• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What type is most likely to type Dvorak?

Tunesimah

Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man
Local time
Today 4:05 PM
-->
It seems like most people, even cool intuitive types... seem to have problems with typing Dvorak. It seems like most don't even consider that the QWERTY keyboard is so awful. The ubiquity of it makes it okay to work with it... you just accept it as a fact of life and move on.

But I personally hate the QWERTY design, and the fact that such a bad design is forced onto me annoys me. So when I learned about the Dvorak keyboard I ran to it and embraced it fully.

Is this a particularly INTP thing to do? Have any of you switched or see the benefit in switching? What types would be personally offended by the switch to Dvorak?

Could the reaction of a person to the QWERTY/Dvorak debate be a good indicator of type?

*For those who don't know, Dvorak is a different arrangement of the keyboard keys. It is designed to have more common letters on the home row, more left/right action and more inward motion (outside fingers to inside fingers).

dvorak.png

The Lurker

fighting the power
Local time
-->
I actually taught myself how to type when I was very young. I'm not sure how to decribe it. I basically use my middle, index, and ring fingers almost exclusively and sort of dart around the keyboard, knowing where everything is. I've become so accustomed to it that when I was forced to type "properly" as ordained by some 'supreme keyboarding authority' in my 6th grade typing class, I was positively awful at it. I was quite glad at the end of that school year to be out of that class.

I've never had any issue with the QWERTY keyboard, perhaps because of my unusual typing style.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 3:05 PM
-->
I didn't realize there were alternative keyboard arrangements out there, but I think learning one would be quite inconvenient. Every time you want to type on someone else's computer you're forced to look at the keys... I'm all about universality. And I'm a pretty quick typer with the original arrangement anyways.

To answer your question, I think intj's would be most likely to use an alternative keyboard arrangement. They'd judge it to be superior, and stick to it because they like using the best methods. I'm sure several INTPs also use it, though.

Side note: DAMMIT RYAN YOU STOLE MY BLUE.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 10:05 PM
-->
I'd like to try a dvorak keyboard, but the keyboard I've got now has a smart touchpad on the side which is brilliant and now I've got used to it I'd hate using any keyboard without it

The Lurker

fighting the power
Local time
-->
I didn't realize there were alternative keyboard arrangements out there, but I think learning one would be quite inconvenient. Every time you want to type on someone else's computer you're forced to look at the keys... I'm all about universality. And I'm a pretty quick typer with the original arrangement anyways.

To answer your question, I think intj's would be most likely to use an alternative keyboard arrangement. They'd judge it to be superior, and stick to it because they like using the best methods. I'm sure several INTPs also use it, though.

Side note: DAMMIT RYAN YOU STOLE MY BLUE.

:(

I'm sorry.

RobertJ

Local time
-->
I can only imagine that people with very low dexterity or fat fingers would have trouble with a QWERTY setup (which requires more finger movement because they common letters are scattered about).

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
-->
I have a dvorack keyboard... on this laptop.

My other two computers have QWERTY keyboards. I hardly use the Dvorack setup. Of course, my first computer was an E-Machine and it came with a qwerty keyboard.

I'd like to use both, like how I use both Ubuntu and Vista.

But not Mac....

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
Today 3:05 PM
-->
I'd like to use a dvorak keyboard, but it's just impractical, since anywhere you go currently will have qwerty.

I wouldn't want to get confused between swapping keyboards constantly, but then, I'm not sure I would get confused necessarily.

It just doesn't seem worth the effort, unless it becomes the new standard. Like trying to use HD Players in a bluray standard world. (Well, assuming HD was the better format, which, I don't think it was IIRC, but I could be wrong. Whereas Dvorak is a keyboard designed specifically for best function, qwerty is just a remnant from typewriters, for jam-prevention, I think, not designed for comfort / efficiency)

I can only imagine that people with very low dexterity or fat fingers would have trouble with a QWERTY setup (which requires more finger movement because they common letters are scattered about).

That kind of entirely misses the point.

UppyDownyMouth

Giant Squid
Local time
-->
why is it called dvorak?

this is the first time ive seen this keyboard and i can tell you im unequivocally disgusted by it. If i use anyones compy (or lappy) that has this keyboard i will instantly shout at them.

:cat:

UppyDownyMouth

Giant Squid
Local time
-->
yeah cheers for that chris.

also Tunesimah, i do like your sombrero.

Tunesimah

Local time
-->
yeah cheers for that chris.

also Tunesimah, i do like your sombrero.

Thanks!

Another reason I switched to Dvorak was to see how long it would take me to relearn typing. It took me about a month... of semi-casual before I regained about 95% of my speed.

There was a middle stage where I wasn't fully Dvorak, wasn't fully Qwerty that was very strange to push through.

