• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Wasted potential and squandered intelligence

James Black

Local time
Today 10:32 AM
-->
I'll start this off simply: I'm in the middle of a breakdown. Not my first, and most likely not my last, but this one is a bit puzzling. Its different from the usual things that bother me. I'm, as I suspect most people here are, a rather gifted individual: I'm intelligent. Now, I don't normally announce this (and there's a few reasons. Mainly, I don't need the attention [although I enjoy it from time to time] and I don't like making others feel inferior [even if I believe I am superior to them], and also- at some point, if people realize you're intelligent beyond a certain point, much more is expected of you... But, I digress...) but its an important thing to bring up given the meaning of this thread. I haven't been officially tested by means of an IQ test (which although I believe to be an accurate measure of something, I am unsure of their total worth) but have tested 99th percentile in a few standardized tests. (whose worth I would place below an IQ test, to be frank) Nothing impressive, but an example nonetheless: the ASVAB and the GED. (I dropped out because I was too bored, too caught up with other things, and in classes below my level that I had no interest in whatsoever) However, its not the tests that make me believe I'm intelligent. I've never really studied. For anything. In High School, everything came naturally to me, and I was more of a sponge than anything else: after hearing something once, I knew it. Spelling came easy, math and science were fun. (History/Social Studies were boring) However, I made no effort to increase my knowledge, or sharpen my intelligence. I feel like recently, I'm losing twice due to these past mistakes: I've left myself much further behind than where I would be had I the motivation and/or gumption to actually work toward something, and I feel that my squandered intelligence is a quickly declining potential that I'm wasting away to the point where it may some day become nothing more than average.

Does anyone else share these feelings? Is there anybody else who feels like they have above-average intelligence, but have put so little effort into life that they're behind those who had one tenth the brains and twice the motivation? If so, how do you cope with the feeling that you're "wasting" your potential?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the best to reverse years of wasted intelligence and sharpen a tool I should have been making much more use of long ago?

nickgray

Local time
Today 6:32 PM
-->
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the best to reverse years of wasted intelligence and sharpen a tool I should have been making much more use of long ago?

Find something complicated (and something that you'll like) to study: particle physics, astrophysics/astronomy, music, mathematics, engineering (mechanical, for example), linguistics, etc.

If so, how do you cope with the feeling that you're "wasting" your potential?

I try not to get depressed...

Linada

Local time
Today 2:32 PM
-->
I can relate to that feeling in quite a few ways.

I never had to study very hard either. For the work i did i should have failed absolutely anything and everything. My grades did start to go down eventually and in the end i dropped out of school a year before my A-levels. I attribute it to two reasons:

I was very depressed as a teenager. I had very few friends. I was shooed away in primary school, and i was downright bullied in secondary school. I was a lot more conscious of not having friends in secondary school and that made the bullying even worse in a way. It was a hopeless hell for me. It was noticed and remarked on an awful lot. And for all of that i feel i got little help. No early intervention when i started having problems, and quite useless attempts to get me to 'function' once things got really bad.
I feel i have lost a lot of potential to that. I still get very angry thinking about it really. I wonder what could have been had i not been so emotionally broken. If i'd had the energy to put into school.

Another thing is that i never really learnt to learn. When things are easy you don't need to learn how to learn. And when it gets hard the assumption is that you know how to already. On occasion trainee teachers would try something out on us, but it was never carried over and some teachers actively went against it. I am still grappling with this part. Recognising how you learn best is a key if you want to achieve. Most people just memorise and end up not really understanding things. But understanding is a lot more hard work of course.

And now i am ill and still not achieving an awful lot :)
My family set up has helped me get a perspective on things a bit. My oldest sister is 20 years older than me, my mum 40 years older. It gives a great generational perspective. An awful lot of stuff gets crammed into the first 20 years of life. The next 20-30 years are mostly focused on child rearing, should one chose to. That leaves an awful lot of time to do stuff, provided you look after yourself and nothing bad happens. Most people by that stage have studied hard, worked hard, and had a career*. And then what?
A life is plenty of time to achieve something to be proud of. For some it takes more time than others. And it's not going to be the same thing. And it takes time to figure out what you want to do. It all takes time. Take the time.

