• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Troubles with Compliments?

Adymus

Banned
Local time
Today 5:28 AM
-->
Why cant I just be lazy. Why do I have to spell it out?

yes I said that every person has an agenda. Everyone does. Aside from that dont look at compliments as inherently bad. They dont always reflect an agenda. "Use your glorius brain" to determine if an agenda is being played.

One way in which Im sure Im an INTP, is one weakness that has pervaded my life. My tendency not to hold the listeners hand. My tendency to let them infer based on my statements my full meaning.

And how old are you? This constant slandering of me as an INTJ, or anything else, is a cop out. Im 35, and have known I was a INTP since '94 or so? I have taken the test and studied my types weakness for years. I have seen the light. Im not in the INTP cave anymore, yet still one. My only agenda is to help others see options.
That is not a very good reason for your certainty at all. INTPs are misunderstood, but that has more to do with our trouble with articulation and opposition to cultural norms more than it does the person not seeing the full extent of our Ni (which we don't have but you do.)

I'm 24, but my age is completely irrelevant to my knowledge for personality psychology. First of all, I never said you were an INTJ, because you are damn sure not a T. Secondly I am sure your test came out INTP, I don't doubt that at all. What I do doubt is your understanding of the types. Sometime ago I explained how you are using Fe and Ni, and you referred to that as "MBTI Babble", I am going to assume that was an indication that you are not familiar with cognitive processes. If you don't understand how cognitive processes work, you don't understand MBTI, period.

I'd speculate that when you were younger you had a very underdeveloped Fe for an INFJ, and the MBTI test detected your weak Fe, stronger Ti, and your Ni and concluded you were an INTP. This is actually the very reason that it is extremely common for INFJs to be mistyped as INTPs. As you got older your probably began to work on your Fe, and it fell back into balance. Now that you are older and a normally developed INFJ, you still have this idea that you are an evolved INTP with super strong Fe, and magical powers of insight and worldview. I hate to tell you this buddy, but when an INTP develops their functions they don't turn into INFJs, a developed INTP will still be exactly like an INTP, only more competent with their polar functions. And their worldview will certainly not become their number one focus and priority.

Now I wouldn't call my accusations of your type "slander" Because there is nothing wrong with being an INFJ, in fact, I think you would love being one of your kind if you just accepted it.

I am actually 100% certain of my analysis of you. It's the smell! And I detected that Ni-Fe smell off of you the minute you joined this forum. I am all too familiar with the INFJ's worldview, ambitions, thinking style, speaking style, and just over all swagger to make this mistake with you. You trying to charade as an INTP is like a Zebra trying to blend in with horses. You say things like "i dont have any agenda other than opening you wall flowers into full blossom."
The idea of being the enlightened Guru/Massiah who shepherds others into enlightenment is so blatantly INFJ that it is practically a cliche. You see "the way to enlightenment" in your Ni, and then you try and push it into society with your Fe. We INTPs don't push worldviews onto people, we just don't, it's not in our nature and we would get no pleasure out of attempting it. We will happily dissect other people's worldviews and tell them why they are wrong, but we wouldn't be caught dead attempting to sculpt society to fit our design.

I'm not pointing this out simply to bother you, I am just giving you the heads up, because you being a different type than us is going to be an extremely important factor in your quest to try and turn us into you.

If I know my INFJs, which I do, then I am also fairly certain you are going to just ignore everything I wrote in this post and continue claiming you are an INTP... But I am really hoping I can at least pierce a little of that Ni of yours.

bluesquid

Local time
Today 8:28 AM
-->
That is not a very good reason for your certainty at all. INTPs are misunderstood, but that has more to do with our trouble with articulation and opposition to cultural norms more than it does the person not seeing the full extent of our Ni (which we don't have but you do.)

I'm 24, but my age is completely irrelevant to my knowledge for personality psychology. First of all, I never said you were an INTJ, because you are damn sure not a T. Secondly I am sure your test came out INTP, I don't doubt that at all. What I do doubt is your understanding of the types. Sometime ago I explained how you are using Fe and Ni, and you referred to that as "MBTI Babble", I am going to assume that was an indication that you are not familiar with cognitive processes. If you don't understand how cognitive processes work, you don't understand MBTI, period.

I'd speculate that when you were younger you had a very underdeveloped Fe for an INFJ, and the MBTI test detected your weak Fe, stronger Ti, and your Ni and concluded you were an INTP. This is actually the very reason that it is extremely common for INFJs to be mistyped as INTPs. As you got older your probably began to work on your Fe, and it fell back into balance. Now that you are older and a normally developed INFJ, you still have this idea that you are an evolved INTP with super strong Fe, and magical powers of insight and worldview. I hate to tell you this buddy, but when an INTP develops their functions they don't turn into INFJs, a developed INTP will still be exactly like an INTP, only more competent with their polar functions. And their worldview will certainly not become their number one focus and priority.

Now I wouldn't call my accusations of your type "slander" Because there is nothing wrong with being an INFJ, in fact, I think you would love being one of your kind if you just accepted it.

I am actually 100% certain of my analysis of you. It's the smell! And I detected that Ni-Fe smell off of you the minute you joined this forum. I am all too familiar with the INFJ's worldview, ambitions, thinking style, speaking style, and just over all swagger to make this mistake with you. You trying to charade as an INTP is like a Zebra trying to blend in with horses. You say things like "i dont have any agenda other than opening you wall flowers into full blossom."
The idea of being the enlightened Guru/Massiah who shepherds others into enlightenment is so blatantly INFJ that it is practically a cliche. You see "the way to enlightenment" in your Ni, and then you try and push it into society with your Fe. We INTPs don't push worldviews onto people, we just don't, it's not in our nature and we would get no pleasure out of attempting it. We will happily dissect other people's worldviews and tell them why they are wrong, but we wouldn't be caught dead attempting to sculpt society to fit our design.

