• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How do you react when somebody close to you dies?

Quaestor

Redshirt
Local time
Today 2:29 PM
-->
I tend to be quite devastated and tearful when people close to me die.

A notable exception was the time when my grandfather died. I was thirteen, and when I was first told about his death, my initial reaction was one of suspicion - as if the announcement was a joke of some sort. At the funeral, I felt somewhat numb and detached. I'd had no prior experience with someone in my family dying, so my grandfather's passing seemed like an abstraction.

When I was 29, my father died. It was a sudden death, and I was living in another city at the time it happened. When my mother told me that he had died, the reality of it all didn't sink in for at least fifteen minutes, but it didn't seem like someone was playing a joke on me. Once the news really sunk in, I felt a heavy weight settle on my shoulders, a feeling I'd never experienced before.

It was a cold, wet, and grey early December day when my father's funeral was held. When a lone piper started playing a lament at his graveside, well, the tears burst forth from me like water from a broken dam. My reaction was mostly due to intense sadness that just when there was a thawing in the relationship we'd had with each other, he was gone.

For several years thereafter I experienced a kind of low-level grief that coloured all of my waking hours. Then one day, the greyness just lifted.

When my paternal grandmother died several years after Dad passed on, I cried for a good chunk of the afternoon on the day of the funeral, but recovered pretty quickly. She was always good to me, so that, I think, was a factor in how I responded to her death.

When my other grandmother died, I felt quite detached. She wasn't close, and wasn't really a regular fixture in my life when I was growing up.

But the death that hit me the hardest was the death of my mother. For at least a week after getting the news, I wandered around, just going through the motioins, in a complete haze of shock. The grief was intense, unlike anything I'd ever experienced before - like my soul had been shattered into a million pieces.

I remember even actually feeling for a moment that I didn't want to go to her funeral, the grief was that severe. For months and months afterward, I felt terrible.

Even though she's been gone seven years now, I still get the odd day where I miss her terribly and my eyes will get a little misty. Although the grief overall has diminished dramatically.

For me, anyway, my response to death depends on how close I was to the deceased and the nature and quality of the relationship we had.

I don't think my reaction to death is terribly un-INTP-like. In his description of INTP's, Joe Butt says that emotion for INTP's is an all-or-nothing thing. I think he's right. 90 percent of the time we're living inside our heads, but when something happens to draw us out of that inner world, we're as capable of emoting as anyone else, perhaps more so, because such events are so exceptional for us.

Geminii

Consultant, inventor, project innovator
Local time
Tomorrow 2:29 AM
-->
I was... 13? 14? when my first grandparent died. Drank himself slowly to death over many, many decades. I remember quite well being completely unaffected and having a little conversation with myself as the graveside service got underway.

"Self, there are a couple of options here. You can feel your sadness just kind of bumming around way down there in your psyche. You can kick it up a couple of notches and let it make you cry. It'd be completely normal for this social situation, and maybe it'll help you express emotion more easily in future. Or, you can let it lie, and stand here dry-eyed. Again, not a social problem - most of the other people here look sad but they're not leaking. It really is a pure matter of choice, although it might affect your later life."

"Huh. Interesting choice. Of course, getting the boot into my nascent emotion would require actual work, and doing nothing is a lot simpler and less messy. Plus I don't really mind being the Spock guy - it'd be one less thing to distract me in my future life. In fact, just having that emotion hanging around is a mild irritation."

So click, I switched it off. Psychologically, the result was a sound like unplugging a bass speaker. THOOD.

Since then, I've had my other three grandparents, plus one step-grandparent and a great-aunt, plus one teenage friend of the family (about my age at the time) die, mainly of cancer or something related.

I've never felt anything.

MiasmaResonance

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:29 PM
-->
I watched my grandmother die almost a year ago, and I still have yet to cry or feel much at all, really. I don't really understand my responses to emotional distress. :phear:

ashitaria

Banned
Local time
Today 11:29 AM
-->
My attitude is pretty much the same as all of yours.

If anyone close to me died, I would be shocked and sad, but probably for just a few days. I'd have to move on.

I probably wouldn't even feel any emotions. Sometimes I wonder if I'm heartless.

shadowdrums4

wierd drummer kid
Local time
Today 2:29 PM
-->
I've had quite a few people die. I think I mentioned my ex and his siblings before but in case I didn't. They died a couple years ago.

Those were the hardest deaths for me. One after the other person after person died. Finishing out with my ex and a close friend. It was literally almost everyone I ever attached anything to, died. I have a really strong F in me so yeah I reacted hard. I got depressed. I even went through a suicidal moment (which led me to discover my clinical depression) the worst part was that I would get sad about it (and still do) and go "What the hell? It already happened, I already dealt with the emotions! Why do they keep coming back?" I still manage and everything.

That was people who were really close to me though.

When my grandpa died it was different. I didn't react at all. Grandma came out crying and whispered "He's gone" and I stopped for a second, let it register, then went back to eating my chips. Then Grandma made a big mistake. "Shadow, go get Nick and let him know"

You know how you say "Dinner's ready" to a sibling to bring them downstairs, that bored tone? That's how I said "Grandpa's dead" to Nick who said "That isn't funny" and I said "Huh? No he is, they want you downstairs. He died" and he screamed "Get out and stop saying that!"

I was close to grandpa but not that close. I found out later that Nick was shocked and taking it out on me. I never understood why people would say "They moved on" "They're gone" "They passed on" just say what you mean. "They died" is aparently too hard a sentence for most. Then I felt bad because I wasn't upset and other people were. I've never seen Nick cry before the funeral. I was bored there. I think that is how I'd be with most people besides those I was REALLY close too. I think I only have 3 people like that now though.

Top Bottom