*caveat of increasing pension ages of course

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yes, i feel like that a lot. I also get the feeling that barely anyone has the same interests or knows how to interact with me correctly. Akin to Linada I haven't been challenged in school, I usually can get A's without much effort and studying usually takes less time for me. Even after all these advantages I never feel like I'm applying myself enough.

Miss Led

Local time
-->
My big secret is that I quit school in the 9th grade. Got the GED, never went to college, worked my way up into the most prestigious secretarial level job you can possibly reach to work in a top Manhattan law firm.

Now I am 37 and thinking, well, maybe I have to really go back to school to do anything more...but for what purpose?

I guess the question is, what will bring you fulfillment? Does it have to be the use of your intelligence in gainful employment, or is simply being a lifelong learner enough to keep you fulfilled?

What I have learned about the journey of unfulfilled potential, is that the only thing to truly make you feel useful is utility.

That sense of panic that arises from not feeling useful is so hard to run away from. Most of us want to lie in bed and sleep away the pain. Maybe instead you should just choose one concrete thing to improve about yourself.

Maybe do a language course, work on typing speed, or some other concrete skill that proves to yourself that you are useful and progressing.

I dont think there will ever come a time where some of us will feel we have actually "reached" our potential.

Life is about the journey though...not the destination.

Loki

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...
Local time
Today 9:32 AM
-->
Does anyone else share these feelings? Is there anybody else who feels like they have above-average intelligence said:
Drive and ambition come from within. Challenge yourself. Turn off the television for a week and take some time to organize your thoughts. Think about the things that challenged, excited, motivated you in the past and you will quickly find your pathway back into the groove. I have experienced this same doubt many times in my life and I know for a fact that it will pass.

Your potential hasn't been wasted.

Adamastor

Local time
Today 11:32 AM
-->
Well, welcome to the club! I am in my second year of highschool out of 4, since this is an technical school. I am in situation similar to yours:

Intelligence is relative: I am not smart, there are basically dumber people that's all; I am not disciplined; I can only concentrate in small things for a short period of time, which I think it is due to my whimsical INTP nature...

The sources of my frustation?

- School is boring; without putting effort (i.e discipline) it is easy to get approved with a reasonable mark (B, A, A+, here in Brazil things are a bit different...).

That is somewhat disturbing, because, willingly or not, school takes a good deal of our time. It isn't far from truth to state that this is the place you spend most of your time... In this situation, if staying at school you do not accomplish anything, what to do? Well, it is easier to say than actually do, but

what I thought so far:

- Learning foreigner languages (not through a language course, because, in my opinian, they are a waste of time), through reading and with a dictionary in hands. If you think it is not challenging go read a russian, or original writings of Nietzsche or Marx (I have to read a few times even in my mother language!), etc.

- If you are in highschool and you do not study, like I do, try some academic competition, I think you will have a hard time... unless you are way more intelligent than me and do different (be successful *cough), of course. Set a goal, for example, international math olympiad, or a programming olympiad, there is always physics olympiad (I suck at this =P, but may be your thing).

The second is quite a really attractive solution because it requires I work on my lack of discipline... Doing well in a math, physics, programming olympiad requires an extensive knowledge background AND problem solving ability (intuition, cold logic, experience, etc).

Maybe I am wrong and this doesn't apply to you: I am putting you on the same level as me and you are some being that can effortlessy compete in the International Math Olympiad and such, but if this is not the case, that is a good goal to set your eyes on...

James Black

Local time
-->
One problem that bothers me is that I have the intelligence to keep up with the majority of people, or so I believe, I just don't have the knowledge. I'm far behind those who could be my peers, and its simply for lack of trying. I see people talking about advanced maths and advanced physics, and don't understand what they're talking about, although I know that I have the brainpower, logical understanding, and problem solving capabilities to follow the train of thought if only I had the background knowledge to build upon.

