• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Seeking political asylum

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 1:38 PM
-->
Hi,

I am a refugee from INTPc (I do not have an intro thread there :) ), and perhaps some of you know who I am. To say that I was unpopular there would probably be an understatement (strangely enough nobody ever banned me or put me in purgatory there). I created my account here while I was still posting there.

Even after I stopped posting on INTPc I didn't start on here immediately as I felt at the time that INTP message boards were an undesirable influence in my life, but I don't think I can survive too long without contact with a significant number of other like-minded human beings. I am not very intelligent and do not write very well (English is not my native language although it is nominally my first language), though, so do be patient with me.

It is not my intention to create trouble. This INTP hopes that this humble offering will be acceptable in your sight. The eyes should be especially tasty; though optic jelly may be an acquired taste for some.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

May you live for your desired duration and prosper as much or as little as you wish.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 6:38 AM
-->
Why exactly are you unpopular in the neighborhood?

Fedayeen

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:38 PM
-->

Artifice Orisit

Welcome Walfin,
Cultists are accepted here, inexperienced half-assed wannabe cult leaders are not.
Sadism and Hannibal Lectures are encouraged, unimaginative petty insults are not.
If somebody tries to horrifically mutilate you, chances they want to be your friend.
If somebody is really nice and says they like you, run for your life, don't hesitate.
Lastly, hugs are a form of physical assault... or worse.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 6:38 PM
-->
*hugs Cognisant* I'll catch up with you later sweetie ;)

Walfin.... I hope your papers are in order?

Or must we process you as we do all asylum seekers in the lucky land of Oz?

ie. stick you on a coral atoll till either you go insane or rising ocean levels cleanse you forever from our memory?

of course.... your processing may be hastened.... for the appropriate inducement....

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
Today 1:38 AM
-->
At least the new guy had the decency to bring hors d'oeuvres.

Would be nice to have something to wash it down with though........

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 6:38 PM
-->
If he has important state secrets from his former abode to divulge then I shall supply drinks for all.

Bloody Marys I expect.

Walfin.... why are you exiled?

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
Bloody Marys? Hell, Bloody anything!

Now Walfin may not be comfortable disclosing such information out in the open. Here, take my magic decoder ring.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 6:38 AM
-->
You do know that everyone here is from INTPc, we just go by different names. We're watching you.

O_O

:) <---- Look at this deceptively happy guy. Watching you. Always watching you.

Now, now. We don't do anything like that here.

*shoves all INTP/intelligence community affiliations into a closet*

Nope, we are just here for fun :D

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
Well, technically I'm not on exile, I just emigrated. My account there is still usable.

Was out of my country without a computer for the past 3 days so I didn't post.

nobody said:
LIES!!! I did no such thing....:p
My apologies to the little nobody. :p

NoID10ts said:
Deceptively happy? You mean...not overjoyed to have the privilege of watching me?

sagewolf

Badass Longcat
Local time
-->
Lost, after wandering irresponsibly away from the
3 days without a computer? Sounds rough. ;)

Welcome to the community. Ignore NoI: he's just upset that :eek: finally found him again.

And now we have an army of the little buggers to deal with... ...I mean, yum, lunch. :evil:

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
Yesterday 11:38 PM
-->

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
sagewolf said:
3 days without a computer?
Well, I survived 11 years without a computer (as I imagine you might have too), so 3 days isn't much :p.

Tekton said:
Yay, a stated understatement! It's like the rethorical version of calling your attacks.
Lol. <-That's an understatement too

Da Blob

Banned
Local time
Today 12:38 AM
-->
You do know that everyone here is from INTPc, we just go by different names. We're watching you.

O_O

:cool:

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:38 AM
-->
I've never even been on INTP Central. Actually, that's a filthy lie, I've been there once, but I soon left for some reason or other. The experience did not leave much in the way of a lasting impression, it would seem.

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
Yesterday 10:38 PM
-->
Ugh... INTPc left a terrible taste in my mouth. Like eating moldy sandpaper.

Welcome aboard! We actually like each other here (though you might need to decrypt the sentiment sometimes)

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
Decaf said:
Ugh... INTPc left a terrible taste in my mouth. Like eating moldy sandpaper.

