• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Yes the forum was down don't panic.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 5:20 PM
-->
I am incredibly sorry. The months that I come back and talk in generate so much discussion that the forum runs out of bandwidth.

In before another thread begging to allow donations.

In before another thread about "what did you do while the forum was down."

In before another thread about the forum being down because one is not enough and we really need to use up the bandwidth for the next month.

Jinx.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:20 AM
-->
I am incredibly sorry. The months that I come back and talk in generate so much discussion that the forum runs out of bandwidth.

In before another thread begging to allow donations.

In before another thread about "what did you do while the forum was down."

In before another thread about the forum being down because one is not enough and we really need to use up the bandwidth for the next month.

Jinx.

I knew it was your fault.
(looked at another way, the entire forum just got a ten-day ban. We bad.)

... but sure, let's see if we can blow this forum's bandwidth within 24 hours. Ready, set, GO.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:20 AM
-->
The fact we ran out of bandwidth was a likely indication the forum was becoming more lively (read populated).

There is a number of things everyone could do to reduce the problem, but I doubt many would be inclined/disciplined enough to try.
It boils down to avoiding unnecessary refreshing, getting rid of avatars, putting graphics and embeds in spoilers, etc.

I guess avatars are an important element of some people's identity so be creative, use as little pixels as possible, every bit counts! :p.

Wartime savings, a turbulent era chapter 1...don't think what the forum can do for you, but what you can do for the forum.

If the notion of helping the abstract forum doesn't sway you, think of it this way:
Every bit you save goes for every other user being able to use this forum a bit longer.

Yeah, I'm not serious.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I'm not sure it's true that Spoiler tags prevent the images from being downloaded; I'm under the impression that it just hides them on the page until the Spoiler is opened.

Streaming videos obviously don't stream until you play them.

Yeah, I'm not serious.

Hooray. Time to start loading TIF and BMPs.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I'm not sure it's true that Spoiler tags prevent the images from being downloaded; I'm under the impression that it just hides them on the page until the Spoiler is opened.
I can think of a basic test that would confirm it, but it would waste the precious bytes! The dilemmas of this turbulent era are visibly epic.
Streaming videos obviously don't stream until you play them.
Streaming is done using bandwidth of the external site. I'm pretty certain of that. What loads on our site is the external page window and preview image of the video.
Hooray. Time to start loading TIF and BMPs.
You know, it's the kind of "just kidding" when someone is honestly presenting the situation and gravely serious, but realises the inapplicability of the inability of the solutions offered and everyone involved, shrugs and joins the happy crowds.

Bi-weekly forum, how cool is that?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I can think of a basic test that would confirm it, but it would waste the precious bytes! The dilemmas of this turbulent era are visibly epic.

Live on the edge.
Suck the marrow out of the bitstream.
Don't let the Man keep you down!

Streaming is done using bandwidth of the external site. I'm pretty certain of that. What loads on our site is the external page window and preview image of the video.

Well, there we go then.

Bi-weekly forum, how cool is that?

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
Yesterday 11:20 PM
-->
How much bandwidth does this place use?!

It was nice taking a break from the forum. First things first, I panicked!

I got a lot done during the downtime. Glad to see it's back!

SolarCycler

Compressionshirt
Local time
Today 1:20 AM
-->
I was reading about The Void, not checking what their actual username was now, before the site went down. The reading was to figure out why they got banned. If someone upset with a ban or something has a botnet generating page views, that could be a reason for the site using too much bandwidth for the month, especially if this event is unusual or was the first of it's kind.

What's the total bandwidth usage allowed?

J-man

Cobra Kai
Local time
-->
This is the only thread that's been posted in. It's like exploring the wreckage of the Titanic. We should let the forum rest in peace and "fork the forum".

Or just add the outages to the list of reasons it should be done.

Sir Eus Lee

I am wholely flattered you would take about 2 and
Local time
-->
).
It boils down to avoiding unnecessary refreshing, getting rid of avatars, putting graphics and embeds in spoilers, etc.

