• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why neuroscience will not be the savior of MBTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
Today 9:00 AM
-->
There is an idea that I see perpetuated on the MBTI circuits, and this idea is essentially that Neuroscience will uncover all of the mysteries of MBTI. But to that I say nay, because as long as MBTI theory is dictating the hand that holds the magnifying glass, any data collected will be misplaced and misinterpreted, while critical data will be overlooked. This is of course is not due to the incompetence of Neuroscientists, but rather due to the incompetence of the theory that the research is based on.

Empirical data acquired through testing is not actually irrefutable. The validity of the data one is acquiring is dictated by the theory that is guiding the research taking place. What that means is that one is going to be collecting data in the places that the theory suggests they should be looking, and they will be interpreting this data based on their theory's assumptions. So in other words, if the theory itself is flawed, then all calculations based on the theory will also be flawed, and thus research data acquired within the scope of said theory will be irrelevant. There are a few key places that I expect are completely screwing up any attempts neuroscientists are having in trying to find the neurological source for the personality phenomenon:

A.) It is based on a shitty test

This factor, more than any other factor is why attempting to find empirical neurological correlations for MBTI types is going to produce useless data. The MBTI test is so inaccurate, that we don't even really know exactly how inaccurate it is, because MBTI currently has no constant or control to base it on. Personally I would say it is about 40% accurate, I couldn't know for certain (Accuracy also depends largely on what type you are, what gender you are, what culture you are coming from, and so on and so forth, but that is for another discussion), but for the sake of discussion, let's just say it is. If more than half of your specimens are not what you think they are, then that alone is going cause the majority of results to be irrelevant, make legitimate correlations seem more random, and at the very best validate erroneous correlations. It is for this exact same reason that statistics taken for how, for instance, what ratios MBTI types are distributed in genders and population. In those you will see things like, there are more thinking males than feeling males, but you are not actually measuring the truth of how the two genders are wired, you are measuring a cultural meme, and people have answered questions in their test based on how they think their mind actually works according to that meme, and not how their mind actually works.

B.) It is based on Misconceptions

The bane of MBTI is the fact that it makes simple something that is extremely complex. Occam's Razor suggests that something should not be made more complex than it should be, which is not to be confused with "The more simple something is, the better it is." There are some things that are by nature very complex, and if that complexity is not appreciated, then it will not be understood. MBTI easily falls into this category. There are many examples I can use, but the basic principle behind the vast majority of MBTI misconceptions is usually the same error; When a person is seen doing an activity (Associated with a cognitive function or dichotomy) often, then they must have a preference for said function or dichotomy. The most common example of this is probably the misconception that Extroversion is defined by a person who talks a lot, or is very confident about having a social presence. Extroversion simply means one has a dominant extroverted function, and there is sometimes a correlation to that and how much one is comfortable talking, but it actually not dependent on that alone, which is why there are a significant amount of exceptions. Far to many to simply say the simplification is "close enough."

C.) It is based on poorly defined concepts, specifically the cognitive functions

It is for this reason that I find what is currently being produced by neuroscientists in search of the MBTI-brain correlation to be garbage. The problem with the way Cognitive Function are being defined, is that not unlike the above examples, they are based on misconception. Cognitive functions are defined by the authorities in this field by the results, not by the source. So for example, you will see definitions such as: "Te is used for organizing and planning" or "Se is used for being aware of and present in the outside world." While both of these are technically true for people that actually use Se and Te, not everyone is using Te and Se for these same activities, for instance Planning and organizing can be done with Fe, and being present and aware of the outside world can be done with Ne. It all depends on what functions you have conscious use of. So if an ENFJ is being examined while organizing or planning, the researcher is going to think they are measuring their use of Te, but they are going to see activity in all sorts of regions of the brain because all sorts of cognitive functions such as Fe and Ti are being used, and they will be falsely documenting this as "Te activity." Thus any results produced using their current understanding as a basis are going to look like the Cognitive functions online test does, random cognitive functions being used all over the place with no inherent structure or form.

