• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Weather or not?

a detached retina

Local time
Today 1:47 AM
-->
The title was bait.

Whenever somebody misspells whether as weather when they type "whether or not" I can't help but get a mental image of two worlds one with weather and one without.
Weather: there are clouds and sunshine and a blue sky
Not: The sky is black.

I know that image is slightly illogical but it's what I can't help but think when somebody says "weather or not"

I also do this when somebody misuses "their" like "their are a lot of people"
I think to myself "Who's (are a lot of people) is this?" and then I answer "It's THEIR (are a lot of people)"

Anybody else find weird mental tricks to occupy yourself instead of correcting someone when they trample on your Ti ?

Nocturne

Vesper.
Local time
Yesterday 10:47 PM
-->
... I thought you were trying to be 'punny'. None the less, it's quite annoying to edit my friend's written works, which are filled with grammatical mistakes. :D

EvilScientist Trainee

Science Advisor
Local time
Today 2:47 AM
-->
I thought we were going to talk about meteorology. :auburn:

Glordag

Pensive Poster
Local time
Today 12:47 AM
-->
Speaking of words, phrases, or clauses giving rise to mental images .... your username disturbs me. It makes me feel like my eyes are going to fall to pieces. Make it stop!!!!! :eek:

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 5:47 AM
-->
In this thread:
:nazi:

Seriously though, whenever I see terrible writing like that, either A: English isn't that persons first language, or B: that persons opinion isn't worth reading

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
Yesterday 10:47 PM
-->
Seriously though, whenever I see terrible writing like that, either A: English isn't that persons first language, or B: that persons opinion isn't worth reading

It's "person's", with an apostrophe...as in "That person's xx..." Even if you pluralize it ie: "Those people's xx..." the apostrophe is still necessary.

A period at the end of the sentence is typically customary as well. This is all just more cleverly planted bait though, right? :)

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
It's "person's", with an apostrophe...as in "That person's xx..." Even if you pluralize it ie: "Those people's xx..." the apostrophe is still necessary.

A period at the end of the sentence is typically customary as well. This is all just more cleverly planted bait though, right? :)

Punctuation is optional where it isn't necessary.

Those mistakes weren't intentional. I often miss the last period off my posts, and when I was about 15 I just decided I couldn't be bothered with apostrophes for possession.

Slightly off topic, when I'm writing my narrative continuously switches between plural and singular, and also between different past tense and present tense, and I always have to go back through my writing to fix it.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 4:47 PM
-->
Air pollution: weather or not?

haha but srsly guys why the hell do simple spelling/grammar/punctuation/whatever errors get to you so much? i mean sure the little moment of ohh, they spelt that wrong can be disruptive, and people confusing then and than is like SGUHSILWRETHILU but come on, there are more important things just deal with it ok and especially when people correct people for what was obviously just a typo and they're doing it to be a smartass and not just helpful is like fuck you no one cares like O M G

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
There's bad grammar, and then there's bad grammar.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Well, to put typology into the mix, it sounds like introverted intuition. (More accurately, my understanding of)

Instead of entirely denying invalid assumptions , you chose to do something with them---you chose to play with them. You chose to do something with the "illogical" premise while acknowledging the more obvious context. For example, A cow is the same time an animal and not an animal. It is a word and a figment of the imagination.

To my assumed Si'ish worldview, this is "nuts." Nutty thinking. Your nuts. (are nut edible.)

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
Why not Ne?

I like reading incorrectly used words as though they were used correctly, too, just for fun. The sentence will often then read rather poetically.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Why not Ne?

I like reading incorrectly used words as though they were used correctly, too, just for fun.

I like reading it that way too, but it is only "natural" if the original intent was "fun". It is natural If it wasn't a case of being "sidetracked"-"multi-tracked." The central guideline here is perspective. If it is natural for you to view words through many layers all in the same time, then this, I say, is definitely Ni.

Ne is more about the actual relationships involved. When I read "Logged in as Words", I did not think about me being whacked by a log. Actually, I did. But I purposely *sought* for an objective relationship as oppose to simultaneously viewing different meanings. It is similar in some ways, but the approach is quite different.

The sentence will often then read rather poetically.

Double Entendres are Ni'ish in a sense. Though I have no idea if I understood what you meant by "poetry."

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
So, Ni = different interpretations views simultaneously; Ne = different interpretations viewed separately? or something like, branching off from the main, single interpretation.

By poetically, I meant that a few times when I've read the sentence in a different way (I can't give you any examples, sorry) it has struck me as the kind of line that would be written in poetry (due to the unnatural wording, whatever). I'm quite terrible at putting things into words (doublente..) so you'll either have to get what I mean, or try it out until you do come across it.

Play around with making sentences containing "than", then change than to then, and re-read it.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
So, Ni = different interpretations views simultaneously; Ne = different interpretations viewed separately? or something like, branching off from the main, single interpretation.

Exactly. Based on this, I thought the OP was pretty Ni'ish. To be specific, his/her imagination of 2 types of worlds, which does not even seem to closely relate to "weather", gave me this impression. And it seems to happen often.

Top Bottom