Welcome aboard! We actually like each other here (though you might need to decrypt the sentiment sometimes)
I wouldn't say the problem lies with INTPc in my case; it's me, not them.

*starts pulling out the ol' dusty tomes of 3DES and MD5 cracking, knowing that they're a piece of cake compared to /bin/INTP --encrypt

Local time
-->
The land where a merlion is the country's official
I've trudged into the lands of INTPc with a weary mind (well actually, I just stumbled upon there while googling stuff at wee hours in the morning) and basically posted my results of whatever tests I came upon there. Not to be self-righteous or arrogant, but is it me, or is that place a little... unpalatable? It was rife with illogicality, generalised statements, pompous and self-righteous people that I didn't bother surfing further, and came back here. It's... nicer here, for some odd reason. Perhaps it's less bright? Or the people here are not too silly?

-shrugs-

But in any case, there are way more topics there than here. I might find something interesting there, I guess. Probability says so :p

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
Well I did stay there for more than a year, so I can't quite say it was because I found it unpalatable. I was very happy when I found it (don't think this place existed back then). I wouldn't say the place is rife with illogicality even if the pomposity part might be true.

Anyway I think it's me, not them. I found that I was rather unpopular, and while I don't need to be popular, I don't like being an outcast either. Especially not in an online forum when I'm already an outcast irl. Still it's rather sad that their linux threads in the computer subforum were so noob unfriendly and tended to degenerate into flame wars.

Local time
-->
Well I did stay there for more than a year, so I can't quite say it was because I found it unpalatable. I was very happy when I found it (don't think this place existed back then). I wouldn't say the place is rife with illogicality even if the pomposity part might be true.

Anyway I think it's me, not them. I found that I was rather unpopular, and while I don't need to be popular, I don't like being an outcast either. Especially not in an online forum when I'm already an outcast irl. Still it's rather sad that their linux threads in the computer subforum were so noob unfriendly and tended to degenerate into flame wars.

You make it sound like you've reached pariah status or something :eek:

You're being too hard on yourself! Was there anything which they did to make it seem like they really did not like you?

Anyway it's so late... not asleep yet? :P

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
Actually, no. I don't know. I just felt like an outcast, in my own little corner on the citadel walls, never really being let in into a city where everyone was in their own little commune, and that I wasn't really contributing much in the way of quality discussion any more. After all I went there primarily to talk about interesting things.

I visited recently and the place seems lively again. Don't know about quality since I didn't really read, but the volume of activity is certainly up. Bah, it's just like the equity markets. I always close my positions too early. :mad: But anyway I wasn't really adding much to the place so I don't think it makes a difference.

Local time
-->
Actually, no. I don't know. I just felt like an outcast, in my own little corner on the citadel walls, never really being let in into a city where everyone was in their own little commune, and that I wasn't really contributing much in the way of quality discussion any more. After all I went there primarily to talk about interesting things.

I visited recently and the place seems lively again. Don't know about quality since I didn't really read, but the volume of activity is certainly up. Bah, it's just like the equity markets. I always close my positions too early. :mad: But anyway I wasn't really adding much to the place so I don't think it makes a difference.

Ohhh... totally understand what you mean. You don't feel a sense of belonging; a sense of being wanted for your opinions there. You don't feel particularly valued despite your contributions, hmm?

Actually if you see it from a detached POV, there can be two choices- either you continue trying to push your way in and then make your name a familiar one (usually it comes pretty easy for those who tend to say things out of the norm- they get peoples' attention and make an impact in their memories) and let people gradually accept you into their (already) closely knit community, or, you build this wall against your hurt self and hence end up shying away from those who you think are not that into you.

Very familiar territory, I am the same as you; I do the latter in real life. I think it's a defence mechanism; removal of one's self before the rest make their need for your removal apparent, although it mightn't be really true.

You're a pretty sensitive soul at heart aren't you? :)

And you're also another someone who's pretty hard on himself. Oh well, at least things are much better here for you. I wish I had something comforting to say, but I'm somewhat at a blank for comforting words. This is out of my arena because I don't even know how to handle it myself. I am afraid I can only share what I have learnt :(

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
Lol you make me seem like an INFP.