Thats something else that bothers me, as the topic suggests.

I'm really horrible with dedication. God forbid I ever have to study, because I try and fail to do so miserably. This is starting to effect me in college classes (for example Japanese. I don't know how to study, but need to in order to grasp the language. I passed the class with a 4.0, but that wasn't because of what I learned, merely because of my INTP-skills tailored toward such goals) and my general knowledge base. Things that require memorization, study, practice, and genuine effort, really give me a run for my money.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
When I was in school, I didn't care for the classes. I pretty much daydreamed my way through school, didn't do much homework, and barely graduated with about a D- average. I wanted nothing to do with school, so I never went to college. After about four years of doing manual labor out of high school, my mind felt restless. I guess i could describe it as hunger. I began writing (I've written a bunch of short stories, one novel, and have about five other novels 'in progress' right now) and reading a lot, mainly popular science books and Wikipedia.

One thing that has also helped a lot was finding this forum. I've never had many friends (I can count all of them on one finger) and never had much social interaction. I lived in my head all my life. Coming here allowed me to have 'social' interaction with people that had views other then my own. Talking with people that aren't myself has helped broaden my horizons substantially.

That all being said, now that it's about six and a half years since I (barely) graduated high school, I'm finally going to college, starting in about two weeks (on August 31st). I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that INTP's are naturally smart, but they are naturally curious, which is orders of magnitude more important then raw intelligence.

Mondorius

Oh..?
Local time
-->
When I was in school, I didn't care for the classes. I pretty much daydreamed my way through school, didn't do much homework, and barely graduated with about a D- average. I wanted nothing to do with school, so I never went to college. After about four years of doing manual labor out of high school, my mind felt restless. I guess i could describe it as hunger. I began writing (I've written a bunch of short stories, one novel, and have about five other novels 'in progress' right now) and reading a lot, mainly popular science books and Wikipedia.

One thing that has also helped a lot was finding this forum. I've never had many friends (I can count all of them on one finger) and never had much social interaction. I lived in my head all my life. Coming here allowed me to have 'social' interaction with people that had views other then my own. Talking with people that aren't myself has helped broaden my horizons substantially.

That all being said, now that it's about six and a half years since I (barely) graduated high school, I'm finally going to college, starting in about two weeks (on August 31st). I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that INTP's are naturally smart, but they are naturally curious, which is orders of magnitude more important then raw intelligence.
Are... are you my twin? :phear:

Well, I didn't quite daydream my way through highschool, I drew and listened to teachers, since I didn't really have much better to do. Never did much in the way of studying and homeworks though, but just listening got me to graduate with decent scores. Then I left school for about 5 years and did some work, as a clerk mostly. Earned money while I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, instead of getting debts trying anything that seemed remotely interesting like some acquaintances did.

Now the 5 years have passed, and I'm going to college, starting the 24th of august. I must admit, it's the first time in a while I've been excited about something.

humint

Redshirt
Local time
Today 8:32 AM
-->
I can relate to you completely. I'm a junior in high school. I'm lucky enough to have been given the opportunity to attend a charter school, which offers many college-level courses, and gives you full college credit for each one.

I've been bored in school for a long time, and I've done poorly in many of my classes - especially math. Not because of inability to learn, or lack of skill, but because I simply couldn't apply myself to the assignments that were given to me. I'd much rather spend time at home focusing on subjects of my choosing. That's something I still struggle with. But I've recently been able to focus my intense curiosity into foreign language study. By next year, I'll have three years of French and Spanish education. I'm also taking English Composition for college credit this year.

If you can find something you enjoy, and really apply yourself to advanced studies in the subject, you'll feel a lot better. I think we INTPs need to be actively engaged in some kind of intense study for us to feel like we're living up to our potential. Think of something you enjoy, and go for it!

