• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What Gender Are You Internally?

What Gender Are You Internally?

• Neutral - I don't feel strongly that I have a gender.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • 100% Male

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • 100% Female

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • 20% Male, 80% Neutral

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 20% Female, 80% Neutral

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 50/50 - I feel like both in general.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • 20% Male, 80% Female

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • 20% Female, 80% Male

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

Shieru

rational romantic
Local time
Today 1:33 AM
-->
A recent conversation brought up an interesting question about INTPs; do we tend to identify with a certain gender mentally/emotionally (regardless of what gender we are physically).

It seems that, in general, rationality is thought of as a masculine trait, and emotion/empathy is thought of as feminine. (This is the case in Western society at least, I'm unsure about how the perspectives of other cultures may vary).

I've always felt rather gender neutral, or at least don't identify myself principally as "female", or "male" for that matter. It's always seemed to me that human intelligence lends itself to enjoyment of thought in some individuals, regardless of gender.

So, I wonder what the experience for other INTPs is.. how would you rate yourself?

Local time
Today 8:33 AM
-->
Generally neutral but there are times when I'm strongly aware of myself as female
(I voted 5th option)

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 9:33 AM
-->
very male currently. but there are frequent moments where i wonder if honing my female traits would have let me cope better. i was labelled "sensitive" and "unmanly" quite a lot during my childhood and early adolescence. a more tolerant society would perhaps have allowed me to develop and actualize those tendencies instead of inhibiting myself overall. or maybe giggling, finding stuff cute and asking a lot of questions just isn't what a man oughta be doing.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
Today 3:33 AM
-->
Same as Bronto. I still like to skip around and appreciate elegance of movement. I also have developed a habit of having a higher tone of voice, even though it is naturally a lot lower. This also happens when I try to sing. I also tended to have things in common neither with the girls nor with the boys as I was growing up.

My persona and the way I operate in general is pretty masculine, though. Sometimes I am more emotionally stunted than some alpha males I have known.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
My gender is attack helicopter.
Just sayin'. Tanks, APC's, printers, come out of hiding.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
-->
Even when I imagine myself as female I imagine myself as a rational female. In fact mentally the difference I subscribe to between imagining myself female or male is that the female version is more cunning, manipulative, ambitious and submissive while the male version is more stubborn, carefree, lazy and dominating. I like to see my idealized female version as my hidden potential and prefer thinking myself as such even though the male version closer corresponds to reality. Can't really escape the submissive and dominating divide even when I see the female version as stronger which is kinda funny(though in my mind I see the male as the leader and the female as the fighter, which explains this.)

I honestly do not know how to answer your question, leaning towards 50/50.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
if we are separating male and female traits i think we must begin in what male and female is in the human reproductive process. then we can derive traits that in a certain sense can be roughly described as "rationality" and "empathy" (respectively), and these words may do pretty well in most cases but do not capture the essence of the personality traits promoted by respective sex and cannot be applied in the full spectrum of their meanings. there are ways women are generally more rational and men more empathetic. but to me this doesn't mean the generalization from the beginning is invalid - it means that we are using terms and concepts that are too narrow and too wide. we need a better understanding and a better language for masculinity and femininity.

