• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Which INTP type are you?

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
Today 4:27 AM
-->
I thought this was pretty intriguing at the very least, might be fun to see which 'types' we are by whoever created this... doubtful on it's precision, more makes me think of one those facebook quizzes.

(Original link: http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?t=36491)

P-type

"The improviser"

PNTI-"the qc"
This type uses a wild intellectual instinct to perfect systems, whether they were the originator or not. The weak TI creates ambivalence towards identity and logic.

PNIT-"the context jumper"
The other PN, tends towards comparing seemingly incompatible systems. They thrive on ideas like quines and seemingly inappropriate metaphors.

PINT-"the secret prostitute"
The first of our identity-strong subtypes, they court several identities at once without thought of global inconsistency.

PITN-"the reed in the wind"
Skilled in the evasive arts, these are one of the physical subtypes. Their sense of physical evasion echoes in the chameleon nature of their soul.

PTNI-"the cold shower"
With the inherent paradox of being a T-strong perciever, this type excels in using parsimony to reduce systems to a simplest metaphor. This activity can be sobering.

PTIN-"the collector"
The second in the physical/material subtype, the PTIN collects ideas into a centerless framework.

N-type

"The speculator"

NPIT-"the niche maker"
This type tends to create systems starting from a specific example, creating the framework to fit the criteria of the intuition-object. They want to find a place for everything, and a frame big enough for everyone.

NPTI-"the mediator"
With a kind, agreeable nature, this subtype wants to classify and sort much like the NPIT, but tries to do this from within whichever system is dominant.

NIPT-"the virus"
This identity subtype tries to infect others with a prevailing thought in order to create self-replicating satelites. The best memes are created by the NIPT.

NITP-"the loyalist"
The first of our value-heavy subtypes, the NITP creates an identity through adherence to usually one thought-style or system-style (which may evolve slowly over the years), finding the similarity of all things within this frame.

NTIP-"the armchair general"
One of two pure rationals-this type likes to win. It will usually win long before playing the game, having created and perfected the gaming system.

NTPI-"the arcologist"
The second of the pure rationals, the NTPI tends towards creating utopian architectures. It does this out of a strong intuition of global truth.

I-type

"The solipsists"

INTP-"the unabomber"
With the strong sense of values and identity, this type leads to a greater truth by quiet example.

INPT-"bodhidharma"
This type, the second of the hermit-like INs, seeks obliteration of the personality through calm meditation.

IPNT-"the deadhead"
These types tend to be long-simmering hippies, who are secretly yearning for a simpler existence, usually involving nature or anachronism.

IPTN-"the stoner"
Stoned or not, this type uses themselves as the basic element in their fantasy world. Consequently, they tend to make very self-indulgent frameworks to inhabit.

ITNP-"slow burn"
These annihilate their personalities with their razor brains, and can get into J/P spirals that can lead to madness and suicide.

ITPN-"the cutter"
This type has all the identity strife of the ITNP, but tends to externalize it as physical activity of some kind. The two ITs tend to be the most objective of all the subtypes, because they are constantly forced to face their faults.

T-type

"The editor"

TNIP-"the global paradox"
This is the first of the two flipped rationals. From a long tradition of having their N destroy the workings of their T, the TNIP has found a way to boil anything down to a single metaphorical paradox.

TNPI-"the saboteur"
The other of the flipped rationals, the TNPI has found a favored heuristic with which to destroy any system. This type prefers to destroy in service of a stronger whole, which it ironically knows will never be perfect or complete.

TIPN-"the ourobouros"
This artistic subtype is always destroying itself, finding an identity in the process of constant self-creation. This is the mellower version of the ITs.

TINP-"the silver bullet"
This subtype is always searching for the achilles' heel of a system, with the goal of being recognized as the person who brought it down.

TPIN-"the stress test"
This type is the pure analyst who succeeds in dispassionately running simulations in their mind. These are the best visualizers out of all the 384 subtypes.

TPNI-"the actuary"
This type is the most ambivalent of identity as well as the most logical of the subtypes. The pure debater.

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
-->
I am:

This is the first of the two flipped rationals. From a long tradition of having their N destroy the workings of their T, the TNIP has found a way to boil anything down to a single metaphorical paradox.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 12:27 PM
-->
I knew that list before - and I think it is rubbish. I mean, on what is it based? Where is a deeper description how he came to those sub-types? I want to see what data he used.
And if you want to do that right, you have to do that with every type.

