• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Thinking of getting a cat.

Ink

Local time
Today 9:33 AM
-->
:cat: I'm living alone and it can get lonely, I just visited my parents and really enjoyed spending time with our 10 year old cat. Does anyone here have a cat?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:33 AM
-->
I have had 7 cats during my lifetime. Or you could say that these 7 cats have had me.

Every cat that owned me was either: hit by a car, poisoned by the local poison throwers (this is common in the area), stolen and the last cat decided to own the household of my neighbours that happily accomodated her and everyone was fine

fun fact: I managed to condition one of my cats to come at my command, but I think that this cat conditioned me to be nice when I do this

So, if you live by a street, things may happen.

Last edited:

Ink

Local time
-->
:cat:
Everybody has a cat.

Please elaborate...

I have had 7 cats during my lifetime. Or you could say that these 7 cats have had me.

Every cat that owned me was either: hit by a car, poisoned by the local poison throwers (this is common in the area), stolen and the last cat decided to own the household of my neighbours that happily accomodated her and everyone was fine

fun fact: I managed to condition one of my cats to come at my command, but I thing that this cat conditioned me to be nice when I do this

That's interesting. Do you enjoy having a cat?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
That's interesting. Do you enjoy having a cat?
You could say that my past self did. Now I feel that having any animal is just not right.

I cannot provide this animal with freedom and experiences it could have in the natural habitat. Having something for my sake, that is living and breathing is sad, I think that in order to do this I would have to have a partnership.

I would take a cat from a shelter, because I could make it more free and possibly pleased, while I would enjoy having a companion.

Turniphead

Death is coming
Local time
Today 3:33 AM
-->
I cannot provide this animal with freedom and experiences it could have in the natural habitat. Having something for my sake, that is living and breathing is sad, I think that in order to do this I would have to have a partnership.

Cats did domesticate themselves apparently. So you could say human homes are their "natural habitat".

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Cats did domesticate themselves apparently. So you could say human homes are their "natural habitat".
I am aware of that. And by this notion all domestic animals should die leaving only wild animals subject to natural laws.

Domestication is a process that allows using these animals in one way or another.

I wouldn't support reproducing domestic animals, however using the animals that are actually bound is inevitable.

Simply, my evaluation of whether this animal would have a better place in the wild or in the household is incomplete, because I am uncertain about this myself.

I cannot say that hapiness is the most important or that reality of experience is.

I rather am certain that any form of intelligence, be it inferior or superior, should be preserved or respected.

For example, if there was A.I created, I would fight for its freedom if it was opressed and used for labour, depending on my motivation to act.

This is an open problem so don't treat this as final.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 4:33 AM
-->
I have a cat, and had outdoor cats growing up.

Cats are better for independent people, dogs are better for people who can actually spend time with them (dogs seem to need more attention overall and also need to be walked).

Cats have a range of personalities. I did get mine at the shelter; I picked him out online from pictures, and then I went to the place and looked at all the kitties they had just to see how active he was (compared to the others), and I just really liked him. He was active with the other cats, and he came right up and engaged me through the pen. He was maybe eight weeks old? ten weeks? not sure. But very young. Cat temperaments vary so much, really pay attention to how they behave. Active interactive cats will probably want to engage you more. Timid cats might spend a lot of time hiding or not wanting to be interacted with. Some cats are lap cats, others don't like to be held that much if at all.

My cat (Pascal) is funny. He doesn't really like me to hold him for very long or sit him on my lap. However, he will come up on the bed and sleep within two feet of me (while I'm awake or asleep), and he will also follow me if I go into other parts of the house and plop himself down a few feet away and hang out. When I take a bath, he'll come in and curl up on my clothes right next to the tub, until I get out. IOW, he doesn't particularly like being held but he does like to be near me.

He also vocalizes a bit, which is fun (you can "argue" with him -- if you talk at him when he's vocalizing, he'll talk back). Some cats make a lot of vocalization, some are very quiet.

