• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

the overly repetitive african names thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 6:54 AM
-->
benukenke oku-boru besekene akubou bou-bou bokenke

bassimou oudou doubou beksanekesanu anu-buto tobukemu

kumoksuno ksumoksete eru-moktu butobou oku-uko

continue

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 5:54 AM
-->

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 292

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Reference 2 mainstream 4 U? Fine...

Mabakoko wikiliki tumininu oreofe obofukolo.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
And the purpose of this thread is?

To make people say that ^
And waste time writing this:
Bono bunku malabakino tumefuro ganbofume

This forum is mostly composed of people wasting their time putting-off doing something productive.

Inb4 oubliette
:elephant:

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 10:54 PM
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever
mbakwe^5

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
To make people say that ^
And waste time writing this:
Bono bunku malabakino tumefuro ganbofume

This forum is mostly composed of people wasting their time putting-off doing something productive.

Inb4 oubliette
:elephant:

Am i the only one noticing an undercurrent of racism? :confused:

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Yes, Please open the overly repetitive Asian names thread, and the overly repetitive European names thread, and the overly repetitive American names thread and many others to eliminate the racism.

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Yes, Please open the overly repetitive Asian names thread, and the overly repetitive European names thread, and the overly repetitive American names thread and many others to eliminate the racism.

That's not eliminating racism, that's covering it up.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
That's not eliminating racism, that's covering it up.

:eek: Am I being racist :confused:...well, ummmm....I am parodying a language that happens to have a lot of "g" "b" and "o" sounds in it, it is how African languages such as yoruba appear to my untrained ear, and those are in appearance the most reiterated phonems in said language . I certainly don't mean to denigrate any cultures or races by it, and I'm sure there's great and beautiful poetry in yoruba.

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
:eek: Am I being racist :confused:...well, ummmm....I am parodying a language that happens to have a lot of "g" "b" and "o" sounds in it, it is how African languages such as yoruba appear to my untrained ear, and those are in appearance the most reiterated phonems in said language . I certainly don't mean to denigrate any cultures or races by it, and I'm sure there's great and beautiful poetry in yoruba.

Yes, and other great parodists of the centuries have put similarly herculian effort into crafting their elaborate ironic commentary on jews always counting their gold coins, black people's affection towards disproportionally large rear ends, asians over-reliance on rice cultivation, etc. etc.

What language exactly are you parodying?
Last time i checked there are a few thousand languages on the african continent.
I guess khoisan was dropped due to technical difficulties.

It may not be intentional, but this thread fits the definition of cultural racism to the t.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Verily, ye are all guilty. The fetid stench of thine privilege is an odor most foul to mine righteous nostrils.

Hark! Repent and self-flagellate ye sinners.

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Verily, ye are all guilty. The fetid stench of thine privilege is an odor most foul to mine righteous nostrils.

Hark! Repent and self-flagellate ye sinners.

Why am i not surprised to see Mr. Le Blanc chiming in?

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
The problem with the black youth in america is that white media pumps out certified uncle toms like those depicted in the above video,
thereby corrupting the effect positive rolemodels (which there is a lack of to begin with) could have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9AmuYqjRyg

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Why am i not surprised to see Mr. Le Blanc chiming in?

Of this reference I am unfamiliar, but it is my great hope that it is an ad-hom.

I am a sick man, I am a wicked man. I must be punished.

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You made no argument, so there's nothing that could make it an ad-hominem.
However, i do indeed refer to posts you made in the past that were defending racism.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Yes, and other great parodists of the centuries have put similarly herculian effort into crafting their elaborate ironic commentary on jews always counting their gold coins, black people's affection towards disproportionally large rear ends, asians over-reliance on rice cultivation, etc. etc.

What language exactly are you parodying?
Last time i checked there are a few thousand languages on the african continent

Like I said, Yoruba, a Nigerian language. Sounds pretty drum like. Still not sure how I'm denigrating a anyone, and if I am, I certainly wouldn't call my comments "Herculean efforts of elaborate commentary" on any minority. It was all very spontaneous.