Eljua

Local time
Today 11:27 AM
-->
Agreed with Anthile, the work needs expanding. Until the person who made it up can expand and elaborate, not just for INTPs but for the rest of the spectrum, then it's nothing more than a semi-inaccurate sequence of words. Also I don't relate to the "personality" this places me as.

I'm apparently "The stoner" for point of reference.

mfratt

Local time
Today 6:27 AM
-->
Skilled in the evasive arts, these are one of the physical subtypes. Their sense of physical evasion echoes in the chameleon nature of their soul.

^^ Anyone care to explain that description a bit more?

Perceiving 100%
Introverted 93%
Thinking 85%
Intuitive 68%

Xel

When in the course of inhuman events....
Local time
-->
While I do doubt this is really a good system...I have doubts about the MBTI anyway so: I'm an NPIT "the niche maker". Systems should be all embracing or not at all.

Local time
-->
INPT-"bodhidharma"
This type, the second of the hermit-like INs, seeks obliteration of the personality through calm meditation.

IPNT-"the deadhead"
These types tend to be long-simmering hippies, who are secretly yearning for a simpler existence, usually involving nature or anachronism.

I thought I fit into both types, always thought I was living in the wrong time period. My N/P are the same after retaking my personality type quiz again. I doubt its 100% accurate but it added a bit of fun to my day. The link in my sig has my %s

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
-->
Yeah, I don't really give this any more credit than a Facebook quiz quickly thrown together.

I still just find it fun to think about, maybe we could theorycraft some of our owns. It was mostly just a point of reference to get an interesting discussion on :P I think we can all agree it's generally holds little to no validity.

I've always found in interesting to see how other people perceive me, and this is effectively that... Whoever originated it, at least, thinks I'm a paradox ^_^

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
ITNP-"slow burn"
These annihilate their personalities with their razor brains, and can get into J/P spirals that can lead to madness and suicide.

ITPN-"the cutter"
This type has all the identity strife of the ITNP, but tends to externalize it as physical activity of some kind. The two ITs tend to be the most objective of all the subtypes, because they are constantly forced to face their faults.
^ These two seem to describe me best. That's just based on the descriptions though. I don't even know my percentages, and even if I did it wouldn't be an accurate way of attributing to this particular subtype idea. The %s measure certainty, not preference or priority.

So yeah, it's rubbish indeed, but it would be interesting to see other types deconstructed in the same way.

Local time
-->
it sure as hell beats the 5 types of INTP I came across somewhere else. I wasn't even remotely close to any of those 5.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
The first of our identity-strong subtypes, they court several identities at once without thought of global inconsistency.

Secret prostitute eh? I guess I am. Dunno about the secret, though :rolleyes:

Skilled in the evasive arts also sounds like me. I lie and deceive and defuse and avoid even when I'm not. :phear: Dunno what it means by "physical evasion" ....

Of course, I think I can find something on myself in all of those subtypes... so yeah.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
NPIT-"the niche maker"
This type tends to create systems starting from a specific example, creating the framework to fit the criteria of the intuition-object. They want to find a place for everything, and a frame big enough for everyone.

The other PN, tends towards comparing seemingly incompatible systems. They thrive on ideas like quines and seemingly inappropriate metaphors.

These are my two strongest tendencies - the second is me when I'm at my flightiest, making apparently crazy connections, the first is me being sensible! But I am definitely most interested in complex systems and my research is all about creating models to help people understand dynamic systems.

I quite like this - I agree it's rather rough but it could be developed. Thinking about the members here I was able to begin to link these types to different members (hypothetically) and explain our differences.

LucasM

Local time
-->
IPNT - The deadhead
Interesting titles they have here.

I'm a hippy. But I knew that. It has a premise. Let's play with other types?
I don't really see the point. It is trying to make a barrier based on strength of preference, not the preference itself. The INTP = the PTNI really. They may all be in the high 90s percentagewise so what's the big difference? It is relative to the other preferences, not absolute to a fixed reference. By preference, I mean what I, N, T, P each represent, representatively, let me sleep.

Bwahaha. I hear my body laughing at me. [edit]
It's funny that PINT is the secret prostitute. After a pint of beer, or 2, I don't know what happens. It's sad :(' I don't drink much.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I disagree with this, subgroups must exist, but I think it would be impossible to say anyone belonged to a single one of these subgroups. I can pick out quite a few of those subgroups which could apply to me, but I can't even guess which applies to me best, though I would say I lean towards the T type more than any other. If I tried, I'm sure I could even link every single one of those subgroups to me in some way, and could probably do the same for subgroups of other main MBTI types.

