• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Paradigm shifts in interpretation of music

EndogenousRebel

Even a mean person is trying their best, right?
Local time
Today 5:21 PM
-->
Y'all ever experienced this where a song you've listened to a lot, one of the lyrics just hits different than it has before.

This has happened even with songs I have labored over interpretations of.

I think it's a mark of good lyricism, but mostly it's the brain doing most of the work.

Rather, perhaps you had some sort of event in your life that changed your perspective in some way, and suddenly now you see a whole new meaning in a lyric youve heard thousands of times.

Idk, one of those things that I'm sure everyone experiences but doesn't talk about.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 4:21 PM
-->
The perceptual range of people can change.

If we have this emotion center that is allowed to expand we can develop keen awareness of the meaning of words and frequencies.

It begins with a self-containment, we hone in on ourselves and release the pressural build-up that blocks what was once just a numb white noise or blank state of mind.

In a sense, we have created new pathways that reflect back on themselves to connect disparate patterns once separated—tuning a blob of brain jello into a fine crystal.

Still, we must work on this attunement or fall back into numbness and discongruity.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Today 6:21 PM
-->
Not exactly, more like some songs just get better and better. This is one:

Some others that kind of hit me that way are Maria Muldaur Cool River and Grateful Dead Ripple and Midnight Moonlight.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 11:21 PM
-->
Yeah happens a lot with me.
There is songs I never really understood and listen to on repeat.
When I understood the lyrics, I kind of realize how off I was.

This song and album have a lot of amazing lyrics.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 11:21 PM
-->
Idk, one of those things that I'm sure everyone experiences but doesn't talk about.
This happened with a song I think I listened to before, but it hit hard only recently.
I mean how hard could it be to understand the lyrics.

Oh NIN and Buzz Kull.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Tomorrow 7:21 AM
-->
A lot of songs you hear in middle school or high school hits different once you become an adult. I think we're of different generations, but I always liked listening to a band called Blink 182 growing up. Had no idea of the lyrics, or the general theme of the songs in general. Once I was out of college I realized how deep those songs were and how they were musicians and lyricists, not a production.

One point where I felt really heartsick, I started to look for songs about unrequited love. It was much easier to understand the lyrics afterwords.

But the thing about musicians is that they went through those very emotions to pen those lyrics. Makes you have a lot more respect for those guys when you realize that.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
There is this song called "Tainted Love". I listened to it in 2004 when I was in foster care and I tried to explain to the foster mother I had what the word "tainted" meant. It means a small bit of contamination added to something, but she did not get it, she was kinda dumb. I would show her comics from the comic strip "The Far Side" and she never understood them. I guess she never understood the "meta" of such things.

UxA4X9B.png

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->

How We Process Music | Neuroscience for Musicians​

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Today 6:21 PM
-->
418563758_7591978430836756_4622963771171460430_n.jpg

We are now entering the Age of Aquarius, hence, all this AI stuff. This song was ahead of its time:

Top Bottom