• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Which tv series are you watching?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Yesterday 9:36 PM
-->
I finished Bojack Horseman. Overall, really good series and a satisfying finale. It's one of those rare shows that knows to finish when it's good and not ruin its legacy. Season 1 is the weakest season where I felt the show was finding its identity so I wouldn't give up based on this. I found season 5 dipped a bit in comparison to the others as well.

The stand-out episodes were definitely the penultimate ones of each series. Episode 11 of each series (episode 15 for the final series) all have wild, experimental styles, like emulating a drug trip or a near death experience. A lot of other episodes contain varied experimentation in form which is generally pulled off well, like Bojack just giving a monologue with no scene changes for a whole episode.

By far my favourite episode was where they chose to finally tell Bojack's Mum's life-story through the perspective of her dementia. That was so well written I was honestly floored and in tears most of it. Among the best television, drama-wise, that I've seen. There's a lot of filler throughout the series but this episode was perfect.

The show just seemed to pull off a combination of a lot of technical experimentation with form, strong character writing and emotionally impactful story-telling. It's sense of humour didn't tickle me as much, no laughs out loud for me. But it's very rare for media to pull this combination off convincingly so I think the show is deserving of its praise.
it took me a few episodes when the show first came out for me to get a feel for what was happening, the comedy and pacing and timing was not what I was used to. It ended up being one of my favorite TV shows I've ever seen, and I really appreciate the way they generally avoided cliche in the broad arcs. Even the ending of the series avoided a lot of typical show pitfalls. It really tried to grapple with what it means to be a character like Bojack, where there are no easy answers to his problems and a lot of the problem is just him. It would be so easy to fall off that tightrope and either punish him maliciously for his flaws or be too forgiving, in terms of the writing. I like how things between him and Diane end.

Time's Arrow or whatever it was called (about Bojack's mom), was just great. It's been years since I viewed it, so I can't comment on it, i just remember being blown away by it.

In general, yeah, Todd was kind of a joke based on Aaron Paul's goofball ADHD persona... although he got better as the series progressed, and it was interesting seeing the whole ACE subplot unfold. I've had ACE friends who were really happy with it.

This was definitely a show that tried to avoid the conventional and expected, and was willing to take some chances with the episode format and also not settling for simple answers much of the time. It's funny how some shows feel very contrived and others feel very real -- and how an animated cartoon can be one of the best of the latter.

Reading through your comments on Undone -- I kinda stumbled across that one and only made it a few episode but planned to pick it back up at some point. Found it interesting and a little different but my thoughts on it have not solidified yet.
Bojack is the best show I never plan on watching again. Genuinely depressing stuff.
I guess that makes it right up my alley. ;)

I don't know if I have enough ooomph to make it through all six seasons again, but when I want to have tons of feels across the map, I rewatch the episode where Sara Lynn and Bojack go on their rampaging bender across the USA at the end of Season 3. I usually never laugh so hard or want to cry so bad as I do at the end of that. That last moment has lingered with me ever since I first saw -- and it's even worse after a revelation at the beginning of Season 6 (?). I guess since I don't feel as much in my day to day existence, I look for those experiences that make me feel something. That one still hurts. But it's a hurt made of fondness for the character. what's the phrase -- "grief is love enduring"?

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
Today 2:36 AM
-->
Top Bottom