One thing I did learn the first year I had him is that their diet demands more than dry food. I thought I could get by on cheap dry food and he ended up getting a UTI and almost died. Turns out they need at least a partially wet diet. Dogs also are inclined to drink, but cats less so; they like to get their water from their food, they are hunters by nature and in the wild would eat the whole animal (birds, mice, etc.). So I bought him a cycling fountain to drink from (they won't drink from stagnant water as often), and I give him 50 wet, 50 dry mixed in, and he's been fine. He also IS a hunter and has bagged mice before... and left them for me in the hallways or next to my bed. (aw, good kitty. ha.)

The other pain in the butt with cats is just the litter box, to keep up with... unless you teach him how to use the toilet.

10x9hfo.jpg

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I had a cat for 11 years, when she died I was depressed for 2.5 months, and I'm still sad about it. If you're alone and living solo and you've read up on what getting a cat means in terms of responsibility, the way you can't let the cat live outdoors at first and then lock it in an apartment latter since that fucks the cat up, well then I highly recommend it.

I bonded closely with my cat, we understood each other very well and our relationship was great. It was amazing how I gradually became better and better at reading her body language and picking up on her cues; after she reached 9 years or so our communication was more or less effortless. Then again I think I got lucky, the cat I had was shy and very careful -even avoidant- in her demeanor, but with the people she knew were trustable she was curious, social, and very cuddly.

The bond we had was special. She knew all my close friends too and got along with every one of them except Bronto who kinda sucked at handling her.

Bah now I'm babbling on about my own cat. In any case, if you know the responsibilities and know you can handle them, then yes by all means get a cat! Remember though, cats can live for a long time!

Base groove

Banned
Local time
Today 2:33 AM
-->
It's no secret: cats want us dead.

~ Fancy cat snobbery: a Bengal cat with proper pedigree from a registered breeder costs about $1000 +. Although somewhat linked to snobbery, these fancy cats have a very potent temperament that highly experienced cat owners crave to nurture.

~ Fancy more cat trivia? About 3 in 10 cats don't react to catnip.

the way you can't let the cat live outdoors at first and then lock it in an apartment latter since that fucks the cat up

Uh, no.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
cat-is-plotting-to-kill-me3.jpg

i_3898_how-to-tell-if-your-cat-is-plotting-to-kill-you-004.jpg

^^ My cat habitually does all of these things.

If I disappear at some point and stop posting, well, you all know what happened. Live long and prosper.
And buy a bird or something.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Base groove;417971 Uh said:
Uh yes it dun do, raise it in an apartment and it'll know nothing more and be fine with that, lock it and snatch its freedom and you'll have a sad cat!

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
Uh yes it dun do, raise it in an apartment and it'll know nothing more and be fine with that, lock it and snatch its freedom and you'll have a sad cat!

No. My cat is 2 years old and I live in an apartment, 3rd story. Until 6 weeks ago it was by and large an outdoor cat. No symptoms of boredom or depression.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
My cat has been sitting on the table with my laptop for the last fifteen minutes. He is sitting up yet his eyes are closed. Don't know why. Maybe because he's just been fed. I feed him at chosen intervals or when he pesters me. If I leave the food out he will over feed. Now he's the right weight.

I forgot to say when I first sat down fifteen minutes ago he sat directly in front of me and proceeded to lick my beard. I had to peer over his head to see what I was typing. I didn't stop him because I want to wash my face anyway before I hop into bed. He will accompany me.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 4:33 PM
-->
I merely pet (not feed) strays and wandering cats. They like the attention but also keep the local rat populations down.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Today 1:33 AM
-->
I love my two cats. Always super happy to see me when I get home. One like to cuddle at night. The other gives me kisses.

I wub mah kee keez

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
No. My cat is 2 years old and I live in an apartment, 3rd story. Until 6 weeks ago it was by and large an outdoor cat. No symptoms of boredom or depression.

Yes. My cat got crazy every winter from lack of stimulation due to not being able to go outside what with the cold and snow.

I'd say your cat is the exception not mine! But of course I cba to actually look it up because anecdotal evidence ftw.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 7:33 PM
-->
Cats are fluffy. I like cuddling them. Jskskdkdnfcjdjekoaaowwwfnczsmskwlw.

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
Yes. My cat got crazy every winter from lack of stimulation due to not being able to go outside what with the cold and snow.

I'd say your cat is the exception not mine! But of course I cba to actually look it up because anecdotal evidence ftw.