I guess avatars are an important element of some people's identity so be creative, use as little pixels as possible, every bit counts!

How much do avatars count for bandwidth? It sounds like pictures are significantly larger than text posts.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 8:20 AM
-->
All I have to say is.............
Hmmm......................................

Noodles and barrels.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
How much do avatars count for bandwidth? It sounds like pictures are significantly larger than text posts.
Every character (including space as character) uses 1-4 bytes, each byte has 8 bits, each bit can take a value of 1 or 0.

Latin script uses 1 byte, Cyrillic script is encoded using 2 byte signs, Japanese and Korean ideograms require 3 bytes.

So your message has 106 characters and it's also how many bytes it uses, 106.
Your avatar image is roughly 4,2 kilobyte or 4 260 bytes, which is 40 times more than your post.

It's a bit of a simplification because I didn't count the code necessary to display your post from the database and all the tables and rows that appear on the screen.

Local time
-->
If someone upset with a ban or something has a botnet generating page views, that could be a reason for the site using too much bandwidth for the month, especially if this event is unusual or was the first of it's kind.
Not the first of its kind, but still probably unusual.

I mean... some people have taped down ctrl+r for hours without blowing out the bandwidth. :angel:

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 9:20 AM
-->
What kind of thing is going to solitude when so much socialization is depending on him,how unconsidered of him.
This was horrible.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

Since they would get downloaded once to your queue and then referenced from there.... not much considering this site doesn't have a ton of members.

We've had the site downage only a few times I can recall in the last few years. It usually doesn't occur. If it was occurring every month, then sure, start throwing ballast or upgrade the site bandwidth, but otherwise... what happened this month that we were down for 25% of the month?

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
-->
I was starting to get used to the fact that I had lost access to all of my posts. No more Internet dumping.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Glad the forum is back up. I felt like I was marooned on an island with just a basketball to talk to.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
...what happened this month that we were down for 25% of the month?

Obviously it's RB and bronto's fault.

Jokes aside I have seriously noticed it go down more when I'm active. That's obviously the cause.

Secondary jokes aside no idea, it did seem to be more active with more threads.

Sixup

Local time
-->
I'm panicking.

Now that it's back up, how will I get anything done?

Local time
Today 7:20 AM
-->
Who's the host?

I'm quite surprised that any website runs out of bandwidth these days.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
I was bailing hay, for the cows during the day. At night, I was all alone in the mountains, with the cows in the barn. I was lonely and miserable.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 3:20 PM
-->
Glad the forum is back up. I felt like I was marooned on an island with just a basketball to talk to.

I was thinking more of an airport terminal.

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
-->
Who's the host?

I'm quite surprised that any website runs out of bandwidth these days.

Yeah, the site must get a ton of traffic. I was just checking my hosting account and they give me 3,000GB/mo. My other host was giving me 800GB/mo.

I have a buddy who was using Godaddy because they have unlimited space and bandwidth but they kept shutting him down because they were using it as a processing farm. Only $4.99/mo. The forum could use it as a CDN for media.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:20 PM
-->
I would like to meet this buddy of yours, I've got a small farm and I'm looking to put it to use.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
-->
No more ads? Where they taking more than giving?

Esurient Fere

*grownup
Local time
-->
Ah, to be able to lurk again. I have to say the timing's pretty bad though. Now I hardly have anytime due to my training programme. Glad that I can come around on my day off again :)

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 8:20 PM
-->
Stage 1: ~complete~
[bimgx=200]http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac242/profevic/MrBurns.jpg[/bimgx]

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:20 PM
-->
Glad everybody is coming back up after the forum's downtime :)

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 12:20 AM
-->
Yeah, the site must get a ton of traffic. I was just checking my hosting account and they give me 3,000GB/mo. My other host was giving me 800GB/mo.

