• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Would you apply for a high risk/high suck job, so you could retire earlier?

Cafih

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:46 AM
-->
As in my case, one idea I've been contemplating is that of joining the Foreign Legion and, given my living in (a comparably cheap part of) Central Europe, retiring at the ripe old age of (!) 23, even though living a bohemian lifestyle, is not out of reach.

Another one is just somehow getting a high-pay job in some expensive part of the continent (Switzerland comes to mind, however hard actually getting a job there may be. Also, not EU), and, yet again, retiring at an early age.Of course, one has to pay for the accommodation and the commodities in this case, which makes calculating with this harder. Obviously, higher pay, and therefore early retirement is more easily achived by jobs that few can, or want to do.

Mindful research suggests that mortality rates are lower amongst those who, given the choice between these two, go for the later.

Would you ever even consider the first one?

The second one (geo-arbitrage, as I've seen it called by some [inrelevant thoughts about weasel words, and their avoidance surface]) seems like a no-brainer to me, but I am eager to hear some thoughts on the contrary.

BlueNote

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 7:46 PM
-->
As in my case, one idea I've been contemplating is that of joining the Foreign Legion and, given my living in (a comparably cheap part of) Central Europe, retiring at the ripe old age of (!) 23, even though living a bohemian lifestyle, is not out of reach.

Another one is just somehow getting a high-pay job in some expensive part of the continent (Switzerland comes to mind, however hard actually getting a job there may be. Also, not EU), and, yet again, retiring at an early age.Of course, one has to pay for the accommodation and the commodities in this case, which makes calculating with this harder. Obviously, higher pay, and therefore early retirement is more easily achieved[LATEX][/LATEX] by jobs that few can, or want to do.

Mindful research suggests that mortality rates are lower among those who, given the choice between these two, go for the later.

Would you ever even consider the first one?

The second one (geo-arbitrage, as I've seen it called by some [inrelevant thoughts about weasel words, and their avoidance surface]) seems like a no-brainer to me, but I am eager to hear some thoughts on the contrary.

I don't think the INTP personality would mix well with a military culture. My problem with the military was that , despite the educational opportunities, they required too much of my mind, body and time for too little long term return.

I would go with the latter if those were the only choices. Geo arbitrage is very interesting, make some bucks in a high end first world country and spend them in a developing country where you can live like royalty for pennies on the dollar. I once considered teaching English in Cambodia, I could have had a driver, maid and two story flat. Unfortunately I would have earned in Cambodian currency which wouldn't have gone far back in Canada.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 7:46 AM
-->
I don't think the INTP personality would mix well with a military culture. My problem with the military was that , despite the educational opportunities, they required too much of my mind, body and time for too little long term return.

I would go with the latter if those were the only choices. Geo arbitrage is very interesting, make some bucks in a high end first world country and spend them in a developing country where you can live like royalty for pennies on the dollar. I once considered teaching English in Cambodia, I could have had a driver, maid and two story flat. Unfortunately I would have earned in Cambodian currency which wouldn't have gone far back in Canada.

Cambodia uses USD, dude.

BlueNote

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Cambodia uses USD, dude.

I have to admit at the time I didn't really research this too much and was going on what I read on forums like Daves ESL cafe. You are right yhey do have their own currency but the USD is what is in general use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_riel. I would have still been paid very few USD but they would have gone very far in Cambodia, you would just have to get used the culture and in some cases a lower standard of living imho.

BlueNote

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm in the US Army now, so I would consider the first one.

The military is like marriage ie easy to get into but difficult to get out of. The American army especially seems to have these huge recruitment drives all the time where they will take anyone who can fog a mirror. I frankly wouldn't want to lead or belong to a group of people who sometimes go into the army to avoid jail or couldn't get a job elsewhere. You would probably have to do a tour of duty in a glamorous place like Afghanistan where there is no actual war, just the constant fear of being boobey trapped by road side bombs and what not. If that is your idea of a good time then at least get as much relevant free education as possible while you are there so it is somewhat worth while. The Navy and airforce might be more interesting due to the terrain and possibly higher standards placed on recruits.

Top Bottom