• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

HSP, is this an emotion?

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 5:44 AM
-->
First, lots of new ideas and concepts in psychology that exist today or were described, are relatively misunderstood or still being explored, so do take all of this as something not yet well understood and fairly liable to be mistaken for something it is not.

Second a link to wiki that explains the theory and stuff worth reading about... but theory and reality where they connect?

I am actually surprised that I discovered I am HSP, I used to study and read about it, but the idea I am it is hard to grasp.

One important fact is that we don't always feel or are aware of our emotions. We can numb out.
What is also hard is that you cannot really tell how other people feel.
Like a dog barking, can you really measure how strong the dog really feels? Is he angry or is he just barking out of habit?

So since there is no measure for depth and breath of feelings how can we really tell someone is HSP?
Well there is no real way objectively measure emotions other then inference.

We take people who experience emotions and we can ask them how it felt, maybe observe some distress or excitation etc.

But even in early childhood I would experience things differently, and by inference I knew that I feel something is off.
For instance people would not feel anything when I felt something strongly.
I could be super distraught and they would just shake it off.
This does not mean I was a fragile little fluff ball, but it is very intense in any negative or positive emotions.

You can experience anger, sadness, happiness and sensual stuff and injuries with greater intensity.
I am relatively new to emotions, but I always had great deal of empathy.
Empathy does not mean you care about stuff always or that you feeling empathy makes you care about others.

Empathy just means you pick up vibes and emotions more strongly.
Its like having a passive radar that can see smaller objects that are not visible to others or you pick up vibes from greater distance.

When it comes to empathy - it does not equal understanding. So needless to say having empathy does not prevent you from hurting other people or being asshole.

Empathy can be a burden too. You cannot or I cannot personally turn it off. The way I dealt with this I just numbed out my emotions completely repressing my emotional side.

Being HSP I could feel emotions with super intensity and feel them lasting.
I usually never thought about others feeling differently.
All my life I just took it as me being me.
But over time evidence, though I never knew what it means, accumulated that I tend to feel things way more.

More importantly, though how does this differ from normal people experiencing emotions in normal range?
Well I believe I cannot say for sure, but generally I think normal people experience emotions strongly, but perhaps most of the time they have more mellow emotional bandwidth.

It just means your emotional needle would be more steady on normal days, whereas HSP people would have emotions all over the place.

I also have trouble with lingering feelings, experience great deal of emotions in short span of time.
Recently had a break through in emotions and it might be the first time I felt something.
Let me tell you I was exhausted from the intense emotions.
It was like being in car crash where everything goes slow mo.
I was only eating fries.
I felt happy, I felt anxiety, I felt my teeth, I felt every chew I made, I felt like on a roller coaster ride.
My whole body was vibing in many ways.

I also cried watching a sun rise. Although exceptionally beautiful sun rise.

It was dawn, and I went hiking, I was walking up hill and saw the sky, hills covered in haze, and felt crisp and light cold air in my nose, the smell of dew and grass of a meadow, and looked upon a highlighted square cloud covering most of the visible horizon. The cloud was bluish grey, with stripes of white, illuminated by orange, red, violet color, mostly violet and red.
The sky was pale blue, and a breeze ran through my body. I watched for few minutes and the sun rise changed the colors.
Realistically words cannot really paint a good picture of what I felt.

That being said it is said some 10 percent of people are HSP.
I love art, chocolate, women(even looking is intense etc. )
The point is its a multi facet thing.

Objectively you wake up HSP everyday, so you cannot really tell you are HSP.
It just becomes more clear later in life, when you feel shit and people just don't seem to.

I am not sure where to go with this more, but for nerds Akira has touched on this subject and so did matrix.
In Akira HSP are called ESPERs which is sci fi version of HSP. In scifi they supposed to have telekinesis and mind reading abilites etc. Of course this is sci fi, but being INTP as kid I tried training my self in telekinsesis just to be sure. You never know right? LOL
1701817915210.jpeg

You feel fear intensely.
But being HSP sometimes you mask what you feel.
In my case my own mother would not know what I am thinking or feeling. Since feeling felt dangerous in my life I did what is called masking. Which just means you don't show emotions.

Also some notes.
Not all HSP people have high empathy.
You can be super sensitive, but not necessarily have high empathy.

