• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How to memorize a speech.

Sparrow

Banned
Local time
Today 12:28 PM
-->
I need some tips. I suck at memorizing XD. My speech sucks, so I have to find a way to enhance it and make it seem better than it really is. :slashnew:

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 11:28 AM
-->
The only way i was able to succeed at such was to see the speech as a theatrical performance involving a fictional character... i assumed an appropriate persona for the role and was as dramatic as possible given the text of the speech. I was able to pretend that the content was important to me and try to imply that it was as equally important to the audience. I found that getting the message internalized was more important that memorizing individual words - at least at the beginning.

I found that I could use my own gestures as cues for certain sentences and could prompt myself by a series of such nonverbal cues... Performing in front of a mirror was very good practice, if only to practice shutting down the self-criticism during the speech. It helped once i was able to forget about my inadequacies and quit being self-conscious during the speech...

I am sure there are some short articles containing useful tips about the process on the internet. I remember one that listed the 10 most common errors and 10 easiest ways to improve a presentation. (10 do's and 10 don'ts?)

sporeza

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:28 PM
-->
I try to memorize the order, not the specifics of what I want to say.

Introduction: What do I say to introduce my topic.

Topic: 3 things about (so if I do get stuck / forget I can say 'which point was I on')

Closing: What I want my audience to take away from my speech.

And most of all: Practice, Practice, Practice (and record yourself as you are speaking for timing).

WorkInProgress

I use metaphors to show how deep I am.
Local time
-->
I absolutely hate giving speeches. Mostly because I procrastinate so much that I don't have time to keep practicing one over and over.

Btw, anyone wanna give me a topic for my demonstration speech? I have to stand in front of the class for about five minutes and do something, while explaining it along the way. A ton of people have already done food and I can't play any instruments, so I have no idea.

Subotai

Local time
Today 6:28 PM
-->
I absolutely hate giving speeches. Mostly because I procrastinate so much that I don't have time to keep practicing one over and over.

Btw, anyone wanna give me a topic for my demonstration speech? I have to stand in front of the class for about five minutes and do something, while explaining it along the way. A ton of people have already done food and I can't play any instruments, so I have no idea.

Dude, do you live in Belgium?

Madoness

that shadow behind lost
Local time
Today 7:28 PM
-->
Uhmm..... just remember your main idea..... but study your speach.... even if something is forgotten, you can still build your main idea when you know the key points to build your speach around.
Devil is in the details, but when a whole picture is drawn, it is easier to work on rather than to have it all memorized.:rolleyes:

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 7:28 PM
-->
Any other related issues connected to the difficulty in memorizing?

Social anxiety, unorganized speech, pressure, alertness etc?

anemian

Local time
Today 11:28 AM
-->
I LOVE giving speeches. Everyone needs to shut up and listen to whatever you say for 5 to 15 mins. Also it's pretty easy to just ignore the stress, even if afterwards you might need a shower(yep, it's hilarious).

It's not memorizing the speech it's a matter of knowing how how your key points connect to each other. Key points pretty much explain themselves.

Jedi

Local time
-->

In high school i demonstrated how to hook up an xbox and play halo. Got a good grade too

Top Bottom