I also think this is the wrong direction to be looking in for creating a system of subgroups, to me it would make more sense if the subgroups were based on order of preference of functions rather than order of preference of the dichotomies. It would make it easier to test as well

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I could identify to some extent with the P-type description but like others, I'm not seeing the validity of this. While the principle of subtyping is something I believe to be a much needed next step, this seemed to lack the depth that is the reason subtyping is needed. It was interesting to read and ponder a bit but it needs more than what it offers.

Local time
-->
i can't relate to any of these

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 6:27 PM
-->
This rocks. Better than the other one I've seen around (golden boy, liberal loser etc subtypes)

Seducer of the Homeless said:

Try harder.:smiley_emoticons_mr

Egads! This emoticon rocks

Tekton said:
Secret prostitute eh? I guess I am. Dunno about the secret, though

I will drink you, PINT!

uth

Local time
-->
The test says I'm:

IPNT-"the deadhead"

That is not me at all.

A few of those descriptions seem to apply to me, but I've I had to choose, I'd go with PTIN

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->

TIPN-"the ourobouros"
This artistic subtype is always destroying itself, finding an identity in the process of constant self-creation. This is the mellower version of the ITs.

? Just a hunch

Local time
-->
oh, wait. that sounds perfect *facepalm* :p

i didn't read the T ones - i thought that would be the one not to include artistic types

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
I am:

Huh? I don't completely understand this . .. Anyone care to explain? :p

MindsEye

Redshirt
Local time
Today 3:27 AM
-->
I think you all fall under the same category: Animaniacs

drumir93

Local time
Today 5:27 AM
-->
ITPN-"the cutter"

Deleted member 1424

TNPI-"the saboteur"
The other of the flipped rationals, the TNPI has found a favored heuristic with which to destroy any system. This type prefers to destroy in service of a stronger whole, which it ironically knows will never be perfect or complete.

Seems fairly accurate actually.

Artifice Orisit

PNTI-"the qc"
This type uses a wild intellectual instinct to perfect systems, whether they were the originator or not. The weak TI creates ambivalence towards identity and logic.
I can be like this, when I'm tired, preferring to mull randomly rather than actively focus on something, it's unproductive but can sometimes result in astoundingly obscure insights, can degenerate into paranoia.

INTP comedians, I can do this at times but not always.

I am not familiar with this.

PTNI-"the cold shower"
With the inherent paradox of being a T-strong perciever, this type excels in using parsimony to reduce systems to a simplest metaphor. This activity can be sobering.
Although I do prefer to describe things metaphorically, the practice of reducing a situation to a single conclusive metaphor is uncommon for me, I literally haven't done it in years.

PTIN-"the collector"
The second in the physical/material subtype, the PTIN collects ideas into a centerless framework.
When browsing through a bookstore or reading literary theory, "sponging".

NPIT-"the niche maker"

NPTI-"the mediator"
With a kind, agreeable nature, this subtype wants to classify and sort much like the NPIT, but tries to do this from within whichever system is dominant.

NIPT-"the virus"
This identity subtype tries to infect others with a prevailing thought in order to create self-replicating satelites. The best memes are created by the NIPT.
Once or twice, while supporting the Transhumanist cause.

NITP-"the loyalist"
The first of our value-heavy subtypes, the NITP creates an identity through adherence to usually one thought-style or system-style (which may evolve slowly over the years), finding the similarity of all things within this frame.
I'm exactly like this with regards to personal ethics and standards.

One of two pure rationals-this type likes to win. It will usually win long before playing the game, having created and perfected the gaming system.
My initial attempt at "Demented" (a game on this forum) that prompted Anthile to alter the game so I couldn't go around manipulating world governments and stealing multi-billion dollar corporate empires when I was supposed to be attacking the other players... *sigh*

NTPI-"the arcologist"
The second of the pure rationals, the NTPI tends towards creating utopian architectures. It does this out of a strong intuition of global truth.
Unless we're talking about the establishment of an AI technocracy, but then instead of relying upon global truths I see it as a "we will cross that bridge when we get there" kind of situation, so not exactly the same.

INTP-"the unabomber"
With the strong sense of values and identity, this type leads to a greater truth by quiet example.

INPT-"bodhidharma"
I was once like this, but eventually got bored.

