• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why do instrumentals evoke emotions?

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Tomorrow 12:14 AM
-->
Why do I get emotional when I hear Cry For You or Black's guitar solo?

I have this question haunting me for a long time regarding what exactly causes instrumental solos to evoke so much emotions. One of the theories in vogue is this: Ability to derive emotion from motion. The research found cerebellum activation after listening to music which is what led to this conclusion. Given that I am a synesthate, I can totally agree with this because that is how I perceive music most ostensibly.

However, I also feel that music has a relationship with emotional tone in human voice, meaning that the most moving pieces will have a close resemblance with human communication somehow just that it is periodic, harmonized and tad more euphonic than a usual conversation. One instance of this is that sad music has more dissonant tones than happy music because crying, wailing, whining, etc are more dissonant than consonant. Since I play the guitar, I also find myself equating good guitar solos with adept vocals which are less riffy and more dynamic and ballad-ic.

What is your take on this? Also, how does this tie with this question o' mine: Why do some people simply sound more pleasant than the others? (notwithstanding their pitch)

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 12:44 PM
-->
I am unable to feel my emotions lately.

Drvladivostok

Daydreamer.
Local time
Tomorrow 1:44 AM
-->
While lyrics is easily digestible, they're hopelessly narrow in it's ability to connect to people; the depth in which you can connect to them is limited by your personal experiences with what's being blabbered. Instrumental on the other hand have near universal appeal; both to comprehension and emotion.

Top Bottom