• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Romantic fiction, chick lit, etc.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 2:48 PM
-->
How many of you read this kinda stuff?

I wonder if I am atypical for an INTP or if it's actually rather common.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:48 PM
-->
No, I don't mind a romantic subplot but as the main plot it doesn't hold my interest.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Yesterday 11:48 PM
-->
I don't do much reading, but I watch a lot of anime. I love romantic stories. I am quite a romantically lonely person, though. So that might explain why I like them.

Is there any particular reason why you like them?

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
Today 2:48 AM
-->
No, I don't mind a romantic subplot but as the main plot it doesn't hold my interest.

Same. Hence, Pride and Prejudice is a book that I'd like to exterminate... with extreme prejudice.

-Duxwing

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
-->
I'm picky about my romantic stuff. I don't read books I typically just see as "romantic" books. However, I'll enjoy movies that deal with romantic themes as a subplot and occasionally enjoy a movie that revolves around one.

And I actually really enjoyed the movie version of Pride & Prejudiced with Keira Knightley, yet I've never tried to read the book.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 2:48 PM
-->
I should love to want to watch the film versions of Northanger Abbey, Sense & Sensibility etc.

But the book's always better :p.

I don't know why I like romantic fiction though (including modern books e.g. Shopaholic series).

Local time
-->
Add me to the list who enjoys romantic subplots.

Also, I loathe love triangles. In my life, whenever a triangle presented itself (in my interest being interested in someone else as well), I removed myself from the situation. I'm not interested in romantic competition, so I certainly don't want to read about it in my spare time. I like people who value their partners, and so are loyal and single-minded towards them.

Sorry, mini-rant lol.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->

Also, I loathe love triangles. In my life, whenever a triangle presented itself (in my interest being interested in someone else as well), I removed myself from the situation. I'm not interested in romantic competition, so I certainly don't want to read about it in my spare time. I like people who value their partners, and so are loyal and single-minded towards them.

Sorry, mini-rant lol.

What's your type, by the way?

-Duxwing

Local time
-->
What's your type, by the way?

-Duxwing

Type personality type? INTP.

Type book type? Fantasy (Juliet Marillier or Edith Pattou), science fiction (Anne McCaffrey), or any emotionally moving drama (The Room by Emma Donoghue).

I know that not all of those have romance, but it's my general book type. I'm actually starting Game of Thrones right now, though-- it's really enthralling so far :) I can't wait to get into it!

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
-->

Sorry, mini-rant lol.

I love love triangles. They are such a fun plot device. Also, when you get caught up int the characters, a painful one. I remember watching an anime called School Rumble. It was 52 painful episodes. I wanted one guy to get the girl, but I realized that the other guy the girl was after is great for her too, but I totally felt for guy one. I know what unrequited love feels like. They found a handy way to wrap things up, but the series got cancelled, so I had to use what the left me to piece together how it ends. I loved that show.

Local time
-->
I love love triangles. They are such a fun plot device. Also, when you get caught up int the characters, a painful one. I remember watching an anime called School Rumble. It was 52 painful episodes. I wanted one guy to get the girl, but I realized that the other guy the girl was after is great for her too, but I totally felt for guy one. I know what unrequited love feels like. They found a handy way to wrap things up, but the series got cancelled, so I had to use what the left me to piece together how it ends. I loved that show.

Lol see, most people do. I'm just a killjoy :) I have such little tolerance for romantic indecision-- particularly in books, it seems almost pandering. Bleh. I'll just go be a scrooge over here in the corner and try not to ruin other folks' fun

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
Today 6:48 AM
-->
I have never found a film as romantically convincing as The Lion King.

Lion King fan-fiction is awesome (probably).

Junk

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:48 AM
-->
I read non fiction. However, I'm about to pick up my first fiction book since Harry Potter in elementary school. Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem. One of the covers of the book is a man's and a woman's faces kissing. http://www.google.com/imgres?biw=1152&bih=659&tbm=isch&tbnid=R4TF7GF3sxlRBM:&imgrefurl=http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/95558.Solaris&docid=mYEyopiUHg4suM&imgurl=http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355011529l/95558.jpg&w=314&h=475&ei=Jbd3Ub2VJIjniALNt4H4AQ&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:24,s:0,i:164&iact=rc&dur=211&page=2&tbnh=204&tbnw=131&start=21&ndsp=21&tx=50&ty=102

It should be some sort of romantic sci fi (psychological). I think I'm trying to satisfy my need for a romantic relationship with this book.

Peripheral Visionary

Eye In Tee-Pee
Local time
Today 1:48 AM
-->
I am a man who likes Jane Austen. I read 50 Shades and thought about how far we've fallen. Not that I am prudish about the s&m, just boggled at how the racy and scandalous nature of the situations could be made banal under the weight of awful prose.

"The Art of Seduction" by Robert Greene is a great non-fiction book for those interested in true stories of romance and the games of love.

EditorOne

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@Katspajamas
Anne McCaffrey. I started reading about Pern and the mostly female protagonists when I was in my 30s and was instantly hooked. It's good storytelling, regardless of genre.

In general, just to clarify: One of the meanings of "romantic", especially in literature, is simply "marked by the imaginative or emotional appeal of what is heroic, adventurous, remote, mysterious, or idealized." Not necessarily involving a relationship between two people. Given that some literature appeals to imagination, INTPs are kind of susceptible. Given that we aren't as good managing emotion as we are with our thinking, I'd not be surprised that some of us are attracted to very trashy emotional literature from time to time. :D
It's a good thing I like who I am. Otherwise, what a burden I'd be on myself ....

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 7:48 AM
-->
I had a brief period of interest in "chick lit" primarily on fictionpress when I was 16. I haven't looked back, it makes me cringe now. Especially the stuff with "independent" sassy main females and bastard boyfriends.

Paratale

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Interesting thread because I've always had a rather embarrassing soft spot for good love stories.

I'm super picky about them, though, and most books specifically about a romantic relationship bore me (especially YA, unless it's Sarah Dessen or John Green). So what I'll end up doing is I'll find a pair that gives me warm fuzzies (to the point of obsession--stuff is like drugs) within a larger story, i.e. Game of Thrones and whatnot, and then I'll read all the fluffy fanfiction.

I've even tried writing a bit of my own romance in the past, but it was... um... Shameful. :facepalm:

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
I'm very into Simone de Beauvoir's fiction which I personally classify as existential chick lit. She Came to Stay is an all-time personal favorite.

Another chick lit-y book I particularly enjoyed was Here, Kitty Kitty by Jardine Libaire. Sometimes it's fun to escape into a highly sensory world indirectly especially when the novel is punctuated by insight rather than being very event-driven. I actually cannot tolerate a lot of science fiction for this very reason although conceptually I am drawn to it.

Hayyel

Local time
Today 8:48 AM
-->
when I was around 14 I discovered those grshy short stories that rely mostly on lust and sex. I found them fun but I quit reading them after the first few because they became boring and predictable. I tried reading sense and sensebility and other books but I hated them because of the way they are written. I don't mind the movies, tho. Books where love is just a subplot are fun, tho I generally don't concentrate on the love parts (Hunger games... the love triangle was tedious and frustrating, but the action was good). Nowadays the only kind of love story I like is a single kind of fanfiction. Twisted, eh?

Top Bottom