• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

I've outgrown comedy...

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 4:59 AM
-->
Yeah, so along with my hate for advertisements that you see all the time on TV, I've discovered I generally have the same sort of disgust for comedy on TV. Nothing on TV is actually funny. It's kinda the stupidest form of comedy as far as I can see. And while I'm at it, I might as well share my disgust for talent shows. Those are some truly sappy happenings that borderline make me sick to my stomach. I cannot stomach watching these asinine judges acting like they are hot stuff and their shit don't stink. What's the really disgusting thing about these shows is how they never actually want to ruffle any feathers of the performers. I can't tell you the level of disdain I have for hearing the words, "I love you both and this is a really hard decision." I comes up in virtually every verdict by the judges ever. What's more, is that I have a theory that these TV shows like 'The Voice' tend to actually have a small audience, but that the production of the show makes it seem like it's this really large crowd and they are always cheering loudly for all these performers. It's fake af and I can't stand it. Getting back to comedy, I may have thought The Late Show with Conan O'Brien was funny when I was in middle school, but this type of comedy they have on these late night shows are legitimately the most generic and run of the mill comedy ever.

Anyways, all this to say that American TV generally sucks something fierce and I hope TV shows burn to the ground in my lifetime.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:59 AM
-->
I feel you man. It's all bland, predictable, and it seems it's gotten worse with the emergence of hyper-PC culture over the few years. I've enjoyed only one source of "comedy" the past few years, which is a group called Million Dollar Extreme. They had a show called "World Peace" but it got cancelled for not being PC enough. Lots of interesting hidden commentary on society etc in it (as comedy should be)

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:59 PM
-->
TV has gone the way of radio it's not quite absolutely dead but it isn't relevant anymore, I feel sorry for those news presenters and gameshow/talkshow hosts who worked their way up what used to be an extremely competitive industry to get their highly respected roles and now they're the caretakers of crap nobody really cares about.

I have a TV on my wall, it's no plugged in.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 2:59 AM
-->
TV has gone the way of radio it's not quite absolutely dead but it isn't relevant anymore, I feel sorry for those news presenters and gameshow/talkshow hosts who worked their way up what used to be an extremely competitive industry to get their highly respected roles and now they're the caretakers of crap nobody really cares about.

I have a TV on my wall, it's no plugged in.
The internet doesn’t make the prosumer an expert. If you don’t want to know what’s best for you you can rely on going off the grid and hunting your meat, instead of supporting factory farming. You might even just be wondering what money goes into the production of the industry and feel like they don’t deserve it. An anarchy based fueled revolution that won’t be televised is not only a lie but something that’s been foretold or predicted, perhaps just needing something to ignite it. I wouldn’t believe the hype. You just have to wonder whether bitterness is truly a legitimate cause. Take dolphins for instance, there used to be a lot of exciting science ripe for exploration there. However, we didn’t even know about any ramifications or implications of discovery. Now, there’ll be no continuation. What you’re saying is something that’s been going on a long time: with no space program like the dinosaurs we’ll be wiped out by a planetary impact. If everyone is depressed then no one cares enough to go on. It’s too expensive for the individual to fund his own venture privately. It’d take national cooperation, which won’t happen before a Cold War anytime soon. China doesn’t agree with our exports or economic strategy.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:59 PM
-->
I honestly can't tell if you're insane, high, stupid or just messing with me.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
some TV show is just there to kill brain cells.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Luckily, with the ability to download every film, series or documentary of the very highest quality and fun of all time, literally all of audio-visual culture at your fingertips within minutes, there is no need to sit through any of this stuff :p

Volstar

home is where your heart is
Local time
Today 11:59 AM
-->
at least american night shows bring good musicians to perform and they let them actually play their instruments
some interviews in them are kinda funny sometimes, sometimes they feel too forced
the same thing for national copies of their format
but tbh i barely watch any of that

i remember i uploaded a video of me playing a cover of a song i liked by green day back in late 2005 or early 2006, it was winter for sure because i was wearing an old thick sweater. thing is that i remember someone commented "you are a show off"
it wasn't my purpose to do smth particularly eccentric but someone thought it was, so yeah i guess comedy is 75% about shaming others and the rest about having a definition of being "natural".
haters gonna hate through space and time

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
thing is that i remember someone commented "you are a show off"
Isn't that the whole point of performing?