so, starting from the proposed beginning: women have fewer sex cells (while equal amounts are required) and a cyclical intermittent fertility (not to mention shorter period of fertility), thus are less disposable, hence more valuable, hence have less survival chance to gain from prestige. men are more disposable, hence less valuable, hence have more survival chance to gain from prestige. women handle pregnancy (a lot of time has been devoted to pregnancy in the circumstances that shaped our genes, it is far from a negligible factor which frankly anyone should be ready to concede), thus are more limited in mobility, hence more confined to domestic undertakings. it becomes primarily the task of men to act publicly and opportunistically. in this sense i think women have become more perceptive of other peoples needs, and men more competitive, stoic and resourceful. these traits can be roughly described as "empathy" and "rationality" but without the basic reasoning, these words become very nebulous and may give rise to fatal misconceptions in the minds of both the proponents and the critics. the female sense of care and belonging may exaggerate into counterproductive anti-social smothering as well as nosiness (clearly not effectively empathetic behaviors; disregard for autonomy is implicit), and the male competitivity and toughness may exaggerate into irrational recklessness, vengeance etc. so: if we know the context and application of descriptors like "empathetic" and "rational", they are valid. but the colloquial interpretation adds a vagueness which can fuel both sexism and idealist postmodernist denial. there seems to be a lack of willingness to explore psychological dimorphism in earnest. it's always tied to one agenda or the other. luckily at least the scientists are sciencing away while people are failing to talk.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 4:33 AM
-->
Well, at least you're now trying to root this in some kind of biological construct, versus this poll which tosses out "male" and "female" qualities without any substantial (or even just faulty) underpinnings...

The reality (in a generalized nutshell) is that male and female start with similar biological templates, and then when androgen production is kicked in (or not) some weeks (5? 6?) in the pregnancy, the hormonal gender's stuctures are reinforced, the other gender's structures are absorbed, and then more hormonal differentiation typically occurs, which then changes the body development appropriately + the "priming" of the brain and thus behavior among other elements. So we start essentially with the same building blocks (why do men have nipples, you know?), but hormones create differentiation on a few levels and of course that process can be mild, extreme, or even contradict the XX/XY in the karyotype in some situations depending on environmental and/or other genetic factors.

Later in life, of course, there are additional hormonal periods (I think one in childhood, then one at puberty) where hormones again are generated to further differentiate physical gender. But anything added to that is typically social in nature.

But from that kind of grounding, it seems kind of pointless to say one is "80% male, 20% female" (as an example) if we all start from the same template and both males and females can overlap in terms of behavior, psychology, and mindset, even if they are being primed a certain way psychologically by hormonal influences over the course of one's life. I mean, which 20% is female? How do you know that's just not a normal part of every male that you are experiencing, rather a "human" thing versus a gender/female thing? And so forth.

We create categories with a lot of flex / arbitrary boundaries to start with, then provide specific quantifications based on arbitrary numbers? It's like trying to quantify goo, at least with this proposal.

Seteleechete

Together forever
Local time
-->
Ye, that doesn't work with me as I never consider/care about general preception of female/male traits only my perception of how I imagine myself if I were female/male that preception may differ from what common generalistions of what masculinity and femininity represent.

I don't see masculinity/femininity as a deciding factor when talking about someones personality unless they actually exhibit the traits corresponding to these two generalisations. Bassicly I don't subscribe to using these, I see them as pointless concepts and would much rather categorize people by MBTI or something. But I still see a personal divide between female and male traits I just see it as an individualistic phenomenona which differs depending on who you ask.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
Today 11:33 AM
-->
I am a male,therefore I define what male is.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
I am a male,therefore I define what male is.

even if you're an outlier compared to the bulk of males?

say, if you got hips and boobs, no beard and a beautiful smile - but dick and Y chromosomes to top it off. is that what male is?

would you say the same if we were talking about some other class of objects? "this object happens to be a chair and present to me at the moment, therefore it is to be understood as the prototypical chair" even if it's a two-legged upside-down sensory deprivation hoverchair especially designed for people with no neck and a square belly?

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I don't have a sense of gender, neither do I have a strong sense of self or personality. I guess I don't tend to think in a way where such things are relevant. My thoughts circle around them or focuses on other aspects. I mean, there aren't many situations where gender is relevant, so there's no incentive to include them in a encompassing manner when thinking <--my brain is messy today, so this might be messy as well.

