• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why is slavery wrong?

SkyWalker

observing y'all from my UFO. inevitably coming dow
Local time
Today 7:33 PM
-->
I'm surprised this hasn't been pointed out already, but this is a flawed analogy. A government and a farm are two different things.
The farm farms(/enslaves/uses) animals. The government/corporation farms(/enslaves/uses) humans. Seems pretty similar to me.

So (once again) the whole thing comes down to whether humans should be treated differently than other life.

TRUE!
So there is 2 options:
- humans are NOT superior to other life
- humans are superior to other life

whatever of these 2 options you choose:
Even if humans would be superior to other life, they are still dependant on the other life. Without our ecosystem being healthy with a diversity of life > we are dead. To not care about the other life, is thus: to take yourself/humanity down, eventually, if you think REALLY LONG term.

But maybe our life is just too short to think&see so far?

Felan

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:33 PM
-->
Objections to slavery in US were in my understanding, more geared to the slave for life. Indebited servitude wasn't really considered that unreasonable. The life of a slave in early American history is also probably unfairly negative, while you could find instances of cruelty it wasn't a widespread practice (though the slave ships were a particularly shitty part of that system).

I'm not arguing that slavery is good. I do think the portrayal of it is maximally focused on the most negative aspects.

If mankind ever were to venture to colonize an extrasolar planet, I would expect some version of slavery (avoiding that historically loaded word of course) to used. After all the cost of sending people to another star would be astronomical (puny) and I can't imagine it would be reasonable for any person to think that if they were part of that journey they would have any real right to leave and go do their own thing. And if we find some rather clever little alien-helper-savages then outright slavery would be quite possible.

Some version of debt slavery will also likely make a resurgence, though again they would naturally avoid the use of the word slave. I think prosperity more then anything made slavery unseemly. It's easy to think of those people that spend well outside of their means as deserving some heaping pile of dog shit.

If history truly repeats itself then slavery will arise again. I tend to have a lot of faith in history repeating.

A22

occasional poster
Local time
Today 6:33 PM
-->
I now realize I was full of shit when I posted here.

Dragonmythos

Knight
Local time
Today 1:33 PM
-->
All the great civilizations used slaves. Sure it was hard work and some blood was spilled, but at the end of the day it was worth it.

We wouldn't have the marvelous pyramids if it wasn't for slaves. Anyhow it was always my understanding that the lesser race was conquered by the superior one and was subjected to extensive labor. Be glad you weren't sacrificed or used as sport.

Originally human beings were intended as an inferior slave race by our gods, or so the story goes. Funny huh? It runs in the blood.

rattymat

Local time
-->
Dumb. You don't kill a plant when you use it for nutrition.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 3:03 AM
-->
You kill the apple tree by taking it's apple? No wonder God was so bloody furious!

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:33 AM
-->
You kill the apple tree by taking it's apple? No wonder God was so bloody furious!
You kill the part you eat, though. Further, most things not grown on trees are destroyed and churned back into the soil for the next season's crop.

TriflinThomas

Bitch, don't kill my vibe...
Local time
Today 10:33 AM
-->
Ok become vegetarian? Where does it end? vegetarians kill the plants! poor plants... thats DNA based life too?

You, sir, have invoked the slippery slope logical fallacy. :elephant:

Marshall

Local time
-->
Slavery is subjective, or else it wouldn't exist in history. The only thing telling you it's wrong is your own culture. Personally I think it's wrong, but I grew up with Christian values, so it's only my opinion.

Top Bottom