• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Connecting with INFPs as an INTP

Elorian

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:35 AM
-->
Despite the difference in F/T and the consequent differences in behavior and interests, my INFP friend and I seem to be on practically identical wavelengths. We think very similarly and can connect quite well. Do any of you have a similar experience with them? What traits would you say are most responsible for people's way of thinking in this regard?

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
Today 5:35 AM
-->
Ignoring the fact that people type people differently for different reasons and definitions, and ignoring that there are way many more factors that can make people come together or be driven apart, you both probably share a level of open-mindedness that makes any differences easy to accept or even appreciate on some level.

I think the N vs S divide is the biggest one because one side is willing to be generally open-minded and the other generally isn't. Most problems I've had with people stem from this. It's like S types can sometimes shut down communication, options, or different ways of thinking about things because they've already honed in on an answer/justification/reason or explanation and don't see any point to second-guessing or "overthinking" things, as they like to put it.

Elorian

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:35 AM
-->
At the risk of appearing biased, I quite like that perspective. Interaction between very different people is definitely something I support, and presenting a vincible obstacle as the barrier certainly gives hope. Open-mindedness is certainly something people can learn to acquire.

I see your point with the N/S trait, and that's about what my experience has been too (with a few exceptions, of course). Personally, though, I would think of close-mindedness more as a symptom of annoyance at Ns and their tendency towards the abstract than as an inherent part of the trait itself (you could make the positive distinction at decisiveness, partly why humans get anything important done). Even my family members have a hard time staying interested when we finally get to a topic that I really like.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 10:35 AM
-->
Despite the difference in F/T and the consequent differences in behavior and interests, my INFP friend and I seem to be on practically identical wavelengths. We think very similarly and can connect quite well. Do any of you have a similar experience with them? What traits would you say are most responsible for people's way of thinking in this regard?
Yes.
My NFP friends tend to say conclusions that are based on wibbly-wobbly logic. However, when I look into the same matter from a scientifically rational perspective, I tend to find that there's a rational reason which leads to the same conclusion as their conclusion.

Thus, I tend to conclude that they and I were headed for the same destination, but got there by different paths.

Top Bottom