The only exceptions where I sometimes feel like a woman when wearing a dress and sometimes like a man when seeing my avatar or lifting heavy things. Which seems to be more of an associative feel of gender, rather than a biological one. If that makes sense.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
-->
even if you're an outlier compared to the bulk of males?

say, if you got hips and boobs, no beard and a beautiful smile - but dick and Y chromosomes to top it off. is that what male is?

would you say the same if we were talking about some other class of objects? "this object happens to be a chair and present to me at the moment, therefore it is to be understood as the prototypical chair" even if it's a two-legged upside-down sensory deprivation hoverchair especially designed for people with no neck and a square belly?
When the definition of a thing is how other define it,it is meaningless because
you just defined a thing with the perceived\idea definition of the thing.
Fuck off other chairs and beds,they will not define me,I am two-legged upside-down sensory deprivation hoverchair,if they like it or not.
What I mean is that people are very different from the non existent stereotype.
they are so many females that have non "female" behavior that it is not clear from where the idea came from the first place,the current definition does not settle with reality.

The Gopher

President
Local time
Today 7:33 PM
-->
I am 100% male, I've never felt female but I don't understand what it is to feel male. I don't "feel" male, at least if I do it's so intrinsically buried that it's not something I ever think about. I would probably be quite happy as a female. I wouldn't feel male or female in that scenario either.

Because of this I always ask those that feel male what it's like. Now I'm not saying those that feel a certain gender are disillusioned although I have accidentally disillusioned some people by saying this. If people feel that they feel something that's in feels land and whatever that means to them is valid to an extent. If it is a stereotype that's fine. However I think some people have false ideas related to how males feel and what males feel like if there is such a thing. So! If anyone answering this from either side could state what the feeling is I would be most interested.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->
You are missing attack helicopter. This is outrageous!

Hey Blarbear ;)

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
We create categories with a lot of flex / arbitrary boundaries to start with, then provide specific quantifications based on arbitrary numbers? It's like trying to quantify goo, at least with this proposal.

It's easy to see the whole topic as arbitrary, and I've certainly done so in the past. But I find now that the answer lies somewhere in between.

I'm not sure the OP was ignoring the fact that in reality all humans are mostly similar, but I think it was referring to our own self-reflection. Naturally nobody is 100% male or 100% female, as if they were made of separate matter.

Suppose humans share 95% of the same phenotype/physiology regardless of gender. Then this topic is about that last 5% and what percentage of that last 5% you personally ascribe to.

Masculine traits, as culturally defined, are the amplification (via feedback looping) of legitimate differences in the genders. Higher levels of testosterone gives any human, but obviously mostly males, more aggressiveness, sexual drive and muscle mass. Hence it's only typical to see males being stronger and more forward/competitive as a whole than females. Sometimes that's extrapolated further to 'leadership', promiscuity, etc. The hormonal flux that happens in the female body naturally lends itself to mood changes - leading to the notion of females being more easily emotionally affected. This is extrapolated into 'sensitive', 'caring' or perhaps being a 'drama-queen'.

Now, to weed out the extrapolated parts, we could better phrase the question by asking: "Which of these traits do you find in yourself, or identify with, more often?"
a)
[list the effects/traits scientifically related to testosterone]
b)
[list the effects/traits scientifically related to estrogen and other female hormones]
c) i feel/see neither traits in myself very often
d) i feel/see both traits in myself very often
e) i feel mostly the traits of A, but some of B.
f) i feel mostly the traits of B, but some of A.
....but I think that approach is too sterile and misses the nuance of Self-Identity that is being questioned for in the poll. It's partly about how we see ourselves within this soup of cultural opinions and how we position ourselves to these stereotypes - I think that's an inferred part of the question as well. o.o
My gosh what a ramble.

TL;DR - Stereotypes are not arbitrary, but the result of collective exposure to life, which is comprised of millions of a posteriori experiences as well as notions inherited second-hand, both playing on each other.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
It's easy to see the whole topic as arbitrary, and I've certainly done so in the past. But I find now that the answer lies somewhere in between.

Well, you didn't Quote the opening of my post which stated at least now people in the thread were trying to root what they could in biology... We all start from the same template, some differentiation does occur from hormonal influences during differentiation, and yes, those differentiations then get referenced by society, which forms a basis for the beginning of the stereotypes...