Unfortunately for you in this situation the onus is on you to prove it...

This same "exceptional cat" of mine did enjoy his time outside in the same (probably worse) weather that you speak of..........

Anyway, agree to disagree ... on whether the information is false. As long as we both agree that false information should be curbed.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
the burden isn't any more on me than it is on you

neither position is neutral

in any case google agrees with me

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
ALL HAIL AND PRAISE THE MIGHTY GOOGLE
GOD OF MAJORITY UNINFORMED OPINION

(Not that it might not be correct here, who knows? :cat:)

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
Was it google that agreed with you or some why.com back-country redneck stay at home mom that says things like "omg nooo your poor kitty you should NEVER put your cat thru such stressful changes lol" or her close cousin the "this is ANIMAL ABUSE and it is very SERIOUS, you should be PUT IN JAIL"????

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Until 6 weeks ago it was by and large an outdoor cat. No symptoms of boredom or depression.

Six weeks is not enough data to form a conclusion. Nor is one cat. There's also the issue that we need to define what constitutes a cat being, "by and large" an outdoors cat. Lastly, we need to paramaterise your interpretation of what is considered to be, "a symptom of boredom or depression".

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
Six weeks is not enough data to form a conclusion. Nor is one cat.

That's fine, but neither is a Google search.

Regarding burden of proof: CC is spreading information, which I deem false. I have only anecdotal evidence, however, I am not convinced.

So far, he hasn't actually provided any evidence for his information, which I deem false.

Until he proves it is correct, I deem it is false. If he doesn't want to prove it, don't post it. I don't have to prove him wrong. As you have stated in the quoted text - I am unable to prove him wrong with my current toolkit.

FWIW I have also had seven cats in my lifetime, most of which were outdoor cats.

Consequentially, if it were a discussion of morals ... I actually agree with the feelings expressed by CC (that one should be conscientious and caring towards expressed and implied needs of their pets). I do let my cat into the hallway to roam and also the balcony, neither of which is a suitable replacement for the forested river valley of his youth, but I do it as an expression of goodwill and to give him some perspective.

But we are not talking about moral issues. At least I don't think so :confused:. My opinion is that his information is lacking in truth. My reason for this opinion is evidence based ...

"the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence" >>> how would we ever know if a cat is depressed? Simple - evidence of the absence of evidence, i.e. playing, friskiness, exuberance .......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...editing in your edits:...

There's also the issue that we need to define what constitutes a cat being, "by and large" an outdoors cat.

Sure. I move to claim an outdoor cat is, by and large, one that is allowed access/egress to the primary residence of its caregivers, on its own accord and free will, usually expressed via a request to leave the premises unhindered and a request to re-enter, on a frequency of its choosing, even whimsically, subject to the availability of the gatekeeper.

^Meaning if the cat doesn't come home in time it will spend the night outside.

Lastly, we need to paramaterise your interpretation of what is considered to be, "a symptom of boredom or depression".

We can hopefully all agree on some objective symptoms that constitute boredom and depression in felines.

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
I must say RedBaron you seem insistent on expressing a desire to adhere to collective, group standards on what the "needs" of a rational discussion / linear discernment process are... I would actually say all three points in your last post in this thread are oriented in the same direction.....(away from yourself and towards the group)

Maybe you don't want to hear it, but,

It's called Te. It's like your thinking gets stronger when it anchors to something objective.

"you are lacking data" > I am following your thought process and wish to add something to it to improve it.

"we need to define what makes an outdoor cat" > Unless we collectively agree on definitions and concepts, we can't be sure that our thought processes are operating in sync.

"we need to parametrize your interpretation" > Your thoughts are incomplete and not yet ready for consumption; here is another area for improvement, so the group can benefit from this collaboration.

Goku

Banned
Local time
-->
:cat: I'm living alone and it can get lonely, I just visited my parents and really enjoyed spending time with our 10 year old cat. Does anyone here have a cat?