(You must really hate south park.)

I'm not making any insulting generalizations about a race, just writing random sounds that phonetically sound like African languages (and yes there are phonetical similarities between the hundreds of different ones, just like there are phonetical similarities between different Asian languages and different Latin languages.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You made no argument, so there's nothing that could make it an ad-hominem.
However, i do indeed refer to posts you made in the past that were defending racism.

But racism has such a vibrant and storied history! It must not go gentle in to that good, dusky night.

I may not be the hero racism deserves, but god damn it I am the one that it needs!

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Like I said, Yoruba, a Nigerian language. Sounds pretty drum like. Still not sure how I'm denigrating a anyone, and if I am, I certainly wouldn't call my comments "Herculean efforts of elaborate commentary" on any minority. It was all very spontaneous.

(You must really hate south park.)

Self-contradicting in the first two sentences, bravo.
Of course Yoruba has to sound drum-like, since we all know africans spend most of their time drumming on carved out coconuts in the jungle, right?
The "herculean efforts..." part was obviously sarcasm.
Because there is no parody in your parody and there is no craftsmanship involved in it.
It's just a very bad attempt at stereotypical imitation.

I'm not making any insulting generalizations about a race, just writing random sounds that phonetically sound like African languages (and yes there are phonetical similarities between the hundreds of different ones, just like there are phonetical similarities between different Asian languages and different Latin languages.

Again, either you are totally oblivious of contradicting yourself,
or you think you can get away with it easily.
You are not making insulting generalizations about a race,
but combining random phones is supposed to mimic all african languages.
Brilliant.

So, what is it?
Yoruba or the fantasy language you are "abstracting".

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
i had just snapshot a nigeria zone in google maps and made it to photoshop your usernames as disguised little towns among some repetitive stuff. it was pretty cool but way too silly to show here.
ti suck it

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Self-contradicting in the first two sentences, bravo.
Of course Yoruba has to sound drum-like, since we all know africans spend most of their time drumming on carved out coconuts in the jungle, right?
The "herculean efforts..." part was obviously sarcasm.
Because there is no parody in your parody and there is no craftsmanship involved in it.
It's just a very bad attempt at stereotypical imitation.

Again, either you are totally oblivious of contradicting yourself,
or you think you can get away with it easily.
You are not making insulting generalizations about a race,
but combining random phones is supposed to mimic all african languages.
Brilliant.

So, what is it?
Yoruba or the fantasy language you are "abstracting".

It's an imitation of yoruba, like I said. It's actually a Nigerian yoruba INFJ friend of mine who remarked the language sounded drum like, I don't think it's racist. All the words she taught me had "g" "b" "d" and o" sounds in them, which are the most rhythmic phonems in human language, you will find that beat box is mostly made up of these sounds for example.
Exert from Wikipedia drum history page:

The drum is the oldest known instrument in the world dating back to 4000 BCE in Egypt in the northeast corner of Africa.[4] It is present throughout every region of Africa playing different roles amongst the various peoples.

Exert from wikihow history of African drums page:

"The drum is perhaps the oldest musical instrument in the world, with every society employing it in varying degrees. However, it is most revered among the people of Africa, where it comes in various forms and fulfills various functions. The drum is the most important musical instrument in Africa."

Obviously other countries had drums too but Percussion as we know it today originated in Africa and is in fact an integral part of their culture. African music became blues which is full of Percussion compared to all the traditional folk songs in western culture before that, it isthe backbone of their music (and of ours as well now because we copied their rhythms into our music). And if there are similarities between their various languages and how their music sounds I'm not that suprised. In saying this I am not reducing them to coconut bashers or whatever you said. It's a great contribution to music, drums are fucking awesome, what have you got against drums you drumist bastard?