Adamastor

Local time
-->
One problem that bothers me is that I have the intelligence to keep up with the majority of people, or so I believe, I just don't have the knowledge. I'm far behind those who could be my peers, and its simply for lack of trying. I see people talking about advanced maths and advanced physics, and don't understand what they're talking about, although I know that I have the brainpower, logical understanding, and problem solving capabilities to follow the train of thought if only I had the background knowledge to build upon.

Thats something else that bothers me, as the topic suggests.

I'm really horrible with dedication. God forbid I ever have to study, because I try and fail to do so miserably. This is starting to effect me in college classes (for example Japanese. I don't know how to study, but need to in order to grasp the language. I passed the class with a 4.0, but that wasn't because of what I learned, merely because of my INTP-skills tailored toward such goals) and my general knowledge base. Things that require memorization, study, practice, and genuine effort, really give me a run for my money.

I think I read this in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi:
When you are 8 y.o you are a genius, when you are 16 years old you are gifted, above-average. When you are 20 y.o you are average.

This really made me realize that being smart, a quick-learner can be handy sometimes, but what really matters is what you accomplish through effort, through disciple, which is logical: a corporation, probably, will not employ someone with an curriculum wrote 200 I.Q, rather a rentable competent person, graduated from a good university, or testing the person specifics skills, relevant to the job...

Well, roughly I learned that being smart or not doesn't really matter, more important, waaaay more important is discipline, patience, stubborness to effectivly accomplish something.

Discipling myself is the problem, I am trying to set goals, but I got the feeling that this is not working as I wished, still the best solution so far... Maybe my idea of accomplishing something is at fault, maybe I am just insatiable...
Argh I really don't know what I am saying anymore, this is kinda frustating, but I hope it doesn't prove to be relevant in my way of living...

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
Today 7:32 AM
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
I can totally relate. I'm nothing exceptional so far as intellect goes, but in school, only a couple classes in high school really challenged me. After graduating high school with an above average GPA, a full ride scholarship for college, and various small honors along the way, I can't help but say that I did hardly any work to get there. I hate to be praised for that. It's saddening.

What's even more saddening is that, like James Black mentioned, I totally have the brain power for higher level things, yet I'm restrained by my relative ignorance and my lack of background knowledge and discipline. The main thing that was great about school for me was that it provided structure for me so I had all the time in the world to learn. I'm horrible at giving myself structure since I still have a love/hate relationship with structure.

Is college any better for redeeming squandered knowledge, or am I still on my own?

Latro

Local time
-->
I've found school and even my first year of university easier than I'd like them to be. (IB was hard, but having done that university seems like a cakewalk). I'd like to be driven to start working on some things on my own, but I don't really know where to start. One thing I know I want to do is to start doing research as an undergrad, but again, I don't really know where to start, and I'm kinda uncomfortable just going up to a professor and asking if they have any ideas (though in the end that is probably what I'm gonna have to do).

Firehazard159

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
-->
Are... are you my twin? :phear:

Well, I didn't quite daydream my way through highschool, I drew and listened to teachers, since I didn't really have much better to do. Never did much in the way of studying and homeworks though, but just listening got me to graduate with decent scores. Then I left school for about 5 years and did some work, as a clerk mostly. Earned money while I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life, instead of getting debts trying anything that seemed remotely interesting like some acquaintances did.

Now the 5 years have passed, and I'm going to college, starting the 24th of august. I must admit, it's the first time in a while I've been excited about something.

I'm your guys' triplet >.> Rofl.

I had planned to start college this year, but made some stupid financial decisions that have set me back, I'll probably start next year or the year after, though I'm contemplating joining the air force... I just know military isn't a great place for INTP's to ...thrive. But I know I could 'get by' there, possibly better than I currently am in life. Or just end up wasting four years, falling out and being exactly where I left off :\

I'm hoping to find my way here eventually...