I am not suggesting that there is no hope when it comes to finding empirical evidence in favor of typology, I am suggesting there is very little hope of finding it if you are using MBTI as a basis. You see, you cannot expect to find what you are looking for if you do not have a complete understanding of what that is. Research without a solid theory to guide it is just blind research. A theory does not necessary need to be 100% spot on in order for it to be able to be properly researched, but it should at least be in the ball park. MBTI is sort of in the ball park when it comes to getting many people to agree that the phenomenon of personality type exists, but the actual phenomenon is so complex that being sort of in the ballpark is not going to cut it when it comes to discovering any neurological foundation through proper interpretation of neurological activity and being able to make reproducible results.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:00 PM
-->
Hmm... the title seems misleading. I think what you're saying here is that when devising neurological tests for MBTI and related theories, it is important to base that on a deeper understanding of how the theory actually works, rather than just using the popular descriptions because they're simpler. Does that sound right?

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Although I am inclined to agree with you, I do think you are making bold claims. There are too many practitioners and casual users for your assertion to have any bearing on its widespread use. I now see the folly of my own previous attempts with Socionics. Unless you were just trying to "get it out there", I think you would need to provide a more comprehensive analysis to not only discourage hopes of scientific proof in neuroscience, but to shoot down the theory's use itself, as its usefulness is still a factor.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Hmm... the title seems misleading. I think what you're saying here is that when devising neurological tests for MBTI and related theories, it is important to base that on a deeper understanding of how the theory actually works, rather than just using the popular descriptions because they're simpler. Does that sound right?
Yes and No. (This is actually an answer to you too ESC)

Yes, I am saying you need do have a deeper understanding than the simple MBTI descriptions, but not a deeper understanding of MBTI, rather a deeper understanding of the phenomenon that MBTI theory is trying to capture.

There is a difference between a theory and the actual phenomenon that the theory is observing and trying to explain. A natural phenomenon is either occuring or it is not, and when one observes this pattern, they make a theory that attempts to explain what it is and how it works, and if they can use that theory to make predictions then they can prove that the phenomenon does indeed exist. If a theory fails to make predictions or reproducible results, then it is not necessarily because the natural phenomenon does not exist (although that could be the case to), it could also be because the theory failed to capture what is actually happening.
This is the case of MBTI. MBTI has failed to capture the principles behind what is actually occurring in this phenomenon, and having a deeper understanding of MBTI is not going to remedy this. Reading all of the MBTI resources on the planet are not going to give you any insight into the phenomenon of the personality type, you are doing research inside of the box, when the answers are outside of the box. What needs to occur is a departure from MBTI, not a deeper understanding of it. Reluctance to let go of a flawed model will not provide any insight onto something that is occurring outside of the scope of perception of said model.

The Amount of correction that would have to be put into MBTI in order to make it test ready, would essentially make it no longer MBTI, and because of that, my title means exactly what it says.

Auburn, if you are reading this, this is why Pod'Lair does not owe Jung or MBTI any gratitude, our model is not based on any of their work, it is a departure from their work, and it is because of that fact that we are so good at correcting their mistakes.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
The fact that MBTI is an inadequate reresentation of the complexity of the mind is a given, much like how the speakable Tao in Taoism is not the real Tao that cannot be put into words. The thing is, however misapplied and misconceived MBTI theory may be, it is supposed to only be a guide and to some extent it has proved its usefulness. Those who seek to link MBTI to the brain are in no way misguided because of the basic nature in which we learn about the world: induction. Sure using Socionics, Pod'lair or the four temperaments w/e may be a better place to start, we still have to start somewhere, and in that, no one is in a position to judge another's methods to learn.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
The fact that MBTI is an inadequate reresentation of the complexity of the mind is a given, much like how the speakable Tao in Taoism is not the real Tao that cannot be put into words. The thing is, however misapplied and misconceived MBTI theory may be, it is supposed to only be a guide and to some extent it has proved its usefulness. Those who seek to link MBTI to the brain are in no way misguided because of the basic nature in which we learn about the world: induction. Sure using Socionics, Pod'lair or the four temperaments w/e may me a better place to start, we still have to start somewhere, and in that, no one is in a position to judge another's methods to learn.
Yes, we can be in a position to judge other models, and we do.