Run along now.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Am i the only one noticing an undercurrent of racism? :confused:

How can this thread be racist if "African" isn't a race? :confused:

Either way I don't see the need to argue over it if Brontosaurie himself hasn't commented. But yes there is an absence of intellectual merit, and only serves as an invitation of prejudicial drama. I would say nip it in the bud, but really only a handful of people have posted, it's not like it's out of hand or anything.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
babwosakha khasobabwakahsa babwobobow

jippan juppi joop kulkhukuhulwuhihotahul

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Alhambra allmud jamahla almarud

(overly repetitive north African name)

Jonathan charlie Alexander Johnson
Michael-eric Ericson

(overly repetitive European name)

Ex-User (9062)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
It's an imitation of yoruba, like I said. It's actually a Nigerian yoruba INFJ friend of mine who remarked the language sounded drum like, I don't think it's racist. All the words she taught me had "g" "b" "d" and o" sounds in them, which are the most rhythmic phonems in human language, you will find that beat box is mostly made up of these sounds for example.
Exert from Wikipedia drum history page:

Except that those things you listed are not actually phonemes.
Even coming from a total layman who only observed these noises according to their percussive value,
you are clearly missing a whole lot, which would include the various sounds of "s", "p", "k", "t", "d", "r", "m", "n" and a whole lot of other consonants, not even including sounds which are represented in african languages that our latinized system can't account for.
Your approach is at best ignorant.
Oh, and, needless to say, i don't buy your newly invented nigerian friend story.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog.../why-every-racist-mentions-their-black-friend

The drum is the oldest known instrument in the world dating back to 4000 BCE in Egypt in the northeast corner of Africa.[4] It is present throughout every region of Africa playing different roles amongst the various peoples.

Exer[p]t from wikihow history of African drums page:

"The drum is perhaps the oldest musical instrument in the world, with every society employing it in varying degrees. However, it is most revered among the people of Africa, where it comes in various forms and fulfills various functions. The drum is the most important musical instrument in Africa."

As a drummer and hobbyist anthropologist i don't think your wikipedia/wikihow article copy and paste job can tell me anything new.
I think it's rather sad that you have to copy and paste those findings after the fact,
it has ain air of defending your ignorance post factum.
But let us see how far your ignorance really goes by quoting the following:

Obviously other countries had drums too but Percussion as we know it today originated in Africa and is in fact an integral part of their culture. African music became blues which is full of Percussion compared to all the traditional folk songs in western culture before that, it isthe backbone of their music (and of ours as well now because we copied their rhythms into our music). And if there are similarities between their various languages and how their music sounds I'm not that suprised. In saying this I am not reducing them to coconut bashers or whatever you said. It's a great contribution to music, drums are fucking awesome, what have you got against drums you drumist bastard?

This really goes to show that you have ZERO knowledge about the music of africa.
Don't even get me started that you improvised this tangent to deflect from your linguistic shortcomings.
Percussion as we know it today is as far as you can get from traditional african percussion.
One single drum computer in western percussion has replaced a whole section of at least a dozen people in traditional african music.

It's really astonishing with how little actual knowledge you try to get away.
While it may be true, according to many theories, that the drum is the first instrument in terms of human evolution, you dismiss the fact that the african continent has developed many more advanced instruments.
By limiting your "observation" to the most basic form, you limit africans as a whole to being able of achieving only the most basic developments,
which is clearly racist.

You don't aknowledge the invention of the Balaphone going back at least to the 1300s:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXXhp_bZvck
You disrespect the invention of the Mbira:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdw5IoqUOhs
You completely ignore the fact that almost all forms of musical instruments exist in africa.
(Most probably before they even existed in europe.)

Run along now.

I won't run anywhere, kid, except if i want to.

