• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

House of Cards

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:50 PM
-->
Ze Netflix Original starring Kevin Spacey

So, who type are all the main characters?

Disclaimer: I haven't truly put that much thought into it, just mused about it.
and have seen both seasons.

Won't be surprised if my first guesstimates are wrong:

Frank Underwood: entp

Why?

After reading this ->
http://personalityjunkie.com/03/extraverted-feeling-fe/2/

Extraverted Feeling is sometimes described as more “superficial” than Introverted Feeling (Fi). This is partly because, as an extraverted function, Fe tends to work broadly and extensively rather than deeply and intensively. This ostensible superficiality is most clearly exemplified in TP types, most of whom are males. In some regards, TPs are your stereotypical politicians, appearing sincere and affable on the outside (Fe), while concealing their inner T-based agenda (Ti). The same might be said of certain TP salesmen or businessmen. Such individuals may use their Fe in duplicitous or superficial ways to advance their agendas. Higher rates of male infidelity may also relate to the relatively weak or superficial nature of their Feeling function.

While FJs are certainly not immune to infidelity or Machiavellianism, it would be a mistake to consider their Feeling function somehow inferior or less developed than Fi. In contrast to TPs, FJ types show strong differentiation of their Fe due to its higher position in the functional stack. By “differentiated” I mean their capacity to discern various feeling tones, tastes, and values is well developed. FJs are constantly refining their Feeling evaluations of things like art, music, morality, and human emotions. Because their Fe is extraverted, this process of differentiation occurs largely through surveying the world around them. In this respect, they differ from FPs, who focus primarily on their own feelings and subjective responses (i.e., Introverted Feeling) rather than those of others.

Claire, his wife, EFJ?

Idk, her Fe manipulation of literally everyone

I don't see either of them as introverts at all

Haven't bothered to look at anyone else, except Zoe definitely being a ISF, and the hacker dood as INTP lol, Meechum an SJ, the president (...as far as season one goes,) an introvert...

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 12:50 AM
-->
I think it would be far more of a game for Frank if he were ENTP (they tend to bring a light-hearted ethereal abstraction to their manipulations), but that is not the case here. Frank is operating out of revenge, malice, and power as his main focus, not just to toy with people and see what he can get away with. He's looking for tangible results. he's very very focused on the tangible specifics of his actions.

Claire definitely has decent use of Fe manipulation. Frank's a little more on-the-nose and more transparent than her, but she actually keeps you guessing as to her authenticity because she's SO good -- with her, every so often the little evil Claire-in-the-Box pops out and you realize that she's just as nasty as Francis but plays more of a long con with it to keep her options open longer. But why would you call her an extrovert? She seems to operate from an autonomous core regardless of who is around and usually internalizes everything except when she needs to act outwardly.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I think it would be far more of a game for Frank if he were ENTP (they tend to bring a light-hearted ethereal abstraction to their manipulations), but that is not the case here.

I see it the opposite i.e., the whole damn thing is a game. Do you see how he turns to the camera (dat 4th wall) and speaks to us and how playful/serious it is? The whole thing is a chessboard, he's always laughing/serious inside. If you read the 'spoiler/link' I shared, it reeks of Ti>Fe, about how he's all nice and "charming" and "manipulating" on the outside, but when he turns to us/alone he shows his Ti plans, and all the seriousness of it.

Frank is operating out of revenge, malice, and power as his main focus, not just to toy with people and see what he can get away with. He's looking for tangible results. he's very very focused on the tangible specifics of his actions.
That is too the end goal of the ENTP, it is fun along the way, but inwardly, its serious. The outer jester (Ne) The inner serious (SJ, Si, lol)

Claire definitely has decent use of Fe manipulation. Frank's a little more on-the-nose and more transparent than her, but she actually keeps you guessing as to her authenticity because she's SO good -- with her, every so often the little evil Claire-in-the-Box pops out and you realize that she's just as nasty as Francis but plays more of a long con with it to keep her options open longer. But why would you call her an extrovert? She seems to operate from an autonomous core regardless of who is around and usually internalizes everything except when she needs to act outwardly.

This too, the Fe-Ti thing, she plays everyone via Fe, it seems like, then when alone she has her Ti. So, the most point I agree is that she could indeed be an introvert, but these are just my perceptions thus far.

I see all of your points, like I said I haven't really thought anything through xD, just appearances, but I agree.

so, what would be your guesses of their types?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I see it the opposite i.e., the whole damn thing is a game. Do you see how he turns to the camera (dat 4th wall) and speaks to us and how playful/serious it is? The whole thing is a chessboard, he's always laughing/serious inside. If you read the 'spoiler/link' I shared, it reeks of Ti>Fe, about how he's all nice and "charming" and "manipulating" on the outside, but when he turns to us/alone he shows his Ti plans, and all the seriousness of it.

That is too the end goal of the ENTP, it is fun along the way, but inwardly, its serious. The outer jester (Ne) The inner serious (SJ, Si, lol)

In storytelling, not everything is about character -- there are conveniences used as part of the narration process. I don't see that as his personality, I see that as a storytelling device used so that we know when Francis is actually being honest. Otherwise he's an extremely unreliable story narrator. Consider it the mechanical overhead.