When it comes to empathy its fairly hard thing to work with.
Empathy requires also understanding of feelings, and situations.
You can get overwhelmed by feelings of others and even so much you can identify them as your own, before you even realize they are there.
I think in psychoanalysis this is sometimes called countertransference.
So being around others can feel like invasion. Like their vibes don't know boundaries.

So being HSP and having extra high empathy can actually be burden in many situations, especailly if you don't learn to work with it.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 10:44 PM
-->
I was told I am an empath.

I know that I have good communication skills.

This could be because the body knows what is happening at a deeper level.

And we know how to react to situations in the correct ways.

I think it is important to listen, that way you can free your mind of built-up pressures.

I played many video games about listening to others to reach the next level of the game.

I have been ignoring certain aspects of myself because I have not been listened to.

These are deep-rooted pains.

So sometimes I resist certain stimuli because they create pain.

I've held it in and it never came out till now.

I am afraid of making mistakes.

It is not safe to make mistakes.

What would help is if I got to find people I could succeed in interacting with.

Today many things happened, I came into an awareness where I could be honest with people.

It really is about going with what the other person needs and where they are at in life. There were many people who helped me today as I also helped them.

8QI002G.jpg

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I’d identify with HSP as well. I guess the issue is that there aren’t diagnostics for it so it’s dependent on self diagnosis. Also some of the traits like hypersensitivity overlap with other conditions like ASD, so it’s possible that some people who self identify with this might be on the spectrum or confusing their symptoms with other neurodivergent conditions.

I’m likely somewhere on the autism spectrum to be honest. My Dad is ASD and I’ve had several friends on the spectrum over the years I was very similar to and who believed I was on the spectrum. I may go for diagnosis one day but I’ve been managing without that and prefer to not let myself become too identified with labels,

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
I was told I am an empath.
Are you friends with the person who told you that?

I personally find communication hard with some people, but I try to learn and vibe with all people as much as possible.
Some people who are on the same wavelength can be fun to talk to and easy.
Its like sometimes I need to translate what someone says, but other times I just understand people.
I mean this in real life mostly. On forums its easier.
But knowing people in real life, can be demanding to understand everyone.

And we know how to react to situations in the correct ways.
Almost too well. I can be argumentative, but in life I used to avoid conflicts, as conflicts seem at times almost pointless or too much trouble for what they are worth.
Its not however always convenient.

I am afraid of making mistakes.

It is not safe to make mistakes.
This is actually not small problem. It takes time for me to get comfortable to make mistakes, in weird irony the more I worry about mistakes the more I make them.

What would help is if I got to find people I could succeed in interacting with.
What would you call a success?

It really is about going with what the other person needs and where they are at in life. There were many people who helped me today as I also helped them.
Sounds good.

their symptoms with other neurodivergent conditions.
Yeah, there are no real clear cut categories, for anything.
Its a judgment call.
Lots of things in psychology overlap though.
Many superstitions about what is and is not correct in psychology.

I’m likely somewhere on the autism spectrum to be honest. My Dad is ASD and I’ve had several friends on the spectrum over the years I was very similar to and who believed I was on the spectrum. I may go for diagnosis one day but I’ve been managing without that and prefer to not let myself become too identified with labels,
The general sense I got about autism diagnosis, is that it costs money, and experts who do the diagnosis still struggle to identify people properly. The information on autism are changing real fast.
Generally Id view lables and useful tools, I take it or leave it.
I try to find the things that are interesting and maybe helpful to me.
For instance I might say I am HSP. Lets say I am not. Well either way HSP people have needs and I might try meeting those needs through advice. If it helps, does it really matter if I have HSP or not?
Its a pragmatic approach.
I was actually relived to learn I was autistic and it made me feel, better, but due to the shortage of pragmatic advice on how to live with autism it basically quickly boiled down to one question "OK wtf do I do now HELP!" There is some advice on autism, but not all of it applies. Really how do you relate say to some autistic person in different culture and different goals in life.
Autistic tend to be particular. What might work for you might not work for me etc. That kind of stuff. So I think its more useful for self exploration.
You know just accepting it and trying to figure out the pros and cons in life. Where it sucks and needs to be addressed and where its OK and even useful asset.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
Today 12:44 AM
-->
There are different types of HSP's actually, but its generally I believe its more of a physical sensitivity. For example, bright lights, strong scents, the energy in a room, sometimes sensitivities to the spirit world or very lucid dreams, sensitivities to heat, cold, hunger, smells, sounds, etc.