Local time
-->
Not trying to put the blame on anyone else but I often felt I was too smart for my parents when I was a kid. My parents split when I was really young. Other than lacking in the disciplinary area she was great. A bit too complacent IMHO but better than being an evil psycho bitch. I've known people w/ moms like that. This one I knew went awol from the marines when he was 18 and blew his head off. He always thought she was too much of a pushover and my grades sucked in school when I lived with her. It wasn't her fault, it was the damn bullying in school. My actions always got misinterpreted because of my strange personality. That always made me a target. I learned to swear at a high school level in 2nd grade to get the bullies to finally leave me alone:D Even in 6th grade my peers told me I swear too much:D:D Unfortunately I still got a bit of bullying 5th-8th grades. A few fights, won a couple, lost more. I used to get angry to the boil-over point but didn't know how to fight. Probably a good thing. Got a small bit of respect. I think some kids picked fights for entertainment. Everyone likes to watch a good fight. Luckily I didn't have to deal with the freshmen initiation rites in HS tho. I was still an outcast.

I'm not sure what my dad's personality type is but we were just different enough to where he didn't quite know how to motivate me properly. I would always get dragged to church even though it did nothing for me. I never felt right inside a church when I was a kid, something just seemed wrong about it. Probably my I/P - intuitive perception. A lot of the people are good people but maybe its a like a phony type of good. I dunno, I could never quite put my finger on it. It just seemed so forcefully. I never got beaten or anything like that, but I feel like maybe mental abuse? I barely got much privacy/independence when I was a teenager and I think that may be what got me off on the wrong path. My room from when I was 14-18 sucked balls. My little sisters had to go through it to get to their room, yet there was a room downstairs I wanted, but all they used it for was this hand-me-down piano that sucked and some wicker furniture. an art room I guess. Barely got played for 3 years. His reason, he wanted to force more interaction between me and the family because of my reclusive nature. Maybe he didn't like the idea of me having a room I could easily sneak out of or sneak girls into - not that I got many girls in school. I could have but all the factors combined to give me no self-esteem at all. I call it mental abuse. Maybe I could have made a stronger argument for the room. Something tells me he would not have listened no matter what argument I made. Maybe I should have rebelled more, if I was back at that age again I would have taken an axe to everything in that art room as I call it, knowing what I know now. Like even when I was as old as 16 my father didn't like me watching certain tv shows, certain music, etc.... This one time he took my cd's away and said I could have them back when I was 18 so I took all his music and hid it and said he could have it back when I got mine back. This was a fair trade. I probably could have benefitted from more mature shows/movies when I was a kid. Maybe not, who knows? At least South Park was okay for me to watch, that show came out when I was about 16.

Sorry to make this post mostly about my father but I feel that if he had known how to deal with me a little better, shown me more understanding instead of expecting me to have to do things his way or not at all without explaining anything. He always said I was trying to make it a power struggle but yet when I'd do something that didn't seem like a big deal, like come home a little bit late or watch an inappropriate show or express my annoyance with my little sisters or something, he would be all like "Its the rules of the house," and wouldn't give me a reason other than that. I suppose he just wanted control of the one thing in life that he could control, the house and the kids. He usually meant well, but you know what the they say about good intentions. I just hope too much of that didn't rub off on me. If anyone made it through this post I'm not trying to just selfishly present my problems. Hopefully I could provide some insight for somebody, I'm sure there are similar situations out there. I am 26 now but I can't help but feel like I'm quite a few years behind where I should be. When I was 8 I was as smart as an average high school student. I am glad I didn't have the ambition to skip grades though. I would be even more behind socially than I am now. It doesn't help that every 3-5 years we would move and I would have to change to a new school. I wasn't an army brat or anything, my dad was actually anti-military, anti-gun. I kinda wish he had been a bit more of the masculine type. Hunting would have been sweet to learn as a teen even though it probably would have bored the hell out of me. Better than being dragged to church though. There is a bit more to my past and the situations but that pretty much covers the majority, this post is already long enough. Here's something to lighten the mood
:smoker::storks::smoker::confused::D

Edit: Oh, the main reason I didn't raise even more of a fuss w/ my father was because I knew I was stuck w/ him till I was at least 18 and I didn't wanna always be at odds w/ him. We still had our fights tho, that is inevitable.