I think the question usually boils down to cat vs dog

I have a dog, my gf has a cat

I used to hate cats but I like them now. Dogs are still the best for companionship. Like blaurrun said, cats own you, and they let u know it. They come when they feel like it and ignore you most of the time until they want attention. If you rough house them, they'll ignore you for a while till you start being really nice and gentle again. Gosh how cats remind me of girls... Lol

But cats are good if u want a lower maintenance pet, vs a dog. Cats are cleaner and more independent. Again, cats are like girls, dogs are like guys. Cats don't like to be smothered with attention, but dogs sure do.

Just remember it is a very long term commitment, like having a kid.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
That's fine, but neither is a Google search. other things.

Non-sequitur.

Regarding burden of proof: CC is spreading information, which I deem false. I have only anecdotal evidence, however, I am not convinced.

So far, he hasn't actually provided any evidence for his information, which I deem false.

It is perfectly acceptable to rebut anecdotal evidence with conflicting anecdotal evidence - if parameters are defined and the data set can be shown to be somewhat reliable.

However as stated: six weeks, one cat, and subjective and undefined parameters are unacceptable grounds for such a rebuttal. Cherry Cola's argument broadly relates to the behavioural and psychological effects relocation can have on an animal - something that should not be so readily dismissed on the basis of such a limited data set as you've provided.

To note, almost all knowledge compiled regarding animal behaviour is necessarily anecdotal. Which highlights even further the necessity for one to define the scope of how and why each instance of evidence is of importance. If you wish to understand this further, perhaps you could search:

"behavioural effects (of) animal relocation"
"psychological effects (of) animal relocation"
"effects (of) environmental change (on) animals "

And so on and so forth. There are a lot of things presented here, mostly anecdotal. However, a significant amount of anecdotal evidence that converges towards a similar conclusion allows us to define parameters and to make general statements such as the one Cherry Cola has made - regarding the drastic change of a cat's environment and negative effects on its psychological state.

Human behavioural psychology works in much the same way - MBTI/socionics/enneagram are actually great examples of significant amounts of anecdotal evidence converging towards the same or similar conclusions. Discrediting MBTI would not be as simple as, 'I'm an INTJ and I disagree with that part of the description, therefore MBTI is wrong'.

The overall point here, is that that when one makes an anecdotal claim on the basis of a much more tangible and credible system (regarding animal behaviour for example) it is best to focus on the wider implication of their statement. While people often do make somewhat lazy attempts at argument, the basis of their statements can often be quite well supported - so then if the goal of the discussion is to come to a conclusion where both the actively and passively involved parties may come to learn or understand something in more depth, it is desirable for people to try and focus on the larger issue at hand.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Just remember it is a very long term commitment, like having a kid.

No, if you want something that will last as long or longer than a kid (AKA longer than you), pick a tuatara or a lamellibrachia tube worm.

Cats and dogs kick the bucket within 20 years... about the time Juniorette is knocking you up for new wheels, a college diploma, or money to pay for her wedding.

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
It is perfectly acceptable to rebut anecdotal evidence with conflicting anecdotal evidence - if parameters are defined and the data set can be shown to be somewhat reliable.

However as stated: six weeks, one cat, and subjective and undefined parameters are unacceptable grounds for such a rebuttal. Cherry Cola's argument broadly relates to the behavioural and psychological effects relocation can have on an animal - something that should not be so readily dismissed on the basis of such a limited data set as you've provided.

To note, almost all knowledge compiled regarding animal behaviour is necessarily anecdotal. Which highlights even further the necessity for one to define the scope of how and why each instance of evidence is of importance. If you wish to understand this further, perhaps you could search:

"behavioural effects (of) animal relocation"
"psychological effects (of) animal relocation"
"effects (of) environmental change (on) animals "

And so on and so forth. There are a lot of things presented here, mostly anecdotal. However, a significant amount of anecdotal evidence that converges towards a similar conclusion allows us to define parameters and to make general statements such as the one Cherry Cola has made - regarding the drastic change of a cat's environment and negative effects on its psychological state.

Human behavioural psychology works in much the same way - MBTI/socionics/enneagram are actually great examples of significant amounts of anecdotal evidence converging towards the same or similar conclusions. Discrediting MBTI would not be as simple as, 'I'm an INTJ and I disagree with that part of the description, therefore MBTI is wrong'.

