when someone bullied one of my friends and made them cry. I was livid and there were a couple standoffs but no one threw the first fist.

I think the best strategy is believing that everyone is around as stupid as you are. People have power over you because others/you give them power. The only people with any real power in this environment are teachers and staff. If anyone ever physically engages you in a way you don't like, tell them, and if they don't stop go fucking ballistic and they will never do it again unless they're really fucked in the head. If you're unpopular and can't find a tribe (you always have a tribe) just keep your head down and wait it out. It might seem like forever but this too shall pass.

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
Today 1:34 AM
-->
imo, the thing I regret most about that period of my life was taking it seriously. I got the good grades and tried to please people, especially my parents. If I had realized it was all a joke and that it wouldn't amount to helping me in life later on, I would have gotten a GED or something and planned some options from that. Or if finishing high school, at least prioritized my time to something better.

What I'd tell my younger self, if I could. Take the prison time of school to learn real-world skills from various people. Learn how to do things so I wouldn't have to rely on other people so much. Learn business and investing, how to run a business, how to invest in real estate and even the stock market. And to not emotionally, mentally, or financially invest in politics, unless it's for my direct economic or political self-interest. There's too many distractions.

That would have helped me immensely.

Maou

Rising of the Dick hero
Local time
-->
Survival is such black and white thinking. Learn, and observe the human race it its most natural state, before its degraded by rules and regulations. Middle school is where human nature rears its ugliest head, especially for males. I personally used it to learn about nature, and how to survive in the wild.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 11:04 AM
-->
Im probably one of the younger people on this website. I start high school in a year. How exactly am I supposed to survive another year with the idiots in my grade? I live in a city where I might get accepted into this really good highschool that might have kids like me, but if not, then how am I supposed to survive that?
To be honest, just do not overanalyze your relationships with your peers especially when you feel that you are ahead of them. Dumb yourself down, let the numbness make you enjoy.

According to my research and experience, the best way to avoid too much antagonism in school is to do the following -
a) have a good rapport with the parents
b) have a bunch of loyal close friends
c) generally attempt to have good relations with the teachers. You may think this one leads to sycophancy, it does not. In many cases, the combined support of parents and teachers is very emancipating.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Get in touch with your monkey brain. Socialize, because after high school its not the same. If possible practice your charisma and rethorics, maybe even learn to tell jokes, lie, and manipulate people, because those skills come in handy in real life. I wasted my high school years basically.

ThousandTeethOfSun

Master of reading and walking at the same time.
Local time
Today 7:34 AM
-->
Understand math formula. The rest spaced repetition. Read all the textbooks It will help understanding how everything is connected.

Here is what I did.

Seem bored. If the teacher asks a question. See if someone else will answer. If not lazily raise your hand and do it. Make sure to sound bored.

If asked why you are so tired. Say that you got lost in a book or were researching something.
We research things naturally about useless topics. Go full in, ramble about the exciting new thing you found until stopped.
When a teacher allows you to make a presentation make them about topics you didn't have time or energy to argue for. Make them understandable and easily digestible by a smart primary schooler.
If you know and understand the topic ask if you could read otherwise listen.

ThousandTeethOfSun

Master of reading and walking at the same time.
Local time
Today 7:34 AM
-->
Be scheming it will make you smarter.
Help people, but do so in exchange for favors because people value things they pay for
sensors are great note takers I used to exchange homework for photos of notes. SJ are best at it.
You can ask different things from different people like being reminded about small assignments the day before and big assignments a week before.
Ask for a calendar of events for the upcoming week like birthdays, name days, school events, extra lectures you could attend, choir tryouts etc.
If you live in dormitories SP are awesome cooks, get an invitation for dinner once in a while.
Ask for help getting in shape if you feel machoistic.
Be creative about it.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:34 PM
-->
My biggest problem in high school was lack of self-awareness. It doesn't matter what you do in school as long as your aware. You will naturally know what to do if you are.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
if shit hits the fan, i suggest you drop out at the 10th grade or something, its a complete waste of time afterwards unless you want to earn a job qualification.

knowing how to survive in society is more important than a job qualification.

here its exam driven, you have to prove to the teacher how much you learn through tests, and earn the grades, but i think the prussian education system is same almost everywhere. the system only benefits the employers and the pisa score of your country.

àzar

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Hmm..

Be who you are.

Every person you meet has value. It’s up to you to discover what that is.

DingusLord

Jump thrice
Local time
-->
Do not seek outside validation.
But understand that you are defined how you perceive traits in others.

Study what you are interested in.

Look at a picture of earth from space for a while.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 6:34 AM
-->
I survived with not thinking of the others as idiots. They can be used.

àzar

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Avoid experimenting with illegal (or legal) substances, booze, or intimate encounters of any kind. Avoid people that are involved with any of those things. It’ll ruin you. Find something positive you’re interested in and pursue that. Socialize with people who have similar interests to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

àzar

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I was antisocial at that age. Counselors attributed it to my Aspergers or my parents divorce. From my perspective, I didn’t have anything in common with my peers, although there were a few teachers whom I looked up to. My refuge was music and games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
-->
Well-known military methods to handle torture probably helps. Waiting it out seems to be the only option, unless you can be home-schooled.

àzar

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Yes.. embrace the suck as the lower enlisted would say. Builds character.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
if i know what its like in the end , i probably would drop out 9th or 10 grade.
and take something like the GED

the end is a certificate for job qualification and employment.

school teaches alot of abstract theories, but the most important and praticial is usally language and mathematics.

the one thing serious deficit that school does not teach is how to deal with the many different kinds of people/personalities you meet in life and society, when to be friends with them or when to screw them over. Thats why we have so many failed relations, failed marriages, and lawsuits.

àzar

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Sarcasm aside, let me assure the author that perseverance is worth cultivating. Finish school little homie. No one can tell you how you should do it, because no one else is you. Life doesn’t start or end in grade school, and the challenges and responsibilities only grow in number and weight. You’ll get though it.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
1. Don't assume that people are idiots. Some might become your best friends. There's probably not going to be a better time for you to make friends. Adults are rarely sincere and too busy to spend as much time together.

2. There are three things that will get you enough respect from your classmates that will help prevent getting bullied: socializing and being friends with a few people, very good or top grades and not taking shit from others by being ready and willing to fight bullies. Do at least one consistently and you will have people that respect and like you.

3. Remember that school is just a brief fraction of your life. Think about how insignificant it is. Technically you just need good grades to get good university education and the rest of your focus should go into setting yourself up for success in life. So first defining what is success for you, finding cool skills, relationships and dreams to build. This will let you survive your life, not just the school.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
If i were you , I would pay attention more to financial markets , news and trends at an early age, like ninth or tenth grade. That kind of stuff is more important than abstract crap subjects you pick up at school. I already deeply regret i didnt buy any google stock at middle school.

Given that, you have to be good at basic math to know finance and accounting.

the most important subject is still language and mathematics, if you ask what to focus on.

Top Bottom