• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What is a social group?

Local time
Today 10:36 PM
-->
Memory is interesting.

Memory is the continuation of a flow of information through time. Genetics is the same in this respect (as is, arguably, quantum mechanics as well). This hints at grouping extending as a natural phenomenon beyond humans and society, into physics and synchronicity. Now, at this level, are we aware of it? I'd assume the answer is yes, assuming it can be observed and recognized; but even if we're not aware, that doesn't mean it isn't true.

not

Local time
Today 5:36 PM
-->
I concur. Social groups occur as natural phenomenon and exist separate from your own consciousness. You could belong to a group and not be aware of it. But I think someone, person, god, the universe, has to be conscious of the groupings for them to have any 'meaning.'

Local time
-->
I concur. Social groups occur as natural phenomenon and exist separate from your own consciousness. You could belong to a group and not be aware of it. But I think someone, person, god, the universe, has to be conscious of the groupings for them to have any 'meaning.'
So... Now I have to. :D

1. Are atoms social? Is the bird conscious of the flock? Is it conscious of greater levels of organization; population, species, etc? (<-All rhetorical)
2. Reciprocal causality resolves the problem in red.

:elephant:

inhibitions

Secretly Holden Caulfield
Local time
-->
Social groups=security blanket.

Think about it. Why do other animals travel in large herds? Why do gangs recruit new members?

People fear other people in large numbers.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Yet you can't go around living in fear, it's not like it'll just go away because you've suddenly realized it's irrational, it's too deeply rooted for that, at least for most people it is.

Thus one ought to select social groups carefully, aiming not only for yield in the form of social parachutes to prevent unwanted freefalls, but also for specific content to spur intellectual growth; furthermore, internet forums make for effective "Third place"ish output channels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place), especially for oddballs.

inhibitions

Secretly Holden Caulfield
Local time
-->
Yet you can't go around living in fear, it's not like it'll just go away because you've suddenly realized it's irrational, it's too deeply rooted for that, at least for most people it is.

Thus one ought to select social groups carefully, aiming not only for yield in the form of social parachutes to prevent unwanted freefalls, but also for specific content to spur intellectual growth; furthermore, internet forums make for effective "Third place"ish output channels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_place), especially for oddballs.

Point taken.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
I think the level of knowledge in that case is quite akin to a positive particle knowing when it's close to a negative one though :P But but, tis knowledge nonetheless.

Top Bottom