• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Relation between MBTI and DISC

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 6:49 AM
-->
Think there is any?

http://www.48days.com/25-personality-styles/

I used to test as, and still identify as, a Contemplator (CSD). But I took a free test today just to see if I was the same, and I ended up with DIC (Chancellor) which I don't really identify with.

I suspect most IN?Ps would identify as Contemplators.

Anktark

of the swarm
Local time
Tomorrow 1:49 AM
-->
Interesting, but not highly informative. Did not tell me anything knew and some personality descriptions are very similar to each other. The system seems a tad unfinished.
I scored as Practitioner, but Chancellor, Precisionist and Contemplator seem just as viable. Comments in red:

CSI – Practitioner

|firstname, as a Practitioner style, is people oriented if they are in the way of progress and is able to combine correctness with loyalty to his principles. Practitioners tend to be sensitive and have high standards (indeed- if it doesn't work, I don't like it). They like stability (as much as chaos really) and are goal oriented (err, no, unless it's something simple or is food). They need social recognition (haha, wow, nope) and personal attention (wrong again). |firstname is friendly, enthusiastic, informal (true), talkative (if it's interesting), and may worry too much about what other people think (I would classify myself under "Selfish bastard"). |firstname avoids aggression and instead seeks a harmonious environment (true). Practitioners tend to intellectualize on various subjects (true). |firstname is an excellent fact finder and will make sound decisions after gathering the facts and supportive data (if I am interested in the subject).
As a Practitioner, |firstname wants to be accepted as a member of the team (especially if the team consists of one person) and likes to know exactly what is expected before starting new projects (very true). Practitioners are conscientious people who persuade others through logic (yes) and emotion (not really). They may need to be careful not to be overly enthusiastic or too talkative (I do value silence); they may get sidetracked and not finish what they set out to do (happens). A Practitioner is very conscious of the quality of their work (of course-I did it) and expects that they will receive social approval for a “job well done”(it is if the other party is honest about it and are not doing it just to be nice). |firstname tends to be sensitive to the people around (so that they couldn't sneak up on me) and will do the best job possible to make the environment pleasing for others(err, to a point). |firstname has excellent communication skills (I seek eloquence) and can influence people by knowledge of facts and ability to analyze people and situations (yes).
|firstname is equipped with the ability to act as a dominant leader if the parameters of authority are clearly defined (true, but would rather not). Under such a scenario, |firstname can make sound decisions yet be in tune to others(yes). Practitioners will not initiate confrontation, but have the ability when confronted, to win their case using logic (isn't that the point?). They have exceedingly high standards (wouldn't say so) and may be their own worst enemy when it comes to evaluating work completed (has happened before).

Overall, too much emphasis on "high standards"- of course there is always room for improvement and I usually see where and how things could be made better. Doesn't mean I will insist on it happening.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 5:49 PM
-->
Don't know about this one. I thought my results were pretty damn spot on.

CDS, Lots of C, D and S are both about the same. D= 1,I= -4,S= 0, C= 5 core scores.

@Walfin, any ideas how to compare this to MBTI and Enneagram? Seems to fit for me given I am INTP, 3w4.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 6:49 PM
-->
Went through the list and while I identify with portions of a few different descriptions, this one probably comes the closest nowadays, with the caveats listed. It also aligns with my typical SC testing, with I coming in third (and accounts for the "people oriented/intuitive" aspects a bit).

SIC, SCI – Advocate

JW, as an Advocate style, is a steady, sociable individual who strives for positive relationships at work and at home [although I spend probably about 90% of my time away from work]. An Advocate can be very detail oriented when the situation requires it; but overall they tend toward individualism, independence and light attention to detail. [Very accurate] It can be difficult to change Advocates minds once they have made a decision. [I'm actually very open to new information -- just not to rehashed arguments or unrelated appeals. This can seem like "unwilling to change mind," but the reality is that to change my mind, you have to change the fact pool I'm operating from.]

They like people and tend to support the underdog. JW may take opposing sides of a disagreement [I take the side that seems inadequately explained sometimes] and feel frustrated if things do not go according to plan. An Advocate needs to be accepted as part of the team, and they want people to like them. Decisions are difficult for them to make unless their parameters of authority are clearly defined [incredibly true], and they may tend to "shoot from the hip" if forced to make a decision when they would prefer not to do so. JW would much rather have someone else make the decision, especially if they hold that individual in high esteem and respect. JW tends to be moderate, thorough and dependable. [a BIG yes to all that]

Advocates do not like conflict. Rather than create conflict in a group, they will tend to let others do what they want, even if they disagree with them. Advocates do not like to confront people unless necessary. JW can be inspiring, and may be sought out for their ability to motivate the team in tough times. Advocates have the ability to focus their attention on tasks that need to be completed, and to work them until they have been finished. They have respect for leaders [unless the leader is a flake or liar] and are quality and service minded. JW is people oriented, but can be detail and task oriented as well. [I'm about equal in both.] JW is motivated through joint collaboration and likes to work in groups. [I actually like to work alone, but I enjoy having resources and competent people to query; I also like to provide information and help those who need it.]