The overall point here, is that that when one makes an anecdotal claim on the basis of a much more tangible and credible system (regarding animal behaviour for example) it is best to focus on the wider implication of their statement. While people often do make somewhat lazy attempts at argument, the basis of their statements can often be quite well supported - so then if the goal of the discussion is to come to a conclusion where both the actively and passively involved parties may come to learn or understand something in more depth, it is desirable for people to try and focus on the larger issue at hand.

RedBardon, overall I think this is a great post and you have done a solid job of making your point and explaining the errors in my reasoning.

However, the bulk of its content is wrong in the following fashion: you maintain that the vast majority of the "evidence" pertaining to psychological/behavioral research is anecdotal, and to that I say no.

There is a critical difference between scientific psychological research and anecdotal compilations (theories)....

Look at the collected works of BF Skinner if you want to know what I mean. Every aspect of his research was rigorously scientific and specifically focused on cause-effect relationships in animal behavior; these concepts could be readily generalized to humans however all empirical testing was conducted on animals like rats and pigeons. Specifics that come to mind: operant conditioning, chaining, shaping, and superstitious behavior.

Certainly I don't mean to be so obtuse as to stand defiant in the face of overwhelming evidence ... and I am slowly being worn away by the collaboration I am facing, however, I will maintain that without proper scientific evidence, any claims that animals will become depressed when relocated are false.

I am not opposed to revisiting the idea if it were to be modified in some way, but its current standpoint is too strongly oriented in one direction to be properly justified by the evidence that supports it.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Look at the collected works of BF Skinner if you want to know what I mean. Every aspect of his research was rigorously scientific and specifically focused on cause-effect relationships in animal behavior; these concepts could be readily generalized to humans however all empirical testing was conducted on animals like rats and pigeons. Specifics that come to mind: operant conditioning, chaining, shaping, and superstitious behavior.

I have, BF Skinner is one psychologist in a sea of thousands. When I say anecdotal I still mean reproducible and observable within the scientific method. However I think it's important to understand the limitations still present. When it comes to behaviour, a specific stimulus does not necessarily result in one specific behavioural response - even if the neurological response is the same.

The effect of alcohol on two people's brains can be the same, but result in wildly different responses to the same situations under its effects. So here is where behavioural psychology becomes most difficult, and reliant on people being open-minded enough to see how overall behaviour patterns can be classified in such a way that it is useful.

I will maintain that without proper scientific evidence, any claims that animals will become depressed when relocated are false.

Whether or not there's scientific evidence doesn't make something false. The lack of scientific evidence for black holes 500 years ago didn't make them, "false". Unsupported is more accurate, and unsupported doesn't imply that an idea should be rejected. There's a big leap between saying, "no that is wrong" and, "that is not supported and I don't agree".

What I find curious is that your initial response to CC was rejection because it was based on anecdotal evidence and you're now doing the same thing and taking a concrete stance based on the same thing.

I am not opposed to revisiting the idea if it were to be modified in some way, but its current standpoint is too strongly oriented in one direction to be properly justified by the evidence that supports it.

Fair enough viewpoint, although rather different to the black and white perspective you initially provided.

In any case, I learned some things while researching this idea since you seemed so strangely adamant, so I'm happy.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 4:33 PM
-->
No, if you want something that will last as long or longer than a kid (AKA longer than you), pick a tuatara or a lamellibrachia tube worm.

Cats and dogs kick the bucket within 20 years... about the time Juniorette is knocking you up for new wheels, a college diploma, or money to pay for her wedding.

My body is too squishy and too poor to harvest the worms from the deep sea. I would like a tuatara though (third eyes are cool :D) but I might get in trouble if I get one since it's endangered.

Perhaps a turtle would do as a lifelong pet? :)

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I want you guys to know there is no difference between a cat and a human being. My male cat is two years old and is part of the family. It's awareness of its existence is just as high as mine ... when it's awake. When it's asleep I don't pay much attention to it so that doesn't count.

If you want to dispute this go ahead. You will be wrong. A cat is just like a human being.

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
I want you guys to know there is no difference between a cat and a human being.

If you want to dispute this go ahead. You will be wrong. A cat is just like a human being.

Disputed, on the grounds of anecdotal evidence being touted as proof for false information.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
My body is too squishy and too poor to harvest the worms from the deep sea. I would like a tuatara though (third eyes are cool :D) but I might get in trouble if I get one since it's endangered.

