• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why don't doctors look out for INTPS?

RunForWord

Developing INTP
Local time
Today 6:24 AM
-->
Like it really fucked with my head not knowing and i thought i had something wrong with me. I've been living in society thinking i was inferior to everyone for so long because since i wasn't told i was actually psychologically prone to being socially alienated. I assumed i was imagining it all which it drove me crazy. I even came to the point once of questioning my own sexuality even though I'm clearly not gay because my complete undesire to approach girls in real life or even talk to them. Like what the fuck i should have known before i hit puberty so i could have not been so shameful for so long.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Today 5:24 AM
-->
you are an intp so tell me the answer to this: what is going to make you more money? A this kid is fucked up give him 300$ MEDICINE. B hes normal leave him alone. Also it is spoon fed in our society to be all the fuckn same ._. Thats why they are disorders, nothing wrong just different.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 6:24 PM
-->
Because there are 15 other personalities out there that also need their help.

RunForWord

Developing INTP
Local time
-->
you are an intp so tell me the answer to this: what is going to make you more money? A this kid is fucked up give him 300$ MEDICINE. B hes normal leave him alone. Also it is spoon fed in our society to be all the fuckn same ._. Thats why they are disorders, nothing wrong just different.

What if they had a system where it gauged all the personality types and they recommended a therapist for types such as INTPs at a young age so they could understand their differences?

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:24 AM
-->
What if they had a system where it gauged all the personality types and they recommended a therapist for types such as INTPs at a young age so they could understand their differences?

The two most popular (and used) "systems" AFAIK are The Big Five and the MMPI. (oh, not to forget the DSM)

However, the first is merely "personality traits," and the last two more-so for "categorizing personality disorders."

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Ok but what about the rest of what i said? Any opinions?

That's where things get "hairy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatry#Mental_illness_myth
See:
  • Mental Illness Myth
  • Medicalization of normality
  • Medicalization of deviance

relevant: Empirical Investigation of Jung's Psychological Types and Personality Disorder Features

All points constantly brought up on this forum

My overall point being that: sometimes differences aren't encouraged. *SOMETIMES* they're seen as disadvantages as opposed to just being a unique character trait of that person. (sarcasm->)Certainly nothing could be wrong the majority or average, so the outliers get the flack.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Today 5:24 AM
-->
. Also it is spoon fed in our society to be all the fuckn same ._. Thats why they are disorders said:
well this is why they dont do that, it would make people more individualistic.

RunForWord

Developing INTP
Local time
-->
That's where things get "hairy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatry#Mental_illness_myth
See:
  • Mental Illness Myth
  • Medicalization of normality
  • Medicalization of deviance

relevant: Empirical Investigation of Jung's Psychological Types and Personality Disorder Features

All points constantly brought up on this forum

My overall point being that: sometimes differences aren't encouraged. *SOMETIMES* they're seen as disadvantages as opposed to just being a unique character trait of that person. (sarcasm->)Certainly nothing could be wrong the majority or average, so the outliers get the flack.

sometimes differences aren't encouraged and seen as a disadvantage by doctors too sometimes? They're allowed to be opinionated like that? Sorry if I'm completely misinterpreting it

Base groove

Banned
Local time
-->

Dude.... no.

Don't you understand how retarded of an idea this is?

INTPs get typed as young children and treated differently for life ... and why?? Because they have inferior F?

There are 4 types with inferior F. Should they all get special treatment?

What about the N-dominants with inferior S? Arguably S is equally important in life as F...

What about the S/F-dominants? Do they need therapy? I'd say so...

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 7:54 PM
-->
You shouldn't be thinking doctors, you should be thinking people. We're not sick. *People* need to understand individual differences, whether it be those pertaining to INTPs or no.

Also, I think you're wildly over-estimating the impact typology has on policy and practice. As is, it's not science, and it's correctly ignored by most for that reason.

WALKYRIA

Local time
Today 10:24 AM
-->
DUde, MBTI is para-science, so INTP don't really exist... it's all in your head.

RunForWord

Developing INTP
Local time
-->
this is why i posted here haha thanks for all the imput. thought of a bunch of this stuff after i posted. I was just mad because i found out recently and wish i knew when i was younger. I only found it out about the general mbti stuff a few days ago so i still have much to learn.

Nick

Frozen Fighter
Local time
Today 12:24 PM
-->
^but he's a special and unique snowflake that is never understood by anyone, woe-is-me, for I blame the world on perceived problems.,.

HAL9000

Local time
-->
So being socially awkward is a medical disorder now, is it?

Just get the fuck outside and gain some exposure. The only hard thing is finding a reason to go and do it.

I think most of us here will agree that it's quite insulting for someone to suggest we need need medical treatment for being ourselves.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Because it's not accepted in modern current scientific consensus. You might as well ask them to select your type of psychological therapy according to the colour of your eyes. At least they can see that, and so have clear evidence that eye colour exists.

Variform

Banned
Local time
-->

I like your idea.

But even this afternoon I had a debate on skype and MBTI came up. And the dude compared and valued it to be of no more worth than astrology. I understand that there are critiques that can be made against it, but as psychology goes, it is never going to be an exact science. I mentioned Jung's position in it too.

But no, skepticism was a way of life for him. Yet when I showed him how math was a science, psychology not an exact science, he started claiming nonsense. I won't bore you with it.

Loads of people think it is all hose manure. The skepticism websites put MBTI pretty much in between astrology and the tarot. But even we here know the limitations of MBTI and we warn each other regularly not to take it too far.

I think it is a cool system that can come really close to who you are. And if exact science cannot quantify or predict personality, what else do we have?

So I would be in favor of typing children as long as it would be done in a serious matter, by experts. Now what comprises an expert in this field? I don't know.

But I do think that a lot of pain and misunderstanding and regrets later in life can be avoided. Parents not abusing their children of neglecting them because they understand the differences in personality. Less child abuse thus.

But also more centered people that can feel less guilty and ashamed about who they are at the core. Even to just know or limit understanding to being introvert or extrovert will greatly help I bet.

---

Btw? Stfu some people and stop being so mean to OP.

Variform

Banned
Local time
-->
Dude.... no.

Don't you understand how retarded of an idea this is?

INTPs get typed as young children and treated differently for life ... and why?? Because they have inferior F?

There are 4 types with inferior F. Should they all get special treatment?

What about the N-dominants with inferior S? Arguably S is equally important in life as F...

What about the S/F-dominants? Do they need therapy? I'd say so...

I think all people, so any type, should get therapy from an early age. All people should be typed, if at all possible, using objective tests. They should be tested at intervals, to complete the picture. An extravert can have great difficulty adapting too.

Jung was clear on the difference of I and E. None was to be placed above the other.

If you look at how people raise kids sometimes...I only have to look at my dysfunctional family...it is a crime. It is criminal. Makes you demand a license to procreate at all, or have mandatory parenting classes! Many parenting mistakes are easily avoided.

And many unnecessary feelings in children can be avoided too, if parents and teachers understood a little bit more about what these kids are.

Think about how much better society would function. Even choosing education or career would be easier. To know what you are and then do an education that you will love and find work in it surely is a great oil to society.

But all kids should be counseled. Not single out INTP's.

Top Bottom