Are you really that clueless about what it's like to perform?

My problem is the "over acting" of everything. Nothing feels authentic - it all just feels fake as hell.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
You mean outgrown sit coms and laughter track comedy? Well, that's to be expected as those are mostly shit. There's like humor of every kind everywhere else, though, so just find something else?

I tend to become bored of the same type of humor after a while myself. Like, I enjoyed the first episodes of it's always sunny in philadelphia, but after like a season or so I got bored of it.

Volstar

Local time
-->
I prefer Netflix or movies anyway.

Honestly, I don't find these options much better.

Then what do u prefer? U have basically the whole world of entertainment at your disposal.
Netflix has

From outside it looked like a flash knockout. But I think you didn't mean it.
Cognizant yeah, in a way all artists are clowns. Or at least freaks. In a way.

Volstar

Local time
-->
Shit. I didn't mean to quote that entire thing.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I prefer Netflix or movies anyway.

Honestly, I don't find these options much better.

Then what do u prefer? U have basically the whole world of entertainment at your disposal.
Netflix has

From outside it looked like a flash knockout. But I think you didn't mean it.
Cognizant yeah, in a way all artists are clowns. Or at least freaks. In a way.

Entertainment is cheap; I'd rather use that time using my brain.

I was coming at it from the empathetic lens of the performer rather than trying to actually dog on Cog. Cog's a decent guy, but he's a bit robotic as most people on this forum are as this place is its own little echo chamber.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
Echo chamber? To me it seems most forumers dislike each other

Which values do you think is commonly agreed upon on intpf?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Echo chamber? To me it seems most forumers dislike each other

Which values do you think is commonly agreed upon on intpf?

Disagreement.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
An echo chamber of disagreement? That's a more retarded answer than expected.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
An echo chamber of disagreement? That's a more retarded answer than expected.

Nnnope!

If you think people have a lot of different points of view in this place, you haven't hung out with enough extroverts.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
He said while being unable to name values people have on the forum

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

Volstar

Local time
-->
He said while being unable to name values people have on the forum

values? i'll bold those i think i have, some are linked to work stuff
  • Dependability
  • Reliability
  • Loyalty
  • Commitment
  • Open-mindedness
  • Consistency
  • Honesty
  • Efficiency
  • Innovation
  • Creativity
  • Good humor
  • Compassion
  • Spirit of adventure
  • Motivation
  • Positivity
  • Optimism
  • Passion
  • Respect
  • Fitness
  • Courage
  • Education
  • Perseverance
  • Patriotism
  • Service to others
  • Environmentalism

Volstar

Local time
-->
99% of Netflix is pure garbage

not really, i mean i maybe because u are a high minded mathematician
but for me there's stuff like black mirror, stranger things, hannibal, narcos, house of cards, lost, the haunting of the hill house, maniac, sex education, plus lots of entertaining movies, anime included.
lately it kinda got stuck tho.
is it hard to browse through the shit? maybe but ok man like in anything.
i mean if you wanna just elite stuff go to imdb and filter anything with a rating below 8.9 or smth

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
TV was never ment to be high quality cultural experience and everyone knows that. They did try to sell that on TV, but it didnt work. Nowdays TV is trying to hit a group of people.
Mostly no one watches TV much these days anyhow.
I mean to your point dont watch. I think there is probably any activity preferable to watching TV. More importantly its all recycled and creativity is at its lowest point currently in TV and cinema. Simply its all been said and done and people who grew up watching the visual medium forgot that they are consuming way too much of it anyway.
I think the sober way to consume TV experience is once a week for 2 hours tops. That way you will always see something new and not waste time.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 2:59 AM
-->
No one is really saying anything otherwise, just repeating the same arguments. They mostly just don’t want to pay an $80 cable bill.

Top Bottom