• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Using Different Voices When Talking

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 12:51 AM
-->
Do you use different voices while talking to different groups of people? I know I do, and I've definitely noticed others doing this as well. For instance, my ENFP friend was renowned for how he would talk to different cliques of people. He'd talk to Europeans as an English man (don't ask me why), and he'd talk to black people as if he was 50 Cent (he's since stopped doing this), and he'd talk to Americans in his normal voice (or at least what I think is his normal). I already know that INTPs are known for their chameleon social bevaviors, so I guess obviously that includes our voice as well. Do you have a certain number of voices you use, particularly with certain groups of people? Or do you just try to talk the same way to everyone you speak with?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 6:51 AM
-->
:) Quite. Most are out of the result of intuition and the playful nature of trying to create more interesting conversations. Though It bothers me when I have to talk to two groups I have used different "voices" on. And how some, at their realization, would ask "Why are you talking that way?". I find that question hard to answer. And the "default" still exist...methinks.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
Today 2:51 AM
-->
Yeah, it often happens without me even thinking about it. I sometimes have to make myself stop just so I won't seem too 'fake.' I don't usually exaggerate it too much though. It's more of an inflection and slight change of tone than a completely different voice.

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
Ohh yesss, I have several, not only for groups but even some for individual persons...

It sometimes gets very weird or awkward when somebody who belongs to a certain group for some reason or another sees you with another group, behaving completely differently, and you're not entirely sure what to do or say...

It's not that you are hiding a true self behind masks... it's more like you only allow people to see select fragments of the self...

KazeCraven

crazy raven
Local time
Today 1:51 AM
-->
I never really noticed such a thing, but maybe that's why I talk very little when groups change. Now that I think about it, that's probably for a different reason though.

I do know that I have a much different attitude, at least initially, talking to guys vs girls.

As far as when groups collide, I'm pretty sure I just stick with the more 'personable' attitude. Still not sure about voice change. It's usually a stereotypical thing though, kind of like OP's friend: blacks, germans, etc. I know for a fact that I imitate accents when talking one-on-one (not deliberately).

Excellent

Bloop beep bop.
Local time
Yesterday 11:51 PM
-->
Yes. My tone and way of speaking changes depending on who I am talking to. I usually unconsciously try to match up with how they speak. I don't think it's super obvious though. I've been told by my family and closest friends though that generally I understate things (unless I'm over explaining things), and that my voice is pretty deadpan.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
I guess I have a couple.

I used to work as a tech consultant and much of my work was by phone w/ clients. One of my coworkers once commented that when I'm on the phone my voice sounds like the ship's "voice" from Battlestar Galactica. :confused: My friends are also kind of thrown because that 'voice' is the one that I talk to people I'm uncomfortable around in and I've been the butt of a few jokes when people listen to my voice mail (apparently it takes a while to tell that I'm not the "default" voice that does the preset messages. :mad:) .

Apart from that I've noticed that I sound louder and my pacing is faster when I argue or explain an idea / story / gadget, etc that I find intensely novel or fascinating.

y4r5xeym5

Lurker Extraordinaire
Local time
-->
The only time I really talk in a different voice is if I'm telling a story aloud (as each character needs their own voice, duh) or if I'm being silly and want to talk funny. Word on the street says I have a pretty decent Sean Connery voice. ;)

citrusbreath95

Tourist of this dimension
Local time
-->
Yeah I often do this as well. When I'm with my closer friends/aquaintences I can be quite goofy and playful thus my tone/voice reflects this. When I'm around people I don't know as well I talk rather monotone and softly (you have no idea how many people have told me to speak up!) I suppose the way I talk is also influenced on my mood for the day. If I'm in a more analytic mood I talk in an uninteresting, dull way, and if I'm feeling creative/lively my voice is more energetic. I assume the reason for the dynamics of my voice is because of my chameleon-like nature of trying to blend in with my surroundings to avoid any unneeded distress. Yes, I've often pondered whether this is to be described as being a fake, though I conclude it must not be. I am not changing my views on anyone/anything, nor twisting my thoughts/opinions to accomodate the needs of others. I am rather adjusting my style, my way of presenting such, in order to be accepted by whatever individual/group is involved so my argument is considered. And if there is no argument involved, then it's merely so I can observe a little more closely, and perhaps even tolerate
(or even enjoy) their company more... I usually get along decently with the majority of people I associate with because of this (I presume).

ijustprotectedmyidentity

Local time
-->
Yes, I've often pondered whether this is to be described as being a fake, though I conclude it must not be. I am not chaning my views on anyone/anything, nor twisting my thoughts/opinions to accomodate the needs of others. I am rather adjusting my style, my way of presenting such, in order to be accepted by whatever individual/group is involved so my argument is considered. And if there is no argument involved, then it's merely so I can observe a little more closely, and perhaps even tolerate
(or even enjoy) their company more... I usually get along decently with the majority of people I associate with because of this (I presume).

nice way to rationalize your conformity and your individuality. just listen to yourself, you totally are rationalizing your - do you semll that?? yeah its BULLSHIT

shall i quote you??

if you think you are free, there is no chance of escaping ahahhaha

Last edited by a moderator:

citrusbreath95

Local time
-->
s.
nice way to rationalize your conformity and your individuality. just listen to yourself, you totally are rationalizing your - do you semll that?? yeah its BULLSHIT

shall i quote you??

if you think you are free, there is no chance of escaping ahahhaha

I am not comforming to society nor individuals' needs as I have already said. If so, then I would change my thoughts and opinions around others to please them. If so, then I would be like an entirely different person when around specific individuals, which proves false. I'm not rationalizing anything, I'm merely stating where I stand. I still stand by who I am with everyone, and I don't take on a new character, I just show different sides of myself, which really make up who I am. So I'm not being a fake in the process. No, it's not BS.