Advocates do not tend to be argumentative, but may hold grudges if situations are left unresolved. [I don't let a bad experience with someone dictate my future decisions about them or their ideas, but I don't forget it either. I also become very frustrated with unresolved/impasse issues.] This tends to happen due to their fear of confrontation. Advocates may have difficulty being direct about things if there is a fear that there will be devastating effects to a relationship. JW prefers to make decisions in a way that takes an individual’s feelings into account, but will not be likely to disregard the facts when doing so. [Yes, especially the last -- I'm very sensitive to feelings and do my best to accommodate them, but in the end the facts still win. I don't understand those who can ignore the facts just to keep someone else happy.] JW is usually seen as a humble and thoughtful person.

[Biggest issue nowadays is that I am quick to write someone off if I think they are being obtuse and refusing input. I seem to have less patience than I used to.]

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
CDS, CSD – Contemplator
As a Contemplator style, QuickTwist is detail oriented and has high standards. Contemplators are analytical and logical people. They are driven to do the best, and they think there is always room for improvement. Contemplators tend to be competitive and want to have the best quality job done. QuickTwist is sensitive to people, but the logical, task-oriented side can take over quite easily. QuickTwist loves being appreciated for the quality work produced. Contemplators are able to move tasks ahead and achieve their goals. QuickTwist is very centered on the task at hand, and is steady and dependable.Yes and no, I am not that dependable.
QuickTwist likes working in small, rather than large groups. A Contemplator is good at working through problem situations and will aggressively and carefully work with people to resolve conflicts. They take their time and don’t jump into situations where they open up to people. They may be careful and analytical in their relationships, thought processes, and work situations. Contemplators take time in making decisions and want facts and figures to study before coming to a decision. Accuracy is extremely important to them. Contemplators may take offense to criticism of their work because precision is their main objective.
Because of aggression, Contemplators are able to drive projects, however, they will not allow quality to be compromised. When they are involved in a situation, they want it done correctly. QuickTwist is sensitive to others and strives to do the best for them. Contemplators care about others, but may seem unemotional. Contemplators are centered on “the facts” and while they have good intentions, they may lose sight of what is best for people while focusing on protocol, facts and details.

clockwork

Local time
Tomorrow 12:49 AM
-->
Don't know much about DISC, but it might be something like this:

high D = Te (commands the bottom-line)
low D = Ti ( thinks before acting, e.g. logical reasoning)

high I = Ne (indiscrete, gregarious)
low I = Ni (discrete)

high S = Si (security)
low S = Se (dynamic freedom)

high C = Fe (law followers)
low C = Fi (law opposers)

i might be wrong, just speculating quickly.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I'm afraid it doesn't fit so neatly into the box. Not a correlation coefficient.

clockwork

Local time
-->
(D) Dominance: Approach to Problems High: New problems solved quickly, assertively, actively. Gets to the bottom-line quickly. Low: New problems solved in a controlled, organised way. Thinks before acting.
(I) Influencing: Approach to People High: Meets new people in an outgoing, talkative manner. Gregarious and emotional. Low: Meets new people in a quiet, controlled, reserved manner. Emotionally controlled.
(S) Steadiness: Approach to Work Pace High: Prefers a controlled, deliberate work environment. Values security of situation. Low: Prefers a flexible, dynamic, changeable environment. Values freedom of expression.
(C) Cautious: Approach to Procedures High: Likes things done 'the right way,' and says, "Rules are made to be followed." Low: Works independently of the procedures and says, "Rules are made to be bent or broken."

thats where i decoded it from

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Try reading the descriptions, then reread the attributes.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Don't know much about DISC, but it might be something like this:

high D = Te (commands the bottom-line)
low D = Ti ( thinks before acting, e.g. logical reasoning)

high I = Ne (indiscrete, gregarious)
low I = Ni (discrete)

high S = Si (security)
low S = Se (dynamic freedom)

high C = Fe (law followers)
low C = Fi (law opposers)

i might be wrong, just speculating quickly.

I think there's some correlation but it's not correct as you've stated it (for example, most Ti folks have some D in their read, statistically).

This is a case where the two have enough similiarities that you'd be tempted to overcorrelate the systems, but they don't refer to the same "spheres" of personality, as I mentioned before. DISC is all about social/workplace/task interaction and doesn't really care about a holistical personality/motivational assessment in the way that MBTI attempts.

clockwork

Local time
-->
I think there's some correlation but it's not correct as you've stated it (for example, most Ti folks have some D in their read, statistically).

This is a case where the two have enough similiarities that you'd be tempted to overcorrelate the systems, but they don't refer to the same "spheres" of personality, as I mentioned before. DISC is all about social/workplace/task interaction and doesn't really care about a holistical personality/motivational assessment in the way that MBTI attempts.

I'm new to DISC, but its probably jungian function based just like MBTI, just with rotated dimensions or something to avoid MBTI copyright/patent/trademark infringement (and install their own).

And tests are never accurate anyway.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I'm new to DISC, but its probably jungian function based just like MBTI, just with rotated dimensions or something to avoid MBTI copyright/patent/trademark infringement (and install their own).

Look at it a bit longer.

I mean, I'm not "new" in the same way -- I've been doing MBTI for twenty years, DISC and Big Five for probably ten, for example -- and my opinion is that you'll do better comparing DISC to the old "personality humour" theory (sanguine, choleric, melancholy, phlegmatic), although Keirsey tried to connect his MBTI-styled temperament theory to humours.

And tests are never accurate anyway.

Great. Let's shut down this site, I can spend my time on more productive things! woo hoo!

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
@clockwork, Not everything can be compared to everything effectively.

Top Bottom