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I was looking around regarding self discipline and i found a few steps. I'm guessing scheduling has a lot to do with self discipline, maybe this is why it's so hard for INTPs.

* Schedule a particular task in the morning and once in the evening.
* The task should not take more than 15 minutes.
* Wait for the exact scheduled time.
When the schedule time is due, start the task.
* Stick to the schedule for at least two months.

James Black

Local time
-->
Stick to the schedule for at least two months!? Does anyone else find that step highly unlikely?

Razare

Local time
-->
Something about being confined to a schedule gives me excessive anxiety. I show up to work 5 minutes late, just so I'm not confined by the schedule. I say I'm going to start something, then procrastinate past when I intended to begin, just so I didn't adhere to the schedule.

This is probably the most unhealthy aspect of my personality and have no clue how to deal with it. Base motivations supersede logic in these instances.

dwags222

Local time
-->
its not like its your duty to use your potential for anything other than doing what you want. if you really want to use it, then use it, but if you don't then thats totally legit too.

Salwan

Redshirt
Local time
-->
It takes losing your way completely in order to really find your purpose, just a little theory I have.

I think this state you are in now is part of the solution.. :)

(excuse my short reply as I am writing this through the mobile)

Miss Led

Local time
-->
I show up to work 5 minutes late, just so I'm not confined by the schedule.

This is probably the most unhealthy aspect of my personality and have no clue how to deal with it. Base motivations supersede logic in these instances.

This was one of my "things" as well. I made it my singular goal of the day to get to work on time, even early, and it did wonders to improve my self esteem.

The fact is that life MUST have schedule and routine at times, and teaching yourself the skills to adhere to them when necessary is an important part of maturing as an INTP.

I find the lack of tolerance for schedule and routine almost toddler-like. In order to thrive, it is imperative to teach ourselves this discipline.

(This was accomplished by me in regards to work schedule adherance at the age of 35...I hope some of you can do better than that!)

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 1:32 AM
-->
James - I'm in the same spot, although I have huge and apparently unresolvable issues with my intelligence. Salwan's point also struck home. I feel like the only thing I can do is patiently wait this out; keep walking till I reach the light again. Hitting rock bottom facilitates clarification.

To answer your questions more directly:
Yes, I share the same feelings, although I have doubts about whether I truly possess much potential at all. The fact that there's some going to waste though is fairly obvious. I can't really cope with the waste or the doubt.

I don't have any great suggestions beyond advising you to simply take action. Don't get trapped in the downward-spiralling and ultimately unproductive (in terms of the tangible results you're speaking of) theory roundabout. Just choose one area you're interested in and start learning about it. Once you get started things tend to sort themselves out, and you'll refine your system and improve efficiency along the way.

Adamastor

Local time
-->
Is college any better for redeeming squandered knowledge, or am I still on my own?

Well, It will take about 2 years yet for me to go to college, but my cousin told me that when she went to university she and her class only got approved for the first year because of the teacher's pity... Apparently no one told them that they had had to know beforehand elementar Calculus standard and the teacher was like "It's not my problem".

Personally, I like this situation, because differently from school in this case there is no hope at all in passing a year without struggling to learn things out of whims of the professor (If I remember correctly, the first course she did was chemistry or somehting like that...).

So, I'd like to believe that yes college is better than highschool/junior school and you are still on your on o.o

Stick to the schedule for at least two months!? Does anyone else find that step highly unlikely?

Me o/ . I already thought about it and "tried", needless to say it failed miserably... Maybe I will try it again, I too think this is the logical way to do it, maybe I will drag someone with me since I am not capable of doing it alone... Also I believe doing it at home, for example, difficults the process because it is a familiar environment, so going to new places might help too (I read something in "Open Sesame" about the guy being unable to study at home, so he went to the library because it was easir to concentrate...)