IPNT-"the deadhead"
Nemesis :borg:

IPTN-"the stoner"
Stoned or not, this type uses themselves as the basic element in their fantasy world. Consequently, they tend to make very self-indulgent frameworks to inhabit.
Habitually I use aspects of my own personality when creating in-story characters, an interesting way to study one's own flaws and the effect they're having upon one's life, although not always reliable.

ITNP-"slow burn"
Been there, got through it... barely.
Existential Depression, self deconstruction, introspective cynicism, etc.

ITPN-"the cutter"
I was too self restrained to ever allow my inner strife to become externalised, at least not in any form of physical activity.

Been here a lot, following a path of logic until it either turns back upon itself and becomes a circular logic paradox or eventuates into a regular paradox, usually the result of thinking about atheism/theism.

TNPI-"the saboteur"
Back when I was a hard-line atheist.

TIPN-"the ourobouros"
Probably the best way to describe where I am now.

TINP-"the silver bullet"
This subtype is always searching for the achilles' heel of a system, with the goal of being recognized as the person who brought it down.
Back when I was a hard-line atheist.

TPIN-"the stress test"
This type is the pure analyst who succeeds in dispassionately running simulations in their mind. These are the best visualizers out of all the 384 subtypes.
When wall-staring I'm like this, often hours can go by without notice.

TPNI-"the actuary"
This type is the most ambivalent of identity as well as the most logical of the subtypes. The pure debater.
When arguing for the sheer sake of arguing, an uncommon state but one that I greatly enjoy... although it tends to any the other participant, especially if they're a feeler and I'm completely ignoring who has the moral high ground in favour of a purely objective discussion.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
^^ like what you've done there, Cog - nice analysis. Yes, I think if I look at them all there are some which I am totally unfamiliar with and some I've been in the past or flip into occasionally.

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
-->
INPT-"bodhidharma"

....uhhh

yeaaaah

bullshit?

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
I didn't bother to test. I do know that my I and J are really low, and my N and T are really high.

Four things I often participate in:
4/5 said:
PTNI-"the cold shower"
I love metaphors, and dabble in poetry. I see both of these as being poet-related.
3/5 said:
NPIT-"the niche maker"
Kind related to making metaphors.
3/5 said:
There are a variety of board games that I have figured our near-perfect strategy for. I still don't always win, since there's luck involved, but I do well. I also really love the game Go, which feeds into the armchair general.
3/5 said:
INPT-"bodhidharma"
I do this a lot. Having a personality means having a punching bag for other people to strike. Get rid of the punching bag, and get rid of the strikes against you.

Three traits that participate in my spiritual identity:

5/5 said:
NITP-"the loyalist"
Yeah. I have my religion and it has me. I recognize that other systems exist, and respect them for being just as plausible as my own, but I still believe mine is the best.

2/5 said:
NTPI-"the arcologist"
Kind of. It supplements my Loyalist

4/5 said:
TINP-"the silver bullet"
What I would like to aspire to! I would claim to be this type, but I'm not sure that I'm going to go down the road to be... a silver bullet.

Reverse Transcriptase

Local time
-->
So I feel that we all have a little bit of each subtype. This is more of a "trait" thing more than an INTP type. I think it would be better to just consider that INTPs act in different ways, adhere to different philosophies of how to live, and get into habits of different styles of how to think, and how to deal with the world and themselves.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
I did the test that was linked from the link.
According to that:
P[86]T[70]I[68]N[59]

PTIN-"the collector"

According to my official results and my function results I would probably be something more like:

TPNI-"the actuary"

I do debate just for the heck of it sometimes. I also do plan to become an editor... It actually kind of meshes up well with my Strengths results.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
If I had to guess, I actually am INTP. The other slight possibility would be NITP, though I'm not defined by being a rule follower at all. I only follow the rules when it benefits me and others. But I suppose that's a personal rule so...

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
If we are going on our strongest letter down, then I am a TNIP.. I suppose that is the global paradox

Local time
-->
I am pretty much all the solipsists, also the context jumper and the reed in the wind too. Technically by my personality percentages, my P/N can switch in their order of dominance, making me the deadhead or the bodhidharma

bdubs

Local time
-->
I also took the test linked in the origional post with the outcome:
Introverted (I) 96%
Intuitive (N) 91%
Thinking (T) 90%
Perceiving (P) 73%

The results of the test were not that useful due to how close my I, N and T traits rank.(Of course I know this is not a test on the strength of these traits, but only the certaintly that these are my traits.) Either way I tested into

INTP-"the unabomber"

Coincidently, I do identify with this description, but I do not identify with this one nearly as much.