ijustprotectedmyidentity

Local time
-->
the key here is that you dont express your thoughts and opinioins because like all pussy intps they dont want to stand out and are self doubting mofos but theres nothing wrong w/ that

citrusbreath95

Local time
-->
the key here is that you dont express your thoughts and opinioins because like all pussy intps they dont want to stand out and are self doubting mofos but theres nothing wrong w/ that

Yes I understand what you're saying, and it is something I need to work on; expressing thoughts and opinions more. Though, if the situation called for, I wouldn't be afraid to do so. This of course being, if I knew what was being said was incorrect or I really needed to add my thoughts into a decision, etc. Yet, I'm even still the oddball in my group of friends/aquaintences, and this is from when I do share my thoughts and how I act (even if I can relate to the specific group)

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
I am not comforming to society nor individuals' needs as I have already said. If so, then I would change my thoughts and opinions around others to please them. If so, then I would be like an entirely different person when around specific individuals, which proves false. I'm not rationalizing anything, I'm merely stating where I stand. I still stand by who I am with everyone, and I don't take on a new character, I just show different sides of myself, which really make up who I am. So I'm not being a fake in the process. No, it's not BS.

I completely agree with this and your previous post as well.

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Sure, I have different voices.

Presentation voice is very loud and the sentences are short, the vocabulary consists of common words, and there are few qualifiers such as "I think" or "In all likelihood."

Little kid voice is higher in pitch and the sentences are short, the vocabulary consists of common words (but is at an adult level), and there are many qualifiers as I demonstrate out loud how I am coming up with answers.

Dear friends and family voice is filled with long sentences and unusual words, puns and wordplay, and no extra effort is taken to change the volume or pitch.

Competitive nerd voice is like a hostile version of the voice I use with friends, delivered in a sneering, deadpan way. (Kind of fake, and I'm not proud of this.)

Professional voice is as melodic as I can make it, with lots of social niceties and absolutely nothing revealed about my actual thoughts. It is quite fake.

And the list goes on. I agree with citrusbreath that it is a matter of showing different parts of myself, rather than something fake. The point is to communicate, so I pick the most efficient and compatible way to speak to others. I don't think I'm being fake if I trim my vocabulary to match my audience's needs and expectations, or change my pitch and volume to make it easier for them to understand me.

Alice?

Local time
-->
The only time I really talk in a different voice is if I'm telling a story aloud (as each character needs their own voice, duh) or if I'm being silly and want to talk funny. Word on the street says I have a pretty decent Sean Connery voice. ;)

Word on the street's pretty damn accurate in this case ;)

s0nystyle

La la la la la!
Local time
-->
My voice adjusts to my mood and whom i'm speaking to, but most of the time i just sound like a faerie who's head is stuck in the clouds :o

Thaklaar

Local time
-->
God yes. I don't just change the manner of my speech, I take on accents. At work I sound like an East Texas redneck (which describes most of my co-workers). Talking to family I sound like some dude from the pacific northwest (which I am). Then I have the College Professor Expounding on Something-or-Other voice. And occasionally I sound British for no readily discernible reason (though it does seem to strangely coincide with Flying Circus marathons on PBS). None of this is particularly conscious. I sound normal at home, but if my wife calls me at work she gets the King of the Rednecks.

babrock

Local time
-->
I would think this behaivior to be more likely from an INFP as they would be more in tune w others feelings and such. But I know that i do it myself sometimes as well.

typus

is resting down in Cornwall
Local time
Today 7:51 AM
-->
Okay, so I guess I'm the only one who most always speaks with the same voice? :slashnew:

Oh, also: was it correct to write 'speaks' or should it have been speak?

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 1:51 PM
-->
well i automatically transform the way i talk into the way they talk and i dont know why. hell after being on the intpforum for a couple days i sound all cocky and flamboyant in my head .

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
It's not that you are hiding a true self behind masks... it's more like you only allow people to see select fragments of the self...

So, basically this. I have very different voices for different people and different purposes. I've only been called out on it once, when I was answering the phone. Apparently my voice jumps an octave and I sound creepishly cheerful.

bumsyspin

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Yep, I chameleonize my voice as well. When talking with serious people in a discussion, vs talking with say a girl I can be really childlike with. Usually it's just mirroring the other people, for me.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
I noticed this as early as middle school. And I still do it to this day. Subconsciously I adapt to the way other people are talking, unless I find it highly offensive.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I use different tones of voice, based on need. I speak one way with co-workers, another with subordinates, several different ways with my wife and kids, etc., etc.

I often use similar turns of phrase with people. For example, one friend is the kind of guy who is into hunting and fishing and trucks and beer, so, with him, I'm more prone to swear, etc. I have other friends who are more academically inclined, with them I might use certain kinds of terms that I wouldn't with others.

I teach at both a high school and a university, and my two student populations are vastly different from each other. So, I adopt different vocabularies for each group.

Etc.

I do not, however, use different voices, per se, or rely on accents.

Dave

Justkiki

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm so glad to find this...I've noticed that I use multiple voices sometimes even in the presence of just one person. Its embarrassing yet I honestly can't help it. It apparently makes me seem "crazy" even tho I'm totally conscious of everything. Sometimes I go hours or days not speaking BC I'm scared of what voice will come out and how long before another one takes its place... Sometimes I can transition from persons to persons without it being too noticeable but for those that actually spend time around me..they could end up hearing 4or 5 voices...how do I make it stop

Top Bottom