But looking back the OP? Pretty gooey. "What gender are you internally?" Whatever that means. And then percentages? Lol.

Local time
-->
But I think that approach is too sterile and misses the nuance of Self-Identity that is being questioned for in the poll. It's partly about how we see ourselves within this soup of cultural opinions and how we position ourselves to these stereotypes - I think that's an inferred part of the question as well.

Yeah. Imo everyone is gender neutral internally, so i understood the op to be an inquiry about whatever it is that makes us stick with one mode of presentation rather than the other.
I don't think Ive ever felt a desire to present myself as male. I only envy some aspects of being male, especially when it comes to safety and being given uncomfortable attention just because you're visibly female(eg. having creepers honk at you when you cross the street or being scared shitless while walking alone at night). But i dont feel a desire to socially exhibit myself within a male "role".
Uhh this turned into a pretty shitty post. I find it difficult to express my thoughts on gender

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Don't have much of an opinion. Had 3 meetings today. All went really good. I used a shorter dress then I normally use. As I wanted results. So a bit of strategy. I know I've felt good. But no idea if I should call it femininity or masculinity. Maybe feminine on the surface and masculine below. Does that make sense?

18990269659_edff73c004_n.jpg

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
-->
But looking back the OP? Pretty gooey. "What gender are you internally?" Whatever that means. And then percentages? Lol.
Yeah, it is kinda vague isn't it. c.c; Somehow it just made sense to me what was really being asked. o: Or what I think was asked, anyway.

I think the 'internal gender' bit was elaborated in the OP by asking whether we "tend to identify with a certain gender mentally/emotionally (regardless of what gender we are physically)." Otherwise just asking the poll "What gender are you?" would lend itself to answers of biology.

But maybe just directly making the poll question: "What gender do you identify with mentally/emotionally?" Would have been better. Semantics ftl. :ahh:

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You are missing attack helicopter. This is outrageous!

Hey Blarbear ;)
I guess it's time to start helicopter rights recognition movement.
We are not even mentioned as statistical errors at this point. No reaction at all.

Knick

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I don't identify with any of the options in the poll.

Same.

To me, gender is a secondary detail. I am the culmination of my experiences through my life. The fact that my privates dangle is a footnote in how I identify myself.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but I really just don't understand the entire argument.

:confused:

Sixup

Local time
-->
I am 100% male, I've never felt female but I don't understand what it is to feel male. I don't "feel" male, at least if I do it's so intrinsically buried that it's not something I ever think about. I would probably be quite happy as a female. I wouldn't feel male or female in that scenario either.

Because of this I always ask those that feel male what it's like. Now I'm not saying those that feel a certain gender are disillusioned although I have accidentally disillusioned some people by saying this. If people feel that they feel something that's in feels land and whatever that means to them is valid to an extent. If it is a stereotype that's fine. However I think some people have false ideas related to how males feel and what males feel like if there is such a thing. So! If anyone answering this from either side could state what the feeling is I would be most interested.

This.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:33 PM
-->
I'm going with helicopter because I think this whole thing is stupid.

Sexual orientations I understand but feeling male/female, that's just nonsense, seriously what's the point of defining traits as being masculine/feminine just to then defy those definitions?

It's like building a sandcastle only to then knock it down and say "I'm so destructive today".

And then there's being "gender fluid", NO, JUST NO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
i answered 50/50 on the basis that when i dream my gender isn't ever static and is subject to change mid scene. but otherwise irl i do sometimes wonder what it is to be woman though that's mostly out of curiosity, in the end i have a penis and i like vagina.

plus from a biological standpoint there is no ambiguity to what my gender is, i.e. i would make a very unconvincing drag queen

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
plus from a biological standpoint there is no ambiguity to what my gender is, i.e. i would make a very unconvincing drag queen

Just to clarify that's what my percentage was based off.