ITNP-"slow burn"

"Slow burn" was seperated from "unabomber" by an insignificant 1% in my results. While I'll be the first to admit that I spend a lot of time each day ruminating on my actions I have not experienced the mental state that highlights this sub-type.

It seems to me that I can relate to several of these subtype descriptions but do not feel a strong pull to any one in particular.

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
Do you know the original source of these descriptions?

aracaris

Local time
-->
Here's the results I got from the test linked to from that page:

Introverted: 100%
Intuitive: 82%
Thinking:70%
Perceiving: 59%

So just INTP

Now I know I'm a somewhat strong introvert, but I don't think I'm really quite THAT strong.

Entertaining, but I don't know about those descriptions being particularly accurate, and they are rather brief.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
I test as 95 or 100% introvert usually as well. I used to think it odd because I'm quite socially outgoing but actually I think it is more to do with the fact that my inner world is the place I tend to hang out even when I'm with other people.

aracaris

Local time
-->
Hmmm, well, I tend to do that too while I'm around people, so maybe 100% isn't quite as far off as I thought, though I don't think anyone is really 100% introvert.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
Hmmm, well, I tend to do that too while I'm around people, so maybe 100% isn't quite as far off as I thought, though I don't think anyone is really 100% introvert.

No, you're right - it just means you scored 100% on the items selected to test introversion rather than anything 'real' about you.

Having said that, I did find it interesting to look back at the introversion questions to see which ones other people might have *not* selected and wonder how they could do that! Some I could see I might occasionally be able to select but not as a general rule. There are some tests which give you the 'always' 'sometimes' 'never' option but I find they then skew the results and I end up being ENTP or ESFP which I am 100% sure I am not!!

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
My I is usually my weakest trait. My N use to be more primary than it is.

I guess if I borrow these subtypes... is okay?

Reverse Transcriptase

Local time
-->
I test as 95 or 100% introvert usually as well. I used to think it odd because I'm quite socially outgoing but actually I think it is more to do with the fact that my inner world is the place I tend to hang out even when I'm with other people.

Quoted for truth!

I find that a lot of my memories of being around others are strongly connected to what I was thinking at the moment.

There was a passage of a book talking about how limited human senses really are. "The field of vision for humans is excessively small, and you're really just looking at a small mental theatre inside your brain." I've been trying to change my point-of-view to be "outside" my mental theatre, and to recognize that "this is what my brain & eyes are displaying for me right now" but it just has such a strong presence in my mind!

JUN

Watching the Watchers
Local time
-->
Question: I'm both 95% intuitive, thinking and introvert... now what ?

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 12:27 PM
-->
Introverted (I) 96%
Intuitive (N) 86%
Thinking (T) 70%
Judging (J) 50%
(Perceiving (P) 50%)

I scored 50% J/P as usual. I wonder why it tells me I'm INTJ instead of telling me I could be either. Anyways, that means I'm the INTP- "the unabomber" With the strong sense of values and identity, this type leads to a greater truth by quiet example.

I don't think I have strong values and identity. Half the time I don't know who I am or what my opinions are. I agree it's not to be taken seriously, though. But the MBTI isn't perfectly accurate either. I do think it too have some general statements that other types could identify with.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
Introverted (I) 100% Extraverted (E) 0%
Intuitive (N) 82% Sensing (S) 18%
Thinking (T) 95% Feeling (F) 5%
Perceiving (P) 91% Judging (J) 9%

I guess that makes me ITPN.

I also think the idea of sub-groups is a good idea (and one of those things that I've constantly thought about getting around to thinking about) but jumbling up the letters is kind of a stupid way to do it... in MBTI theory, there's really no concept of an "I" or "P" function, they're merely describing the order of the other functions.

I think an idea for sub-groups would require taking the development of the other functions into account (example, for an INTP: Fi, Ni, Se, Te, and probably the shadow functions Fe and Si). That and these sub-groups seems sort of vague and don't have much orderliness to them.

Tunesimah

Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man
Local time
Today 5:27 AM
-->
IPNT-"the deadhead"

It fits I guess... I'm becoming more like a hippy as I get older.

I have the long hair now... I don't have any plans on getting into drugs though...

JUN

Watching the Watchers
Local time
-->
When your hair is long enough you'll have a sudden desire to do drugs, it'll come naturally. No need to plan it.

Top Bottom