• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What does it take to wake you up

lucky12

walking on air
Local time
Today 12:19 AM
-->
Sup yall.

Self explanatory question.

Im a triple alarm kind of guy, drives my sig other crazy. Shes one of those up and at 'em types.

Heh she'll be making my breakfasts for the forseeable future.

Please post what u find works.

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
Yesterday 10:19 PM
-->
It helps to go to work later in the day/evening (if you can) than to forcefully get yourself up, hurry through breakfast and then off to work. Some may not have swing or night shifts so maybe adjust your sleep schedule so that the first several hours after waking up, you're free.

I have coffee or tea in the morning, then take a 20-30 minute walk on an empty stomach, then have breakfast. I don't have to rush it because my obligations are later in my day.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 6:19 PM
-->
I have one alarm. If I have to get up, I have to get up. I'll curse in my head and be really grumpy for about 15 minutes upon waking, but I'll get up. I cherish my sleep.

If you need three alarms, you probably aren't getting good sleep. If you're having trouble waking in the morning you could try a blue light alarm when waking and putting yourself in a dark room with no blue light before going to bed. Also helps to avoid sugar and relax before bed. If you need to use computer and electronics (like me because they are an appendage), you can buy blue screen filters for your devices.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 2:19 PM
-->
From most to least common:

1. Cat meowing
2. Cat on head
3. Cat scratching at windows
4. Cat snoring nearby
5. Cat playing
6. Cat attacking feet
7. Cat wriggling under blanket
8. Cat kneading vital organs
9. Cat pushing doors shut
10. Alarm clock

lucky12

walking on air
Local time
-->
I generally get up on one.. but if im completely drained i will sleep through one too.

Lately ive only set one, but my schedule changes daily because im on vacation and ive been sick.

I guess its sort of normal ive been fluctuating so much as of late due to the 'altered' lifestyle of vacation.

When I do have structure i always keep my schedule to be fixed at being 5 min late. Its marvellous when you beat that five minutes and complete your routine.

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
Today 5:19 AM
-->
At the moment, it goes something like this - the first alarm clock goes off. I know I should get up and hit the gym. Instead I turn it off. I can't get up, but I can't sleep either. I pick up my phone and play around with it. Occasionally dropping it and half falling asleep. And as my alarm is on my phone, it occasionally shouts at me. And hour goes by and eventually I think I'd better get up or I'll be late, when I shall drink a large and very strong coffee. I am then ready for the day.

Bad Itch

Push to Start
Local time
Today 1:19 AM
-->
23 alarm instances set across 5 mobile devices generally as close to my pillows / head as possible, spanning close to two hours of my wakeup window.

Often I will sleep through about 22 of these.

I probably just went to bed a few hours beforehand.

A single, oldskool windup mechanical, analog alarm clock with metal bells works the first time almost every time though. I should dig that cold bastard out from wherever it's hiding..

Ex-User (13503)

Local time
-->
Having something that needs to be done or being too cold to sleep. Otherwise I'll sleep through several alarms, earthquakes, cats, dogs, screaming children...

Littlefoot

Redshirt
Local time
-->
My husband wakes me up when he goes to work. He's usually running around the house looking for his uniform then calls to me to help him find it. After that, I cant go back to sleep.
If its a morning where he doesnt have to go to work, I'm usually woken up by the cat or dog wanting something.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 12:19 PM
-->
Im awaken either by my cellphone's alarm clock or my roommate's alarm clock.

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
-->
Getting redpilled will wake you up tho.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
My husband wakes me up when he goes to work. He's usually running around the house looking for his uniform then calls to me to help him find it. After that, I cant go back to sleep.
If its a morning where he doesnt have to go to work, I'm usually woken up by the cat or dog wanting something.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Is your husband 11?

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
I get up straight away but I go back to sleep usually if I don't have caffeine.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
1. Wailing Kids
2. Alarm

Post initial wake-up, I require at least three strong, black coffees before I come online. In emergency situations, drugs. From ';_;' to 'DDD:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::' in ~ 30 minutes.

ftw.

Shieru

rational romantic
Local time
Yesterday 9:19 PM
-->
even the forum has been infiltrated by pedophiles!

giphy.gif

errybody 'round here seems perfectly normal to me :angel:

wouldn't you agree beastie?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
brief interlude back to the question at hand:

...Apparently it takes a hungry snot-nosed cat banging my floor length mirror against the wall repeatedly before 6am. (Little bastard.)

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
I wake up automatically near the 7 hour mark. Annoying, not sure why it happens but can't shake it, anyhow I doze for another half hour to hour.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
Architect - legitimately not trying to be a nob here, aren't you a tad older than the other forumites? I'm sure I read somewhere that as we age, our sleep patterns change because we need less sleep or something.

That being said, I've always been an early riser. Even when I was single and sans kids. If I slept past ~ 7am it was a rarity. Day to day, I don't like to be up any later than 6am; during summer months I much prefer to rise at anywhere between 4:30 - 5:00am.

Funny, really. I'm not a morning person in the traditional sense (if you engage me before coffee you're likely to get a filthy look - at best) but I do love the feeling of mornings. Everything fresh and crisp. Mornings win.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Funny, really. I'm not a morning person in the traditional sense (if you engage me before coffee you're likely to get a filthy look - at best) but I do love the feeling of mornings. Everything fresh and crisp. Mornings win.

What I like about mornings: If I start working between 6-8am, the workday goes by REALLY quick. And I can get a lot done in the morning. But if I sleep in until 10-11am, then the day is partly over / drags out.

