• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Your thoughts on S Korea's Plastic Surgery Industry and Japan and Korea's Idol Services?

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 5:57 PM
-->
Some of these things really makes me think about the extent of Human Right of Liberty and Freedom that should be given to people. This is just as worse as not declaring war on tobacco.

Also what do you think of Japan's Idol Industry?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:27 AM
-->
Have you ever been to Tokyo? Crazy place.

Not the highest population density or the wealthiest but probably the largest densest area of middle income earners, as such their consumer culture is... something else.

It's like how the internet caters to very niche interest groups because its accessible from more or less anywhere in the world, Tokyo is like that but in the real world, indeed there's entire city districts that specialize in catering to certain demographics.

I remember one store I walked into was just wall to wall pictures of boys, not NSFW I mean like boy-band boys in fashionable clothes with their hair styles and whatnot. My Japanese is kindergarten level so I couldn't deduce what I was seeing by reading labels or listening to people but I think these pictures are like trading cards, people collect them.

There was an entire street of stores like this, I'm not sure exactly where I was at the time I was with a group and we were using google to navigate to our next tourist attraction and traveling around like that feels like a fever dream, you're never really totally sure where you are or what's going because it's all happening so fast and there's just so much happening.

Great fun though.

Edit: I know shitty stuff happens with idols but I don't know what you're referring to specifically.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 12:27 PM
-->
Have you ever been to Tokyo? Crazy place.

Not the highest population density or the wealthiest but probably the largest densest area of middle income earners,
Sounds like the main goal of cities in the modern era.

Middle-class earners are people with more money than they need to survive, which means that if they splurge on products that are not worth the price, they'll probably keep buying them anyway. Makes them a great market for selling stuff.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 9:27 PM
-->
It brings in money from China. It was a trend to get something fixed, but now the perception's changed. There's a name for the phenomenon too, medical tourism.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 5:57 PM
-->
Yeah. I am aware of that. But that's not what I am talking about

ANAXEL

I always get invited to parties
Local time
Today 7:27 AM
-->
There’s an inevitable result in the demand:supply relationship that I like to call The Torture of the Cow - the increase in demand will inevitably decrease the quality/integrity of the supply (in reference to the high demand of animal products leading to the awful maltreatment of the animals - no, I’m not a vegetarian… yet).
All moral principles aside, what’s going to happen is people’s faces likely getting messed up more often than not, and even some disoriented young people committing to changes that they’ll likely regret or have to spend a large portion of their lives reconciling themselves with. That’s what I think about. A vain person going to the earthly chamber of hell reserved for vanity makes sense - a naive 18-year-old girl going to the same chamber as a victim of her environment is what will keep me up at night.
The more people do it, the more really screwed-up cases of abuse and misuse will happen.
It is so bad. I remember meeting a guy from SK for the first time, really friendly and kind, and when I asked him what he liked/disliked from his country, the FIRST thing he brought up wasn’t crime or poverty. It was just how materialistic and vain the overall culture was. It makes it hard to have a healthy social life when everyone around you thinks of you as objectively inferior based on how you look. Dystopian levels of crappy.
That’s my expletive, but on the side of being practical: you know how the big-daddy US will send troops in order to defend freedom in other countries? If the US and it’s citizens lived up to the philosophy of freedom, we’d set the example for other nations, not just with guns and tanks, but with our overall commercial and social influence. Japanese people want to be white, South Koreans want to be white. In South America, white culture is looked up to with admiration and some jealousy. I’m not trying to go SJW here, but as someone who got influence by Western propaganda, I know this happens for a fact. This propaganda exists because it’s the best way to cater to the public. That means that if the public changes, the propaganda will change. If the propaganda changes, the influence will change. If the influence changes, these cultures may change as well. That is very optimistic of me to think, but I think it’s a good start.
Does that make sense?

TL;DR - I think people will hurt themselves and others really badly in the process.
The solution?
“If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself, and make a (non-surgical, internal) change, and perhaps campaign a little”

Top Bottom