• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Ghost in shell nerding it out

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 11:26 PM
-->
So anyway Ghost in the Shell is a major movie that influenced movies like Matrix as well as probably other segments of pop culture.
Ghost in Shell is like Matrix movie, a spin on philosophy of being, the abstract and tangible crust and core of being.
A machine cyborg with a soul inside, thus the ghost living inside a mechanical shell.
The idea of this cyber punk kind of anime is not that complicated, but a lot of tangents in the movie leave people lots of open ended question, inline with this is the movie Matrix that too is in essence really cool action movie, but beneath all that cool and glamor of action is tiny shard of truth a kind of fragment of reality we all experience with visceral and bodily sensation.
1695339944777.jpeg

In essence these movies deal with several questions and that is both the civilization we live in and our way of thinking and being in this civilization and how we contend with our humanity juxtaposed with technology and its many perks and quite harrowing pitfalls.
We sort of balance between winning and losing, a kind of trade off, between the troglodyte existence of past and modern day abstract and often times convoluted existence that brings up a lot of philosophical concepts to light.
As if all humanity on some level whether consciously or not is contending with this reality.

On the music note Ghost in Shell has a nice orchestral peace. Which I always for some reason find none other than aesthetic like.
Never figured out what they are singing, because honestly I never cared much for that. I have a suspicion it would make no difference to how I feel about the song, which is quite a profound sense of ave.
Here is the deal:
Nonetheless here comes the nerd part, these songs come from Slavic tribes, which I am member of, and of course you might be too, since this is fucking internet you know, anyway here is the same style of songs from my country, which this music was based on. These songs were sung, during harvest seasons by women in high pitch tone, so women that worked far apart and given the usual wind condition that made it near impossible to carry sound, had to resort to this sort of singing.
It is important to note, that singing was in the past pretty much human requirement, so people would sing all the fucking time, as most of activities were fucking hard and also fucking boring, so the best way to alleviate both the dread and boredom singing was a way to communicate some emotions.

What are the actual songs about? Well they are about anything, nature, but obviously women working in harvest season are going to sing about one thing on their fucking mind, which would be men marriage and stuff. LOL> DUH> any way enjoy the sample.
Note that they are called with literal translation "grass songs" as the work was on meadows and with grass or whatever outside work had been done on the fields.
1695341134434.gif

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:26 AM
-->
Robots in fiction are the Other, something other than a human that can think like a human and thus they are a very useful narrative tool for exploring the nature of humanity and what it means to be human.

Fully body cyborgs like those in Ghost in the Shell are humans who have become the other and are juxtaposed with the more human characters of the cast. Togusa was specifically chosen by Motoko Kusanagi to be part of the team because he's a family man with minimal augmentations.

The movie was essentially a power fantasy that talks about AI and humanity being superseded by cyborgs.

The manga has similar themes but there's more of a sense of doom and melancholy, that perhaps cyborgs aren't the future but rather people who have lost their humanity and become tools which are ultimately disposable.

The sentiments of the manga appear more in the second movie. I haven't seen the third and I don't intend to.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
So anyway Ghost in the Shell is a major movie that influenced movies like Matrix as well as probably other segments of pop culture.
Ghost in Shell is like Matrix movie, a spin on philosophy of being, the abstract and tangible crust and core of being.
A machine cyborg with a soul inside, thus the ghost living inside a mechanical shell.
The idea of this cyber punk kind of anime is not that complicated, but a lot of tangents in the movie leave people lots of open ended question, inline with this is the movie Matrix that too is in essence really cool action movie, but beneath all that cool and glamor of action is tiny shard of truth a kind of fragment of reality we all experience with visceral and bodily sensation.
View attachment 7224
In essence these movies deal with several questions and that is both the civilization we live in and our way of thinking and being in this civilization and how we contend with our humanity juxtaposed with technology and its many perks and quite harrowing pitfalls.
We sort of balance between winning and losing, a kind of trade off, between the troglodyte existence of past and modern day abstract and often times convoluted existence that brings up a lot of philosophical concepts to light.
As if all humanity on some level whether consciously or not is contending with this reality.
People have been inspired to ask questions because of films like Ghost in the Shell and The Matrix. But consider where we are now.