Here is the self test:

Examples of the high sensitivities I have:
I adopted a dog and the previous owner dowsed it in strong perfume, and it literally made me have horrible headache and nausea, so I'm working on giving it many baths with white vinegar, dish soap, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and I'm having to do it repeatedly to try to get rid of the perfume.

Scents at work, I send an email to the whole division telling them not to wear perfume or burn incense or whatever.

Reaction to bass music or dogs that don't stop barking when next door: It puts me over the edge within a minute. To the point I will scream, knock on doors, windows, put my car stereo on full blast and park in front of their house until they stop, or call the cops to get the noise to stop. I literally climb the wall or go off the deep end with certain loud things.

Shrill alarms: One shrill alarm going off, sends me jumping off my chair 2 feet up in nerve reactions, then screaming and covering my ears and running out of a building. After even a few minutes, I am physically drained for the next three days and need to take the day off to recuperate in a dark quiet room. Its like the most horrible pain on earth to me.

I don't go to concerts due to the lights and sounds are too much.
I am sensitive to spirits and sometimes can even see sparkles of light of them swirling around in the dark.
I can sense any type of negative reaction to me and it causes me to leave a party even if its just the emotion from someone.
I can't stand toxic people for a minute or violence.
I usually want to heal and send good energy to help soothe things and uplift things.
I like cooking foods that help comfort and make you feel good inside.
My house is fairly dark because I don't like bright lights or fluroescent lighting.
I can't wear a watch because I affect electromagnetic fields and they always stop working too.
I affect things around me, lights explode or go out, electric panels blow, stove elements explode, a ridiculous amount of
appliances have to be replaced, transmissions on cars have to be replaced, so thats why I only have a stick shift now.
Color affects me and art affects me strongly. A visit to a museum leaves me in total awe and it turns on the visual creative in me, I will get gorgeous mental projections of my very own art show after being around other art. I love healing and touch and hugs.
I have been over reactive emotionally as well but usually I feel somewhat reserved in order to hide my strong reactions.
I'm somewhat intuitive and six sensory compared to the majority of other regular people.
And on and on. But each hsp is a little different.

One of the weirder things is that I am a slider, but I've learned to control it by being somewhat stoic. The scariest part is taking an elevator and the moment I pass through the electronic sensors, I cause it to stop working, and this happened many times at work, so I would take the stairs instead. Same with Dr. Appointments, the minute I step up to the receptionist, the whole place blacks out, and it causes everyone to reschedule. I've had computer monitors the CRT type explode when I was angry or felt strong emotion also. Every car I had from age 15 to 30 had to have its transmission replaced and some more than once. Big appliances like washers or dryers can go out, or transformers can blow around me. Radios that are OFF can go ON in cemetaries. I think the spirit world is electromagnetic fields actually. But I have very healing hands and people and pets LOVE my healing touch.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
so I'm working on giving it many baths with white vinegar, dish soap, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide
You sure that is OK with the dog, sounds a lot of strong stuff.

There are different types of HSP's actually, but its generally I believe its more of a physical sensitivity. For example, bright lights, strong scents, the energy in a room, sometimes sensitivities to the spirit world or very lucid dreams, sensitivities to heat, cold, hunger, smells, sounds, etc.
Yeah, not sure what type I am, but def sensitive to a lot of different things.
Scored 26 in the test you posted.

Scents at work,
I hate some scents too, strong ones. Used to work fast food, so entering the kitchen was like someone blasted my nose.

Reaction to bass music or dogs that don't stop barking when next door: It puts me over the edge within a minute. To the point I will scream, knock on doors, windows, put my car stereo on full blast and park in front of their house until they stop, or call the cops to get the noise to stop. I literally climb the wall or go off the deep end with certain loud things.
I hate this stuff too.

Shrill alarms: One shrill alarm going off, sends me jumping off my chair 2 feet up in nerve reactions, then screaming and covering my ears and running out of a building.
That is a strong reaction. I get jumpy inside....

I don't go to concerts due to the lights and sounds are too much.
Been to a party once when young never went again. Went to a concert, it sucked balls. I don't get the appeal of loud noise ripping my eardrums to shreds.