Berkeley

Local time
-->
Ya i've seen some striking similarities to my own life here. I was also the type of person to NEVER study. I just usually got everything. And like someone else mentioned, I never really learned how to learn. So when I got to college the first time and some subjects started to get too advanced to just et, I failed miserably because I wouldn't study or do homework.

For awhile, I felt pretty purposeless, and mostly drowned my feelings with lots of alcohol and weed. (Weed is a great anti-depressant, pulled me out of more then one depression)

However, I finally went to school last summer, took a philosophy class and everything changed. Philosophy sparked my interest more than any other subject ever could and now I am on the road to a degree in it. It has also got me so much more on track for other subjects, and I'm working on a minor in physics.

I felt like my potential had been wasted as well, and would often wonder how I could be so 'smart' yet still dumb enough to not use my intelligence. I felt like I must be extra dumb or something because even though I had the talent I just chose not to use it, and what intelligent person would do that?

I think the main thing you should do is find that thing which sparks your interest. An INTP with a sparked interest can do some amazing things.

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yep, those feelings of wasted potential are familiar companions. Part of it comes from being unable to turn off my brain. So when I am doing one thing, that little voice in the back of my head is telling me about 5 other things I could be doing instead. No matter what I do, then, I am less aware of my 1 success than my 5 failures.

For me, the best cure is to work on something that happens in real-time, often something that requires practice. Others have mentioned music and languages and teaching, all of which are great. Swimming helps me, too.

For me, a serious funk like you are describing generally lasts between a week and 2 months, and then I find a way out of it. I hope it is the same for you, and that this feeling fades soon for you.

Local time
-->
I fall into "is it really gonna make a difference if I do or don't do this?" syndrome and then settle for the lazier path ultimately selling myself short

juturna

Local time
-->
I've never really studied. For anything. In High School, everything came naturally to me, and I was more of a sponge than anything else: after hearing something once, I knew it.

I'm in my fourth year of high school and I think the last time I actually tried studying for school was my first semester freshman year.
I don't put in any effort on projects, essays, or homework and pretty much survive off the weight of tests that I can easily take without studying.

You're not alone.

Local time
-->
I think a lot of us INTPs would be better off later on if school was designed so we would/did have to study in school. The other dumbasses would be screwed though. Normal school would be the special ed class :) The most I ever studied in high school was 15 min. before the test to verify I would do ok. Never did homework except for the class the teacher would give detention for not doing homework. Sometimes I could just use an old homework assignment when he checked at beginning of class and did the homework in class lol.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
^ No kidding. The closest I got to that level in high school was a couple of my AP classes, and studying for an AP test without the course. I think I'd be good to go if the homework were actually constructive, and the classes were a notch above the hardest classes I've had.

Many times I've dreamed of having to apply for various high schools, so I could get into something more specialized, something like the current college process. I've done something similar for a specialized art program, and it was some of the best time I had in school so far.

I also seldom studied for anything except for a small review before tests, with only a few exceptions.

Bluey

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Wow reading this thread has made me want to step on the pedal, STAT. I still have time, I'm entering my freshman year of highschool. The eighth grade has been a year wasted though.... It's nice to touch base with my INTP roots. I found out I was an INTP last year but I stopped reading threads because, honestly, they were a bit too depressing, and I felt like I was putting myself into a "box." Recently I've become interested in skin care and make up, mostly skin care though. Learning about different products and ingredients. I wanted to become a dermatologist but it's really hard to get the job. you have to go through medical school and you still might not get it. Now I gotta learn as many languages as I can before my sponge is soaked. I already feel like I've wasted tooo much time in my life being idle.... I gotta grab the reins and steer.

Local time
-->
I wish I had taken more languages when I was younger. Latin, Japanese and Greek would be nice.

Top Bottom