• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Morality instantly fails in interpersonal relationships

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 11:28 PM
-->
If someone gives me a taste of my own medicine, am I moral for calling the other person out for doing the same crap? Does the other person have the privilege to take 'revenge' (knowingly cause harm as a result of receiving it) and if the other person is denied that revenge, is it moral for you to get away from it and face no consequences?

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Today 1:58 PM
-->
No. Use respect. No one benefits if we judge and ridicule each other.
And...

1699785784282.png

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:58 AM
-->
Two wrongs don't make a right.

That being said I have personal experience of being lied to and forced to choose between forgiving them or ending the relationship and the fact that they didn't face any consequences was the worst part. Not because I was spiteful but because I didn't want them to hurt me again, I wanted them to learn their lesson and actually change, not just say they've changed. Because I didn't want to leave them.

So I think if you hurt someone, and they hurt you in revenge, then you should forgive them or at very least not hurt them again, because if two wrongs don't make a right then three sure as hell don't either.

And if you hurt someone and you want them to forgive you, perform some kind of penance to show them you're serious, don't just expect them to forgive you, earn the right to be forgiven. Or are they not worth it?

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 6:58 PM
-->
I don't expect people to be like me.
I want people to be free to be themselves just like I want them to feel free to be themselves with me.
From this perspective, let me be and I will let you be, and if we be together we have a relationship.
In terms of morals if you harm someone or something and I see it as wrong I will tell you. If you don't respect that and you cross a red line then we part ways. Then I call the police, because crossing the red line probably means you broke the law in several countries and killed someone.
Generally I am laid back.

EndogenousRebel

mean person
Local time
Today 12:58 PM
-->
On a tangent we are always more permissible when someone close to us does "wrong" than when non-familiars do something wrong.

We have double standards all the time.

My opinion is that morality is akin to interpretation of laws (not the content of what laws are). Sometimes there is no right answer per say, but we can definitely still cast blame for a situation and deem something as immoral.

Usually in the end social consensus decides guilt and consequences. We socially excuse things based on whims sometimes, with prejudice.

Adding fuel to the fire just creates a mess that you get to gossip about for social credit or that no one wants to think deeply about.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 8:58 PM
-->
The question is what should be done not what is moral.
Its could be the case that what should be done is moral and it may not.
There is not one answer for that, the situation and the people involve change the answer. In the end its up to the person making the decision and the people reacting to that decision.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
More often than not the hurt received snaps people in different ways all of which points towards a need for redeeming oneself by daydreams of violence and then a genuine yearning to break someone's back in the same way yours was broken but with a better socially justifiable excuse. One right and one wrong is also wrong
So I think if you hurt someone, and they hurt you in revenge, then you should forgive them or at very least not hurt them again, because if two wrongs don't make a right then three sure as hell don't either.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
We have seemingly good but violent people like soldiers. The statement has a fucking oxymoron in it. There is no good in violence and absolutely everybody on this planet is naturally violent but bound only by circumstances. Gandhi would have been a wife-beater too (he probably was because he emotionally abused her a lot) if he would have grown up with a family of wife-beaters

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 6:58 PM
-->
Males fight, women gossip. Both are types of aggression.
Channeling aggression positively in life is easy, once you realize we all have aggression.
The only cure for males is admitting you are angry and aggressive and find some activity to channel into.
It can be art, boxing, any hobby, exercising.

Also everything I know about Ghandi he was one bigoted racist peace of shit.
I still cringe when people mention him as paragon of virtue.
Not that he was not important for politics.

LOGICZOMBIE

welcome to thought club
Local time
Today 12:58 PM
-->
If someone gives me a taste of my own medicine, am I moral for calling the other person out for doing the same crap? Does the other person have the privilege to take 'revenge' (knowingly cause harm as a result of receiving it) and if the other person is denied that revenge, is it moral for you to get away from it and face no consequences?

GET CREATIVE

Top Bottom