I am physically drained for the next three days and need to take the day off to recuperate in a dark quiet room. Its like the most horrible pain on earth to me.
Yeah, you must be very high on sensitivity.

I can't stand toxic people for a minute or violence.
I hate both.

I have been over reactive emotionally as well but usually I feel somewhat reserved in order to hide my strong reactions.
Same.

The slider thing I thought is made up, but it sounds like a thing.
Its freaky!

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
The slider thing I thought is made up, but it sounds like a thing.
Its freaky

One psychic thinks it could be a highly useful gift. For example, if you could harness this skill with trained sliders around the world, you could possibly affect /shut down powerful databases that are controlling things if there was a need to.

Strong emotions make it happen. This is why I love calmness, I really don't like affecting things like that - it gets expensive.

Anyway, and people that make me angry can bring it on, so control is important.

HSPs have these different gifts though, you may not be aware of how special they are, the different types of clairs and esp come in to us in many ways, sometimes even all the ways, feelings, gut, knowing, hearing, visuals, sensations, reactions, etc. Intuitions are more powerful than you think. Each has their own type of gift, so it varies and can you imagine if hsps got together to live together and could harness this stuff in different powerful ways? Kind of like earth angels to watch over the planet? You see, if people like us concentrated on light and love, how powerful we are to the planets health?

And its ok with the dog, it was a gentle warm bath with a squirt of dish soap, and white vinegar and baking soda, and then I rinsed her off well. Now I've got most of the scent out, but not all.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
One psychic thinks it could be a highly useful gift. For example, if you could harness this skill with trained sliders around the world, you could possibly affect /shut down powerful databases that are controlling things if there was a need to.
You could do million things with it. Much like all things like using shoes, or singing or walking all things need to be learned. I assume there is no guidelines or meaningful training, and as far as I know no one seems to explain how it works.
So it kind of makes sense.

HSPs have these different gifts though, you may not be aware of how special they are, the different types of clairs and esp come in to us in many ways, sometimes even all the ways, feelings, gut, knowing, hearing, visuals, sensations, reactions, etc. Intuitions are more powerful than you think. Each has their own type of gift, so it varies and can you imagine if hsps got together to live together and could harness this stuff in different powerful ways? Kind of like earth angels to watch over the planet?
I don't know, but variety is good anyway.
Personally I don't know much about HSP stuff.
All I know is I get over stimulated easily.
I can have trouble with strong feelings at times. Though I numbed them out.
I certainly have some intuitions I am still learning how that works. Not all intuitions are correct. So when I have them I often wonder whether they are right or not. Or where they come from.

And its ok with the dog, it was a gentle warm bath with a squirt of dish soap, and white vinegar and baking soda, and then I rinsed her off well. Now I've got most of the scent out, but not all.
Oh right, never bathed a dog myself.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Yeah, not sure what type I am, but def sensitive to a lot of different things.
Scored 26 in the test you posted.
Awesome, glad to know we have hsps here! I really like to know this.

This guy Peter is from Denmark, and has a blog about being a male hsp, and is a good writer too.
It can be challenging to be hsp, but even more so to be male hsp. The main issue I think is we don't feel validated by most of the world. So finding validation is hard to come by.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Awesome, glad to know we have hsps here! I really like to know this.
Yeah, I mean its not possible to deny any more.
Its really weird feeling strong emotions at times.
Its like my nervous system cannot handle them easily, that I don't suppress the emotions anymore so much.

This guy Peter is from Denmark,
Thanks for the link.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
What would you call a success?

I think that creating emotional stability in others and ourselves is beneficial in all aspects. People want to be understood and I want that also. It is for me to learn how best to be empathic to others even if I am not acknowledged by them. What matters is that someone learns something, I would like to increase wisdom. The best that can be done is to show compassion in the light of what is learned. People must acknowledge themselves that they are worth something. So that comes from me in that regard, to be kind. I can care about them and they will see they have or can have more self-respect. There are many problems created by a lack of self-respect.

When two people conflict it is because of this trouble. Someone cannot find a way to be a big person and help. They are both small and not able to lean in and resolve what needs to be resolved. And people can think less of others. This too is an issue of emotion. It is about avoiding themselves. A projection. We don't know our weaknesses and think we can make up for them by seeing them only in others. That is what happens. Things can get better when we see into ourselves and realize what we are missing key parts of emotional stability.