Most computer OS have an easy setting to switch the keyboard so I don't find it a problem that often. And it's a cool trick to really mess with people's heads as they try to use a computer... I've switched some computers around campus and forgot to switch back. At best I just have to memorize how to type my passwords in two different ways, then once I log in I can change it.

The most inconvenient part of typing Dvorak is learning keyboard shortcuts. Cut Copy Paste, loses it's one handed convenience. Also I have to go into my mental Dvorak image to learn where the letters are... for other hotkeys... a bit annoying.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 5:05 AM
-->
One thing about dvorak is that it doesn't take different finger lengths into account. So you have to curve your fingers like you're playing the piano, because most letters are on the home row. Not necessarily bad because that's learnt easily.

Qwerty isn't actually that bad, because the commonly used letters are placed far apart. The hand division of dvorak wins hands down, though. Dvorak is also primarily tailored to the English language, though I think there are equivalent layouts for other languages.

I didn't actually learn to touch type and my key pressing style is slightly random (sometimes both hands move to the same side of the keyboard - probably the result of piano playing), so qwerty is ok, though I believe Dvorak would be more comfortable.

I guess all that's keeping me from switching is inertia, really.

Tunesimah said:
The most inconvenient part of typing Dvorak is learning keyboard shortcuts.
But you can change those (in many apps), though that'd be slightly inconvenient too.

UppyDownyMouth

Giant Squid
Local time
-->
the iphone doesnt have the option i checked last night, but my concern would be not having the same dexterity on a QWERTY, thats they keyboard youre going to encounter almost everywhere. The QWERTY might have been made to slow down typists and Dvorak has had a bit more thought put into it but for me it will always remain the beta max of the keyboard world

Local time
-->
i have never heard of it, but it looks like a pain in the ass

as far as i'm concerned, 'Dvorak' was a Romantic era Classical composer...

Tunesimah

Local time
-->

Aiss

int p;
Local time
Today 11:05 PM
-->
QWERTY is the pain in the ass... who puts a semicolon on the home row under one of your main fingers? Dumb...

Someone who writes in C, or any similar programming language, probably would ;).

Tunesimah

Local time
-->
Someone who writes in C, or any similar programming language, probably would ;).

Which came first, C or QWERTY? Obviously C was designed around the limitations of QWERTY not the other way around... :rolleyes:

;)

Aiss

int p;
Local time
Today 11:05 PM
-->
Which came first, C or QWERTY? Obviously C was designed around the limitations of QWERTY not the other way around... :rolleyes:

;)

That's why I said they would, not did.

QWERTY really isn't so bad for typing in English, you know. Try using 'z' in every other word.

wadlez

Local time
Tomorrow 6:35 AM
-->
Wow guys thats really interesting. Lets all anounce that we currently use qwerty keyboards and cant be bothered switching to dvorak. Please tell me about what keyboard you have at home at the moment!
I like how the thread starts of about what mbti type is more likely to make the change, then people just ignore it and instead point out the blatently obvious problems of transition to dvorak and enthral us with storys of the keyboard they use at home
:elephant:Fantastic:elephant:

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
Wow guys thats really interesting. Lets all anounce that we currently use qwerty keyboards and cant be bothered switching to dvorak. Please tell me about what keyboard you have at home at the moment!
I like how the thread starts of about what mbti type is more likely to make the change, then people just ignore it and instead point out the blatently obvious problems of transition to dvorak and enthral us with storys of the keyboard they use at home
:elephant:Fantastic:elephant:

Well I said I would like to change to dvorak which is relevant to the topic, and I had to give a reason why I haven't changed to dvorak even though I want to

:elephant:

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 6:35 PM
-->
as far as i'm concerned, 'Dvorak' was a Romantic era Classical composer...

Same! I thought this thread was about "what type would be most likely to try to 'type' (by MBTI standards) Dvorak, the composer?" It confused me until I actually opened the thread...

In any case, I'd say INTJs would be the most likely candidate - I just can't seem to picture any other type making the commitment to learn and stick with something that's incredibly impractical, just because it's "better".

I don't think I could be bothered to make the switch, unless the Dvorak Revolution occurred overnight and it suddenly became the new standard.

Android

Solyaris
Local time
Today 2:05 PM
-->
I tried out Dvorak a couple years ago and liked it, but I ended up needing to type a lot and switched back to Qwerty to get some stuff off my plate. A couple of weeks ago I started using Colemak and I find it perfect so far. Went up from 80ish wpm on Qwerty to 120ish on Colemak after 2 weeks so far. Being a writer, and currently working on a novella I feel the need to type faster in order to get my ideas out before I lose them. Though my experience is limited with Dvorak I'd say Colemak is better.

Top Bottom