• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

strategical or tactical?

what person are you?

• strategy

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • tactics

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 4:22 AM
-->
You can choose you're own definition source (post it then) but I propose ones from here:
http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Tactics_and_strategy

I like the two lines the most:
Tactics

If Tactical types assess their actions to be directed towards a concrete goal, when the goal is reached they feel a sensation of emptiness, disappointment.

Strategy

Without having a conscious goal, Strategists feel as if something is missing and their life is incomplete. They experience discomfort and feel disoriented.

Edit:
also say your type if you're not INTP

Mordecai

Nostalgic Time Transcender
Local time
Yesterday 11:22 PM
-->
Assuming you are asking which one we identify more with, I'd certainly have to go with tactical. I'm just not the goal-setting type

Direwolf

Local time
Today 1:22 PM
-->
Strategical i dont set concrete goals

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Yesterday 10:22 PM
-->
Based on link shared by Abs, tactical. Always tactical. Its not the best strategy to use a tactical approach, but it comes really easy to me.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 12:52 PM
-->
I have the goal of putting myself in a position where I'm more able to achieve goals I might think of later.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Hear is a question: Do N types usually focus more on goals or methods? What about S types?

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Yesterday 8:22 PM
-->
You can choose you're own definition source (post it then) but I propose ones from here:

Tactics

If Tactical types assess their actions to be directed towards a concrete goal, when the goal is reached they feel a sensation of emptiness, disappointment.

Strategy

Without having a conscious goal, Strategists feel as if something is missing and their life is incomplete. They experience discomfort and feel disoriented.

Edit:
also say your type if you're not INTP

your description does not summarize the link you provided well.

Tactics
Focus on methods, and manipulate them, with goals unsettled.
Goals are defined by, and modified to fit methods.
Prefers to expand options. Doesn't like to have too few of them.

Strategy
Focus on goals, and manipulate them, with methods unsettled.
Methods are defined by, and modified to fit goals.
Prefers to defend goals. Doesn't like to be forced to deviate from them.

Based on the above I am tactical.

I wonder if a lot who selected strategy would have selected tactical based on this definition.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Oh right my type: IXXX

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
-->
I think definitions I provided are good enought. When I was playing Warcraft 3 with my ISFP friend, I have always provided main strategy, number of each specific units, various cases of enemy movies and our responses to them, managing resources (I had one gold mine more than him, but was giving him some gold). I also played more defensive and he more agressive, and everything was planned by me. I wanted to win each game, this was my only goal, when he wanted just fun from destroying enemies, sometimes he was pleased even if we lost. I was always angry.

So I and my friend fit to theese definitions, me - strategy, him - tactics;

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Giving an example of where tactics are implemented poorly is not fair to the value of tactics. Wouldn't you agree?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Yesterday 9:22 PM
-->
Tactical when I was younger for sure, strategic now, according to those definitions.

In MBTI terms however Keirsey was a wordsmith kind of guy and precisely used these terms, with tactical describing INTJ sought and strategic describing INTP. Tactical is more of a specific path to get to a end goal whereas strategic is a plan to get there, but they both are goal oriented.

INTP's are typically goal oriented too, having a judging dominant.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 11:22 AM
-->
Probably Tactical.

OrLevitate

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 8:22 PM
-->
I'm intrinsically luminous, mortals. I'm 4ever

Tactics

Your strange take on "tactical" is more similar to self-defeating personality disorder, specifically Millon's subtype of self-undoing?

manipulator said:
Strategy

Your take on "strategists" is equally perplexing; "Without having a conscious goal, ____ feel as if something is missing and their life is incomplete. They experience discomfort and feel disoriented."
Maybe Tony Robbins, Oprah, or Doctor Phil can help the strategists. The bible is available to be read online.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 5:22 AM
-->
your description does not summarize the link you provided well.

Tactics
Focus on methods, and manipulate them, with goals unsettled.
Goals are defined by, and modified to fit methods.
Prefers to expand options. Doesn't like to have too few of them.

Strategy
Focus on goals, and manipulate them, with methods unsettled.
Methods are defined by, and modified to fit goals.
Prefers to defend goals. Doesn't like to be forced to deviate from them.

Based on the above I am tactical.

I wonder if a lot who selected strategy would have selected tactical based on this definition.

going by this I am generally inclined to be tactical.

Examples:

I invent a way of using my computer efficiently, before i decide what exactly to do with it. (Even though I will also invent methods that ought to work towards only one specific goal, but i will often get lost in the creative urge to improve the method.) The method gives birth to possibilities and inspiration.

Likewise i try to change who i am in life in subjective terms, ie become more fearless, instead of changing my life towards a particular external image, like having more independence or being more loving (i wouldn't know in advance which of those two external goal is a better manifestation of the method of fearlessness).

I have the goal of putting myself in a position where I'm more able to achieve goals I might think of later.

Exactly.

I also have to try and be strategic, because life demands it. But i can't bear being strategic about more than one or two things.

Example:

I try to loose weight.
I would like to get laid some day again.
I don't like to be forced to deviate from these goals.
Zero tolerance for provider/beta-shaming.

Whatever i have to do, to attain these goals, i might eventually, after much procrastination, do all of these things.

Being tactical is introverted (subject suggest method), being strategic is extroverted (environment demands a goal), but i doubt you can lock it down to a function, because what ever type of extroversion one has, it will define a clear goal and thus demand the method of strategy.

At the same time adaptive types (Pe) might be better at being tactical, directive types might be better at being strategic.

it seems for me JiNe is tactical, SiJe is strategic.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 5:22 AM
-->
Tactics

Strategy

This formulation is way too confusing ....

If my understanding is right, the tactical type would feel uncreative, whenever he doesn't know what to do with his ductus of subjective methods or when he has no opportunity to train and expand this ductus, however he would search for a goal inside, a new inspiration. What could i accomplish with what i have?

The strategic type would feel the urge to find something in his scenario that calls for fixing or improvement or meddling with. Could be social relationships as well. If he can't find something, he might feel a restlessness and boredom, that he can't understand, because he is more conscious of his goals than of his drive.

It gets way to complicated if we would have to take into consideration which goals are concrete and which goals are conscious. It may have been a random choice of words?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I always thought Si dom people had a really good strategic mind. Not because they can think things through, but because they remember everything so they can always "predict" how things will end up.

RandomGeneratedName

Main Reactor
Local time
-->
I used to test as INTJ for a while, then out of the blue tested INTP.

Found out INTPs frequently test as Js for whatever reason.
INTP did actually fit a lot better than J.

and in that moment I went from INTJ Total War contingency uber planning strategist,
to INTP fuck it, i'll wing it.

That was a weight off. :D

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 12:52 PM
-->
By the clarified definitions I'm more strategic, but I'm in that stupid place where I don't value many goals. When I decide on a goal I obsessively refine the method to better achieve it, but usually I don't think things are actually worth it. Not at an intrinsic level anyway.

Top Bottom