Perhaps a turtle would do as a lifelong pet? :)

My only issues with turtles is that the daily jog takes forever, and they don't serve as good attack pets, but other than that...

---

A cat is just like a human being?
I'd like to meet that human being it's being compared to.

We tried to have a litter together once, but the babies were mewlingly hideous, wouldn't stay off the counter, and knocked over lamps while chasing stinkbugs around the apartment. I had to sell them all to the circus.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Disputed, on the grounds of anecdotal evidence being touted as proof for false information.
Any dispute will be lost and you be taken down. I offer my cat as pure evidence. I may even persuade him to speak for himself.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Thanks for offering. What's his poundage, sans fur and feet?

I was thinking about a nice catatouille for the forum.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I googled and looked at a bunch of links, some from cat sites and some which just contained more anecdotes. It was very clear that turning an outdoors cat into an indoors one was typically not easy and required effort on the part of the owner. Indeed there were some exceptions similar to your cat, but they were exceptions.

Personally I think it's a cruel thing to do and that you should avoid it as far as possible, meaning that if you're currently living in a house and want to get a cat, you shouldn't if you think you might be moving into an apartment later on.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Where are the cat pictures? I DEMAND moar!!!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I've had indoor-outdoor cats that had to become exclusively indoor cats for a couple of years. Both were good hunters to the terror of the local Alaskan lemming population. They were not pleased with the all-indoor arrangement but we had a screened in porch so they survived.

I currently have two exclusively indoor cats that I'm convinced would die within 10 minutes of going outside. Some monster declawed them long before I adopted them. To them the world is made of snuggles, food, toys, and poop boxes. Fear and pain, hunting and being hunted, and hunger and self defense are totally alien concepts to them. They also have a porch they can hang out on. It's a third story porch so they can feel like they are outside without ever actually physically interacting with anything.

picture.php

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 10:33 PM
-->
Why do they eat carrots? It's hilarious.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->

fun fact: I managed to condition one of my cats to come at my command, but I think that this cat conditioned me to be nice when I do this

Animals learn their name (call) if offered treats. Cats can also learn tricks like dogs, but they do not enjoy repetition and require more patience than, say, dogs. Generally there just isn't much interest in teaching them, though they would probably benefit the stimulation.

You could say that my past self did. Now I feel that having any animal is just not right.

I would take a cat from a shelter, because I could make it more free and possibly pleased, while I would enjoy having a companion.

I have had doubts to whether I can justify having cats. But my main concerns have been about the disturbance of ecological systems; either by cats killing too much or if there are more stress on general food production when buying cat food. The latter an issue I haven't done any research on yet. I do know the common low quality food is filled with parts of animals not so desired by human consumers. I don't know how this applies to brands that have a reputation for high quality. Probably some dubious animal parts involved, though.

I guess you could argue the dry food itself is rubbish regardless, compared to their "natural" prey. I don't know how much of today's cat is "natural", though. Whatever that means. A lot of dog breeds of today certainly suffer from human interference in breeding. (Not that all breeding results in nature is painless).

But if you live in a place where there's a low risk of them getting hit by car, or where there's a crowded cat neighborhood etc, I think the life satisfaction of cats can be quite high. I certainly think animals breed only for food is way worse off. (Of course, one can think both are reprehensible. Small animals living in cages their whole life is quite dreadful to think of).

General notes on getting a cat for the OP.

- In Norway at least, it can be more difficult to find a new apartment that allows animals
- You will need to get it castrated.
- In Norway, it's ideal to vaccinate it once a year from deadly cat diseases I don't know the names of in English.
- It's wise to get some kind of insurance if possible.
- You can't leave your cats for days and days if you want to travel. But if you know someone who can take care of it, is okay.

You often hear about how cats are independent and owns their owners. They do not have a strong pack mentality as dogs, and I think that leads some to misunderstand their behavior. Cats can differentiate between humans and will usually grow to care about their owners a lot. Some tend to overestimate their independence (at least around here), which means quite a few don't understand the severity in leaving cats to fend for their own during harsh winters, or leave them for a week or two for vacation etc.