That being said, unfortunately I am a night person. And yeah, do not talk to me until I have had coffee. You might get a half-stare and an incomprehensible mumble at best.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
The night tends to have me firing on all cylinders. I used to love walks/drives in the wee hours.

I don't do that now, though. Aliens might get me ;_;

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
At college I would on occasion walk alone in the dark late at night down this old abandoned lane up on the hill. It was so dark sometimes you almost could not even tell where the road was and/or closing your eyes did not make much difference. Rather cool.

I don't do that now, though. Aliens might get me ;_;

Maybe that would a mercy, to escape the perils of the children? :D

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
Now you mention it...

Also, clearly I was talking out of my arse - I went for a 1am-ish drive this morning. It was bloody lovely. I the 20 or so miles I drove, I saw about five other cars on the road. For the north west of England, that's pretty much unheard of.

Of course, my darling wife still managed to text / interrupt my solitude. Bloody extroverts.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Architect - legitimately not trying to be a nob here, aren't you a tad older than the other forumites? I'm sure I read somewhere that as we age, our sleep patterns change because we need less sleep or something.

Sure I thought to mention but didn't want to tldr;

Generally people often have sleep issues as they age, due to kids/schedule, stress, alcohol, etc. I think for me it's habit, plus there's usually something interesting to think about so when I start to think which wakes me up.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
Ah, the Ti brain.

I wake up in a zen-like state. I only tend to come online as I arrive at work.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Ah, the Ti brain.

Yeah, I try not to start thinking but slowly fail. The only reason I stay in bed another hour or less is I know I'll be able to work more (work=think)

I wake up in a zen-like state. I only tend to come online as I arrive at work

you an INFJ or something?

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
INTJ, though you had me pegged as ENTJ when you saw my videos and the like. We interacted for a bit. 2012 I think. You passed on some good info.

Nymus Anon

AnoNymus
Local time
Yesterday 11:19 PM
-->
Right now, I just slowly wake up after a couple of hours being half asleep, or my mom will interrupt that by coming in and pouring a ton of water on me. I really hate that.

abraham

Redshirt
Local time
-->
If got some very important occasion for tomorrow, i will automatically set to my mind, or my brain will react to get up on time. But if there are nothing to do for tomorrow, even a zombie apocalypse will not make me get out of my comfy bed

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Only about an hour of alarm snoozing (down from 2 hrs - go me!)

Aviator8

I wanted to be a star, so i irradiated myself
Local time
Yesterday 11:19 PM
-->
I don't have this problem...(not only because I sleep only once a week but because) I wake up suddenly. My eyes come open, and I sit up (then regret doing it*also regret sleeping[but if I don't sleep I hallucinate, and that's not desireable at ALL]*). If only I didn't need any sleep...

(If you think constant and increasing hallucinations is fun, it's not. It's hard to open a door when the knob looks like an eyeball with an upper eyelid, but everything else exposed....and taking a math test over history subjects written in blood really screws your grade.------it's not all bad though. My milk turned into blood, urine, and something else one day, and I didn't drink it for a week. That's when I realized it was actually hurting my stomach quite a lot. I don't have the guts to tell my parents that I'm intolerant to milk, but I found pills about a year later that solve my problem. I now basically carry (those) drugs around almost constantly and am technically doing drugs about twice a day. Normally [I understand] drugs lead to hallucination, not the other way around.)

Anyways, if you know how to not hallucinate and still not sleep that would be helpful.

Nick85

Local time
-->
I've been making myself go to sleep early and wake up early these days to make it to a 6:30am spin class since that's the only time to local rec centre has them most days. I just wake up around 6:15 and leave at 6:20 so that doesn't leave much wriggle room for putting off waking up. I'm not totally awake when I arrive, but after 45min of the instructor shouting to pedal harder I'm good.

If my alarm rings, it will bring me to a sufficient level of consciousness that I'll be able to recognize that I need to wake up. Unless I think I can put off waking up for 5, 10, 20, 30 minutes, even though waking up right away might be more ideal, then I might put it off. But if I HAVE to, I'll still groggily drag myself out of bed.

If I don't have to wake up early, I find that I often still wake up after 6-7.5 hours of sleep, like at 5-7 am... not sure why, I guess a lot of the time something triggers my Ti. But then I look at the time and try to force my brain to calm down so I can get my full 8 hrs and be properly rested. Which sometimes translates to oversleeping with 9-10 hours of sleep and only waking up because I need to take a shit. :p

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
@Aviator8: You've got to sleep. I pulled that crap off for like 5 years, and then my heart decided it was done with my shit (I was 21). I literally had a heart attack. Then, my heart had zero tolerance for stimulants (caffeine), so I had to go through almost a year of narcoleptic symptoms and constant heart palpitations while my brain and body reset. It's not worth it. Also, your memory doesn't work properly when you're living in a sleepless blur.

@OP, every morning, it's like waking from the dead. Once I can manage to stand, I take a shower (temp depending on how out of it I am), which provides a drastic increase in my general alertness.

lucky12

walking on air
Local time
-->
Aviators crazy; idk what to say to sleeping once a week.

Wassimulator

Redshirt
Local time
-->
nothing really, but here's why:
I managed through a series of tests on how long I sleep and when I wake up at night to turn in the bed to approximate how long my sleep cycle is. then I worked on approximating the time I need to fall asleep in a relation to how long I've been awake and figured out a system, it sounds complicated but it became second nature, I jsut add up how many cycles I wanna sleep and I go to bed, trying to time the wake up with sunrise. woke up like I wasnt even asleep. even If all I slept was merely one cylce; ~90min

Top Bottom