• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What makes you cringe like crazy?

Fuxor300

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:39 AM
-->
I just tried to have my browser read me threads on this board because my eyes started getting really tired. The only problem being that my browser is set to german. What ensued gave me the biggest laugh while simultaneously making me cringe so hard, I had to curl up in my chair.

what made you cringe in the past weeks / in general?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:39 AM
-->
Thinking about social interactions I've had of late.

And also: ASMR videos.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 1:09 PM
-->
Michael G. Scott

The office is still one of my favourite shows, but I regularly have to take a break mid episode to cool my cringe.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 8:39 PM
-->
Michael G. Scott

The office is still one of my favourite shows, but I regularly have to take a break mid episode to cool my cringe.

I've seen someone say this before but it's odd to me. I would think people find Dwight to be the more cringy character as he doesn't develop redeemable qualities until the end of the show.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 1:39 PM
-->
Michael G. Scott

The entire show is awful and I haven't watched it.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
Dwight? I can't get enough of Dwight. Absolutely hilarious.

While at first I found your comment odd, in how unrelatable it is, it did make me think... And now I can't put my finger on exactly why it's okay for Dwight to be socially undeveloped but not okay for Michael to be. I tried to write an explanation out but it came out a jumble T.T

I think it's to do with their understanding of their own motives. Nothing makes me less comfortable than someone who thinks they are something that they are obviously not. This says absolutely nothing about my greatest fears *CRIIIINGE*

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 8:39 PM
-->
Dwight? I can't get enough of Dwight. Absolutely hilarious.

While at first I found your comment odd, in how unrelatable it is, it did make me think... And now I can't put my finger on exactly why it's okay for Dwight to be socially undeveloped but not okay for Michael to be. I tried to write an explanation out but it came out a jumble T.T

I think it's to do with their understanding of their own motives. Nothing makes me less comfortable than someone who thinks they are something that they are obviously not. This says absolutely nothing about my greatest fears *CRIIIINGE*

How does this not apply to Dwight though?

Michael says socially inept things on purpose which makes him seem hilariously dorky or stupid but as the show goes on that's what makes him endearing. He stands between heartless corporate and tries his best to keep people focused on the work instead of the stressful issues. He's also actually a great salesman, and people-person when in one on one conversations.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
haHAA im 12 and cringe at everything haHAA

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
When Dwight expresses an unrealistic sentiment it's... more removed? He'll take cues from pop-culture, or some backwards-arse superstition. He's also not suffering nearly as much when things go wrong, and he's also competent within the domains that matter to him.

Compare to Michael, who thinks he's at paragon levels of business success, when he's the exemplar for the Peter Principle. Yes he's great at sales, but he doesn't do sales anymore. He makes an action movie but people think it's a parody. It's far more cringe-worthy to think you've attained something when you haven't, than to strive for something and never quite achieve it.

Case and point, I just got marks back for an assignment I thought I'd got an HD on. Apparently I read the question wrong, and scraped a credit. The discrepancy between my expectations and the eventual reality hurts at a near spiritual level, and watching Michael is like watching someone boast about writing an HD assignment when you know they're not getting that mark...

every

single

episode

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Watching the TV series 'Nathan for You' makes me cringe like crazy, but in the absolute best way possible!

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 10:39 PM
-->

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 5:39 PM
-->
Seeing people or animals get tortured usually does it. Sick internet stuff like goatse as well. Sometimes seeing people play social roles like some kind of dog can be cringey too.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 5:39 AM
-->
when nurse take blood and it's so thick that she need to pump syringe several times to get required amount. I fainted once seeing this process on my father.

The Grey Man

τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει
Local time
Yesterday 10:39 PM
-->
Impressions that I associate with pain of such high intensity as I've never experienced, like those of people getting burned alive, mauled by wildcats, or compound fractures.

I wonder if, assuming panpsychism is right and mental states are ubiquitous, suffering is also ubiquitous. I wonder if I could, despite instinct, accept, even choose some profound future suffering of mine as a necessary part of the infinite tapestry of experience with martyr-like grace. I want to be a zealot, I crave certitude in the sublimation of my will, its harmony with a duty attendant to my self, implicit in creation itself, but I won't allow myself to indulge in it until I believe there to be adequate (i.e. self-evident, following Leibniz's theory of truth as tautology) definition for it (the prospects of which seem very dismal at this point due to prohibitive epistemological barriers and plausible ontological theories that negate the ethical significance of choices), for the most basic of these duties must be to discern the others, otherwise they can only be accidentally fulfilled by the will; the sublimation is false. Hence my research, the progress of which has so far been distracted by the allure of "intellectual lotus plants" like the Internet, alcohol, video games, etc.

I joined the army out of high school expecting to serve with people like me who wanted to understand duty, but what I found was a corporation dominated by vacuous professionalism fetishists, materialists, and careerists that pretended to be the credible armed forces of a country that was content to rely on the U.S. for defence.

Now, with my views irreconcilable with those of society and the military, I don't know what to do except chase what might be the mirage of a more perfect understanding of the universe.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:39 AM
-->
Holy mother of God. I have finally found it. When I saw the title of this video, I just knew.. The thing I have been looking for all this time, it is here.

Scientists, alchemists, you name it – countless great minds throughout history have tried to capture the essence of cringe. I believe today, that goal has been reached. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you – cringe in its purest form:

Top Bottom