I had a hard time today. My attachment figure has a hard time seeing that he is hurt inside and he wants to project his power onto the world. he feels powerless and cannot let go of the pride he has. We face the problems we have by going against what we have as its opposite. I do not want to hurt others' feelings so I hurt my own feelings. I feel rejected so I try not to reject. But he feels like he has no meaning, he must impose meaning onto others. He thinks little of others because he thinks little of himself. that is where it comes from. His self-worth is in seeing others as little as himself.

Because he can control what he believes he can make believe others are bad so he does not have to feel bad. that others have no meaning so he can have meaning. he can reject me because then he does not have to look at himself and say: I am good. he is good but will not accept it, he will not accept it so none is good to him.

He never had love so does not know what love is. He was betrayed and lonely and had nothing so he sees everyone like that. He sees everyone as himself. And because it was taken away from him he needs to feel special in some way. That way is to think he knows the truth and everyone else does not. It is a negative attitude.

If I can help him I will but he rejects me and that hurts because he is my father figure. What do you do when your father does not love you?

I need to help him see in himself that he cannot see.

That is why he came back to me.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
This was pretty good, shows empaths need to be more selfish:
I watched the vid and it was very interesting, I needed to hear this.
I still work on my emotions, and inner child is very powerful.
I just feel like I don't know how to help it sometimes.

birdsnestfern

Earthling
Local time
-->
Yes, it’s the practice of focus outside, then inside , then outside, then inside, it’s like a pump that activates something in awareness. Probably do that 3x a day will increase it. Inside will be in the heart center feel love, gratitude And in head feel a star of light from ear to ear and from third eye to back of head and from earth to sky.

also, spin chakras one at a time into tight small balls so they let in less outside energy And are more compact and clear Pure light centers.

Can Find your favorite chakra spinning video on YouTube.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
my irl therapist thinks abandonment is a choice.
children choose to be abandoned.
she has no empathy.
she was a state prosecutor or something.
From now on she can't be trusted.

-

@birdsnestfern

that video is correct.
but I was more helpless than he was.
so far I am on disability because I could not help myself much.
he said he could buy a $50,000 car - that means he was quite independent.
I neither ask people to help me nor do I help most people.
I am not needy, I don't do what others tell me to do, I just stay by myself.
what bothers me is not knowing what to do.
any action can lead to bad outcomes.
the only safe thing to do is to do nothing.
doing nothing is my survival strategy.

(INTJ - INFP)
(schizoid - avoidant)

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
she has no empathy.
That is one dumb and insensitive thing to say, specially about children.
I guess you are right she does not do much empathy.
Perhaps if possible look for a new one?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
she has no empathy.
That is one dumb and insensitive thing to say, specially about children.
I guess you are right she does not do much empathy.
Perhaps if possible look for a new one?

I will say it was not her fault. She was not trained as a therapist she was trained in law enforcement/legal systems. We did have a good group today where we went to the NASA museum. I am just not going to tell her anything about my emotional problems anymore.

I would also say that when the government is your only option for mental health services it sucks somewhat. It's been this way since I was 24 and unable to make good life decisions.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
I will say it was not her fault.
Yeah well without training people say whatever they think.
We did have a good group today where we went to the NASA museum.
Cool. Anything interesting?

I would also say that when the government is your only option for mental health services it sucks somewhat. It's been this way since I was 24 and unable to make good life decisions.
Its the equivalent of getting a paper cup with one oz of water, in desert. That sucks big time.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Cool. Anything interesting?

its small but has many artifacts.

when I was 12 at school I was in a simulation about launching the space shuttle.

I mean where you need to follow the manual as a group and press buttons.

I did not understand why I was there but now I know it had to do with safety systems

I read all the books about space and saw the movies at the library. the mir Russian station had a fire once, and in the movie "Contact" with Jodie Foster a rich man paid the Russians to go there.

I told the guild that many secret technologies existed we did not know about for many years, stealth helicopters, and the replacement for the U-2 in the 50s shot down over Russia.

I asked about the SpaceShipOne exhibit that was there once but she said she was there for a year and did not know.

I still have my poster of the International Space Station.

I had a model of the mir station in my room and lots of space legos.

ZE2UsT4.jpg

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
Wow did not know you are into space that much. COOL>

Top Bottom