I've uploaded two distinct examples to showcase the complexety of contemporary traditional african music:
[MP3]http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/d8hppdm5wv/Hamid_Al_Mou_excerpt.mp3
[/MP3]
[MP3]http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/a7lj90fb4j/Finekeba_Fali_Camara_excerpt.mp3[/MP3]

But i know,
their names are too repetative (which they are clearly not), i bear in mind
the fact that they don't mention titties, beer, football, references to soap opera series and hollywood celebrities, which must entirely bore you out of your skull, so i spare you the rest.
DON'T YOU DARE TO COMPARE THESE COMPLEX ARRANGEMENTS TO YOUR WESTERN CONTEMPORARY LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR POP TRASH "MUSIC".

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 6:54 PM
-->
O.J.

Also, I'm not racist. I'm pro white. :eek:

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
salmoneus: stfu, we ain't got no racism here. i'm glad you read a book about racism and think you an apply that perspective at whatever opportunity. it must feel great. too bad you're just perpetuating the racism by associating anything "african" with "racism". now gtfo and let us have our enormous fun. african-sounding names are joyous and beautiful and they arouse the mind.

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
-->
salmoneus: stfu, we ain't got no racism here. i'm glad you read a book about racism and think you an apply that perspective at whatever opportunity. it must feel great. too bad you're just perpetuating the racism by associating anything "african" with "racism". now gtfo and let us have our enormous fun. african-sounding names are joyous and beautiful and they arouse the mind.

Post%20of%20the%20day.gif

I chuckled

also found this on google
IRJjQTs.jpg

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Jesus Christ Salmoneus, you're fighting a phantom in your head, not Higs. Stop projecting that phantom unto her.

We can't speak of other cultures without being ignorant, but we'll be more ignorant if we don't because of that. Your attitude is counterproductive.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
We can't speak of other cultures without being ignorant, but we'll be more ignorant if we don't because of that. Your attitude is counterproductive.

Counterproductive to what? The only purpose of this thread was to list repetitive "African" names. Not any discussion of cultural differences and enlightenment thereof.

Bock

caffeine fiend
Local time
-->
Ukulolong Long Lokoloklong Long

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Counterproductive to what? The only purpose of this thread was to list repetitive "African" names. Not any discussion of cultural differences and enlightenment thereof.

Salmon's basically saying if you don't know another culture you shouldn't speak of it because if you're wrong or you ain't got the whole picture then you're being ignorant and/or racist. Which presupposes that racism and ignorance are bad things. Which means we want less racism and ignorance. But by not speaking of other cultures out of fear of being racists or ignorant we will learn less of them which will yield more racism and ignorance in the end.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
-->
Post%20of%20the%20day.gif

I chuckled

also found this on google
IRJjQTs.jpg

If the forum administration is pro drama then why were BAP, Hawkeye and Base groove banned?

Salmon's basically saying if you don't know another culture you shouldn't speak of it because if you're wrong or you ain't got the whole picture then you're being ignorant and/or racist. Which presupposes that racism and ignorance are bad things. Which means we want less racism and ignorance. But by not speaking of other cultures out of fear of being racists or ignorant we will learn less of them which will yield more racism and ignorance in the end.
Are you claiming this thread has a goal of learning more about cultures? If it did then what you said would make sense.

However, if that isn't the goal of this thread or any individual member's motivation for contributing here, then what you said is just an empty, albeit articulate, excuse.

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
Today 7:54 AM
-->
If this was any other forum, this thread would have ended so so differently... I mean, who would guess we we would actually start writing repetitive african names and then have a somewhat mature discussion about racism!

bhumdre oubou doubou akwe duru

I love you guys. Sometimes.

Cherry Cola

Banned
Local time
-->
Are you claiming this thread has a goal of learning more about cultures? If it did then what you said would make sense.

However, if that isn't the goal of this thread or any individual member's motivation for contributing here, then what you said is just an empty, albeit articulate, excuse.

What? No? I ain't talking about the thread. Uke Omkot uke.

Sema

Local time
-->
How about using real african names?

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:54 PM
-->
That wouldn't work since real African names aren't overly repetitive.

Anktark

of the swarm
Local time
Today 7:54 AM
-->
It is obvious what this thread is for. Look at the acronym of the thread title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom