• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

When humans become obsolete

TheTryHard

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:06 AM
-->
Humans Need Not Apply.
This video explains the effect that AI will have in the near future, But what after that? Eventually we will make an AI smarter than any human, after that point the AI will be more eligible make an even better AI. The AI's will eventually exceed humans' performance in every possible task, making humans obsolete.

AI's will be better at making every important decision, factoring in morality, indiscrimination and any other human emotions we might make them obey. They will be better at doing the menial tasks as well. At some point they will be better at most if not all interpersonal tasks.

Suppose we manage to keep the AI loyal to humans and have it make us a world where there is plenty for everyone. Suppose no war occurs as the result of the controversy of making ourselves obsolete. Suppose no selfish human in power at any point decides to discriminate somehow because he doesn't like the idea of deserving as much as any and every other human on the planet.

Even if nothing goes terribly wrong, which, if we were to learn from history, is highly unlikely, the future is bleak. We are already overpopulating the planet and show no signs of stopping. The most common reason for not having kids is either being too busy, being too poor, medical reasons or seeing the process as too hard. All four reasons will be completely eliminated in the near future.

So what do we have now? An extremely overpopulated planet and people with no purpose just endlessly indulging in mindless pleasures until they die. We will be useless, incapable and unimportant.

What is humanity going to do? A big part of the commercial industry is already focused on maximizing our perceived pleasure by abusing our more primal desires, and the AI will be much better at that. The meaningless pleasures (Video games, food, sex etc.) is all that will be left to the meaningless humans.

At that poin, why is that better than just injecting dopamine, serotonin, endorphins and other pleasure hormones in the brain. Why would anyone live in the overpopulated world where you have no purpose instead of in an amazing virtual reality that you can't tell apart from the real world. What is even the point of extending the existence of useless humans just to have them born and artificially satisfied until they die.

One answer that might cross your mind is transhumanism. But it faces the same problem: Transhumans won't want to do menial tasks and an entirely separate system will eventually always be smarter than an upgraded human, making any transhumans who want to make decisions that affect anyone else instead of an AI selfish. That makes transhumans equally useless, and their existance too eventually boils down to being pleasured until you expire.

An argument could be made that everybody living in a virtual reality isn't so bad, but then what's the point and the logistics of reproducing actual humans, when you can just as easily have better, virtual kids running in the simulation indefinitely.

Another option is to reduce the population by limiting the amount of kids you're allowed to have. Suppose humans don't rebel against this. AI can then make the reality almost as amazing as the virtual world.

So it boils down to either the overpopulated planet with everyone in the virtual world, population regulated life in the real one, something going terribly wrong along the way or making AI illegal in the near future, which would drastically reduce the living standard and make us not stand a chance should we ever get in a way of another exponentially self improving AI, but is the least grim looking future (not in my opinion, but it would probably win if it was democratically put to a vote).

This really makes me question some things. What is the point of making a difference or any form of life falling under the conventional definition of "meaningful". We(again, not me but probably the general population) are generally repelled by living in a virtual world or having an AI take care of everything and would prefer working our asses off, worrying about financial and medical problems etc.. Is that just normative social influence and could the same be used to make people believe AI's are a good thing? Are they? What is the best future for humanity and what is the likely one?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:06 AM
-->
Humans are constantly becoming obsolete, it's called evolution.

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
Today 6:06 AM
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
I'm obsolete since i didn't study an engineer career like my engineer dad would have liked
I'm trying to get by tho
But the process hurts specially socially speaking

ygnextend

Local time
Yesterday 11:06 PM
-->
WE ARE SLIGHTLY BECOMING OBSOLETE. I AM LEARNING HOW TO CODE AND ITS AMAZING.. I THINK ANYONE WHO IS INTP OR HAS A PROBLEM AROUND PEOPLE WILL EXCEL IN THE FIELD. AND IT WORKS OUT GREAT BECAUSE TECH JOBS NEED TO BE FILLED BUT NO ONE TO FILL IT.

I SEE IT AS A WIN-WIN; SLIGHTLY.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Ah, the new manifest destiny :D

Bring it on!!!

Deleted member 1424

The end of humanity is really the best we can hope for. If ai are better in every conceivable aspect, then the future belongs to them. Let them have it.

Either there is a superior successor to humanity (engineered neo-humans, AI, or a new intelligence devoid of our influence) and we probably die off to make way or there is no successor and we definitely die from the consequences of our short sightedness. Humanity is only important to (some) members of humanity. We are ultimately insignificant. Fretting for its sake is energy wasted.

Sir Eus Lee

I am wholely flattered you would take about 2 and
Local time
-->
Tasks such as learning and self development are things AI can't do for a human. Direct, sensual or otherwise, pleasure isn't necessarily the only place to go when necessities are taken care of.

I think Ai will serve to aid humans in their development.

Beyond that, I don't know.

There's the assumption here that AI will reach that point, which is pure speculation. We don't know the limits of AI, and right now we havent developed a way for any program to develop another program, or at least not one versatile enough to do anything special.

Once we create AI that can create AI which can create larger AI than itself, then this would be a question of necessity rather than theory. But if it's simply theory then we might as well ask, how far can Ai go and what will, potentially, be it's most used function?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:06 PM
-->
I don't humans would be obsolete. Instead, I would wager with the neo-human angle instead. AI will complement our grey matter by taking care of unnecessary things such as maintaining homeostasis while our brains dedicate itself in developing better tech.

In short we're going to be Tech Priests!

I also don't find the argument about entertainment and resources being satisfying. Entertainment-wise we'll probably just find new ways to pass the time or find something better to do altogether. After all, we we're able to progress by delegating certain tasks. For example, we might have enough time to develop philosophy, economics etc, if we hadn't invented writing.

Resource-wise we simply would lose on principle due to the law of thermodynamics anyways unless somebody figures out how to reverse entropy.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
-->
What does this idea even mean? Since humans determine what it means to be obsolete then wouldn't it be impossible unless all humans didn't exist? Unless your suggesting that human subjective value can be rendered obsolete by a third party. Sounds like mystical or religious thinking, but maybe that's whats make us human in the first place.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
When humans become obsolete

Forest Gump said it best "I just felt like running".

When A.I. becomes smarter than humans it will not be motivated by lack or scarcity. Some A.I. will be human like but other A.I. will be scripted. That is to say some A.I. will be conscious / self aware and other A.I. will be automatic i.e. the psychologically awareness of Eliza simmileir to cortana or siri. Such A.I. will be impersonal but fool lots of people. These automated A.I. will help in schooling and education. But it will take virtual intelligence such as virtual humans that will have a personality that can be designed to fit any human personality.

The biological aspects of me such as kids might not result in my genes being passed on. It depends on why do i have such low intelligence that would be worth passing on. Gene editing would make it possible to create designer babies but that would make them unrelated to me genetically. I do want kids though even with low intelligence because of my personality. The thing is that I would want them to have a reason for living that is not just consumerism. Definitely they will have an A.I. with an IQ of 200 that would be a personal teacher. That would be a huge advantage right now but rather common in the future. Space colonization might be a reason for having kids.

I do think that my biology could be improved by personal genomics reading. It all has to do with biological regulation. Gene editing and food intake / nutrition. If I had a personal A.I. assitant I would exorcise more, like running ;) and this would keep me healthy and smart. If I had better health then I would have fun learning things. Right now I eat unhealthy stuff and I just don't feel that well most of the time. But when I feel well I don't feel like I am obsolete or that what I am doing is pointless. It's only because of mental illness that we feel useless. A.I. will help us get into the flow state. I want to learn things and I believe there will be an A.I. that will help me learn Atlantean.

Top Bottom