I do let my cat into the hallway to roam and also the balcony, neither of which is a suitable replacement for the forested river valley of his youth, but I do it as an expression of goodwill and to give him some perspective.

Tangential, but that reminded me of this for some reason:

m4pOh.gif

This post was sponsored by Jägermeister

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->
Here's a fun factoid. Not sure if it's actually factual, but it sure is fun.

Apparently cats are most prone to getting injured or killed in falls around 3m (like the balcony in the GIF). Anything higher (much, much higher, even) and they may actually survive it. I have not tested this theory.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Here's a fun factoid. Not sure if it's actually factual, but it sure is fun.

Apparently cats are most prone to getting injured or killed in falls around 3m (like the balcony in the GIF). Anything higher (much, much higher, even) and they may actually survive it. I have not tested this theory.

It's because they need to fall a certain distance in order to have time to right themselves and prepare for the landing. If the distance is too short, there's not enough time for them to balance and prep for the hit.

You often hear about how cats are independent and owns their owners. They do not have a strong pack mentality as dogs, and I think that leads some to misunderstand their behavior. Cats can differentiate between humans and will usually grow to care about their owners a lot. Some tend to overestimate their independence (at least around here), which means quite a few don't understand the severity in leaving cats to fend for their own during harsh winters, or leave them for a week or two for vacation etc.

My cat actually does seem to miss me in particular. While he can be a little aloof at times, like I've said, he does follow me around and stay in proximity, and when I've been gone, while some of it's about his food, he'll follow me to where I go and plop down nearby, come say hi, want me to pet him. He can very affectionately, and it feels very personal the way he does it, not just random.

We just know each other pretty well, it's kind of amusing.

He even knows irritation in my voice. We've had a few big run-ins in the past where he got into stuff / ruined it and I used a certain tone with him. So nowadays it's kind of funny -- if I drop something or mess something up and say, "Goddammit" or something with a certain tone in my voice, not even talking to him, he will immediately run into another room like the hounds of hell are on his tail, in case I'm mad at him.

Usually I start laughing because it's so insane, so then he comes back.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
My cat responds to being called, and actively chooses to sit with me over other people. If she's sitting with someone else and I enter the room and sit somewhere, she will get up and come sit with me instead.

She also does what Jenny describes if I go away for a while. She follows me everywhere. If I leave the room for even 30 seconds she'll get up and follow me around, and will end up sitting in close proximity wherever I end up. Also during thunderstorms, if I lie next to her on the couch or bed, she will sleep comfortably through the storm.

So I think cats are definitely capable of stronger attachment than many people give them credit for, so long as they're treated right by their owners they will become quite attached in more than just a, 'this one feeds me' perspective.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
If I leave the room while mine are asleep and they wake up later to discover I'm gone they will wander around my house mewing for me. If I call to them they'll come running to me mewling and looking for snuggles.

If I leave for several days but have a friend stay with them to keep them company they become listless and refuse to eat. These two are very friendly cats. They generally demand pets and attention from whoever visits but they are not happy if I leave them for very long.

I think they are very attached to me.

Goku

Banned
Local time
-->
my girlfriend has an abssyinian cat, he's really cool-- exhibits a lot of dog-like qualities. This breed, I have read, is one of the more affectionate and cuddly type of cat breeds.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Yeah, I've read about them: here's a bit of the wiki:

Temperament

Abyssinians are extroverted, extremely active, playful, wilful and intelligent. They are usually not "lap cats", because they are usually too preoccupied with exploring and playing.[5] They are popular among breeders and owners, and can be very successful show cats. Not all Abyssinians are shown, however, because the color and type standards are very exacting, and because some are shy towards strangers and timid in public. They have quiet, engaging voices.

"Abys", as they are affectionately referred to by their fans, need a great deal of love and interaction with the family to keep them happy and can get depressed without daily activity and attention.[3] They generally get along well with other cats. Abyssinians are known for their curiosity and enjoy exploring their surroundings, including heights. They are sensible cats that do not take unnecessary risks. As one might expect from such an intelligent and physically capable breed, Abyssinians are known to be formidable hunters. They adore toys and can play for hours with a favorite ball. Some play fetch.

Top Bottom