Comforting words aren't necessary. Small matter.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
I'm back...after a long hiatus. I have nothing to do as I am currently unemployed (although I could go back to my previous job). I'm here to hopefully seek support from like-minded people, even though I'm now an INFP.

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
-->
I'm back...after a long hiatus. I have nothing to do as I am currently unemployed (although I could go back to my previous job). I'm here to hopefully seek support from like-minded people, even though I'm now an INFP.

Welcome back. How do you define support? How do you define like-minded people?

I joined a few weeks back, so I'm new compared to most people here, though getting the hang of things. I'm INTx and I know lots of INFPs.

What is holding you back from going back to your previous job?

Where would you like to be, if not at your previous job?

Local time
-->
I'm asking
  1. What are the actual conditions/criteria for asylum? They are actually quite tough and you pretty much have to prove them. e.g. in any Muslim majority country you declare yourself a Christian convert or an atheist, or Hindu ( they loathe "idol worshippers" more)
  2. You said something politically incorrect in your country, and now you are getting death threats. REFUSED. Conservatives have been beaten, shot at, smashed up with brain bleeds and surgery with staples to their heads. It's normal in America. Asylum refused!
  3. I was raped and I'm scared it will happen again. because there is a low level civil unrest, where I come from. Give me asylum!! Yeah sure, we are going tp send to you to Baltimore - more dangerous than El Salvador/Guatamala/Colombia etc. or Chicago, poor area - equal to where you came from!
Facts are cruel and informative. Facts tell us a lot. Facts help us decide stuff.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->

I joined a few weeks back, so I'm new compared to most people here, though getting the hang of things. I'm INTx and I know lots of INFPs.

I had a great deal of anxiety just doing my normal work. I'm trying to overcome it.

Also, I've been finding that I did not enjoy my previous line of work (I was a litigation lawyer). I've been trying to find a job as a computer programmer instead (I also have a relevant degree in that), without success.

Rebis

Blessed are the hearts that can bend
Local time
-->
It is mind boggling that you returned after so long.

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
-->

I had a great deal of anxiety just doing my normal work. I'm trying to overcome it.

Also, I've been finding that I did not enjoy my previous line of work (I was a litigation lawyer). I've been trying to find a job as a computer programmer instead (I also have a relevant degree in that), without success.
Understandable, especially since you were in law.

That's good that you're trying to overcome it. In the worst case the anxiety doesn't blow over, try not to be too emotionally hard on yourself.

Hm, I'm assuming you've either already created a showcase of projects of sorts, or are working on it. Degrees alone seem not to be enough for a lot of employers. I imagine the expectation is something in line with needing at least one internship/other experience + directly relevant skillset.

There are so many things to consider in finding a job these days. It's crazy.

Also the HR (human resource or hiring) process (at least in the U.S.) can be hilarious. You might have to go through people who sometimes hire without concrete understanding of why skills they are hiring for are necessary.

Of course there is then the opposite effect where if HR hires only for direct relevance of skillsets without considering "soft skills" or "culture fit", it might not work out for both parties.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
-->
Understandable, especially since you were in law.

That's good that you're trying to overcome it. In the worst case the anxiety doesn't blow over, try not to be too emotionally hard on yourself.

Hm, I'm assuming you've either already created a showcase of projects of sorts, or are working on it. Degrees alone seem not to be enough for a lot of employers. I imagine the expectation is something in line with needing at least one internship/other experience + directly relevant skillset.

There are so many things to consider in finding a job these days. It's crazy.

Also the HR (human resource or hiring) process (at least in the U.S.) can be hilarious. You might have to go through people who sometimes hire without concrete understanding of why skills they are hiring for are necessary.

Of course there is then the opposite effect where if HR hires only for direct relevance of skillsets without considering "soft skills" or "culture fit", it might not work out for both parties.
I do have my own projects. I have a currently unprofitable shell company (https://customautosys.com). But I'm not even getting interviews for computer programming jobs (they probably toss my resume the moment they see that I don't really have "real world" software engineering experience).

You seem very nice for an INTx. Sure there's no F in there anywhere? ;P

Top Bottom