• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

The N/S Divide and Following Through

letpassiondrive

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:31 AM
-->
I'm trying to put my finger on the reason why it's so difficult to mentally shift into the mode I need to be in to produce concrete work. I get it done, but I wonder why that transition is so--I want to say--painful. I feel like I live most of my life in a world of intuition--making frameworks opposed to filling them in, but then find it necessary to reign my thought life into a more immediate, sensing mode to produce work--essays, problem sets. And I think being forced to sense over intuit is the source of this uncomfortable feeling. Does anyone else see it like this? Any thoughts on how an N can see sensing as less demeaning/more comfortable?

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 11:31 AM
-->
I think what you're talking about is more due to the J/P divide than S/N. S and N are about how you take in information, J and P are best described as how you prefer to use information. J types are very well organised and very good at putting their mind to a task and producing results, but it is P types who have difficulty with being productive and at sticking with tasks to the end.

Aiss

int p;
Local time
Today 12:31 PM
-->
^ +1

(eloquent, I know)

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 4:31 AM
-->
I have had my struggles with being forced into sensing over intuition. I simply cannot steadily pay attention to things outside myself. At best, I drift in and out. I remember about two months ago I was asked to keep the score at a football game when my husband was sick. I knew the rules and when to stop and start the clock but I was incapable of paying attention to the field as much as required. Even when chiding myself to pay attention, I would lose attention. I had a similar problem teaching. I could not focus on what the kids were doing all the time like I should, and I would completely tune out the classroom because I was focused on helping one student. It causes me physical stress when trying stay out of my own little world and focus on the real one for any length of time.

I wish I could give advise on how to fix it or get out of your own head long enough to focus on other things, but I don't have any. Maybe you could find a new job?

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
Today 4:31 AM
-->
Well said yellow XD

Usually for me it follows this line of thought: "Ok, seriously, pay attention, it's important, stop letting your thoughts wander." - and just that line alone, is a doorway back into my own little world, and I start pondering the meanings behind the phrase, what it means to pay attention, how important the game really is in comparison to other world events, etc etc, and it continues to convolute until I'm fully absorbed in the warm security of my inquisitive mind. And then I hear people screaming and cheering, and have to attempt to withdraw and focus again, restarting that process, only following a new line of questions, or picking up where I left off before.

I think the only time it's ever really possible to stay outside of my world is by substituting my world for anothers - reading a fiction novel, watching an anime / tv show, or pretending to be someone else. Even so, I'm still internalized, though, it's just not necessarily 'my' world, always. Their imaginary world becomes real for me, and I begin to ponder it. This is also why I feel detached from everything, I suspect.

...I've got some interesting thoughts rolling around in my head now due to thinking about this more in depth... XD

Top Bottom