As diplomatic as your position is, it does not change the fact that some theories are stronger and more accurate than other theories, and using a stronger theory will put you in a much more advantageous position when trying to make sense of the world around you. Not all starting points are created equal, you cannot expect to expand your understanding of natural law very far if your understanding is based on a poor foundation.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Well, I mean individual learning. As a society, or in an institution, yes, we should be using the best available model, it would be counterproductive to do otherwise. But as individuals, a man can do what he wishes, foolish as he may be.

Jesin

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Ah, yes, when I said "how the theory actually works", I was referring to how it interacts with reality, as distinct from how it is commonly described. Seems I didn't state that quite as explicitly as I thought, sorry. :p

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 6:00 PM
-->
You know what? I think you're absolutely right. We should all get over MBTI and switch to a clearly superior system. Oh, if there only was something like that. Preferably, it should also have the word pod in its title, mainly because I like that word. Pod. iPod. Pod People. Pod pod pod.
Maybe I should ask Adymus for help in this matter. He seems very knowledgeable and unbiased in matters of typology.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
this is why Pod'Lair does not owe Jung or MBTI any gratitude, our model is not based on any of their work, it is a departure from their work, and it is because of that fact that we are so good at correcting their mistakes.
But had Jung and MBTI not existed to make those mistakes, would Pod'lair even exist? Even those who make mistakes are often an integral part of the overall human effort toward better understanding, because they get the ball rolling, get people more interested and introduce some ideas. And in the process, they may even piss some people off at how wrong they are, which in turn may inspire some to try and do a better job.

This may scare you, but what if Pod'lair is flawed and contains many mistakes? But my point is, even then it would still be worthwhile, because in the process it might produce some new ideas and/or cause some to set out to correct its mistakes in the future. The future theories would owe credit to the pod people in that case.

Acrogamnon

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:00 PM
-->
The problem is mostly in MBTI tests themselves, which study just the 4 dichotomies and have no redundancy in case any of them produces an incorrect result. It doesn't mean that the type system is wrong itself.

MBTI mostly deals with the same types as socionics (except some uncertainty in J/P dichotomy). But a good socionics questionnaire will have a lot of reduncancy since it will test for normal dichotomies, Reinin's ones, functions, quadral values, etc. An incorrect result in a few categories will contradict the rest, so the person in charge of the test can study the area more closely.

Also there are some interesting results from neuroscientific studies that fit well into the type system. For example the level of Oxytocin or sensitivity of its receptors may be partially connected with T/F dichotomy.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 6:00 PM
-->
This is somewhat beside the point, and isn't an argument in favor of MBTI, but the real practitioners of MBTI aren't quite as clueless as that. The real MBTI assessment is a lot more complex than online tests, and is done with a trained individual who is there to guide the client through the process and make sure your type is as accurate as possible.

Just for the sake of information.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Also there are some interesting results from neuroscientific studies that fit well into the type system. For example the level of Oxytocin or sensitivity of its receptors may be partially connected with T/F dichotomy.
I made a thread on that over at the16types, care to contribute?

This is somewhat beside the point, and isn't an argument in favor of MBTI, but the real practitioners of MBTI aren't quite as clueless as that. The real MBTI assessment is a lot more complex than online tests, and is done with a trained individual who is there to guide the client through the process and make sure your type is as accurate as possible.

Just for the sake of information.
It doesn't matter how skilled you are in a system, if its theory is misconceived than any further understandings are misconceived. It's like building a mansion out of straw, regardless of complexity, the structure is weak. What Adymus is saying is that a stronger structure must be used to build that mansion, in his case, probably Pod'Lair. In mine's Socionics. :)

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Nai'zee...Nazi??? INTJ....???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom