• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What's your favorite region of the US?!

What's your favorite region of the US?!?

• Total voters

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:47 PM
-->
I apologize to all intpf members who aren't/haven't been to the US/America, it's just the majority of you are so I'm making this thread/poll!

So what is your favorite region and why?
South East (Inclusive of bible belt and most southern states)?
South West (AZ, TX, OK, NM)?
West coast ?
Mid West?
North East?

Don't forget to say why!!!

I've lived in:
North Carolina (East coast/bible belt)
Florida (Not true bible belt/south, but Fl anyway)
Colorado (Mid-west)
California (West Coast)
And been to a lot of other places (both in US and other countries)
but I'm curious to see what other people think! (Both stationary/never moved to travelers all the same!
What are your biases/beliefs on each of the regions?
Sorry if I "missed out" on any :P

Also, I would've preferred to break it up like this: http://www.eia.gov/consumption/commercial/images/cendivco.gif
but I did it in 5 just for some more simplicity. So feel free to bring up specific states in general!

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
Today 1:47 PM
-->
Southwest because it's so otherwordly and beautiful...west coast for the culture/intelligence/tolerance of the population.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
Mojave Desert and piped-in gas/water are the only things I miss about the US.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Born and mostly raised on the West Coast. I like to be near the ocean and prefer the Pacific.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 4:47 PM
-->
Born and raised in rural PA. I tend to miss it when I'm gone, but I love many areas of the country, for various reasons, and would like to spend time in them all.

I haven't really explored the midwest yet, or the Montana/Wyoming areas. I'd like to spend more time out west if possible, in the mountainous regions, seeing the deserts, etc.

I never felt anything for the ocean until a few years ago when I visited the Oregon coast near Arcadia and Cannon Beach (along that stretch) and fell in love. I could just sit there and watch the ocean for hours, or sit there and read/work/do whatever within eye and earshot of it.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Southwest because it's so otherwordly and beautiful
Oh my god are you one of those desert <3 people. I love the scenery...for about five minutes, then I'm outta there.
.west coast for the culture/intelligence/tolerance of the population.
I do love the tolerance, as far as intelligence...ig you could say a lot of people but not 'most' or anything. And culture, eh if you're into that I can definitely see why.

Mojave Desert and piped-in gas/water are the only things I miss about the US.
Aghh more desert people >_<, where are you living at now?

Born and mostly raised on the West Coast. I like to be near the ocean and prefer the Pacific.
Of course, I'm getting all West coasters here, but thank god someone who loves the ocean <3

Born and raised in rural PA. I tend to miss it when I'm gone, but I love many areas of the country, for various reasons, and would like to spend time in them all.
Only been by once, seems fun.
I haven't really explored the midwest yet, or the Montana/Wyoming areas. I'd like to spend more time out west if possible, in the mountainous regions, seeing the deserts, etc.
Meh, depending on what you're into, it's heaven (skiing, snowboarding, hiking, rock climbing, MOAB, 4wheeling, kayak/canoeing etc) or just boring - depending.
I never felt anything for the ocean until a few years ago when I visited the Oregon coast near Arcadia and Cannon Beach (along that stretch) and fell in love. I could just sit there and watch the ocean for hours, or sit there and read/work/do whatever within eye and earshot of it.
I'm a pure beach boy down to the core...(NC,FL,Cali) What do they all have in common?! THE BEACH COAST! (Didn't mention HI, because that's obvious)Then CO ugh landlocked, don't get me wrong the mountains look beautiful...but yeah, I'm getting back to the beach soon, or I'll die trying.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
Today 9:47 PM
-->
Born and raised in rural PA..

I got stuck in a ditch there once.

I live in and spent much of my childhood in the UK, but I spent about a year and a half in the US, in NYC. I don't particularly like cities, but I love the Northeast. People who don't live there assume that it is nothing but cities, but I spent some time in rural New York and Connecticut, and it is beautiful. Not a New Jersey fan, although the shore can be fun. Vermont has fascinated me since I had to do a project on it during my one full year in an American school.

I've also been to the West Coast: Oregon and Washington. It sort of reminds me of England: wet. The people there are interesting, though, and very laid-back and enjoyable.

As for the Southeast, I've been to Maryland, which is nice. I like Baltimore and I went to the Havre de Grace Decoy Museum, which was fantastic. I've spent a grand total of 48 hours in Florida, which I enjoyed, but overall the South is too hot.

I spent a week in Indiana. There was a drought. It was unpleasant, but I could imagine it as being quite beautiful. Never been to the Southwest.

SW

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I live in and spent much of my childhood in the UK, but I spent about a year and a half in the US, in NYC. I don't particularly like cities, but I love the Northeast. People who don't live there assume that it is nothing but cities, but I spent some time in rural New York and Connecticut, and it is beautiful. Not a New Jersey fan, although the shore can be fun. Vermont has fascinated me since I had to do a project on it during my one full year in an American school.
Cool :) I've been to parts of Europe, but not the UK. I concur with you on our love of the Northeast.
I've also been to the West Coast: : wet.
Sums it up.
As for the Southeast, I've been to Maryland, which is nice. I like Baltimore and I went to the Havre de Grace Decoy Museum, which was fantastic. I've spent a grand total of 48 hours in Florida, which I enjoyed, but overall the South is too hot.
Ugh, not even the heat, it's the humidity.

GodOfOrder

Local time
-->
I've been trapped in WV and the surrounding tristate area of MD and PA for my whole life. It is really pretty, I like the far reaching green expanse of forests and hills. But the people are dull, and there is no such thing as civilization. Not one damn thing to do outside my house, and the internet is shoddy at best.

I'd like to go north, to a place like Boston or New York, where I can live in a thriving Metropolis.

I value stimulus over seclusion, and convenience over all (culture, art, non septic plumbing are all a part of it). I am an introvert, yes, but I am more alone in a crowd of thousands that don't care, than in a small town where everybody pries.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I've been trapped in WV and the surrounding tristate area of MD and PA for my whole life. It is really pretty, I like the far reaching green expanse of forests and hills. But the people are dull, and there is no such thing as civilization. Not one damn thing to do outside my house, and the internet is shoddy at best.
Yeah WV is still South-south, it's a bit different but def still southern. Beautiful forests and mountains as you say but the people meh.
I'd like to go north, to a place like Boston or New York, where I can live in a thriving Metropolis.
WOOP! More for the north/east!
I value stimulus over seclusion, and convenience over all (culture, art, non septic plumbing are all a part of it). I am an introvert, yes, but I am more alone in a crowd of thousands that don't care, than in a small town where everybody pries.
I feel you...Lived in enough small towns to hate them all, even when compared with cities/metropolis major setbacks/cons I despise small towns.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->

Precisely.

GodOfOrder

Local time
-->
@TimeAsylums

I feel you...Lived in enough small towns to hate them all, even when compared with cities/metropolis major setbacks/cons I despise small towns.

exactly

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@TimeAsylums

exactly

Lol someone who doesn't see it or agree is likely to be like
"What why? I love the small feel, you know all your neighbors, you know everyone"

Except that's a giant freaking contradiction.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
Always near the water, from gulf coast to the Atlantic seaboard. If Texas counts as southwest then I've lived in the southwest, otherwise always the southeast. Spent 6 months in the northeast and did not like it.

I can imagine myself being happier on the west coast but I can imagine lots of things that don't actually turn out to be true.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Always near the water
Thank you <3
Share the same perspective.
Spent 6 months in the northeast and did not like it.
Curious as to why? Was it the cold/weather? Was it the people? The feel? The Culture?
I can imagine myself being happier on the west coast but I can imagine lots of things that don't actually turn out to be true.
There's always a lot of "The grass is always greener..." everywhere you go, but there is a difference. Like "Wherever you go....there you are" etc stuff, but people and other stuff do make a difference.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
It was Providence Rhode Island in the winter. That's sufficient isn't it? ;)

I have cousins in western Mass. and I like visiting. Very scenic. Just not my cup of tea as far as living there would go.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It was Providence Rhode Island in the winter. That's sufficient isn't it? ;)

Haha yes it is. I'm not much a fan of the cold/winter either (probably would be if I skiied or snowboarded, but...I don't so lol)
I have cousins in western Mass. and I like visiting. Very scenic. Just not my cup of tea as far as living there would go.
I understand...a very beautiful place.

Nezaros

Highly Irregular
Local time
-->
I've lived in Virginia, Florida, and Colorado. Virginia's decent, nice and temperate, Florida was too hot for my tastes, and I love Colorado's mountains and snow but overall the weather is too schizophrenic for my taste. Mostly just the summer, actually. I hate heat.

I voted West because I like the relatively high Asian population (Better food) and though I've never actually been to the Pacific Northwest, it seems like the sole part of the country I would truly love.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I've lived in Virginia, Florida, and Colorado. Virginia's decent, nice and temperate
Nice. I'm trying to get to DC/Northern VA at the moment.
Florida was too hot for my tastes, and I love Colorado's mountains and snow but overall the weather is too schizophrenic for my taste.
X_X Get Summer, Winter, Fall, and Spring in one day, yep. Wake up, it's 30, by 11 its 80, by 2 its back down in the 60s raining, in the night it falls again.
Mostly just the summer, actually. I hate heat.
I actually prefer heat(and even some humidity) to coldness -> Shirt off > shirt on.

I voted West because I like the relatively high Asian population (Better food) and though I've never actually been to the Pacific Northwest, it seems like the sole part of the country I would truly love.
Agreed on the food part <3, idt I could handle Washington's constant rain and dreariness...I mean highest suicide rate in the country naw thanks.

Nezaros

Highly Irregular
Local time
-->
I actually prefer heat(and even some humidity) to coldness -> Shirt off > shirt on.

I prefer wearing pants and jackets to shorts and t-shirts, but to each their own.

Agreed on the food part <3, idt I could handle Washington's constant rain and dreariness...I mean highest suicide rate in the country naw thanks.

This is a huge difference between me and... everybody else I know. I absolutely love rain and general precipitation, and if a week went by without the Sun shining I would be ecstatic. Plus, high suicide rate means more food for me.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->
I really enjoy the south west. Arizona is my home. I've been to a few different places in the US. But this is the place I'm most comfortable. Although with the 119 degree day, that I had to deliver pizza on, in my car without A/C, for 8 hours, is a bit much.

Is there a place that stays between 80 and 100, and is dry like like a desert?

Local time
Today 9:47 PM
-->
I'm attached to north-central Appalachia, but the Northmidweast (Great Lakes)... West coast in its entirety... Utah isn't half bad, and the Delmarva peninsula. I assume Colorado isn't half bad either.

All of this is mostly based on geography/naturalistic features.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I like water so anywhere close to the water is good.

I grew up in Michigan near Lake Michigan by the border of Indiana.

Its a nice area.

When I went to college I moved to northern Michigan (The U.P. of Michigan) near Lake Superior it was quite beautiful and I loved the area.

I now live in Maine near the ocean. Its actually a appears a lot like U.P. Very Rocky and a huge body of water that appears to go on forever. The only difference between the two is one is saltwater and the fresh.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
I've been everywhere except New England and the Great Lake states. My favorite? Alaska is hands down where my heart abides.

As for the places actually listed on the poll: North West. West in and of itself is not specific enough for me. San Diego California and Astoria Oregon might as well be different countries.

I'm currently enjoying some downtime in the weird but welcoming arms of Portland Oregon.

Top Bottom