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
Just to clarify that's what my percentage was based off.

so you've tried your hand at being a drag queen too, i hate how itchy bras can get...though i can't say i don't miss the silk panties.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
so you've tried your hand at being a drag queen too, i hate how itchy bras can get...though i can't say i don't miss the silk panties.

Well only dresses. My sister thought it was amusing, she was right.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
i answered 50/50 on the basis that when i dream my gender isn't ever static and is subject to change mid scene. but otherwise irl i do sometimes wonder what it is to be woman though that's mostly out of curiosity, in the end i have a penis and i like vagina.

Unconvincing? Why do you think that? This is after all mostly, if not entirely, about habits. Shouldn't this be approached as anything else one wish to learn? Instead of a drag queen, why not dress up as the girl next door? Do it regularly, make people used to it. One wear pants if that is one is used to wear.

though i can't say i don't miss the silk panties.
I bet the Stockholm syndrome is valid here. One think ones situation is as it should be. One would wish to do as one want, but ones place is in the basement. Soon enough you will have forgotten the silk panties, and it will be as you never tried them on. The Illuminati will have won *sobs*

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
I read about people believing that they are a female trapped inside of a male body and vice versa, which would only make sense in a dualistic universe, where there is an immaterial world of souls/spirits and a material world. It is the soul of the individual that is believed to have a gender. But this doesn't make sense since it is genetics(the material world) that determines gender. Some individuals that believe in reincarnation believe that they were physically the opposite gender in another life, which is why they "feel" like another gender. Those that undergo transgender procedures are trying to change their physical bodies to match who they think they really are inside. This seems like a break in reality to me.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I'm unsure. A fair few people online have mistaken me for a girl, or said I come across as feminine, but I don't know if that's true really.

I'd say I don't feel masculine, but I think that's more a reflection of me feeling I don't identify with the masculinity of my parents, grandparents, school-mates, colleagues -- the socialised model of myself I'm meant to identify with but don't. I think if someone feels different, as people here seem to have a tendency to, that there's then a possibility of wanting to associate with the opposite sex as those of your own are more associated with the normalised version of yourself you're trying to differentiate from.

When I was a student and more socially anxious than I am now, I used to dress androgynously on nights out for a while. Mixture of it being how I wanted to appear and thinking it looked nice (I still consider androgyny sometimes it's just too much effort to do it well and I cba), and feeling it created a kind of persona distant to my day-life that allowed me to enjoy myself more boldly than I would normally.

All my friends were LGBT at the time though and we used to go to LGBT clubs, so a lot easier than some places.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I read about people believing that they are a female trapped inside of a male body and vice versa,

You're being a literalist. The phrase is used (sometimes sloppily) because there's not an easier way to articulate what one is experiencing and for some people that's the best they can explain. But it's pretty obvious no one can tell what a "gender feels like" in a quantifiable way. It's meant to convey a general summary of an experience rather than a literal explanation of it.

Those that undergo transgender procedures are trying to change their physical bodies to match who they think they really are inside. This seems like a break in reality to me.

I know people on this forum who seem far more broken from reality than trans people I know. you get crazies in any group of people. A lot of trans people I know are far more realist, because they've been forced to address a huge disparity between internal and external reality, and to survive in this world successfully you don't have the luxury of being crazy.

The difference here between lazy speculation and actual manifestation of a particular condition is why I suggested earlier that people let the doctors do the doctoring and stop offering armchair diagnoses.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 2:33 AM
-->
I chose neutral, because it was the closest I could find.

I have an overproduction of estrogen, so I'm ridiculously feminine in appearance. Also, I prefer to wear dresses because they are the most convenient way to clothe oneself (you straight dudes are missing out). I tend to skip the things that waste money like salons, manicures, fancy shoes, etc. because I can't figure out why I should care about them.