I think we can both consider that Francis has an internal voice with some kind of sardonic wit, etc. But ultimately what is driving him is that his pride was wounded by being dumped for Secretary of State in Episode 1, Season 1, out of political contrivance, and if he is in charge (rather than working for higher ups) he will no longer be at their mercy and can lay down the rules for everyone else. I don't think the "game" is the priority, it's just his own personal flair; revenge and security through power is his motivation. he doesn't play the game for its own sake, he has goals in mind.

This too, the Fe-Ti thing, she plays everyone via Fe, it seems like, then when alone she has her Ti. So, the most point I agree is that she could indeed be an introvert, but these are just my perceptions thus far.

I see all of your points, like I said I haven't really thought anything through xD, just appearances, but I agree.

so, what would be your guesses of their types?

I don't have guesses, nor do I really care about definitively typing story characters or even celebrities. That's not what MBTI is about for me, it's a tool to help people have insight into themselves. These discussions are never conclusive, because everyone brings their own subjective opinions to the table without any authority that actually provides the "right answer"; you might as well dicker about which religion is true.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
nor do I really care about definitively typing story characters or even celebrities. That's not what MBTI is about for me, it's a tool to help people have insight into themselves. These discussions are never conclusive

you might as well dicker about which religion is true.

Yes, yes, yes, can't exclusively type fictional characters, doesn't really matter etc, we get it.

but it's fun.

speculation is fun

You know I'm not one to care about the confines of anything whatsoever, I don't care if they don't fit squarely into a type, or even close, or whose authority, just teh speculation

never conclusive

lol who do u think u r tlking 2

Anyway, besides it never being conclusive, it is effective in seeing how we, as forumites, differ in our perceptions and judgements of other people (fictional or not), and to see what we dis/agree on is interesting in itself

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
Sten in Dragon Age is an ISTJ there's no doubt about that. 100% conclusive.

Turniphead

Death is coming
Local time
Yesterday 11:50 PM
-->
These discussions are never conclusive, because everyone brings their own subjective opinions to the table without any authority that actually provides the "right answer"; you might as well dicker about which religion is true.

Here is another dicker:

Francis: ENFJ
Claire: INTJ

Affinity

Local time
-->
I feel Frank is more ENTJ.

Doug Stamper = ISTJ. Thoughts?

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I feel Frank is more ENTJ.

ehhhhhh. I don't see it. He gets things done, yes, but not in a very Te manner.

Would you elaborate?

Doug Stamper = ISTJ. Thoughts?
I could see that. All the SJ huge loyalty. The messed up inf Ne willing to do just about anything to justify the Si loyalty. He's efficient and does what he's told.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Yes, yes, yes, can't exclusively type fictional characters, doesn't really matter etc, we get it.

but it's fun.

speculation is fun

You know I'm not one to care about the confines of anything whatsoever, I don't care if they don't fit squarely into a type, or even close, or whose authority, just teh speculation[/FONT]

Oh yeah. I forgot how ENTP's work.

Here I was actually discussing this in light of "most correct answer." My bad.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 6:50 PM
-->
I don't like Doug. :(
He's too creepy and direct with people. I had thought ISTJ as well.

Francis is interesting, he's calculating, but calm and collected (for the most part). He double-crosses people, while pretending to be their friend, which I don't like; but it's nice to see a character that's adaptable to changes, yet understands and uses the psychology of the people he's dealing with.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Of course Season 3 has come out (Feb 2015) since the bulk of this conversation... heh.

I don't like Doug. :(
He's too creepy and direct with people. I had thought ISTJ as well.

Season 3:
Spoilered mainly because most people thought he was dead at end of Season 2.

Yeah, Doug's got major issues. He actually got more nuanced in season 3 and it was possible he might have actually healed a bit / broken away from his compulsive and amoral behaviors, but... alas. The season finale was kind of an eye-opener of where he stands.

Francis is interesting, he's calculating, but calm and collected (for the most part). He double-crosses people, while pretending to be their friend, which I don't like; but it's nice to see a character that's adaptable to changes, yet understands and uses the psychology of the people he's dealing with.

Yeah, he's interesting that way. Both he and Claire are. Although Season 3 takes it to a new level, and they both start exuding some new behaviors as well. Francis also seems veering towards a meltdown, he's started to abandon his "strategery" and become direct and aggressive/abusive.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
Oh cool. I actually haven't seen season 3 yet; it's fun to see that the characters are always changing with each season. I look forward to it then.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
Wow@season3_finale

Francis is nuts.

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->
house-of-cards_large.jpg

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
...Yes. :) Just one card to topple them all...

I like the ending to season 3. It really does show how you never really know someone until you've been with them for a long; sometimes it takes something drastic to get them to show their instinctive side, who they are at the core before their ego and superego have a chance to mask things. I'm really surprised; this is a pretty interesting show, as far as dramas go.

hepiaaro

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:50 PM
-->
Frank: ENTJ
Claire: ENFJ

With Frank, the way he reasons about things is very Te. He also uses a lot of metaphors to guide his decisions. This Te/Ni combo suggests to me that he is ENTJ.

With Claire, she uses Fe a lot! Fe is written all over her face and in her voice. She can be soothing and intimidating. I am not sure about her second function though.

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
Frank is ENT, an actor seems to be entp, so it's difficult to say whether Frank is P or J.
Both Ne and Te can make same effects in his position, like INTPs and INTJs are equally good at math.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
Doug's still creepy.

Show SPOILER
Getting with the wife of the guy he inadvertently killed for Frank's transplant is really really creepy.

Top Bottom