I'm not pointing this out simply to bother you, I am just giving you the heads up, because you being a different type than us is going to be an extremely important factor in your quest to try and turn us into you.

If I know my INFJs, which I do, then I am also fairly certain you are going to just ignore everything I wrote in this post and continue claiming you are an INTP... But I am really hoping I can at least pierce a little of that Ni of yours.

you sure your not one?

You have put alot of time and energy into me. I find it flattering.

I too have put alot of time and energy into me. While you use the net, I actually own many books on the subject. Shit I still have the VHS tape, "Please Understand me". pm me your address. You can have it.

I think the hardest part of overcoming my INTP ness was the flights of fancy. How I could construct a plausable world out of diverse facts. It was mental excercise, but not based in reality. Ti to the max. Couch that ability in Se and you migh have something.

as you get older your least preferred do show thru. page 61 of "Your Key To Sports Success" says.

",,, the tertiary develops somewhere near the ages 20 to 35; and the least preferred function emerges last-after 35 or so"

Little buddy, I passed Ni a ways ago, and am dealing with Fi. So I will share an intuition.

your a scared and angry little boy. At 24, your not familliar with anything. And I am using Fe not giving you both barrels.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
you sure your not one?

You have put alot of time and energy into me. I find it flattering.

I too have put alot of time and energy into me. While you use the net, I actually own many books on the subject. Shit I still have the VHS tape, "Please Understand me". pm me your address. You can have it.

I think the hardest part of overcoming my INTP ness was the flights of fancy. How I could construct a plausable world out of diverse facts. It was mental excercise, but not based in reality. Ti to the max. Couch that ability in Se and you migh have something.

as you get older your least preferred do show thru. page 61 of "Your Key To Sports Success" says.

",,, the tertiary develops somewhere near the ages 20 to 35; and the least preferred function emerges last-after 35 or so"

Little buddy, I passed Ni a ways ago, and am dealing with Fi. So I will share an intuition.

your a scared and angry little boy. At 24, your not familliar with anything. And I am using Fe not giving you both barrels.
Wow... Just wow...

And Keirsey's work was complete garbage, no wonder you have no idea what you are talking about.

I use far more than just the net bud... And I really haven't spent that much time on you, I recognized your disposition almost instantly. Deep analysis was not necessary because you painted such an obvious picture. Like I said, it's like seeing Zebra try to hide among horses.

But I am clearly wasting my time, so this will most likely be the last time I am going to point out your INFJness, unless I am bored and feel like teasing you.

bluesquid

Local time
-->
Wow... Just wow...

And Keirsey's work was complete garbage, no wonder you have no idea what you are talking about.

I use far more than just the net bud... And I really haven't spent that much time on you, I recognized your disposition almost instantly. Deep analysis was not necessary because you painted such an obvious picture. Like I said, it's like seeing Zebra try to hide among horses.

But I am clearly wasting my time, so this will most likely be the last time I am going to point out your INFJness, unless I am bored and feel like teasing you.

Tape was included simply to show length of my intrest. repeating the horse metaphor?

Kinda beating a dead hosre arent you?

See what I did there?

Mello

Gone.
Local time
-->
I think you two should get married and live happily ever after.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Tape was included simply to show length of my intrest. repeating the horse metaphor?

Kinda beating a dead hosre arent you?

See what I did there?
Great job.

sniktawekim

Local time
-->
Someone gave me a compliment the other day. I stared at it for a while as if it were a ticking time bomb. I did not know what to do with it. I thanked the person who gave it to me, of course, but i realized that I have never learned to deal with such rare things in a proper manner. I have troubles with being complimented and I was wondering "Is this an INTP thing or just my own individual quirk?"

There was a time when if someone complimented me, I would avoid that person to the best of my ability. For example, I had a girl friend once tell me she thought I was good-looking, so I dumped her...

me too, i often just completely deny the compliment with a quiet voice as if trying to pass it off, and bring focus to something else other than characteristics of me...
but i thought it was a schizoid thing, not an intp thing.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
me too, i often just completely deny the compliment with a quiet voice as if trying to pass it off, and bring focus to something else other than characteristics of me...
but i thought it was a schizoid thing, not an intp thing.
You might come to find that there are many schizoid things that are also INTP things.

saihtlen

Redshirt
Local time
-->
The problem with compliments is that - try as I might - I can never see it coming (probably because of my trance-like state of doing what naturally comes to me to do). My automatic response is to play down the idea behind that compliment or simply mutter 'thanks', while feeling really awkward. Expectations can be distracting at times. . . due to my inclination to explore this compliment then get drawn to it and end up feeling bad for a while.

bluesquid

Local time
-->
You might come to find that there are many schizoid things that are also INTP things.

wow no one read the schizoid thread?

bluesquid

Local time
-->

LAM

Local time
Today 11:28 PM
-->
An >intellectual< verbal spar that ended with emotional, illogical and unnecessary mocking. I am deeply disapointed :evil:

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:28 PM
-->
I get compliments alot as well, but I can't respond to them, I don't know how they want me to react, how the expect me to react. Nor do I know myself.
It's just awkward. I usually just say thanks or something like "Naah" I'm very modest.

I don't have the sligthest problem handing them out though. If one deserves compliments, I give the person compliments.

chaomon

Local time
Today 8:28 PM
-->
I'm not good accepting compliments although I want to be appreciated. I cant see the sincerity cause sometimes it maybe sounds like a compliment but its a insult.

Top Bottom