• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Valerian Root

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Yesterday 9:32 PM
-->
I have started taking Valerian root for my depression and anxiety. I have to say that it's work amazingly. It's minld enough to keep me from being loopy or drugged out, and it's affective enough to keep me in a more calm mood.

I'm not sure how well it works for others. Valerian is supposed to have sedative like affects. I'm one of a small percentage that is affected by it as a stimulant. I did read that it could have this affect in the fatigued, but I'm not sure if chronic pain is could be considered fatigue. Either way, I'm loving the affects.

I feel as sharp as I did before my depression started. It's nice to feel like I can actually pick up the pieces of my life, rebuild, and move on. I'm even serious about going back to college and finishing my BA. On top of all this, my dreams are so vivid. They seem more real that usual.

I've experienced no negative affects yet. I'm sure one or two might pop up though. The only thing negative so far, could be that I think I'm going to get addicted. I'm almost 100% certain that I'll get addicted. But for now that is the risk I'm willing to take to get me out of this rut.

I'm not just using the root to make life better. I'm also adopting a more positive attitude, through thinking about why I'm getting upset and working it out in my mind. I feel that using any anti depressant,anxiety without thinking about the cause is foolish and irresponsible.

This all being said, has anyone else used valerian, or other herbal remedies, to help them through some sort of mental ailment (Be it depression or sleep issues) and would they be willing to share their experience with it? I'll count marijuana as herbal if the conversation needs to be expanded to that.

The Observer

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I took Valerian root at one point and it helped my insomnia and OCD a little bit. I don't know if I took it long enough or regularly enough for it to help that drastically. As for side effects, I didn't experience any.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
I've used valerian root, St. John's wort and 5-htp for similar reasons. I usually become resistant to their effects after only taking them a couple times a week. After long times of not taking them I'll notice improved mood and a general increase in the quality of sleep and work.

Double_V

Local time
Yesterday 11:32 PM
-->
I've planted Valerian in the yard. It has a very small throated pink/coral flower hummingbirds are attracted to. I bought the plant for aabout 3 dollars after having had the root (fairly inexpensive as well). Historically it has been used to relax. George Washington used it on his step daughter to to reduce the seizures she suffered from, altho she did eventually die from one of them. I keep it on hand for the same reason, if the world goes to hell I like to have a Plan B in the medicinal catagory.

I have taken it as as a sleep aid on rare occasion but wake up feeling I was more 'out' than (my) normal. But well rested. I tend to be very optimistic anyway so no report there.

Vitamin D3 helps with mood, so does exposure to light. For me, if I am in a funk that's usually the fix.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->
This is interesting. How did you learn about Valerian Root?

I remember reading on a web site about common herbal remedies. It mentioned that valum was derived from valerian. So I did a shit ton of research into it. There is info about it all over the web. As soon as I started mentioning it to friends and family I discovered that almost everyone I know knows a person that tried it.

Minimalist

"The wise man knows that he knows nothing" or some
Local time
-->
Lithium orotate. Kiss emotions goodbye. Boredom is an emotion, which makes this particular substance quite effective when circumstances demand you to be productive when uninterested.

Top Bottom