Underneath, I don't feel like a woman. I don't relate to the behaviors, the preoccupations, and the traditional roles of a woman in my society. Never learned to value the things most women are taught to value. While I also don't feel like a man, I relate more to the society's requirements for a gentleman like: be independent, work hard, solve your own problems, don't make public displays, be rational, stay calm in crisis, be educated, learn survival skills, be able to fix things around the house, think before you act, etc.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
I read about people believing that they are a female trapped inside of a male body and vice versa, which would only make sense in a dualistic universe, where there is an immaterial world of souls/spirits and a material world. It is the soul of the individual that is believed to have a gender. But this doesn't make sense since it is genetics(the material world) that determines gender. Some individuals that believe in reincarnation believe that they were physically the opposite gender in another life, which is why they "feel" like another gender. Those that undergo transgender procedures are trying to change their physical bodies to match who they think they really are inside. This seems like a break in reality to me.

i think your problem can be resolved by learning more about what transgender is. either that, or just activate your imagination. the task is to find a possible explanation of transgender that doesn't involve belief in metaphysical mind-body dualism. it's really not that hard. you can't just write off transgender issues as some form of religious nonsense.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
You're being a literalist. The phrase is used (sometimes sloppily) because there's not an easier way to articulate what one is experiencing and for some people that's the best they can explain. But it's pretty obvious no one can tell what a "gender feels like" in a quantifiable way. It's meant to convey a general summary of an experience rather than a literal explanation of it.

I know people on this forum who seem far more broken from reality than trans people I know. you get crazies in any group of people. A lot of trans people I know are far more realist, because they've been forced to address a huge disparity between internal and external reality, and to survive in this world successfully you don't have the luxury of being crazy.

The difference here between lazy speculation and actual manifestation of a particular condition is why I suggested earlier that people let the doctors do the doctoring and stop offering armchair diagnoses.

Well, the dualistic view I posted was not my view of what all transgender people believe, but the view of people I knew personally. Yes, I think spiritual explanations for transgenderism is illogical and a break from reality, but not in a literal, medical sense.

What is gender identity anyways. I know that I identify as a male internally because my brain "thinks" like a male, but I don't even know what that means. I certainly don't behave like the most masculine men in society, and many of those men probably think I am a little girly man because of my underutilized muscles, lack of overt displays of masculinity, and my tendency to overthink and underact. I just know that my brain is more wired like that of a the average male brain than that of the average female.

This is similar to sexual dimorphism, where our brains may be wired differently, but as with sexual dimorphism there is overlap between the male and female brain. It's possible that a person's brain does not develop to be "wired" the same as those of the same sex as that person. So a male may find himself relating to how females think because of the similarities in brain structures. As a result they may associate with females culturally and in the way of personal identity. I think all of this does imply that gender is more elusive than previously thought.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
-->
After greater circumspection, I think I would vote 50/50 on this one. I don't know how people see me, though. That would be interesting. Segregated gender activities always kind of put me in a kind of dilemma. I usually float between them.

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
Back on topic there are currently 0 votes for 100% female. Why do you think that is? I'm almost tempted to put that as my vote for fun.

Haim

Worlds creator
Local time
-->
Back on topic there are currently 0 votes for 100% female. Why do you think that is? I'm almost tempted to put that as my vote for fun.
I think it because there is a confusion between different from other people and different from the same gender.
Then if you include not acting as yourself as a thing females do more,you can't figure out what female is and what is just adjustment to society,just by not being fake,intp women will be very different from most women,this does not make them more man,it is logical error.

These my original comment,I change the definition of male because the definition is an observation,the observer can not truly change the observed but in our society he can change what he see,therefore the observation is wrong.

Its like google AI "art" reinforcing what the AI "thinks" it viewing on the picture.
google-AI-dreams-2-468x352.jpg

Void

oblivious
Local time
-->
How much my initial answer was neutral, I voted 20% male 80% neutral. 20% might be a little bit too much, but I cant completely disregard the few male-esque features I do have.