1) There are lots of men and women who live in a small box of a flat, and who have very little social interaction apart from via electronic device that feed them info from a huge virtual interaction space called "The Internet". Those people are effectively living inside a Matrix. Many people today grew up knowing little other than the knowledge they learned from the Internet, who are mostly cocooned from reality. So it's almost as if The Matrix became real, and no-one noticed.

If all those people accepted "The Red Pill", then everyone would be saying they should spend as little time as possible in The Matrix (The Internet), and be in the real world as much as possible, even if it isn't that great, like Zion and the real world of The Matrix that is a wasteland.

2) Ghost in the Shell seems to be about human augmentation. What happens to people today, when people have forgotten their phone? Many of us treat our phones like they are a part of us that we cannot do without. So it's like GITS became real, only without the surgery.

So again, where's all the people questioning if this is a good thing?

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
The manga has similar themes but there's more of a sense of doom and melancholy, that perhaps cyborgs aren't the future but rather people who have lost their humanity and become tools which are ultimately disposable.
Yes. There is some inherent boundary to what it means to be human.
We have certain qualities. We evolve and evolve our thinking, but in many ways we have pretty hard set limitations that include the fragility and vulnerability of being human.
What gets me though, we kind of take certain things for granted, that of being humans. Many assumptions about our humanity are kind of societal program we inherit from our ancestors. What of our humanity is truly though what makes us humans. What makes us, us, what makes us be the way we are and so on.

1) There are lots of men and women who live in a small box of a flat, and who have very little social interaction apart from via electronic device that feed them info from a huge virtual interaction space called "The Internet". Those people are effectively living inside a Matrix. Many people today grew up knowing little other than the knowledge they learned from the Internet, who are mostly cocooned from reality. So it's almost as if The Matrix became real, and no-one noticed.
Seems like Neo represents that detached human who sits by the computer.
We tend to play out our schema behavior on and on in some sense.

If all those people accepted "The Red Pill", then everyone would be saying they should spend as little time as possible in The Matrix (The Internet), and be in the real world as much as possible, even if it isn't that great, like Zion and the real world of The Matrix that is a wasteland.
I get this. What I wonder is how does the movie answer this.
I think part of the story is opening up the question as I actually don't think there is a good answer. Why do people end up on internet instead of elsewhere.

2) Ghost in the Shell seems to be about human augmentation. What happens to people today, when people have forgotten their phone? Many of us treat our phones like they are a part of us that we cannot do without. So it's like GITS became real, only without the surgery.

So again, where's all the people questioning if this is a good thing?
Honestly most people I talked to when working had a phone in their hand.
I don't understand phone addiction to be honest, as most of what I have on my phone is trivial. I understand that people get dopamine hits from phones. Most I used phone as anxiety tool, when I did not want to be distracted by my anxiety at the bus stop or bus, but the phone served as a way of diverting my focus from my anxiety. Over time I stopped using my phone and I can say its not missing.

EndogenousRebel

Even a mean person is trying their best, right?
Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->

Not too familiar with the franchise myself, but that video was pretty brain bending when I saw it a while ago.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->

These are Bulgarian grass songs or meadow songs which are closer to Ghost in the Shell version as it was precisely based on Bulgarian version of meadow songs.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Another cyberpunk version is Altered Carbon which is also on Netflix, but I did not read the book.
The idea is in future the people are able to save the soul of human on a implanted disc that is almost indestructible.
This enables people to survive even when the body is dead.
Once that disc is implanted into another body, called a sleeve the person can live in new body.
The idea here is also the question of what it means to be mortal or immortal.
What it means to have humanity and soul etc.

Top Bottom