• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Scrooge was bipolar

MichiganJFrog

Rupert Pupkin's stalker
Local time
Yesterday 7:46 PM
-->
Supporting evidence

• Aural and visual hallucinations
  • Insomnia
  • An unpredictable temper
  • Aversive childhood memories
  • Delusional thinking

He had just about all symptoms except hypersexuality.

Local time
Today 1:46 AM
-->
Nope ;-P

Bipolar implies Scrooge experienced manic high phases as well as being a depressive grouch. Throughout the story (to my understanding, as I've never read the whole thing in book form) he was a misanthrope until the end. This, coupled with the fact that most bipolar patients experience hallucinations and delusions only while in the manic phase, casts doubt on the bipolar diagnosis.

Scrooge was schizoaffective ;) (and the aversive childhood memories may indicate comorbid PTSD. *MINDFUCK!*)

MichiganJFrog

Rupert Pupkin's stalker
Local time
Yesterday 7:46 PM
-->
Bipolar implies Scrooge experienced manic high phases as well as being a depressive grouch. Throughout the story (to my understanding, as I've never read the whole thing in book form) he was a misanthrope until the end. This, coupled with the fact that most bipolar patients experience hallucinations and delusions only while in the manic phase, casts doubt on the bipolar diagnosis.

I totally forgot to mention the full-on mania at the end, as evidenced by the hysterical laughter, tearing around the neighborhood, and reckless spending. But if none of that is in the book (which I've never read either), then, yeah, cripes, that totally messes with my head :confused: and throws my whole hypothesis out the friggin' window.

Never mind

Local time
Today 1:46 AM
-->
I totally forgot to mention the full-on mania at the end, as evidenced by the hysterical laughter, tearing around the neighborhood, and reckless spending.

Schizoaffective bipolar subtype is ~3/4 bipolar with manic/hypomanic stages, so that still fits.

Top Bottom