AcuteVision

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Im not sure im masculine outwardly and physically but mentally Im not entirely sure. When I was younger I was labelled as girly, sensitive, soft, etc..... Now its the complete opposite... I'm called cold non responsive... Unemotional.... My dad calls me a robot... He yells at me and unlike my siblings he gets no backlash response.... I did respond once when he crossed a line ..my mum said he cried at night for days after so I figure its better to listen without listening. Idk if that's a masculine trait or feminine.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
split notice

After a careful read, realizing this thread has gone far from its original topic, becoming a clusterfuck of political agendas on gay parades, feminism, false rape accusations, homosexuality and other topics, I have split the off topic posts to a new thread. Keep on topic.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 2:33 AM
-->
Im not sure im masculine outwardly and physically but mentally Im not entirely sure. When I was younger I was labelled as girly, sensitive, soft, etc..... Now its the complete opposite... I'm called cold non responsive... Unemotional.... My dad calls me a robot... He yells at me and unlike my siblings he gets no backlash response.... I did respond once when he crossed a line ..my mum said he cried at night for days after so I figure its better to listen without listening. Idk if that's a masculine trait or feminine.
I'm curious, did the change in your behavior happen during/just after puberty? I sometimes wonder if most people are fairly gender-neutral, or at least more flexible, until puberty, and then their gender identification (wherever it may lie on the spectrum) becomes more solid.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I sometimes wonder if most people are fairly gender-neutral, or at least more flexible, until puberty, and then their gender identification (wherever it may lie on the spectrum) becomes more solid.

My experience parenting (watching my own kids and others) is that gendering at a young age is common. Some kids have a more low-key sense of gender than others or can be more indifferent about their gender even if they perceive one for themselves, while some kids (like my niece) are pretty extreme at a very early age.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->

Lol, I voted when this thread first started and was really confused by the options and my interpretation.

I voted 20% male, 80% female.

Reason being.. I am a female, with some 'typically' masculine tendencies and thought processes. (Being INTP for one).

I figure I'd try to account for both.

I dont understand people who are confused by their gender - because I am not.

I mean like, I've joked a thousand times over how much simpler life would be if I was a bloke, (I'm sure many women have).. But having said that, I'm comfortable in the body I was born in - I couldn't imagine not being.

So, that morally leave's me in a position of being unable to judge those who are confused. Morals aside tho.. The concept of transgenders does disturb me slightly- but I would never tred on their 'right' to do so. Although personally, I think they're over complicating things. Nature made things simple. (for me..)

Esurient Fere

*grownup
Local time
-->
Interesting topic. I'd like to say my take on the feminine/masculine split is mostly defined by cultural factors and is a fluid concept. (There are some cultures where make-up is for men and is a masculine trait. A behavioral definition is subjective. a biological definition, which I'd call sex, is clear cut.) That being said I think you can identify these genders in the general context of your social groups.

I see I have clear characteristics where I think more like the opposite sex and break from the common opinions of my biological sex. Still I have many qualities that are assigned to my biological sex. Ideally these qualities are simply being human but the cultural norms have dictated that these particular experiences/traits are emphasized with one side or the other.

In the end I do identify as mostly masculine but with a significant streak of feminine qualities. Enough so that I break from both camps to a noticeable degree. So basically I'm just me :kodama1: never liked to follow others anyway.

I don't really see the point in identifying one way or another in matters of intellect. It's an irrelevant grouping that adds little value. When talking about mating this is another matter.
(Yes, males and females are supposed to process information differently but the variations are so significant that the distinction is insignificant. People are people.)

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
-->
I relate more to the society's requirements for a gentleman like: be independent, work hard, solve your own problems, don't make public displays, be rational, stay calm in crisis, be educated, learn survival skills, be able to fix things around the house, think before you act, etc.

That, but I've always thought that that's how people should be.

I don't fully identify with my body, so I don't really feel male or female. I do think of myself as slightly more female, but that's just because my body is and it makes life easier. Even then I feel different levels of discomfort when I have to do certain things in a certain way, because nature said so.

Top Bottom