I have a buddy who was using Godaddy because they have unlimited space and bandwidth but they kept shutting him down because they were using it as a processing farm. Only $4.99/mo. The forum could use it as a CDN for media.
No hosting package is unlimited because physics and economics. GoDaddy limits inodes. Anyway, their terms of service also says that can shut you down if you use more resources than the average user.

Does anyone know the average bandwidth usage for this website? How much disk space are we up to? How many concurrent database connections do we run at a time at our busiest? I have access to good hosting services (not the "shove everything onto one server and slap cPanel on it" crap you get from GoDaddy and EIG), but I'd want to know more about the resource usage before making any committed offers.

Local time
-->
I love you all ♡。゚.(*♡´◡` 人´◡` ♡*)゚♡ °・

hush

puppy
Local time
-->
I blame it on the giant Mario/cat photo I set as my profile picture.

Life is full of regrets.

But I would do it all over again for Mario.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Yeah Pcafe is okay but it's also very fluffy with a lot of people trying to be cute.

TheAdditional1

The Pharaohs Advocate
Local time
-->
Aw man - the bandwith thing

So did our collective awesome brainwaves completely overwhelm the interwebs for a while or did I personally get locked out? Missed yall! D':

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 4:20 PM
-->
Re: Aw man - the bandwith thing

You were personally locked out. No hard feelings, though. We are in fact happy that you are here.

TheAdditional1

The Pharaohs Advocate
Local time
-->

Yay I'm special.

...except I saw what'shisname post about how yes the forum was down.

HOW COULD YOU LIE TO ME. I THOUGHT I WAS SPECIAL.

<suffers crippling, Anchorman 2-like mental breakdown>

<chugs sangria>*

*That's a normal part of my evening, pay no heed to that.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->

Yay I'm special.

...except I saw what'shisname post about how yes the forum was down.

What'shisname! *breaks down in a crippling celebrity crisis*

Just when I was considering making a non-dramatic forum exit it seems people don't know who I am. *sob*

But yeah not just you, uhh... t h e a d d i t i o n a l 1.

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
-->

But yeah not just you, uhh... t h e a d d i t i o n a l 1.

Lol, what a funny.

--

I also thought it may have been some sick joke played on me as the forum went down just as I got internet access back...

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->

To figure out what happened to the forum I went to the INTJ forum under an alias just to make sure there was no foul play involved.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 12:20 AM
-->

Ha!

Sir Eus Lee

I am wholely flattered you would take about 2 and
Local time
-->
I would say that the INTJs wouldn't sabotage us, there's no evidence or possible reason for them doing it, but on the other hand the INTJs might just be the type crazy, competent, and skilled enough to pull it off without us knowing at all. It would still be somewhat pointless even if it was them, but if it was, kudos to you INTJs. Maybe they knew that just being INTJs would make us suspect them thus giving them partial credit for something they may have never even considered. They've got it all planned out, the INTJ conspiracy.

J-man

Cobra Kai
Local time
-->
Is anyone else getting two GIANT HostGator 403 pages where the ads are supposed to be? It's getting annoying.

I can't be the only one not using Adblock.

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->
I don't use AdBlock, and the ads that used to be here were small, and now they're gone. My condolences.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Is anyone else getting two GIANT HostGator 403 pages where the ads are supposed to be? It's getting annoying.

I can't be the only one not using Adblock.
I suggest you clean your intpf cookies and history. There's no blank 403 to speak of.

If this doesn't help, run a reliable malware scan.

J-man

Cobra Kai
Local time
-->
I suggest you clean your intpf cookies and history. There's no blank 403 to speak of.

If this doesn't help, run a reliable malware scan.

I cleared my cache/cookies. I'm using an iPad Air 2 and I don't think there's any antivirus software for it.

Side note: the iPad has been a huge disappointment all around. I should have bought a laptop.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
I had the hostgator banner flash on me some time ago when I was on my computer, however it was gone soon afterwards. I've been browsing the forum on my phone today, which is where I normally notice ads since my computer browser uses adblock, but I didn't see any.

Top Bottom